OS X Snow Leopard up for pre-order, ships August 28

Apple will beat Microsoft to the punch by about two months with its new operating system release. Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard has gone up for pre-order on the online Apple Store, and Apple quotes an August 28 ship date. (For the record, Windows 7 is still due to hit stores on October 22.)

If you already own an Intel-based Mac with OS X 10.5 Leopard installed, then you’ll only need to shell out $29 for the upgrade to Snow Leopard. A family pack good for five systems can be nabbed for $49, too. Those prices are quite a bit lower than Microsoft’s, but then again, Apple does get a juicy cut from all computers capable of (legally and easily) running OS X. Because, you know, it makes ’em.

OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard may not look all that different from the previous release, but Apple has done a lot of work behind the scenes. "All key system applications" are now 64-bit, and developers can use Grand Central Dispatch to take better advantage of multicore processors as well as OpenCL to run general-purpose code on graphics processors. QuickTime X introduces a new, cleaner interface for video playback, as well, and Apple’s Mail application now supports Microsoft Exchange out of the box.

You can learn more about the new release by hitting the Snow Leopard section of Apple’s website. By the way, the rumors were right: the new product box really does just show a snow leopard on a gradient background. Steve Jobs must’ve hired the guy who designs all those wolf t-shirts. (Thanks to TR reader ssidbroadcast for the heads-up.)

• ew

Love it or hate it I think we can all agree OSX is for pussies.

• SGT Lindy

So love it or hate it I think we can all agree Windows is for pedophiles?? I would rather be a pussy.

• ew

Windows is only 7 so that makes sense if you have ‘that kind’ of relationship with your OS.

• StashTheVampede

You are what you eat.

Are you saying you’re not a pussy?

• ew

I don’t eat cats. That would be mean.

• StashTheVampede

• potatochobit

can you really consider a .1 upgrade a new OS?

😮

• ew

The version number is just a name. It’s not like the OS has 10.6 million lines of code or something.

• WaltC

I think he meant that traditionally, software version updates bearing a “.1” change to the original nomenclature (such as going from version “10.5” to version “10.6”) generally denote very minor changes, even if they aren’t necessarily wholly insignificant–which usually depends on who you ask.

I mean, what’s the substantive difference between “Tiger” and “Snow Leopard” as brand nomenclatures, anyway? Does the major significance denote that “tiger” is a cat that functions better in equatorial climes whereas “snow leopard” is a cat better suited for Siberia? Eh?

I think that what Apple meant to say here with all of this minor nomenclature change is basically that “Here’s Snow Leopard and it’s what we tried to do with Tiger in the first place–it just took us awhile. So…pony up and pardon us!”

• MadManOriginal

LOLOLOL MACREPORT.COM

• ssidbroadcast

Thanks man, it just doesn’t feel the same without it.

• MadManOriginal

You’re welcome!

• ssidbroadcast

Thanks Cyril. Where are all the “LOLOLOL MACREPORT.COM” posts?? Or have we finally evolved past that?

• ChrisDTC

How soon will you be able to buy a brand new Mac with 10.6?

• adisor19

Starting this friday, the 10.6 CD will be included in the box but not installed. A few weeks after that, all new macs will come with 10.6 already installed.

Adi

• deathBOB

I’m actually a bit bummed about the box thing for Tiger. I don’t really want iLife or iWork so paying an extra $140 for the same OS kind of stinks. I’ll still probably buy it, I just feel the need to bitch.

• adisor19

Think of it this way, apple will give it to you at a special price because you already paid for its unrefined version : Leopard. However, if you have not paid for Leopard, you pay the full price : 129$ + the added iLife and iWork extra. While i don’t agree with this bundle, i still think the MacBoxSet is a good deal for a full blown OS + those 2 apps.

Adi

• YellaChicken

Leopards unrefined versions of Snow Leopards???

That’s Speciesism!!! Jobs, i’ll see you in court!

• MadManOriginal

Of course you’ll still buy it, the power of Jobsus compels you!

• deathBOB

Glory to the Pod Father!

• SomeOtherGeek

I’m sorry this is off topic, but what is it with all this pre-order stuff? The greedy need more money now and not later? You can pre-order thousands dollars worth of stuff and not have anything to show for and hope in hell it shows up. Seems like a weird or risky way of doing business. I hope there is no delays or the DVD copying machine doesn’t blow up or something otherwise there will be a lot of angry customers.

• xtalentx

It helps manufactures plan for sales volumes better.

• bdwilcox

As for the box art, instead of a snow leopard they should’ve used a cheetah that’s been Photoshopped to closely remember Steve Jobs. Over its head should be a thought bubble with the words: “It ain’t EZ bein’ sleazy.”

• vince

Don’t know if it’s mentioned somewhere in the replies here, but if you purchased a qualifying Mac on or after June 8th, you can have Snow Leopard for $9.95 only:

§[<http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/<]§

• PoohPall

Can hardly wait or NOT !

:-))

• StashTheVampede

Is the *only* clean install buying the $169 pack? I’m trying to find a non-upgrade version and that seems like the only method.

• jdaven

I believe so.

• Corrado

I guess I’ll wait until theres some people running it and build a hackintosh for it.

• 5150

Will it play Crysis?

