Bing breaks 10% market share

Slowly but surely, Microsoft’s rebranded and revamped search engine is gaining momentum. CNet News quotes new Nielsen figures that show Bing commanded 10.7% of the U.S. search market in August.

Last time we looked, Bing had just broken the 8% threshold by StatCounter’s estimate. That was in June, the month Bing debuted. CNet says Nielsen quotes 22.1% monthly growth between July and August, as well.

Bing now sits behind Yahoo, which clinched 16% of the search market in August, and Google, which grabbed almost two thirds (64.6%). Of course, Yahoo’s proprietary search engine isn’t long for this world. Yahoo agreed a few weeks ago to use Microsoft’s engine for search, which should propel Bing into second position.

Adding Yahoo’s and Bing’s market shares, the two sites would have accounted for 26.7% of U.S. searches in August. That said, Bing’s latest growth spurt seems to have come at the expense of both Comcast Search, which saw its share fall by 21.6%, and Yahoo, which suffered a smaller 4.2% decline. Google still grew almost three points between July and August.

• Warp9

I haven’t really heard anyone say this yet, but think about this for a moment: If Bing continues to gain marketshare at the current pace (which may or may not happen, but they are definitely innovating at a faster pace than Google right now), they’ll be in pretty good shape in 5 years.

Bing has gained nearly 1% marketshare each month since it debuted. If this trend should continue, Bing could end up with well over 50% of the search market within 5 years, which would make Bing the #1 search engine. And that would just be through the existing organic growth. Factor in the Yahoo-Bing deal, and that timeframe could potentially be shortened just a bit, although Bing’s existing growth is currently coming more at the expense of Yahoo and others instead of Google.

If anyone thinks that Microsoft isn’t in this for the long haul, and to win, they’re crazy. When you think about it, 5 years isn’t that long. Microsoft has the money, the talent, and I believe the willpower and the vision to win at search. When Microsoft gets a vision, and puts its full resources on a problem/market, watch out!

Winning at search will be about out-innovating the competition and about producing a better product. And right now, Microsoft is out-innovating Google.

• battleRabbit

Of course their numbers are growing. IE automatically sets itself to search with Bing! I’d be willing to bet that at least 10% of users (probably more) don’t know how to change it or don’t know the difference. Thus, the increase in market share is likely due to oblivious users.

• wingless

Bing is the default search in IE and noobs don’t know how to change it….

• Byte Storm

So noobish that they cannot say… follow the setup wizard and choose a different search accelerator?

Or how about not noticing the little arrow that points down that provides a link called find more accelerators.

There are Noobs, and then there are idiots. Save a Noob. Kill an idiot.

(BTW not calling you an idiot, but some people seem to be misled by my typing. §[<https://techreport.com/ja.zz?id=425926)<]§

• PeterD

I use Google and AltaVista.

• moog

Well, bing does have nice points. It gave me the ph no when i searched for amazon customer service when i wanted to make a return, this is much nicer than google and I found it really hard to find this info from amazon directly.

In general it seems good at presenting business info such as store locations, hours, ph no etc. right on the first link. For most other things it’s virtually the same as google.

• Ricardo Dawkins

bing…bing…bing. yeah, I’m in love with the girl from the Palm Pre TV ads.

• JoeKiller

Bing is somewhat lackluster. They can’t even find correct results for Microsoft KB articles. If I type in the title of a page, it might be 5 links down or even on the next page. Yeah the results are different, but are the accurate, IMO, No.

• UberGerbil

When you’re looking for one particular page then yes, accuracy is paramount. When you’re searching on more general concepts or looking for opinions on something without a particular site in mind, then getting a diverse set of results (that are still appropriate / related, of course) has value.

Of course if I’m looking for a MS KB I tend to query it directly
      §[<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/242450<]§

• indeego

I’ve been unable to find event id’s using bing linked from the KB that I can find on google almost without failg{<.<}g

• UberGerbil

Now that’s sad. (Of Bing, not you)

• juampa_valve_rde

i really dislike the way google and microsoft are promoting his software and search engine… microsoft is pulling bing as “de facto” search engine for ie, and it changes your previous setting when installing ie8… i have tried it but dont like the results, specially in my language (spanish), so i keep using google, but it pisses me off too, showing all the time advertising about installing google software, which is ok if u are looking for it by yourself, but is annoying when they promote it trying to install it desesperately and silently

• xtalentx

Nothing to see here….

