Dell Zino HD reaches the U.S., starts at $229

Well, that didn’t take long. Two days after its first appearance in Europe, Dell’s Zino HD has made it across the Atlantic and onto Dell’s U.S. online store.

We expected Dell’s U.S. arm to charge around $349 for the AMD-based nettop, but as it turns out, the company only demands $229 for the cheapest configuration. That config has almost everything in common with the €229 European model: a 1.6GHz single-core Athlon, Radeon HD 3200 integrated graphics with HDMI out, 2GB of memory, a DVD burner, external Serial ATA connectivity, and Windows 7 Home Premium x64. However, the U.S. model lacks integrated 802.11n Wi-Fi and comes with 250GB of mechanical storage instead of 320GB.

Adding 802.11g Wi-Fi will raise the total by $20 (802.11n costs $40), and the 320GB hard drive throws on an extra $25. Dell also lets you step up to a dual-core Athlon X2 for $60, and you can chuck in an 18.5" Dell IN1910N display for $160 more. All in all, you can get yourself a pretty decent small-form-factor desktop for well under $500. (The Zino HD measures only 7.8" x 7.8" x 3.4".)

Update: Although it’s too early to draw any conclusions, it appears that the U.S. Zino HD product page alternatively displays $229 and $359 price tags for the cheapest config when refreshed. We’ll keep you posted.

• SomeOtherGeek

C’mon, people! Get with the program!

But can it play Crysis?

and…

How much does it weight?

• UberGerbil

I suppose Dell has had these “On Call” options for a while and I’ve just never noticed them, but I guess the Nerd Herd profit-margins were just too great for them to resist:

Move your files and folders from your old PC [add $29]
    Set up your Internet connection and check email [add $29]
    Green your PC to save power and reduce wear and tear! [add $29]

• MadManOriginal

lol wtf does the ‘green your PC’ thing do? $29 to change some power settings??

• UberGerbil

Yeah, I don’t know, but I’m sure not willing to pay $30 to find out.

• UberGerbil

Can someone explain to me how Dell offers 3GB and 6GB configurations using “2 DIMMs”? 😉

• 5150

2+1 = 3GB
      2+4 = 6GB

• MadManOriginal

Someone said this in the other thread but it bears repeating – there is just one small thing missing from this which would make it killer for an HTPC or media PC and that’s a digital audio output. I understand that the HDMI output can serve that purpose to an extent but that’s only if you hook it up to an HDMI receiver or prepro whereas a simple SPDIF port would be more flexible and you could still use the HDMI for protected video+audio content.

• BobbinThreadbare

Can’t most TVs port digital audio from HDMI to optical out?

I agree it would make it more flexible, but I don’t think it’s a huge issue.

• MadManOriginal

Er yeah I said that, it just lacks full flexibility and a SPDIF port adds very little cost and there’s clearly room…HDMI probably costs more due to licensing but is required for protected video. The average person who just hooks it up to their everyday HTIB or recevier-based system won’t care but more discerning people might.

• UberGerbil

Maybe they should do a Media Enthusiast Edition with that and a remote….

• MadManOriginal

Speaking of a remote, did you see the fourth picture? 😉 I guess it doesn’t come with one but it seems to be remote capable which is good for a media center PC.

• SomeOtherGeek

Maybe it was a motherboard limitation? Nowadays, most mobo carry that extra port, so I don’t why it is not built-in when it has the room. You know how many slot this has? I can’t find it.

• Bauxite

Even $229 desktops from a major oem come with 64bit Win7.

That is the real winner in the long run, finally delivering the killing blow to 32 bit…hint hint slacka** programmers and cheapo driver coders.

Also, atom nettops? begone.

• SomeOtherGeek

Us driver programmers are not cheap! We go for around $45/hour, so we are definitely not cheap! 😉 I’m just kidding, I understand what you mean. I don’t know what their problems are, but really most of the time a recompile with a 64-bit compiler will do the trick. And most drivers are not that big. So, good point!

