Poll: What will be the best PC game of the season?

It’s that time of year again. Days are shorter, the weather is colder, folks are putting up decorations and prepping for the holiday shopping rush, and a new batch of games is coming out. Well, unless you live in the southern hemisphere, in which case you’re probably enjoying long, warm days right now. But the games thing still applies.

Point is, we’re facing a flood of exciting new titles this season, and we’re wondering which ones our readers are most eagerly anticipating. So, we’ve put up a shiny new poll with a list of some of the hottest new and upcoming PC games, from Valve’s Left 4 Dead 2 to Futuremark’s 3DMark: The Game Shattered Horizon, which apparently ain’t bad at all.

Scroll down on this page to vote on your pick. You can also cast your ballot from the front page.

Our last poll was all about which TR readers are switching to Windows 7 and when. By now, it looks like over half of our respondents are running Win7 already. (A substantial number were already using the OS on launch day, we might add.) Around 13% plan to wait more than a month after the launch, and 9% will play it safe and wait for the first service pack. Meanwhile, 9% of voters don’t plan to upgrade at all, and another 6% don’t run Windows to begin with.

• yogibbear

WTF??? There’s more votes for CODMW2 lately… i smell console forum corruption!!!! ARGH!

• yogibbear

If the question was, “Which game did you have the most fun with?”, then my answer would be Left 4 Dead 2.

But it’s GOTY basically… so… Dragon Age Origins (which i don’t own yet) or Risen (which i do)

• alphaGulp

Dragon Age is truly marvelous – so much so that, having 1st purchased the regular version (50$), I then as I played and enjoyed the game so much, I happily purchased the upgrades individually (knowing the game itself was worth way more than 67$ in total, having only explored 30% of the world), and then still later, when I saw how the deluxe special edition has a few extra items of equipment, I bought that too.

That’s how good the game is. And if you doubt my putting 117$ in value on this game, check out the modding tools they released – these are the actual tools Bioware used internally, without doubt, free for people to use to create new content and mods.

However, since the 6 ways to start the game are significantly different from one another, albeit having only played the ‘(noble) human’ and ‘noble elf’, *[

this is like Sophie’s Choice. I have to choose which of my favorite games lives and which one dies.

I mean, in terms of which one gets played.

I choose Dragon Age.

• Ashbringer

Dukenukem Forever

What? It could still happen. Maybe.

• Anonymous Coward

I’m still playing Civilization 4 BTS. Multiplayer is really a lot of fun with like-minded people (and some AIs thrown in).

• Walkintarget

I read thru this hoping to find some game to spur my interest, but even after reading comments and checking on each game, I found … nothing.

Currently playing TF2, and waiting for a CoH:Eastern Front from Relic. Nothing else really has me interested. So sad … I need a fresh game for the holidays or I am forced to root thru the bargain bin again.

• jbraslins

Dragon Age for sure. 38 hours into an 80 hour story and it’s still keeps me interested.

• aspect

Agreed, Dragon Age is one of the few few single player games that can keep me interested this long.

• Jmo

Heroes of Newerth anyone? I’m not too sure when the actual release date is, but the beta is nearing perfection.

• sweatshopking

also me i love that game

• PrincipalSkinner

I was just going to post something about it. Just finished a game.

• anotherengineer

isnt that almost teh same as WoW?? And its in beta, will it be released this year or 2010??

• yogibbear

STALKER Call of Pripyat is set for release on December 30, so if we’re including unreleased games (which we are) surely this is the true no. 1 MOST ANTICIPATED GAME of 2009. (As everything else got shafted to 2010…)

• dalisam

Thats the game I,m looking forward to.

• Chryx

I put my vote in for Arkham Asylum, it’s just so damned polished.

• rpsgc

Seriously, whoever voted for Modern Warfare 2 should be spanked. You’re no PC gamer.

• TheBob!

Same with borderlands. Most underwhelming game I have played in a long time. And the ending. Really gearbox that’s the ending.

• Jmo

I’m about 12 hours in and so far I’m loving it. What i can’t understand though, is how people can get so fired up for COD when its just the same thing redone in a different time period. I got tired of it after the first modern warfare. I’ll stick to my CSS for a solid online FPS.

• Pasdepardon

Age of wonders : Shadow Magic (with Dwiggs 5.0 or BNW 3.2)…

Oh! 2009? that late already?!? ok gotta catch up…

• maroon1

The Saboteur is not out yet

So who would vote for a game that no one played ?!

• Voldenuit

l[

• Meadows

Batman and Torchlight are strong contenders, although I hear Torchlight was released buggy so I believe I vote for Batman.

