OpenOffice.org mouse has 18 buttons

No, this is no April fools joke—at least, we don’t think so. OpenOffice.org now has its own pointing device thanks to WarMouse, a little-known firm that’s announced an 18-button monstrosity geared for the multi-platform productivity suite. Behold:

Yes, the OOMouse has 18 buttons (all programmable), and that’s not even the craziest part. Check out the full feature list from the official press release:

• 18 programmable mouse buttons with double-click functionality
  • Three different button modes: Key, Keypress, and Macro
  • Analog Xbox 360-style joystick with optional 4, 8, and 16-key command modes
  • Clickable scroll wheel
  • 512k of flash memory
  • 63 on-mouse application profiles with hardware, software, and autoswitching capability
  • 1024-character macro support.
  • Open source support software for creating, managing, and customizing application profiles
  • Import and export of custom profiles in XML format
  • Optional audio notification of profile switching with customizable wave files
  • PDF export of profile button assignments
  • Adjustable resolution from 400 to 1,600 CPI
  • 20 default profiles for popular games and applications, including OpenOffice.org 3.1, Adobe Photoshop, the Gnu Image Manipulation Program, World of Warcraft, and the Call of Duty series.
  • WarMouse apparently received backing from the OpenOffice.org guys, as well. The press release quotes OpenOffice.org Marketing Project Lead John McCreesh as saying, “The OOMouse is a really cool addition to the desk of any keen OpenOffice.org user. . . . The Mouse team have worked closely with experts from the OpenOffice.org User Experience project to deliver the full benefits of the world’s leading open-source office software to the fingertips of users. The prototypes are stunning – I can’t wait to get my hands on the finished product.”

According to the OOMouse blog, the device will begin shipping “sometime in February.” The accompanying configuration software will come out “in the first quarter of 2010,” and you’ll be able to get the source code under the GNU LGPL.

What in the crap is that? Who thinks this is a good idea?

• PeterD

I would only buy such a thing to support OOo, but I don’t think it’s in any way comfortable to use.

• muyuubyou

Want. For my Macbook Pro.

• crazybus

l[

Regardless of the fact that this is a disorganised, ergonomic nightmare…..

Why is it white? I don’t see an apple badge anywhere and beige died off a long time ago.

• Meadows

g{

• UberGerbil

Unfortunately, the key to productivity in many “office” sorts of apps is keeping your hands /[

• quarantined

Two words morons: mouse gestures. Why have 18 buttons when you could simplify it down to a few buttons with many gestures instead?

I’d like to see a program that allows you to assign gestures for just about any application even Windows explorer. Or does such a thing already exist?

Nonetheless, I use Opera because the mouse gestures make it so much better. They’ve added a couple of gestures to Windows 7, but I wish they would have made a whole lot more.

• Richie_G

The O.O Mouse

• wira020

Its reasonable useful for some people i guess… given people like me who mostly depend on the mouse when browsing.. i use like 95% of my mouse and 5% keyboard for writing stuff like this… the button placement could have been more creative instead of jumbling everything at the front… and would have liked to see the main right-click and left-click button different or bigger than the other instead of just color it different…

• OneArmedScissor

You could set one of the buttons to open the character map, have enough buttons left for most of the alphabet, and then make your posts 100% with the mouse!

• Wirko

Character map? What for? Consider that you can press any number of keys at once, thus getting any one of 2^18-1 = 262143 different characters with a single click! That should suffice for every script in ~30 light year range, and if it doesn’t, there is one more button and one more… hell, what’s that… oh, a bomb trigger on the left side of the mouse.

• UberGerbil

You use your mouse for 95% of /[

• jabro

Wow – that is ugly/stupid/useless.

I’d expect to seem something like that from The Onion:
      §[<http://www.theonion.com/content/video/apple_introduces_revolutionary<]§

• tocatl

LOL, that was fun

• anotherengineer

YEAH!!!!

Now I can bind my CSS suicide to my mouse instead of “/” so I can shaft someone from knifing me lol

• herothezero

q[

• blastdoor

This was clearly made by somebody who still bitterly resents the triumph of the GUI over the CLI.

• Hattig

Mighty Mouse sucked. The ball gummed up, and the squeeze action was awkward and sometimes sensitive. I used it for a couple of years at a previous workplace. Love Macs, hate the mice.

The Magic Mouse looks more interesting, but is apparently too small according to reviews.

• blastdoor

All mice suck to a certain extent. At least I have yet to find one that I really love. For quite a while I used trackballs… first a Kensington TurboMouse (probably the best pointing device I ever owned), and then a few others.

I agree with the critique of the MightyMouse. I got a magicmouse recently and the size doesn’t really bother me, but it does have some software issues that need to be worked out (both in terms of fixing bugs and adding features).

For my desktop system, I think it would be kind of neat to have a big track pad the size of an old mouse pad with a surface that has the same texture as the MacBook Pro trackpad. Such a device could have user configurable gestures involving all five fingers, the palm, multiple taps, finger locations, etc. It could be a very powerful input device.

