EeeBox EB1501 has Ion graphics, DVD drive

Small-form-factor nettops aren’t really known for their aesthetic flair or power, but Asus’ new EeeBox EB1501 has broken the mold somewhat with a sleek, "ballerina-inspired" design, a dual-core Atom 330 processor, and Nvidia Ion integrated graphics.

Not only that; the EeeBox EB1501 also has a slot-loading DVD burner built right in—something missing from virtually all standalone nettops. Other features include HDMI output, 802.11n Wi-Fi, Gigabit Ethernet, external Serial ATA, S/PDIF audio out, a 250GB hard drive, and dual SO-DIMM slots for up to 4GB of RAM (the system comes with 2GB as standard).

Software-wise, Asus will bundle the EB1501 with Windows 7 Home Premium, which includes Windows Media Center software and hardware-accelerated DVD playback. Considering the OS choice, we wouldn’t expect this machine to be available before October 22, Windows 7’s official launch date.

What about cost? The folks at Engadget have posted the European price: €399. That works out to $580, as the site says, but remember European prices are typically higher than in the States. We’d bet on U.S. pricing somewhere around $400-450.

• cocobongo_tm

Why folks in the States get it at a much lower price than folks in Europe? It’s made in Taiwan (presumably) which is just about as far away from USA as it is to Europe! Why can’t it be the other way around!? I want to see folks in the States drooling over European prices!

• mph_Ragnarok

distance has nothing to do with it.

its just because the US is a much better country than europe as a whole.

• cocobongo_tm

Much better country?!!?! Please, DO elaborate on that. I’m quite anxious to find out your arguments.

• ironoutsider

It’s simple. We own windows. We own mac. We invented computers. America’s the greatest country in the world. Hitler used to live over there! OH and we’re a bunch of capitalist pigs! Actually, this is a completely pointless post. Sorry bout that.

I have no idea why Europeans have to pay so much 0_o. Maybe you guys have more/better money? Americans are also infamous for outright refusing to pay too much for gas. It’s why gas is cheaper here, if they try to up the price, they actually make less money for it.

• LurkingFool

You are all kidding, right? Have you heard of VAT?
            Also the gas taxes are unreal in Europe.

• Kurotetsu

Hm, a Blu-ray drive would make this alot more compelling for the price. As it is….meh.

• Dashak

I think a blu-ray drive would be a bit much for a system at this price point. But you weren’t really serious anyway…

• Metonymy

Installed fine on a 64-bit Win 7 on a Dell XPS420, but failed to do so on a laptop running a GeForce 7300 with 32-bit Win 7

• flip-mode

Needs more cowbell. I don’t think I could ever bring myself to PAY for an Atom. If this thing was under $200 then I’d pay for it. I don’t ever want to have a processor that is slower than an Athlon X2.

• paulWTAMU

I know the feeling 🙁 I’ve only played around with atom based machines (my in laws have one) and it’s just too slow. Of course that was a single core atom, I don’t know how much difference the second core would make.

• thesaint

you can buy one and give it to a homeless person.
    homeless don’t complain about the crappy processor.
    they take anything, because they are homeless.

• MadManOriginal

Sounds like you’re speaking from personal experience?

• ssway

Yes, but a desktop is generally only used in a “house” so it would be hawked for drugs/booze.

• MadManOriginal

That’s hocked, no birds of prey involved. The more you know! *ding*

• mcnabney

Almost $400…. for this.

You can get an Acer net-top with ION, XP, and HDMI out for $200 right now? Does built in DVD ($50 add-on) and WiFi ($40 add-on) really add $200 to the price?

• Lord.Blue

Well, the Acer is not a dual core.

• UberGerbil

It’s going to have to be under $500 to seriously compete with the likes of the Dell Studio Hybrid.
    §[< http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=ddcwla2&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19<]§

• ColdMist

No DVI? Is there an easy HDMI -> DVI adapter around?

• MadManOriginal

• Skrying

You don’t even need an adapter, there are many HDMI to DVI cables. One of which I’m using on my laptop right now. It cost like 10 cents more from Monoprice.

• UberGerbil

Yeah, HDMI essentially _[

• Kurkotain

excuse my ignorance, but hdmi transfers audio too right, dvi also transports audio?

• UberGerbil

Yes, it can. DVI uses exactly the same signalling as HDMI so audio data can be encoded in it the same way it is in HDMI. Obviously most monitors wouldn’t know what to do with audio data coming over DVI. However, if the monitor has an HDMI input and does handle audio data from that, then you can use the DVI-out on some recent video cards to transmit audio and video data via a DVI-to-HDMI cable or adapter. Of course these days video cards increasingly have HDMI (and/or DisplayPort) outputs so that isn’t necessary.

• jinjuku

Does the ION bitstream DTS-HD/Dolby-HD?

• mcnabney

No. Currently you will need one of ATI’s new video cards or maybe you can get one of the high-end audio cards to actually work ($250 card). Wait until Spring when ATI’s cheaper solutions are available.

• DrDillyBar

That’s a pretty decent option for my mother’s next computer. Her P4 Celeron could use a refresh.
    Edit: Mom has my Model M and 2005FPW btw.

• MadManOriginal

This is honestly pretty decent…except for the Atom.

Can you replace the hard drive? That’s the dealmaker for me.

• SomeOtherGeek

Wow!! Now that is hot! This is something I would most definitely buy for my wife.

[EDIT] Just talked to my wife and she says, I’m not complaining (about the 10 year old laptop)! Ahhhh! How do I convince her otherwise? Man needs his toys!

• MadManOriginal

If you like I can send over some gentlemen who will make sure the laptop has an ‘unfortunate accident’ that would render it inoperable.

• stmok

r[

• malicious

• barleyguy

Is it fanless? And can you replace the hard drive with an SSD? I’m all about the silent lately.

• SomeOtherGeek

Yea, I’m sure it is… SSD would take less power to run, so it is probably a way to go. But then seeing as it has a eSATA port maybe going external with a bigger HDD would be a better way to go. Of course, I would upgrade the RAM to 4GB too.

• OneArmedScissor

If you call 0.5w “less power,” then ok, yeah. :p

• mongoosesRawesome

pretty slick. Wonder if the hard drive be replaced?