Asus shows P55 mobo with 6Gbps SATA

We already gave you a sneak peek at Asus’ upcoming P7P55D Deluxe motherboard last week. Well, the same company has another high-end P55 motherboard up its sleeve: the P7P55D Premium.

As you’ll see in the photo gallery below, the P7P55D Premium looks a lot like the Deluxe, but with a few key differences. The Premium’s expansion area includes one fewer physical PCI Express x16 slot, and the PCI and PCIe x1 slots are in a different configuration. The power circuitry heatsinks are a little longer, too, and it looks like the Premium has a few extra power phases (the box says "32 + 3").

More importantly, the Premium trades a pair of 300MB/s Serial ATA ports for two that support 600MB/s transfer speeds. According to a PowerPoint presentation Asus sent us, the board diverts four first-gen PCIe lanes from the P55 chipset to a PCIe 2.0 bridge, then to a Marvell 9123 third-gen SATA controller to allow for the 6Gbps transfer rate.

Aside from that, the P7P55D Premium will take Lynnfield processors and up to two AMD or Nvidia graphics cards running in tandem. Asus even throws in a little wired remote that lets you tweak overclocking settings.

• ChangWang

I’m really starting to think that all these power phases aren’t really required, but just all marketing fluff.

“Our $400 board has more phases than yours… neener neener neeeeeener….”

I mean at what point does 6-8 strong phases equate to the same power delivery and stability as these smaller 24 and 32 phase get ups….

• MadManOriginal

It has become all marketing fluff as evidenced by certain smaller manufacturers like DFI not getting all in to the power phase hype and yet their boards still clock like crazy. It started out as a less expensive way to meet power requirements because overall components cost less for a higher number of less indivudally powerful phases.

• Sunburn74

I’m interested in Raid 0 a couple of X-25 Ms. They seem to have burts in the 2000mb/s range and average reads in the 500mb/s… should I consider this board? Or are there better solutions?

• potatochobit

would there be a noticeable increase in response time using a SSD with 6gb/s?

• Krogoth

Nope, there are currently no SSD on the market that can take advantage of bandwidth that 6Gbp yields let alone the 3Gbps on SATA-II.

• ew

Really? Don’t most SSDs bump up against SATA-II limit for reading?

• Krogoth

A few models can do it only in “bursts”. They are still quite a distance away from saturating a SATA-II port with sustained transfer rates.

• Krogoth

This board makes *[

• DancingWind

… Americans live in fairy land (or Mars)( or engines in america work not on combution but on watermill principle – flowing gas from the tank turns the weels :D) .. atleast from Europeans point of view … 2.5L V6 is Puny? in a ultra-light carbon fibre car? (those are like under 1t weight). A properly working 2.5 V6 engine in a normal (~1.5t) car in not Puny (well nothing special i admint).

• Corrado

I can make 300-350whp daily drivable out of 1.8L with a moderately sized turbo. a 2.5L V6? I could reliably make 450-500whp out of it pretty easily… and I live in the USA.

• Umbragen

I still won’t pay much more that $150 for a motherboard.

• tay

Less gimmicks and less $$ please….

• lamparalaptopiaguita

i love snake oil.

• wingless

I can’t believe people take Snakeoil seriously. That is the funny part here.

• snakeoil

Wow 32 phases for a lynnfield.
    That’s like giving 32 canes to a crippled man so he walks real fast.
    Mmm..
    Whats wrong with intel?

• maxxcool
      • maxxcool

Wat!? Why aMd so dumb?
      Were iS amd why soe bad they <> have not single peece of sillycon with 8 cores!???? sun and IBM do this wehy not stupid amduh ?

§[<http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=16055<]§

• maxxcool

What Wong with AmD ??? why no have 32pashes?

iz <> to hard? intel do it? wehy kantt amd?

• maxxcool

oilysnale sadd God killd kitten and not fix Simplex Virus (HSV-2)??? ja la! cado sesta?

na, still sad snake-girl amd blubberous

• kamikaziechameleon

you make no sense?

• 5150

Brilliant!

• Kurkotain

he forgot to take his medication…

• Meadows

No, I think he did take it.

• stmok

The question isn’t: What’s wrong with AMD? OR What’s wrong with Intel?
      Its really: What’s wrong with snakeoil?

Seriously, this dude is wasting so much effort trolling in three separate websites! Sooner or later, he’ll grow tired and stop. (Trolling takes effort.)

You can all help accelerate this process by IGNORING his comments. Better yet, ignore him totally! Pretend he doesn’t exist and he’ll quickly grow bored!

The more you let him get to you, causing you to respond and feed the troll; the more reason he continues!

