Super Talent unveils USB 3.0 flash drive

Now that both Asus and Gigabyte have USB 3.0-compatible motherboards on the way, the next step is devices. Super Talent hasn’t skipped a beat, announcing a trio of USB 3.0 flash drives with hefty capacities and impressive top transfer speeds.

The new SuperSpeed USB 3.0 RAIDDrive series includes 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB models, all with USB 3.0 interfaces backward compatible with current USB 2.0 ports. Super Talent says the drives can reach speeds of up to 200MB/s when hooked up via USB 3.0 thanks to "multiple pairs of differential serial data lines technology." Obviously, though, these things won’t break any speed records when hooked up to a second-gen USB port.

Expect to see SuperSpeed USB 3.0 RAIDDrives at "resellers worldwide" in December, Super Talent says. These may remain something of a niche product for a little while, though—according to the rumor mill, Intel might not add USB 3.0 support to its chipsets until 2011. Until then, motherboard makers will have to rely on third-party USB 3.0 controllers, which could make support for the next-gen interface somewhat rare.

• spanky1off

if the USB 3.0 technology has been finalised…why is intel holding back chipsets until 2011?

• HiggsBoson

If the drive is designed to use USB3 but is backwards compatible for USB2, then arguably that’s a perfect drive to use to test a USB2 port to try and saturate the interface.

• OneArmedScissor

Heh basically any modern drive, HDD or SSD, is going to saturate USB 2.0. Supporting USB 3.0 sure as heck isn’t necessary for a drive to be able to push more than 30MB/s.

• wira020

Isnt it nice to have your favourite games or apps installed in these stick… and i dont mean portable apps or super mario… i’m thinking more of Microsoft Office or Crysis.. running at full speed…

OS is nice too, but then can windows be portable?.. i mean with the licensing and stuff…

• UberGerbil

(System Drive = Removable Drive) == Windows no likey

(Desktop Windows, anyway; XP Embedded is a somewhat different story)

• dogchainx

Anyone else itching to upgrade to USB 3.0?

I have quite a few external hard drives and it’s painful to transfer things using USB 2.0, especially when you’re dealing with a Terabyte of data. (I know…esata…but that’s not on every single computer/laptop now is it?)

I doubt Intel not implementing USB 3.0 into their chipsets won’t have that much affect with USB 3.0 gaining wide support quickly. People will require it, whether it be an add-on chip, PCI-E card or perhaps an expresscard solution.

• ew

I have no desire for USB 3.

• adisor19

Firewire 800 has been out for a while. It destroys USB 2.0 in case you’re wondering and it also doesn’t take down your CPU while doing it.

Adi

• OneArmedScissor

FW800 has certainly been out for a while…and still, nothing of interest to the average person uses it.

Standards are standards for a reason. This has the same plug as what everyone else already uses.

• MadManOriginal

Maybe if Macs used faster CPUs it wouldn’t ‘take down the CPU’ /trollmode off 😀

• SomeOtherGeek

I’m sorry, but I’m going to have to respectfully disagree. I have 2 external drives and both have USB and FW ports, but the USB blows the FW in performance. Or maybe it is a Apple thingy only?

• Drive

Impossible,Even FireWire 400 faster than USB 2.0 in Reading and Writing so what kind of PC you used?!.

• MadManOriginal

Could be a crappy firewire controller in the enclosure.

• SomeOtherGeek

Bingo! You got it… Much nicer said too compared to “Drive”. They are both old enclosures and/or old drives. Pre-2000, I believe. Still holding all my data tho and that was the point of them, not speed. But still it is time for a NAS machine. That will blow away Firewire.

• Dirge

I have been holding out for USB 3.0 since I heard it was being developed. I like you have an external drive and hate how damn slow USB 2.0 is.

• wira020

I am… hoping they replace USB2.0 around 2nd quarter next year… the same quarter i’m planning to get that 6core AMD.. lols…

By “replace”, i’m hoping that all new devices/gadgets come out with USB3.0 interface and motherboards would at least put 2 slots/headers for it… most importantly less than 10 dollar premium(if need be)… pretty please…

p/s: I thought Firewire is a dying breed?… sorry, could just be that i havent found much gadgets utilizing it, could just be that i’m not in US or sumthin… to be honest, none of my friends and college mates have them…

p/s2: in fact, when i think about it, i have never seen it in use…

• Welch

Yes… ive been waiting for the last few years for them to released a new version of USB. Knowing the speeds of USB 2.0 being the slow out-dated crap that it is… Can’t wait to score on a USB 3.0 External drive.

Those of you saying you dont care about it, you will. Transfer speeds will finally catch somewhat up to internal, instead of waiting 10-20 hell even 30 minutes for a few gigs to Xfer onto your external drive or thumb drive you can get it in a few minutes. Its about time, especially with the increase of mobile storage and the devices, people want to put their information on their mobile storage and they want it now.

And backwards compatible.. why not get it? (short of the mobo manufacturer sharing PCI-E bandwidth with SATA 6gb/s and USB 3.0…. just dont get one of those if you plan to use those extra PCI-E for video cards)

• 5150

Holy cow that Ask.com ad is annoying, unless it’s the “shoe” lady, and then it’s aaaalllll gooooood.

• liquidsquid

Yeah, I hear you *gouges at eyes*

• UberGerbil

If you don’t have Flash installed it’s just a nice, non-animated GIF.

• MadManOriginal

lol I just had to refresh to see what you were talking about…mmm. But the face she has when the animation ends is like >:D and kind of freaky.

• SomeOtherGeek

I was thinking the same damn thing and I have AdBlocker! Pissing me off – especially the guy who can’t dance (off-sync), 2 girls and the old lady – ahh – I just love their smiles!

I going into the browser and blocking all ask.com crap – they just lost another customer! Great business plan… They learning from nVidia?

• Forge

Be careful what you say and how. TR is understandably hostile to folks who say ‘FU AD REVENOO’.

• adisor19

I can corroborate to that. I got banned for a week..

Adi

• Fighterpilot

Gee it seemed like only an hour or two to be frank…

• adisor19

Yes. That one is aaaaaaaaaaaal gooooood 😀

Adi

• Grahambo

yeah, but does she play crysis?

(had to be done)

• wira020

Why dont you get ADBLOCK?… i uses it as add-on to my browser ( firefox )… and if it somehow skip adblock, try getting extension for adblock… or manually block the source…

• Welch

What… who is the shoe lady ahaha?

Have to agree… the worst is the… ummm… San Fransisco looking guy (read between the lines) wearing the sweater thing dancing. And the little girl and the lady, I just wanna smack them and say “WHY THE HELL ARE YOU DANCING!”

• 5150

The mom isn’t half bad either.