I haven’t played either yet.

• phez

If we’re talking about GOTY here – Arkham Asylum should win.

• Kurkotain

Batman: Anti Alising? (Ducks)

• Jambe

Best? Pff. I voted “other” because different games are better at different things. Samey shooters for pick up & play fragging, in-depth strategies for long-haul gaming, and various RPGs spanning the gamut.

I haven’t purchased it yet because Keberos is notorious for releasing unfinished games, but a few of my friends are playing Fort Zombie ($10) and are saying it’s bloody fantastic.

• TurtlePerson2

But where are the RTS games on the list? I can’t even think of a great RTS that came out this year. I guess Empire Total War came out, but the buggy launch kind of killed it in my opinion.

• Jambe

Men of War
        Dawn of Discovery
        Hearts of Iron III
        Empire: Total War
        Warhammer 40k DoW II
        Defense of the Ancients (sorta)

Oh, and Ubisoft relaunched World in Conflict and published WiC: Soviet Assault this year, too. There haven’t been loads of high-profile, high-budget strategy releases like in some years past, I’ll grant you that. But it hasn’t been a total loss. Also, Kerberos released Argos Naval Yard this year.

• balzi

I voted DiRT2 just because its a driving game. I don’t play RPGs or FPSs.
    All hte other options were one of those, or in some cases, I’ve never heard of them.

I actually play driving games (Flatout2, Driver, 1nsane) so DiRT2 gets a random vote.

• Richie_G

Well I’ve gone for DAO for all its foibles (I’m talking about the DLC debacle and a couple of minor bugs), it’s got me hooked and is huge by today’s standards for single player games. Given the tripe that is Mass Effect, and how amazed I was at how impressed people were with a game that was both short in plot and incredibly repetitive, it’s been a sigh of relief to see that the usually high attention to detail I’ve come to expect from BioWare is still there.

Batman was a great game but just doesn’t have the legs to beat DAO. L4D2 I’m not bothering with, mainly because I got tired of the first one quick enough and see nothing that’ll reinvigorate my interest past a few hours. Borderlands was very enjoyable once I’d tweaked the configs etc, but falls short both in size and the diabolical online setup. It was also rather anti climactic at the end.

MW2 will, I’m sure, have a great single player story – albeit very short. I won’t be buying this game though since it has been castrated for PC multiplayer (you can’t avoid the moaning about it). When you take away the gloss from the new release, it’ll be rather anaemic compared to it’s forerunner (and more importantly: perform worse in multiplayer), and I expect many will drop it and go back for that reason.

The rest I’ve not played, though Torchlight is on my to-do list.

• Pettytheft

I’ll have to go with Dragon Age. IT’s the first game to pull me away from Civ4 in a long time.

• Voldenuit

L4D2 for me. It’s preordered and preloaded. One of my friends just picked up the first game, and I’m helping him clear out the official campaigns again. Forgotten how easy ‘Advanced’ mode was…

10 hours into Dragon Age, and it’s… okay, I guess? It looks exactly like a realtime version of Baldur’s Gate, and the skill tree is very… uninteresting. The spell tree looks slightly better, but it was a mistake for me to make a controller mage for the beginning portion of the game instead of a DPS mage. I liked Fallout, The Witcher and Mass Effect better, but I’ll keep at it for a bit longer. For some reason I can’t play it for more than an hour without getting bored.

Also 10 hours into Borderlands, and this game is just a nasty cleveland steamroller on my hard drive. Remind me to uninstall it when I can be bothered.

Went down to the store yesterday and they were sold out of Torchlight. Interesting…

• Ardrid

You can get Torchlight off Steam. I highly recommend it.

• odizzido

if you want to deal with steam yeah.

• Jmo

Steam has its upsides and downsides, overall its pretty no hassle though.

• greeny

Nothing wrong with steam, ok they have the occasional bit of slowness here and there but overall I have about 40 games on there and I can count on the fingers of one hand the problems I’ve had

• NeronetFi

I checked out the demo for Torchlight and have to say its very addictive.

• swaaye

I’m not really digging anything in the current lineup….

I’ve been playing X-Com UFO Defense. What a timeless game. There are newer takes on that kind of game, but I really don’t need extra complexities or “upgraded” visuals. I have to say though that the damn super psionic aliens make me so very angry..

I think I’m looking forward to that new AVP game. I hope the singleplayer kicks ass as I’m not much into multiplayer anything these days.

• nookie

Where the *** is NFS Shift?

