Microsoft offers Windows 7 to students for $29.99

Students in engineering and computer-related fields can already get Microsoft software for free through the MSDNAA program. For the next few months, those following other courses will also get a break. Neowin reports that Microsoft has started offering Windows 7 for only $29.99 to eligible college students in the United States. Folks studying in some other countries should get similar deals, too.

According to the 741 promotion site, the U.S. offer will run until January 3, 2010 at midnight CST. The deal covers both Home Premium and Professional editions of the new operating system, which will both be available as downloads for the same fee—$29.99. Presumably, though, Microsoft won’t start distributing the software until Windows 7’s October 22 launch date.

All students need to do to participate is visit this page and enter a valid college e-mail address. Microsoft says eligible students will receive an e-mail with "purchase details" and a link to a checkout page, which they can then follow to buy their license key and download the OS (in 32-bit or 64-bit variants). Students will also be able to purchase a backup DVD, although Microsoft doesn’t mention a price for that.

As always, students taking classes in MSDNAA-participating departments can still get free copies of Windows and other Microsoft applications. More information about that offer is available here.

• jstern

I just read the comments for this news on a Mac forum, and omg, these Mac guys are so obnoxious. I was going to get an Ipod touch, but now I think I’ll just get the Zune. When I finally find work that is.

• Rakhmaninov3

Win 7 is soo kewl dood!! roflolz imma chuck my mbp n have the rentz mail me a peecee!

I think this is going to be a bitchslap to Apple.

• oldDummy

Not good for Apple but, IMO, it might be worse for linux.

• jensend

I entered my email address and I don’t see any way to get the Professional edition- just Home Premium. Too bad- I may need XP mode and some of the other things from Professional.

• Volatus

The Pro version will be available later this month. So just wait for that if you need it.

• drsauced

I get a ‘do you need to join your school’s domain?’ link. That will take you to the Professional version, also for $30.

Woot! But I’m having pangs of honesty, now… I just work at a school, not actually enrolled…

It sure is cheap though…

• oldDummy

Just ordered a copy and cancelled my expensive upgrade.

haha, my wife who works for a college also qualifies – she got the email when I entered her address. :p

• bthylafh

Read the fine print. Included is a section that says you must be enrolled in at least 0.5 credit-hours at your .edu, and you would need to provide unspecified proof of enrollment (student ID? a printout?) upon demand; if you don’t produce this, you agree to pay MS the difference between the $30 and retail price.

• Shining Arcanine

She could try MSDNAA. I managed to get a RTM copy of Windows 7 Professional for free through it today.

hmmm, that is helpful. ๐Ÿ™

• gtoulouzas

Hope they extend this to other regions and countries, as well.

• FubbHead

As far as I know, MSDN licenses (at least AA) may not be used professionally, ie. not to make money.

• PeterD

My mother told me never the accept candy from strangers.

You missed out, those are the best kind.

• bdwilcox

People seem to forget that Apple’s main focus was on academia, hoping to get them young and keep them as they grew up. At one time, Apple was as ominpresent in schools as MS was in business.

• UberGerbil

Yeah, before the primary schools started ditching their Apple ][GS machines for PCs because (a) they were antiquated, and (b) the parents wanted their kids to grow up using the hardware and software they’d be expected to use during their working lives. Apple decided they didn’t want to compete with Dell by dropping Mac prices, and that was that.

• bthylafh

lol n00b. My school district loaded up on the Apple //c. 68030 Mac Performas after that, then I think they started going PC in the mid-late ’90s after I graduated.

• kamikaziechameleon

when my high school was rebuilt in 2000 they got rid of all mac computers and replaced with IBM(back when IBM made computers)s and Dells. It was a large school consistant of over 2000 students, Apple missed out alot.

• Usacomp2k3

Large? My high school had over 5000. They didn’t have a whole lot of computers though. Just one in each classroom, probably a dozen in the library and then a couple of classrooms such as the one I had Simulation and Drawing in that had another 20-ish computers in it.

• SecretMaster

Since this appears to be a windows upgrade for $29.99, I presume that it is absolutely useless for me who intends to build a brand new computer at the end of october? Or could I use the physical DVD copy that they send to install it?

• [+Duracell-]

And I preordered Home Premium for $50 ๐Ÿ™

• UberGerbil

Ebay. CL. Friends/family.

• anamericangod

Upgrade only. Meh.

• ssidbroadcast

Are you allowed to install an upgrade over a pre-existing Win7 RC1 ?

• MBIlover

Nearly positive you can not upgrade from a RC install.

• UberGerbil

You shouldn’t, and it’s not supported, but I think the cversion.ini/MinClient hack probably still works.

• ew

This is how a drug dealer operates. Give the kids their first hit at a nice discount.

• ub3r

I totally agree. Microsoft is scared we may shift to linux or apple OS. They know they have been recently loosing market share.

• gohan

well its not new news. MSDNAA is a gr8 place to get free MS software. i got XP professional, vista business 32 & 64 bit editions and now win 7 pro plus a crap load of other MS software frm MSDNAA over the years for free.

• ShadowTiger

Yeah i just found out about this MSDNAA and my local community college has windows 7 available for FREE. Just register for one class… which costs less than $50 and you get free windows 7 business… or vista or xp and a bunch of other software too. Sometimes you just get discounts but $20 for software like this is a pretty good deal.

• ssidbroadcast

You Windows fanboys need to thank Apple for this.

• bdwilcox

Absolutely the truth. I can’t tell you how many of my friends’ kids in college have been asking their parents for a Mac.

