Report: Clarkdale, Pine Trail to debut January 3

Intel may not take much of a break after New Year’s Day before it starts to churn out new products. At least, Fudzilla suggests both 32-nm Clarkdale CPUs and the Pine Trail Atom platform will debut on January 3—a Sunday release, somewhat typical for Intel.

Reportedly, the Clarkdale launch will cover Core i5-600 processors "all clocked above 3GHz." If there’s any truth to the leaked product lists we saw in August, Intel is cooking up four dual-core CPUs that fit that description. Base clock speeds will range from 3.2 to 3.46GHz, and the parts should have both Turbo Boost and Hyper-Threading, as well.

The August list also mentioned two Core i3 processors and one Pentium-branded Clarkdale derivative, which may lack Turbo Boost and/or Hyper-Threading. Fudzilla doesn’t say when those products are coming out, though.

Fudzilla also says Intel will introduce a new Atom N450 processor aimed at netbooks on January 3. That chip will run at 1.66GHz, and it will have a graphics core and north bridge functionality on the same silicon as the CPU. We previously heard that the N450 is code-named Pineview and will be part of the Pine Trail platform.

• Anonymous Coward

Clarksdale looks like an excellent processor. Two hyperthreaded cores at high clocks with turbo boost, plus the integrated GPU so perhaps we can have some GPU switching to shave off some more watts. I like it.

• UberGerbil

Gulftown was Q2 2010 on the last roadmap I saw. Though I wonder if you’re fully utilizing the four cores you have (or can justify paying the “extreme” pricing Intel will be asking for six)?

• yehuda

Anand also advises to wait for Arrendale, but the post-holidays launch could mean we’d be missing out on all the good deals.

• mwaschkowski

This looks like it might be the trick:

§[<http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20090722155600_ATI_Expects_DirectX_11_Graphics_Lineup_to_Ramp_Up_Fast.html<]§ I hope its early in 2010, if so, might be worth waiting for...

• mwaschkowski

Thanks UberGerbil

I’ll wait for Arrandale then, and the discrete, switchable graphics sounds good. I looked around and found:

§[<http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15201/65/<]§ Dual core with 4 threads/Turbo overclocking in Jan sounds good to me. I didn't know displayport would let you daisychain. Problematic though (esp at work), unless you buy all new monitors. I'm going to sell all my monitors at home right now for other reasons, so then I'll buy three new ones that all support display port and daisy chain them. You haven't seen an article that discusses daisy chaining 3 monitors btw? Thanks! Mark

• UberGerbil

AFAIK AMD hasn’t said anything about putting eyefinity tech into their mobile chipsets/GPUs. It might happen eventually, but I wouldn’t be trying to make a purchase timing decision based on that.

Displayport supports “daisychaining” monitors so it’s theoretically possible to run two or more off a single DP port. However, that’s not eyefinity (you’ll get the same desktop options you get with any other multimonitor setup) and you’re obviously dependent on what the hardware supports.

You probably will want to wait and see what AMD’s Tigris and Intel’s Arrandale do to the competitive landscape over the next 3-6 months. Various reports suggest the initial versions of Arrandale will be in the 35W range, with low-voltage and ultra-low-voltage versions coming later. But note that’s for the package which combines CPU, GPU, and northbridge — so it’s quite possible a 35W Arrandale might have lower total power use than other systems with a 25W CPU. Unfortunately, you’re stuck with Intel graphics unless you get a system that adds a discrete GPU (and then power usage climbs, though at least you should have switchable graphics). Displayport should be widespread, however, since it’s in the chipset (though some OEMs may not make use of it).

AMD’s Tigris platform offers a stronger IGP (with DP support but no sign of eyefinity) but a weaker (or at least architecturally older and a process node behind) CPU.
    §[<http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=778&type=expert<]§ §[<http://www.notebookcheck.net/Newsentry.153+M5e3e15f503c.0.html<]§

• sledgehammer

What’s wrong with intel? ♫♪

• mwaschkowski

Yes, I’m aware of it, but would prefer an amd eyefinity for 2 reasons: convenience and ability to play some current games (albeit at less demanding resolutions).

Thanks!

Mark

• Peldor

Considered a triplehead2go? Comes in VGA, DVI, and DisplayPort versions now.

§[<http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/<]§

• mwaschkowski

Oh, easy – I’m a programmer that works as a contractor. I need to bring in my own laptop into work for my current assignment, but I work from home 2 days a week. And I like multiple monitors, in particular, 3, so I can have my IDE in one monitor, browser in another, and server running in a third. I’m currently using 2 monitors (my laptop display and another monitor) and its just one monitor too few. But, I not that keen on getting a lappy with 2 graphics cards just so I can run three monitors – waste of money, extra heat, lose battery life, etc.

I have tried having a desktop at home and using my lappy at work, but having two environments is a bit of a pain, so if I can get a lappy that will drive 3 monitors without paying for 2 video cards (and all that entails) I’ll be thrilled.

As well, I’m not all that keen on quad core for the same reasons ($$$, heat, battery life) but if that was the only way to get a lappy that drives 3 monitors, I would do it. I don’t really mind the laptop getting hot at work, but at home it gets hot in my little office, so low heat is more of a nice to have. But I do care about battery life, only being able to turn on your laptop for 45 min (which is all you get with some of the dual video card rigs) is just blech.

Thanks for any suggestions!

• Ojref

Are lappys some kind of service you “rig” drivers get from hookers?

• wira020

hmm.. excuse me but whats the point?… laptop are meant to be mobile.. and being mobile.. the 2 extra monitor should be at home… starbuck have not yet offer extra monitor at their outlet or anything… meaning you should be using the extra monitor at home.. while that, desktop should fit the job more… reasons of heat n power alike…

unless you want to pack 2 extra monitor wherever you go?..

• ssidbroadcast

♫♪ Catch ’em, catch ’em
    gotta catch ’em all.
    Got-ta. Catch. Them. All.
    Intel codenames!♫♪

• mwaschkowski

dup, see above

• Sargent Duck

I doubt you’re going to see eyefinity on a laptop. First, physical space on a laptop is limited so I hardly think you’re going to see 3 ports.

Second, its not pratical. If you have space for 3+ monitors, you have space for a desktop

Third, eyefinity will require a lot of processing juice to run 3 displays at any worthwhile resolution. That will produce a lot of heat which is not good in a laptop, nor are laptops good at moving heat.

Fouth, you /[

• SubSeven

Eyefinity? On a lappy? First, are you planning to connect an external monitor to a laptop? If so, what is the point of having a laptop? Second, you want low power and yet a higher end chipset to push graphics on multiple monitors (if that is even possible on a laptop). Maybe i’m just uneducated or what you are saying makes very little sense.

• mwaschkowski

I’m thinking about getting a new laptop with a fast and lower power (ie. 25W) cpu when AMD’s 5800 is available in a laptop chip (I want eyefinity on my next lappy). Can anyone give me a pointer or two about when timing might be ideal?

Share this post with your friends!