• YellaChicken

I think NFS Shift is more suited to a ‘Most anticipated Patch’ poll than a ‘Most anticipated Game’ poll. :-p

• Shinare

I too very much enjoy NFS:Shift. Probably my favorite game all year. Still not %100 satisfied with it, but it will do till GT5 comes out next year.

• OneArmedScissor

You know, at first, I thought people were being pessimistic.

Then I stopped to think – how the hell is RE5 on a list of “best games?”

• MrBojangles

I agree. I just finished playing through RE5 roughly 2 weeks ago and was very disappointed. How it got such high praise and reviews is a mystery to me. Even more confused by how it managed to get a survival horror label. I played my fair share of survival horror games (resident evil 1-4,code veronica, parasite eve, fatal frame 1-3, silent hill 1-4 and homecoming/origins) and that was not one of them gore and zombie related story or not.

Disappointment in RE5 aside i voted for dragon. Been waiting years for another sequel or spiritual successor to the baldurs gate series and its about D*** time.

• XaiaX

I voted for Batman, because it’s a better driving game than Modern Warfare 2.

• south side sammy

Really tough to pick from these but Dirt2 because I’m new to racing and would like to try something different. COD is a let down for the modder and home game server crowd. The space one….. on line only….. this is the death of PC gaming as we know it. I don’t like 3rd person shooters or RPG’s so they’re all out.
    I just finished FarCry2 again. One out of a millon that actually have replayability. 200 hours the first time through and now going on diamond hunts and just doing things I didn’t the first time through. Played it 6 times…. woohoo.

• indeego

haha. I couldn’t feel more differently. I gave up on diamonds halfway though the game, and was sooooooo happy to be done with it so I could take the bits off my machine forever. Glad you enjoyed it thoughg{

• adam1378

i agree with Far Cry 2 being a slight disappointment, I really did expect more. I think the crack shot enemies and my poor shot did me in.

• Mystic-G

I’m saddened to see how many people actually voted for the console game.

• Jmo

They did a pretty good job translating it over, and lets be honest, FPS’s are always better on the PC. I have a 360 and i still didn’t purchase it for console.

• [TR]

I’m finding it way too easy on PC. (Playing on Hardened)

• kamikaziechameleon

yeah, i folded and bought MW2 on pc, it is really good, but severely hampered by the peer hosting. I’ve experienced annoying host disconnects frequently, and migrating hosts mid match really sucks. There is no reason to not feature a dedicated server. I do like the party system though.

• zima

When will you people stop that? Those are NOT console games, those are simply hynrids that aren’t exploiting strenghts of BOTH platfroms / are mediocre on BOTH. And, more generally, a sign that gaming is much more mainstream nowadays (on BOTH kinds of platforms) – we’re simply not the target demographic anymore.

Do you really need this BS that much? What is it about, to feel elitist?

• Mystic-G

It’s not elitist to speak the honest truth. Infinity Ward lowered the PC version to the lowest common denominator for consoles so console gamers can no longer whine about not having the best experience and so IW can force DLC later on.

Console gamers would feel the same exact way if IW lowered all the platforms to mach the wii experience. 4 vs 4 anyone? They wouldn’t because you don’t give every platform the same exact experience when some have key differences in the platform.

It’s undeniably a step back for PC gaming and all you and thousands of others can do is try to justify their idiocy by calling PC gamers elitist. Like PS3/360 gamers don’t rag on the Wii for being behind or casualizing the market.

• zima

Can’t you comprehend that I’m _also_ a PC gamer? (what would I do here?) And actually in kinds of games that are quite niche even on a PC…

Yes, you are elitist if you look at the matter only from things which matter to you, are complete technicalities and make “your” platform look better. Falsifying history to boot. DLC isn’t an idea that originated on consoles; PCs have a long history of expansions. It’s just that now it’s sensible / cheaper / more profitable to offer them through digital distribution…

I’m fed up with it. Even if it’s sometimes funny… (usually: when discussing some of the more “hardcore”, “one and only true” games on a PC, that I play in, with other players, the discussion quite often spiralls to “heh, those stupid idiot console gamers and their games”. Imagine their look when I announce that I have a long history of console gaming and I love it (though lately, due to HYBRIDS, it’s harder to find a good game…). To which they usually say that r[<"Well, you're not the REAL console player, you're the GOOD one".<]r *[

• Lans

Umm, I think the console gamers are being “elitist” by your definition. Given the player limit and dedicated servers don’t worry them/they can’t take advantage of it in the first place. i.e. console gamers don’t give a crap about the issue because it doesn’t matter to their platform of choice.

