Nokia unveils sleek, slim Atom netbook

Just over two months after making a vague announcement about a long-term partnership with Intel, Nokia has uneveiled its very first Atom-powered netbook. Surprising, right?

Nokia is keeping detailed specs and pricing under wraps until September 2, but it has still released images and a few key details to get the hype train rolling. Dubbed the Booklet 3G, the netbook will have a 10-inch "HD ready" glass display, a 0.78" thick aluminum chassis, HDMI output, and connectivity options including 3G/HSPA, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and assisted GPS.

And it doesn’t look half bad, judging by the images (see below) and the promotional video.

Impressively, Nokia says the Booklet 3G will weigh only 2.76 lbs yet deliver battery life as high as 12 hours. Considering those attributes plus the unusually thin chassis—by netbook standards, at least—we wouldn’t be surprised if the device featured Intel’s next-generation Atom system-on-a-chip.

Intel recently reiterated that the Pine Trail platform, which will bring that SoC to netbooks, is still on track to ship for revenue this year. By virtue of being a two-chip solution with both processor and graphics components on a single 45nm die, Pine Trail should allow both slimmer designs and longer battery life than the current Atom platform.

• rUmX

While I’m not particularly fond of Nokia products, this Netbook looks nice… although the pictures aren’t real since they’re computer generated.

If the 12 hour battery life is true then… take that, Apple!!

• geekl33tgamer

Erm, can you say that again in English please? Or stop typing with your gloves on!

• tocatl

They have the U200 & U210, wich its a sempron at 1ghz and at 1.5ghz, with a chipset with a x1200 radeon graphics, according to AMD those are for “Ultrathin Notebooks”, but so far, i havent heard of a cheap notebook with that hardware…

• ludi

So basically, they’re trying to drive screws, someone upstairs is handing them hammers, you’re getting to field the complaints? Fine, but that doesn’t mean there is anything wrong with the netbooks, merely that the userbase apparently has performance requirements that a netbook cannot meet.

Meanwhile, I spent two hours and forty minutes on an airplane at the beginning of the week, and was reminded yet again of how I do love my Aspire One’s ability to fit on a tray table while still leaving room for a drink cup. And in spite of all the “horrid performance” I hear so much about, media playback and Word both worked fine as always.

shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up

• UberGerbil

My Nokia lasts something like a week with no talking, but it’s not an all-singing-all-dancing smart phone either.

But cellphones are designed from the transistors up to save power; there’s a pretty hard limit to what Nokia, or any OEM, can bring to the equation when most of the guts are from 3rd parties.

• talktojld

hmmm

Cell Phones today last what… 2 maybe 3 days on a charge???

And I remember my old phone from 1998 lasted 5 days on a charge…

So what do you mean by that comment anyway?

• talktojld

I’m no joker. I’ve had to deal with CRAPPY netbooks a few times at work and receive the complaint that their LAPTOP is slower than their old one…

I then explain that it’s supposed to be slow…

Needless to say my public relations side is getting hammered as I explain that someone was cheep getting them this crappy piece of plastic called a netbook.

• ironoutsider

I am curious how these jokers haven’t gotten kicked off. Maybe they were hired by TR for comic relief. Things have been pretty serious lately… But, if their actually serious, they need to stop eating the old paint off of their mother’s home. It’s impairing the ability to think and apparently type. If a lisp is a speech impediment, what’s a typing one called?

• snakeoil

just give a 486 4 gigabytes of memory an see it outperfom the crappy atom

• ludi

He knows that, he’s just doing what he does best. Although that’s kind of a weak metric since it’s the /[

• axeman

If anyone knows something about getting maximum battery life, it should be a cell phone maker, so this might be interesting.

• axeman

While atom’s performance isn’t thrilling, it’s hardly in the 486 realm.

• ludi

Illegally, I expect. Mercury in quantities sufficient for bathing is supposed to be subject to special handling procedures.

• Joel H.

Snakeoil, are you legally retarded?

• maxxcool

Wat? wong AMDuh!?!? They copy INTEL now?????????????!?!!??!?! How Ebassingr!!!

• MadManOriginal

Intel should make a specially branded Atom for Apple called the iSmell.

• maxxcool

Wut wong the AmDu? wear AMDuh is no pantz! atom pants > amd. eVyn de 486.66 >= dum mean AMD. ja?

AMDuh sad kitten dies god slayz! o.0 :#0 he say stop touching yourself!… baq topic! = AMDuh sad no to fat and slow, proccess IPC to low atom > HULK smash!?

finally amd stop no make mid product to old to hot… NOT pantz duh! O.O jajajajaj! then kittens stop dying yaaaa! butt diled by amd augh!

3x core? wu curez? wnat 8hour battery not 35minites!!!!!!!!!!!!! jajajajajajajajaja lololololoololololl ll lll lzz !!!11!111

• maxxcool

th0ze tings u putz on feet ? :#)

• FuturePastNow

Looking forward to seeing what the Atom SoC variant does for battery life, although I don’t see anything to indicate that this machine uses it.

• Beomagi

Curious about heat. The nicest looking of the old generation – the lenovo s10 was notorious for overheating.

• lycium

do want!

• MadManOriginal

And that’s a CPU+GPU SoC how exactly?

• snakeoil

what about the triple core notebooks that are coming soon.?

• ew

What I want to know is “What’s wrong with AMD!?”. They’re missing a golden opportunity to produce a good CPU+GPU SOC for devices like this. They’ve had the perfect ingredients since the merger. They should have something by now! Meanwhile, Intel rakes in cash on some interns pet project to shrink the old Pentium III down to 45nm. I mean, WTF?

• Skrying

I would expect it is the same price for any laptop and any smartphone. Which is expensive but makes sense for those who actually need it.

• Meadows

lol

• maxxcool

• crose

that really depends on where you live. it’s $25-30/month for ‘unlimited’ data in Sweden. But I think Sweden ranks as the 3rd cheapest country for mobile services.

• MadManOriginal

At least you don’t need to worry about Zombies, last I knew all they want is braaaaains.

• ShadowTiger

Isn’t 3g service for laptops really overpriced? Anybody use it and want to comment?

I assume providers raise the prices to compensate for loss of business due to google voice/skype stuff.

• MadManOriginal

You mean keep ’em trolling…? 😀

• asdsa

Your comments are always so hilarious. Keep ’em rolling…

• eitje

….i have no self respect.

• snakeoil

another crappy atom netbook , just what we needed.
    intel seems not to understand that this is the 21st century.
    while the 1990’s 486 66mhz processor is more powerful than the atom.
    is intel thinking that their users are zombies?
    that they have no self respect?
    what’s wrong with intel?

• dpaus

Ah, but is it also a phone?

Dell, the 5th largest supplier of netbooks, recently announced a phone. Nokia announces a netbook. Dell is also musing publicly about “smartbooks” – ultra-small Linux devices with a 5-7″ screen, but again, without saying if it includes phone functionality (other than Skype, of course). This is where I hope Palm is going. I like the Pre, but would happily trade a bit more size & weight for something I can replace an 8″ netbook with – just enough power to run basic software, but with the ability to connect an external monitor, and (bluetooth) keyboard and mouse when I arrive at the hotel. When in my pocket, it’s my phone, camera, organizer and data repository. When at the office, home, hotel, or customer site, it’s either a small, mobile system for basic work, or a big USB drive for use with whatever system I find.

• odizzido

looks nice….if the battery life is true that’s pretty sweet.

Share this post with your friends!