• 5150

Ignoring them!? I’ve learned to embrace them. It sustains me.

• maxxcool

/me lick mezzing wyth him :#) ja lolzc@t!

• henfactor

They’re (sometimes) the funniest part of my trip to TR! 😉

• snakeoil

real men have a real northbridge.
    what’s wrong with intel?

• 5150

That’s it?

• SomeOtherGeek

His brain is getting smaller with each post. So, that is all he can provide.

• kamikaziechameleon

maybe i’m lame but i think snake oil makes some valid points(often in hilarious fashion), he just phrases them in a aloof way. Just look at his name and you should understand why he makes most of his statements the way he does.

§[<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_oil<]§

• Scrotos

Dang, snakeoil made another account?!?

• maxxcool

Another one? was he banned at some point? if so…? report him ? o.0?

• SomeOtherGeek

Nope, he has made zero points of late. The first, “What is wrong with Intel?” was ok, but after that, it was… He has not listened to anyone. Why isn’t there a Northbridge heat-sink, no, it is “What is wrong with Intel?” I’m just sick of it.

We all have our sides, but this guy is extreme and he doesn’t know when enough is enough.

I can tolerate Meadows cuz his trolls are intelligent, not this guy/gal.

And I already know what Snakeoil is cuz I posted about it with 3 or 4 different links and if I was him I would drop that name so fast cuz they were not good.

• maxxcool

kittnz are sad @@ so short pantz! ja.. oilyfecal short in dictionary!
        ‘ ‘

• toyota

do you even know what a dictionary is? it sure as hell doesn’t look like it…

• flip-mode

I like this one.

• maxxcool

tHat Sad. oilysnake has no northbridge… ergo no manly. sooo manny kittenz are dying!@@!

• Krogoth
        • maxxcool

Epic! . . .. . . . . . .

• AlvinTheNerd

So…

the standard is now the budget
    the deluxe is now the standard
    and the premium is now the deluxe

When is the P7P55D venti nonfat mint cafe mocha coming?

• Austin

r[<;o)<]r Absolutely!

• maxxcool

I am holding out for the Absolute citron Lemon Lime edition….

• flip-mode

sTooPid remote. edit: and sTooPid “32 + 3” phases.

• SomeOtherGeek

Yea, I agree.. 35 power phases?! WTF! Now we can overclock using 0.25 Mhz steps? And I already commented on my dislike of the sTooPid remote. What a waste of money.

• MadManOriginal

It would be nice if ‘1337 overclockers’ understaood that more phases does not necessarily equal better but unfortunately having a gazillion phases has become marketing fodder at this point.

• Kurotetsu

I like ASrock’s solution for 6Gbps SATA support, just throw in a PCI-E riser card.

§[<http://www.tweaktown.com/news/13021/asrock_p55_deluxe_to_have_pci_e_x1_sata_6gbps_card/index.html<]§

• UberGerbil

Ok, this one probably pushes past $300. Seems like this level of gadgetry would be more appropriate wrapped around a 1366 socket (and price point).

A year from now it’s going to be interesting comparing boards like this with new boards sporting respun Intel (or nVidia) chipsets that do SATA 6G natively, not to mention 3rd party PCIe 6G cards. I think when I start to care about SATA 6G (and I will, eventually, when sanely-priced SSDs with that interface are widely available) I’d just look at adding a PCIe card to a vanilla P55 board rather than trying to “future proof” myself with something like this. You’re paying a premium and not really getting anything better, since it’s a 3rd party chip that will need its own drivers. With an AIB you at least get to pick your poison rather than getting to test the bleeding edge with a first gen Marvell.

• OneArmedScissor

By the time more than 250 MB/s of bandwidth means something of practical use (this is the key, I don’t care if some drive hits that in X synthetic benchmark), I’d have to assume that anyone interested/in need of it likely won’t be running a P55 anymore, and will have moved on to bigger and better things.

I think this falls into the category of 64 bit operating systems/CPUs and games with “multi-core support.” SATA 6 Gbps will one day have its uses, but that day is years and years away from its origin as a marketing ploy.

• mesyn191

If we still only had mech. hard drives I’d agree with you, but SSD’s can improve much much faster and their incredibly low seek times/high bandwidth will improve performance on a broad spectrum of apps without programmers having to do too much rewriting for them.

I don’t think SATA3 will matter right now (I wouldn’t touch it right now, these 1st gen. 3rd party chipsets to support new features are most always slower than advertised and buggy) but in a year or so it could offer tangible performance benefits.

• crabjokeman

For $300, it better mow the lawn.