For something more constructive, how hard *[

• albundy

Divinity II: Ego Draconis is my next game, but i’m still having fun with Devil May Cry 4 (DX10 version)

• SomeOtherGeek

Is Valentine’s Day a season? I hope that Starcraft II will be out before then.

• PRIME1

I thought Dirt2 was coming out next year?

I voted Batman because I at least played the demo of it and really liked it. Such a rarity for comic book based games to be good.

Although Dragon Age and Borderlands look very interesting to me and I will probably pluck them out of the bargain bin when they get there.

• Vasilyfav

What a sad time we’ve come to that there’s so few PC games that we don’t even have to break them down by genre.

What a ridiculously pointless poll. Yes, let’s compare RPG’s with racing and FPS with puzzles and then call it arbitrarily best.

• Taddeusz

How about an “I don’t care” option?

• blastdoor

Or a “the sorry state of gaming makes me sad” option 🙁

• SomeOtherGeek

Most definitely buying that for my 9-year-old daughter…

• TurtlePerson2

There really isn’t too much to get me excited this season.

• Philldoe

Dragon age let me down hard core. I hated it. Sold my copy to a friend.

Borderlands.. now that is a game.

• khands

The poll is for best /[

• Philldoe

Yeah.. let’s see.. I have Borderlands on PC bought through Steam.. and Dragon Age on DVD for PC.. Yeah I read that right…

• khands

I’m just saying I’ve heard lamentations like that, but only from 360 gamers before, you’re the first I’ve heard hating it on the PC.

• boing

I agree, I can’t stand the game. Its even worse than NWN2, something I didn’t think was possible. I’m going back to Mass Effect and The Witcher.

• alphaGulp

I was super disappointed at first too, but believe me it’s worth sticking with it.

Dragon Age honestly is brilliant in so many ways that I’m simply in awe of what they did. I have never seen a game this good, ever, and I’ve been playing (PC) games for decades.

• Nibien

Agreed. I’ll admit, for the first bit I was actually fairly bored/disappointed, at least as a human mage. The origin storyline, I felt, was just… boring and tedious and the very few spells I had were just not particularly fun to use.

However, once you actually become a warden and get into the tower, as well as get NPCs with real personalities, the game is absolutely amazing. One of the best.

There are flaws, of course, some very annoying ones in fact, but the game is great despite that.

Of course, 60 hours in a single-play-through with tons of NPC personality and interaction is nothing compared to 6 hours with a cliche’ storyline that LETS ME SHOOT LOTS OF STUFF! OMG YES!!11112

• SecretMaster

Dragon Age. People are probably sick to death of hearing me talk about it, but when you’ve waited some 5+ years for a game that is the successor to Baldur’s Gate, you know its got to be good.

• mcnabney

All I had to know was that Bioware was at the helm. Talk about having the Midas Touch with RPGs…

• Skrying

Best? Borderlands. Most popular? Modern Warfare 2. One I play the most? Torchlight.

• tikrjee

That’s actually quite a shock on those results. I was expecting it to be a little one-sided.

• BoBzeBuilder

Fallout 3 is still the best 🙂

But I voted Shattered Horizon. Quality games at $20 is the way we should be moving forward.

• TurtlePerson2

Shattered Horizon was one of the only PC exclusives besides Torchlight.

• ImSpartacus

Borderlands, that is all.

• travbrad

This. I was a bit skeptical actually, thinking it may rely on it’s unique graphics rather than having good gameplay, but it’s amazingly fun.

The RPG elements aren’t too heavy (although there is still a lot of variety), and the FPS aspect is MILES above any other RPG/FPS mixture game. This may not appeal to the big RPG fans, but it’s perfect for my tastes.

• NeronetFi

Borderlands is fun. I like the fact that you get a large array of random drops. I got luck and picked up a sheild that is 640. Have not found another shield since that is even close.

What would be really cool is if they had a shop that you could create weapons with elemental damage.

• indeego

The same thing happened to me in Torchlight around dungeon level 15. I’ve been invulnerable pretty much sinceg{<.<}g

• drkicker

Dirt 2 just because it and Grid have been the only decent racing games on the PC in the last 5+ years.

• Jigar

Tried NFS Shift ?

• Nibien

Modern Warfare 2 will be the most popular, no doubt. Then again, Transformers 2 was more popular than than tens of thousands of well-written books, so to say it is popular is only to say it appeals to the lowest common denominator.

• Jigar

Torchlight it is …

agreed.

• indeego

Fun, but not the bestg{<.<}g

• SPOOFE

I agree, though my view is terribly biased by the ridiculously fun game that runs great on pretty ubiquitous hardware.

• HallofFamer

What about Diablo II v1.13?

• Jigar