• SomeOtherGeek

I saw it!

• drsauced

I done seen it once, and I’ll saw it again!

• UberGerbil

I do want Bing (and other google competitors) to do well because it bothers me that, increasingly, if a site doesn’t show up in the first page of search results it effectively doesn’t exist. Just like a lot of people won’t change their default search engine / wallpaper / screensaver, they won’t make any effort to find something that might be buried several pages down the search results (depending on the search criteria, but expecting sophisticated queries from these users is even more of a stretch). In this sense it’s good that Bing doesn’t return exactly the same set of results as google. Diversity is a value in itself; I don’t really want Google (or any other single entity, no matter what their claims of un-evilness) to control the lens through which most people view the internet

• Anonymous Coward

Any Microsoft product that does well just adds to their monopoly. Its a shame that independent search engines can’t seem to cut it.

• UberGerbil

I don’t mind a fading monopoly being used to combat an incipient one.

• SomeOtherGeek

Switched all my browser’s homepage to Bing just for the hell of it!

• PRIME1

Bing Cashback earns marketshare.

pretty much. i bet its mostly slickdeal users.

• Corrado

Bing works and it works well. I’m not surprised its gaining market share. Google is good, but most people open up IE and just use the MSN search thats built into that. My father does, and he’s not computer illiterate. He just feels that if he’s searching, why not just use whats on the home page instead of going to a different site?

• indeego

Because the search results can be dramatically different. Every time I use yahoo/bing (typically on a borrowed machine) and the search results are strange/odd way off base I immediately revert to Google.

A great test I have is Google finds Microsoft KB articles far better than Bing does on their own site.

Bing’s image/video search is better, IMO, but not enough to switch over completelyg{<.<}g

• jdaven

The home page is set by Microsoft because it’s Microsoft’s operating system. It is not set by some scientific rule or for compatibility. You can easily spend 30 seconds to change the default home page or search engine to whatever you want.

What you are saying is equivalent to keeping the Microsoft wallpaper and screensaver because that’s how it came by default. Changing the home page or default search engine is as easy as changing the wallpaper.

Your logic doesn’t make sense and begs the question about being computer illiterate.

• potatochobit

I use firefox

• SNM

I pretty much never change default wallpapers or screensavers, because they’re good enough. I like Google search, but if Bing is good enough, why bother?

• Corrado

He knows it can be changed. He LIKES the MSN homepage. I do too actually. I do use iGoogle for my own RSS feeds though. And your’e wrong, most people only change their homepage if some spyware does it for them.

I can’t understand why geeks, usually fairly intelligent people, refuse to admit that they are not the largest market for PC users. The largest market is people that use their PC as an APPLIANCE. You wouldn’t think of changing the coolant in the refrigerator and putting a bigger compressor on it because it works better than the stuff that comes in it would you? Most people view the PC the same way. I bought it, I plugged it in, and I use it. End story.

• potatochobit

inflated numbers!

and I might have to stop using yahoo now… though I do want them to do good.

• sweatshopking

things cant “do good”. that sentence makes no sense. good is an adjective it modifies a noun. I think what you mean is “do well”. well being an adverb modifying the verb “do”.

• xtalentx

do good

Act in an upright, moral way; engage in philanthropy. For example, Social workers are trained to help people to help themselves, not simply going around doing good. This term was first recorded in a.d. 725.

• indeego

Someone is being a grammar Nazi.
          Someone else is changing the context of the term.
          Someone else is ending this post in g{

• Meadows

Watch it before someone chalks that up to brand bias.

• xtalentx

Well to be accurate I didn’t change the context. The post I responded to stated very plainly.

“things cant “do good”.”

I proved that indeed things can do good.

• quarantined

You are an hero!

I actually like using bing for some things like image search. It’s nice to have decent alternatives to google.

• BobbinThreadbare

Comcast Search, really?

I guess with some people, you can just put anything in front of them and they’ll use it.

• PcItalian