New, cheaper iMacs may launch as soon as next week

Intel introduced its first mobile Core i7 processors just a couple of days ago. Now, AppleInsider reports that Apple could unleash new, redesigned iMacs with lower price tags as early as next week.

The story does talk of dual-core processors, but the timing seems a little too close for mobile Core i7s not to make an appearance—if not in low-end models, at least in a higher-end one. Regardless, AppleInsider says the new all-in-one desktops were "finalized earlier in September and have been rolling off the Mac maker’s Taiwanese product lines for roughly two weeks."

Still quoting anonymous sources, AppleInsider goes on to say the new iMacs will have thinner enclosures and "several features previously unavailable to Mac buyers." Those features might include Blu-ray, from which Apple has shied away so far, as well as audio enhancements.

The site’s sources are apparently being a little cryptic about specifics, but the release schedule information sounds more straightforward. It’s basically up to Apple’s marketing department at this point, AppleInsider says, and you can expect an announcement any time in the next three weeks.

• jinjuku

If they don’t have a GPU that allows for bit-streaming DTS and Dolby HD then I am not interested.

• crsh1976

Erm, they may use laptop-grade CPUs in desktop computers just to flaunt the Core i7 brand (aka newer=faster/better)? Wow, that might be a very bad idea.

• Ethyriel

What are you on about? The iMac has always been an MotD device.

• SGT Lindy

iMac has always used mobile CPU’s. The entire Mac line does with the exception of the Mac Pro towers.

• thesaint

apple user:

don’t let steve jobs brainwash you.

yes, did you know that the church of scientology are the owners of apple?

do you know they are using the same methods they use to brainwash the cult members to turn you into a zombie?

here is the proof

§[<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx7v815bYUw<]§ §[<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O2_rZIgrQI<]§ an amazing video of steve jobs dancing, cool. §[<http://www.dancingbones.co.uk/_borders/dancing5.gif<]§

• kcarlile

Assuming you actually believe anything a Mac rumor site posts.

• flip-mode

Those things look really expensive until I remember the included 24″ monitor. LOL at $1000 for 8BG.

• blastdoor

Ouch! $1,000 for that RAM upgrade is pretty brutal. I guess that’s the downside of using notebook parts for a desktop system. The best alternative I could find on NewEgg still costs $700.

• spartus4

You can get a guaranteed compatible 8GB upgrade for $639 from Crucial’s website. I haven’t look at the memory in my iMac but the last Mac I had had a brand I hadn’t heard of before.

• Decelerate

Ooh, maybe a high-end model with SSD?

• blastdoor

“several features previously unavailable to Mac buyers.”

Maybe a parallel port? Or how about a 5.25″ floppy drive? Combine that with a built-in apple II emulator, and I could play Karateka again without having to boot up my IIe…

• TheShadowself

IIRC everything you mention was available to a MacPlus back in 1987 (for the hardware you had to include the “MacCharlie” add on). Thus all that has been available to a Mac user before.

Care to try again?

not a 5.25″ floppy, even the 128k Macs used 3.5″ disks.

• Bauxite

You could buy a controller card and drive combo specifically made for the original macs. (When I say “original” I mean the 9″ b/w screen all-in-one macs)

I know, because I grew up with one and broke it…they weren’t cheap. Hell, computer anything then was really expensive if you compare to today’s prices and adjust for inflation.

There were lots other weird things you could get for the 80s and early 90s macs that most people never knew about. Today if you want any real customization you either overpay out the nose for the full case versions or go hackintosh.

• blastdoor

Wow — I’m impressed with the obscurity of that reference! I had to look it up on Wikipedia.

Well, it’s not entirely clear to me that the 5.25″ drive that you could use with that product was compatible with the 5.25″ drives used by the Apple II (but I could be wrong).

Searching around, I found something that more completely destroys my original post:

§[<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_IIe_Card<]§ I wonder if anybody has a PCI card that could connect to an old Disk II drive. I'd love to use my old Disk II drive on my mac pro.

• ew

That game was awesome!!!

• blastdoor

Wasn’t it though? That princess was pretty hot, even if I only ever saw her on a green phosphorus monitor. And I hated that d@mn bird — kicking it was very satisfying.

apple user:
    do not let steve jobs and the cult of the transplanted liver think for you.
    dont use these crippppled intel products in your computing.
    l. ron hubbard and his novel dianetics is no basis for a system of government.

• MadManOriginal

Insider information has revealed the new model will be called the iXenu ! 😮

• ssidbroadcast

Good impersonation, but you’ve impersonated someone I despise.

• blastdoor

My understanding is that they’re run by the church of scientology…

(edit– I meant this to be in reply to #2)

• crose

So boring! A wee bit faster, a little bit thinner, blu-ray.. *yawn*.

What has happened with innovation?

• MadManOriginal