This item has a snow leopard on it which makes it intrinsically sweet and worth 5 stars by itself, but once I put it on my Macbook, that’s when the magic happened. After checking to ensure that the updates would properly cover my Macbook, I walked from my loft apartment to Starbucks with the snow leopard on my Macbook and was immediately approached by women. The women knew from the desktop on my Macbook that I, like a snow leopard, am a mysterious loner who knows how to ‘skulk around in the snow’ from time to time (if you catch my drift!). The women that approached me wanted to know if I would be their boyfriend and/or give them money for something they called a mojito. I told them no, because their clothes weren’t retro modern enough, and frankly a man with a snow leopard shouldn’t settle for the first thing that comes to him.

I arrived at Starbucks, dismounted my Vespa scooter (walking is such a drag! but I do look good while doing it) sitting side saddle so that my snow leopard would show. While I was browsing their vegetarian sandwiches, I could hear aroused asthmatic breathing behind me. I turned around to see a slightly anorexic dream in a cardigan and mary sues standing there. She told me she liked the OS on my Macbook, I told her I wanted to skulk around in the snow. She offered me a swig from her double mocha frappucino, and I drove my scooter, with her shuffling along side out the door and into the rest of our lives. Thank you Snow Leopard.

• randomtask

“Those prices are quite a bit lower than Microsoft’s”

I don’t remember ever paying for a service pack.

• adisor19

So you’re not gonna pay for Win 7, are you ? Cause last time i checked, according to your definition, that’s service pack to Vista.

Adi

• moriz

i certainly didn’t. neither did i pay for my vista business licenses (yes, multiple), nor windows XP.

and before you ask, they are all legit.

• StashTheVampede

Don’t buy Windows7.

• Ricardo Dawkins

Not a service pack if you are coming from Windows XP.

Snow Leopard looks like one since you need to get Leopard if you are using Tiger. 😉

• jdaven

What are you talking about? If you are using Tiger then you just have to pay full price ($169) to upgrade to Snow Leopard with iLife apps. You don’t have to buy Leopard, install it and then buy Snow Leopard and install it. Come on.

• adisor19

I’m trying really hard to see your point but i can’t..

You don’t need to get Leopard if you’re on Tiger. You have to buy the MacBox set which gives you the non restrictive install aka full install of SL + iLife + iWork for 169$ compared to 129$ which is the usual price for a full blown OS. Quite a deal if you ask me unless you have no interest in iLife or iWork.

Adi

• eitje

Man, this pretty much dries up the resale value of this PPC Mac Mini of mine.

• StashTheVampede

PPC is dead. Either stick to 10.5 (which is fine) or get onto linux instead.

• Zerro

You should be glad it still has resale value.

• Hattig

It’ll be interesting to see the release Windows 7 versus Snow Leopard reviews.

If you’re still running Tiger (like me) you’re probably looking at a computer upgrade within the next six months anyway. No big deal, although it is a shame that Apple have dropped upgrade support for systems that were still being sold just over three years ago.

• pedro

I reckon I’ll wait a month or two for this one.

Let me know how it goes folks!

• adisor19

Been running the GM build for a few weeks now. It’s way more stable then Leopard at launch so i’m happy so far.

Adi

• pedro

Good to know. Looking forward to it for sure.

Now I just need M-Audio to get their ass into gear and punch out some drivers for my FireWire Solo…

• StashTheVampede

I’ve seen the 32 build for clients and 33 build for server floating. Most are sure it’s GM, but hasn’t been confirmed on several sites.

• blastdoor

“more stable than leopard at launch” is not exactly high praise. How does it compare to Leopard right now?

• adisor19

The only instability that i’ve seen so far is the QuickLook Helper daemon crashes when attempting to read certain types of documents. Also, Network Utility crashes when i open it.

I’ve filed a bug report about the Network Utility and so far they haven’t gotten back to me.

I’ll file another one for the QuickLook Helper app as well.

Adi

• blastdoor

Thanks for the report. I’ll probably buy it soon, but I might hold off installing it until I hear more reports from around the web.

• Norphy

/edit Meant to be a reply

• sweatshopking

29$ if you meet all the requirements….

• Saribro

which are?

• Norphy

Intel based Mac running Leopard. If you are still running Tiger you need to get the so called Box Set which includes Snow Leopard, iWork ’09 and iLife ’09.

It’s not such bad value but if I were running Tiger I’d still rather be able to pay (say) $80 and buy Snow Leopard on its own, kthxbye.

• bimmerlovere39

I’ve got a family member who I would love to get on Snow Leopard, but she’s on Tiger and I don’t think she would that much use out of the new iLife. Her computer’s still plenty fast, but the $169 upgrade isn’t very nice. Ah well.

• Taddeusz

$169 still isn’t that bad. And you get much more software than you’d get with anything in that range from Microsoft. Not that there’s any kind of real direct comparison.

• adisor19

Nice twisting of words there.. The 169$ is NOT a restricted upgrade as you imply, but rather the full OS and apps. You can install it over any version of OS X including 10.3 as i recently did on a semi old iMac G5.

Adi

• Scrotos

To clarify, you mean you installed the existing unrestricted 10.5 package on the G5 and the new unrestricted 10.6 will be the same idea, just not compatible with PPC.

• adisor19