Toshiba preps touch-screen Win7 notebooks

With Windows 7 just over a week away from release, Toshiba is sparing no opportunity to tease its future notebooks based on the operating system. After unveiling its ultraportable Satellite T100 series and its Core i7-toting Qosmio X500, the firm has now announced two somewhat more pedestrian models with touch-screen displays.

The new Satellite U500 and M500 are already available with Windows Vista, but Toshiba will soon roll out the Satellite U505 Touch and Satellite M505 Touch. Both will feature touch screens and Windows 7.

Right now, the U500 starts at $698 with a 13.3″ 1280×800 display, a 2GHz dual-core Pentium T4200 processor, four gigs of RAM, a DVD burner, a six-cell battery, and a weight of 4.5 lbs.The M500 is a little bulkier, weighing it at 5.4 lbs with a 14″ display and AMD Turion X2 processors. It costs about the same, though.

Toshiba doesn’t yet say how it will price the touch-screen derivatives, but they’ll probably be a little more expensive than the base models. We’d also wager the systems will rely on Windows 7’s built-in touch capabilities—see the video above. You can start looking for the new Satellite notebooks on October 22.

• Prospero424

Obviously, the tech will be good for tablets and such. Not so much for desktops.

But I just can’t understand how such a big, wealthy company like Microsoft has such consistently AWFUL marketing staff.

Honestly, people. You’re a laughing stock.

• Clint Torres

That’s what happens when you’re tasked with trying to appeal to everyone.

probably the nicest thing is that it’s made by Toshiba. I’ve tooled around with several of their machines over the last few months as people at work are starting to get them to replace the Dell Latitude D530s, and they’re super-solid. Satellite L500s with Core 2 T6500s. Very nice overall, even nicer given that these things were probably about $700 is all with 15″ screens. Not sure I like 1366×768 but that’s life.

• albundy

and the point of the physical keyboard would be???

• Rakhmaninov3

*click click click*

Took me 3 seconds to do all of that. lol

• DrDillyBar

ooo! it works on the web! I’m sold.

• MadManOriginal

Touchscreen on a regular desktop is very meh to me, it just seems like the newest thing to hype. I sit more than an arm’s length away from my screen as it is sooo…completely useless to me there. One place I could see it being really useful is in a kitchen PC which might not be used in a traditional desktop manner. Or possibly a media PC but even then I’d want some type of remote at the very least or a wireless keyboard/mouse combo.

Now for laptops I can see a lot more usefulness, especially in a tablet style if taking non-text notes is important.

• stmok

In general, I find touch screen is like a solution looking for a problem…It just doesn’t fit in certain aspects of computing. To even try to push it down a consumer’s throat is going to cause massive regurgitation.

• Arag0n

I think that this was the same thinking that most of phone makers tought about touch screens years ago. Look forward and see the capabilities about a touchscreen desktop. I guess that it might open the usability to people that wasnt using the new systems yet. Eldery may be happy with a computer extremly easy to use because they dont need to handle a mouse or keyboard, just needing to press what they want to open or do. Really i also think that touchscreens do not suit for most of the desktop uses nowdays of the computers but lets be creative and maybe we get the answer by itself.

Many control panels of many aplications are touchscreen like ATM’s because they are easy to use.

• UberGerbil

“push it down a consumer’s throat”?

I guess I missed the part where Microsoft comes to your house and takes away your mouse.

• dragmor

Makes a great office / net PC. Its more comfortable to write with a pen on the couch while watching something than typing.

I’m even back to hand writting emails and documents on my tablet (HP tx2522au).

• UberGerbil

Nobody is forcing you to use it; Vista has support for voice commands, but you don’t have to use that either.

Having worked on touchscreen apps, I can tell you there are situations where it works very, very well. And situations where it’s completely inappropriate. Just like a joystick doesn’t suit a FPS or a gamepad is a bad choice for a strategy game, you pick the input mechanism to match the application. And having more options is always a good thing. Outside of niche markets (and the iPhone of course) there aren’t many apps designed with any thought to touch; it will be interesting to see what creative developers do when some non-trivial fraction of their market has touchscreens. (Wider adoption should also drive down the price premium for touchscreens, which would be a good thing too.)

Interestingly, a lot of the design principles for Media Center-type applications — large click targets, lack of an on-screen pointer, etc — are exactly the same for touch apps. A well-designed “15 foot” app generally works well on a touchscreen too.

• MadManOriginal

I never said anyone was forcing me I simply outlined the reasons I think it’s meh, especially for desktops. Chief among them being that b[

• MadManOriginal

Haha hire some real actors. The guy navigating isn’t bad but I truly lol’d at the other guys lines…

“Yeah and it works on the web.” Was just the tip of the awkward delivery iceberg.
    “Wow, this is great!”
    “That’s really good.”

MS ads are always good for some laughs.

• Kurotetsu

The U500 and M500 look pretty sexy. Specs look great and they have a 16:10 resolution (at least, I’m assuming the M500 keeps the same res as the U500). The M500 might be the one to get, since I imagine the U500 will be using Intel integrated graphics (though this might not matter too much since the rest of the specs make up for it).

• indeego

Sweet. Warranty repairs skyrocket for broken LCD’sg{

• OneArmedScissor

I wonder if the touch sensing wears out over time? I could see one of my friends punching the screen in frustration…

• Majiir Paktu

Cheesy Video of 2010 Award goes to…

(Edit) On a more serious note, how useful can a touch screen really be if the screen can’t swivel and/or fold down?

• sweatshopking