• ssidbroadcast

On my campus I am always privately checking the ratio of Apple:PC in class or lounges. It’s always 50% or greater in favor of Macbooks.

• UberGerbil

It’s been around 50% for years in the coffee shops up here on Capitol Hill (home of the pretentious, the hip, and the pretentiously hip). But lately netbooks seem to be eating into everybody’s share; meanwhile, the hipsters have ditched the laptops altogether and moved on to iPhones.

• Skrying

I LOVE hipsters. I never thought another stereotype would gain more annoyance than jock fro me. But hipster has done it and reached all new levels. Stereotypes are real and they are real annoying.

• lilbuddhaman

the hipsters do annoy me as well. They are the yuppies of today’s generation. preaching peace and love but addicted to every material possession on the face of the earth.

• funko

this comment reeks of the truth! hear hear!

• d0g_p00p

Don’t you know when you join the hipster crew you get a free iPhone, single speed bike, a pink shirt, vintage vans and your sisters pants for free, gosh!

You have to grow your own mangy hair and unkempt beard and mustache though.

• OneArmedScissor

Lots of people I knew got Macs when they got out of high school.

And they readily admit they did so because they “looked cool,” and they now regret paying so much for a computer lol.

• UberGerbil

So when Microsoft started their Academic pricing over a decade ago, it was because of Apple? Amazing.

• ssidbroadcast

What was the price point of said “academic” pricing? Did it happen to coincide with Apple’s education discount? Amazing.

• UberGerbil

No, I think it was cheaper since Apple didn’t /[

• bthylafh

Still, the fact that this just happens to be the same price is mighty suspicious.

edit: Vista for students, here, is $64.25 downloaded for Vista Business upgrade, another $5 for the disc version. Going to Ultimate is $82.20 and another $10 for the disc.

• UberGerbil

Maybe. Vista Ultimate upgrade for students was/is $65; off hand I don’t know what the Pro or Home price was but presumably it was less than that so I don’t know that Snow Leopard has driven down the academic price for Win 7 significantly. And actually, for a lot of students going to schools that have volume deals with MS, the price was and is “free.”

• tfp

Yep got win XP and win server 2k3 for free from school, I’m sure that was apples doing as well 6 or so years ago…

• eitje

I got many bits of MS software (windows 2000, visual studio 6, etc) for $5 per disc in 2000 (or so).

does that line up with Apple’s educational discount?

• bdwilcox

Actually it was. I remember Apple’s near dominance on college campuses for years. Back in the early 90’s, when I was in college, my huge state college’s computer labs and network were all Mac based; the ratio of Mac to PC was much higher than in the general populous. All other colleges I went to at the time were the same, so I would imagine this is what spurred MS to offer such “generous” discounts.

• MadManOriginal

pwned. Yes, MS has had all sorts of discount programs for a long time and various vendors actually sell these non-production subscription licenses for different amounts. The 29.99 direct from MS may seem coincidental but it’s not really anything new or special.

• ssidbroadcast

Yeah I pretty much just got served. Damn you, Uber.

• YellaChicken

And so the Gerbil strikes again. I’m telling you, he’s not really a person he’s a frickin machine! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• bthylafh

Pretty much.

I expect this is also an effort to clear the air after the disaster that early Vista was.

• _Sigma

Actually, not really. MSDNAA has been around for a long time, as have academic discounts. Pretty much all software is offered cheap to university students.

The $30 price point…well yeah, that is pretty suspicious…

• VaultDweller

And you Apple fanboys can thank Microsoft for everything Macs have done in the last two decades.

Also, you can thank AMD for awesome Lynnfield processors.

You can thank GM for the Prius.

Etc, etc, etc.

It’s called competition, and I would think that most people understand by now that it’s what drives almost all commercial development.

• bimmerlovere39

Ugh, It doesn’t cover High Schools.

Ah well…

• zaeric19

Woot, now I am glad that I missed the preorder on newegg for cheap, cuz I get it even cheaper!

• BoBzeBuilder

Up here in Canada, tons of Microsoft software are available for free download for all students in my university. Kudos to M$.

• Kurotetsu

My university is offering Windows 7 Pro (full version) downloads for free over MSDNAA. Now I just need to cancel my pre-order…

• DancinJack

I think you were playing cod today. Anyway, it’s the same for me. The school I go to gives us free MS stuff all the time. Granted, i was/am in the EECS department.

• BoBzeBuilder

How did you know what I was playing?

• Shining Arcanine

I assume he was playing it too and your gamer tag (XBox 360?) is either the same as or similar to your login name.

• DancinJack

Well, your name is the same on here as it is on CoD. 83rd HC TDM.

• indeego

Why do people never follow this up with listing Computer use fees that they have to pay every semesterg{

• bthylafh

For us it’s a little hard to split that out. There used to be a separate fee for Resnet connexions in your dorm room, but that’s disappeared with a bunch of other things into “student fees”, which is probably where computer labs, etc. were to begin with.

• Skrying

What would it matter? I don’t know of a school where those fees are not automatically included with no way to not pay those fees (at least without a lot of hassle). The fee is going to be the same to the student whether they download the software or not, so for all intents and purposes it is “free.”

• indeego

It would matter because if the school did not sign an exclusivity agreement with MS they might have lower costs (or higher, I don’t honestly know.) But yipping about how students pay “less” for software is equally as sillyg{<.<}g

• DrDillyBar

What can I say. It may be signed already.

Kudos coming straight from your parent’s basement in saskatchewan?

• ssidbroadcast