But in the meantime, I’m hopeful that the magic mouse can live up to its potential through some software updates… we shall see…

• indeego

The Mx518 has worked wonders for me, for three years now. I have no issues other than recommending not installing Logitech’s Setpoint, and just use built-in drivers with the OS.

I use the mouse without a pad and it’s actually worn down the desk a tadg{<...<}g

• blastdoor

Are you running on a Mac? Are you able to use all of the buttons?

• 5150

Well, he’s not a bot, if that’s what you’re insinuating.

• stmok

The exact opposite paradigm of Apple’s mice…

• VILLAIN_xx

Blah, they could they have worked on the colors at least! I can see It could be useful, but some one who helped develop this thing knew the style of *looks* might deter people to buy it at* all.

• d0g_p00p

This is the mouse that torments Steve Jobs at night

• MadManOriginal

lol this deserves a bump…RUN STEVIE IT’S THE NIGHTMARE MOUSE!!1

• Meadows

Lol.

• bdwilcox

They should call this mouse “The Homer” mouse.

• OneArmedScissor

Imagine if some company deployed this for wide spread use in an actual office environment.

I can already hear the barrages of screamed expletives as people attempt to click something, but press the wrong button, and discover they haven’t clicked anything at all, but instead closed something they were working on.

Increased productivity, indeed!

• 5150

Come on, give end users some credit, they’re actually very sma…. er, nevermind.

• Jigar

This is Madness … Or my be sparta ? LOL

• GodsMadClown

Speaking as one who suffers from a bit of RSI, my wrist hurts just looking at that thing. I can’t imagine the weird angles that my fingers might have to contort to in pressing all those little bitty buttons.

• just brew it!

Might as well just put a full QWERTY keyboard right on the mouse… 😀

• UberGerbil

Just need to add “chording” support and you’d have it. Some serious finger contortions would be required, however.

• Shining Arcanine

Quiet, you might give them an idea.

• Vasilyfav

You couldn’t pay me enough to use that. And when you factor in it will retail for $74.99…

• Bensam123

Anyone else think having more then 5 buttons on the pointing device hand is almost anti-productive?

Unless a logical association can be made between the buttons with a pre-defined role, I think it would be extremely confusing for what the mouse hand is used for. Such as scrolling, click/alternate click, forward and backward all have their own individual and distinct roles. Something like this functions more like a keyboard, which is stupid.

• Aphasia

Although i could think of a mouse that alike the Logitech G5 that instead of backwards and forwards actually would use a modifier button or two as the programmed. But thats just software. Cant imagine all those buttons will function well. If you really want to be THAT productive, get an add on keyboard plate with programmable keys like the old xKeys.

• My Johnson

But can it play Crysis?

Ok, I’ll leave now…

• PeterD

It can’t make a cup of coffee.
        That’s bad.

• morphine

OpenOffice: constantly improving s$%# no-one cares about, while the actual office suite remains slow, bloated, and outdated.

Way to go guys.

• PeterD

That’s not correct.
        The people who worked on the mouse are not actually involved with Ooo.

• KyleSTL

And Macs still have a single button (save for the Magic Mouse).

• adisor19

What about the Mighty Mouse ? That had more then 1 button as well.

Adi

• KyleSTL

I was under the impression that the might mouse was a single click with a little roll ball (that also clicked). In my book click wheel does not count for a second click. It’s still left click+click wheel, not left click+right click.

• adisor19

You were wrong. The mighty mouse has :

– left click
            – right click
            – middle click
            – side squeeze click
            – 4 directions scroll ball

Adi

• d2brothe

Left and right click are still ONLY one button, but with a touch sensor. Different from two buttons, having to lift my index finger to right click is awkward.

• adisor19

It’s a matter of getting used to.

Adi

• Meadows

That’s always been Apple’s issue right there.

• d0g_p00p

Sorry but if the “mighty mouse” does not support Mouse chording or recognize when multiple (left & right) buttons are used it’s still a single button mouse. Apple just cannot design a function mouse. Hell even the brand new “magic mouse” does not even have a standard middle button.

Yes I use quotes when talking about both those mice, since there is nothing mighty or magic about either of those crippled mice.

• SNM

You know, actually trying this out on my normal mouse…it might not be so bad. Assuming it’s reasonably intelligent about doing a normal left/right-click if you hit extra buttons by mistake.
      Sure, hitting the non-corner buttons will be slow, but probably not slower than taking your hand off the mouse or moving your left hand over to the right side of the keyboard.

• Pez

Gimmie! Perfect for WoW and music production.

• not@home

I was just thinking it would be great for Diablo.

• Pez

yeah would be good – Show items, all hotkeys for both 1st/Alt attacks… Hmm…

Games like Neverwinter would benefit too, since they require massive numbers of binds.

• stoydgen

Some people struggle with 8-button controllers… but this? with two fingers and a thumb? *Facepalm*

• ironoutsider

*facepalm also* 8 button controllers also allow you to use both hands! 18 buttons with maybe 4 or 5 fingers *face bang on wall repeatedly*

• tfp