Home server, slim nettops on their way from Lenovo

Lenovo might be a tad late to the game, but it’s planning some compact nettops and an Atom-powered home server system. So points out Engadget, linking the company’s Twitter account as evidence. The tweets aren’t exactly overflowing with details, but they contain image links and product names: IdeaCentre D400 for the server and IdeaCenter Q100 and Q110 for the nettops, which are purportedly "some of the thinnest . . . in the world."

We’ve hosted the images a gallery below for your convenience. If you’re aching for more details, then you might want to head over to Windows Home Server blog We Got Served, which scavenged information about the D400 from "a number of Chinese websites."

The IdeaCentre D400 has reportedly been available in the Far East since August 5. Judging by the photos showing the front-panel door open, the system has a similar form factor to Acer’s Aspire easyStore H340. A screenshot of the management control panel suggests similar hardware, too: a 1.6GHz Atom 230 and 1GB of RAM. The D400 is said to draw only 40W of power—although that probably depends on what kind of hard drives you put in it.

• RagingDragon

ooops. was meant to be a reply. fixing…..

• a_non_moose

NAS is nice and useful for home/work environments but does the Atom have the oomph to actually get the job done?

Take Snapservers vs PogoLinux boxes:
    Snaps were great for a couple of ppl doing stuff that did not require network speed, but fell over with >5ppl doing *anything* because they were horribly underpowered. Silent, tho.

Pogo’s were horribly overpowered (heck I had “my” server folding 24/7 and never an issue with network speed) and loud (60mm ‘screamers’ like the old delta screamers).

Snap’s 486 could never saturate/transact enough on a 100Mbit line (IIRC you needed at *least* a dual 450 + IDE Raid0/decent SCSI2 card).

Other side of the coin: Pogo I had in the server room was a dual 2.6(?) with 2G mem and 2.2TB array + 2x 1Gb ports (added 1Gb Fiber because I could). But Redhat AS2 hated the 2Gmem, AS3 barfed at >2TB array and AS4 it was, despite being bleeding edge at the time.

Anywho the question is: Atom based NAS = Snap or Pogo or Happy Medium (TM)?

• eloj

My next server is unlikely to have less than 4GB of memory. The memory restrictions on these atom chipsets are ridiculous.

• demani

I’m actually very interested- a slow CPU doesn’t matter for this at all, but power does.

• iatacs19

Is an intel Atom powerful enough for NAS usage?

I had an Infrant X6 and NV and their processor was too slow at the time. Now after Netgear bought them out, they are using Core Duo CPUs which have improved performance significantly on all levels.

• Machupo

I went with a QNAP 409pro a year ago and haven’t had an issue… good services too. it’d take something pretty dramatic to make me upgrade.

• mieses

One good reason to use Qnap is that they run Linux.

• Usacomp2k3

Not as petite as my HP EX470. Still glad to see more OEM’s onboard.

• Ihmemies

If you don’t want to keep it running 24/7…

Me, being a cheapskate, I use my only pc for everything. A server would be nice though.

• dpaus

Well, this has been posted for a few hours, and so far has drawn a deafening yawn…

I just don’t get the whole “home server” concept. To me, the most compelling reason for a powerful home PC is as the core of a media/entertainment system, and if you’ve got one of those, why not simply use /[

• Forge

Why do I like my WHS?

It does centrally-stored automatic backups. I didn’t think I’d care at first, but I’m really really liking it as I use it more.

It provides a single central location for all my files. With a couple nice big hard disks in my EX485, I can put all my movies and TV shows in one place. This is a big improvement for my wife. She used to get her show/movie cut off and have to restart/seek every time I fiddled with my PC or rebooted. Now it’s in one place and is perpetually available.

It hosts WSUS beautifully. Having a local Windows Update repeater is awesome once you have more than 4 or 5 Windows PCs.

It burns far less electricity than my original media server. I can leave it on 24/7 and it’s cheaper than my old server up for 12 hours a day.

I could go on. It’s one of those gadgets that lacks a really killer app, but offers so much room to tinker that you can’t help but use it for all sorts of things.

• shank15217

I like putting all my eggs in one basket too.

• dpaus

/[

• RagingDragon

Backup the NAS to either and external SATA drive or one of your PC’s.

• flip-mode

Backup plan = 2 baskets.

Redundant backups = 3+ baskets.

• sparkman

It can be inconvenient for your desktop machine to be always on. Especially if you dual-boot between Windows, Linux, etc. Or if your home network has many computers. Or if you run lots of games or other speed-sensitive apps and you don’t want other people slowing those apps down for you. Or if you are concerned about power-efficiency and your desktop PC is a power hog.

In those situations you may want something like a $300 Home Server Cube: §[< http://www.techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=67367<]§

• dpaus