• UberGerbil

A lot of drivers are old code which require a lot more than “just a recompile” — there are alignment issues, inline assembly, etc. And then there’s the hardware that won’t tolerate 64bit addresses, period. That’s older stuff too, but there’s a lot of it around which is one of the (alternative to “slacka**”) reasons some old bits of hardware don’t get 64bit drivers.

For application code, you can choose to do one version that works on everything (x86); or two versions, one of which can only be run by a relatively small base of customers and which probably doesn’t offer any compelling features that would justify a higher price, despite increasing work for your programmers and doubling your QA load. The only programmers who really deserve being called out for being slacka** are the ones that work on products that actually benefit from a port to 64bit (most of Adobe’s offerings, for example).

• Creamsteak

Looks like they are still playing around with the listing and now give windows vista home basic with the default config and charge $30 for the upgrade.

• Shinare

Mine came up $319 + $40 shipping for a formula Red with dual core, wi-fi, DVD burner included. Not too shabby.

Edit: However, the shipping AND tax kill it. $384.72 total. No deal. Canceled checkout.

Yeah, at that price it’s definitely what my parents would need. The low-end config upgraded to have a dual-core CPU would be perfect for them. My EPP discount would basically get them the CPU upgrade for half-off.

• anotherengineer

wow its almost cheaper to buy a PC with win7 than just a separate retail copy of win 7 ($220 cnd) alone, seems like a good deal to me!!

• SomeOtherGeek

Yea, wow, computers are becoming disposable!

• WillBach

If you navigate to “Tech Specs” on the Zino HD page, Dell says that Ubuntu Linux 9.04 is supported, although they only offer Windows in the “personalize” options. Still, that makes the Zino a very attractive little box.

• Creamsteak

Shipping and handling is also a bit killer. I’m still tempted to order two stock low end models as christmas gifts for my mother and brother who both lack any sort of computer.

***

Shipping is free however if you go up to $699, according to one of their sales reps. That makes me tempted to order just a bit more for the deal.

***

But apparently they mean $699 spent on a single system, which puts it well past a waste.

• Shinare

Would this make a good headless email and media server?

• WillBach

I think it would. It certainly has everything that a light-weight server would need, including lots of ports for external hard drives. I’m not sure if the processors listed support hardware virtualization, but then, not all servers need that.

• Bauxite

I’m leaning towards yes on VT with all these, but finding the exact models on their site isn’t going too well.

Its a safer claim than picking a random intel cpu as you’re pretty much required to check exact model # (and sometimes stepping/revision) on their ark page, and it skips between yes/no through an entire segment.

All current AMD CPUs support VT, I thought.

• Bauxite

In the consumer segment some sempron etc don’t have it, these are somewhat harder to identify being more of an embedded package…using the product matrix or plugging in the exact model #s isn’t turning anything up.

• MadManOriginal

Sure, at least it has a few eSATA ports assuming they can work with port multiplier enclosures it’s not limited to the internal drive. But then you’re compromising the small form factor to get that external storage so I don’t completely agree with WillBach. If the capacity of the internal drive is enough then definitely, if you want the option for more drives it’s not nearly as compelling.

• UberGerbil

Well, I think you can find an enclosure that would sit under it fairly well. (In fact, Dell should do that — sell a matching eSATA enclosure with space for up to 5 drives in RAID).

But really, if you’e just talking about email and you’re not intending to stream multiple HD video feeds all over the house, you can stick your storage anywhere and hook it up via gigE (since this has a gigE port).

So I think it’s a good fit; what kind of surprises me is that Dell hypes the HDMI/BluRay aspect of it and then doesn’t offer the option for a remote.

• MadManOriginal

Ok, my point however was that if the internal storage is not suitable then you’re looking at an external enclosure so the form factor and price advantage is greatly diminished. In that case one should at the very least research other options. Do you disagree with that? A 5 drive eSATA external enclosure would bring it up to at least the size of a mITX case or maybe even a compact mATX case. He did say b[<'media server'<]b but did not go in to details so we have to hedge our answers. I agree and did say that if the internal storage is sufficient that it's a good prebuilt. So I'm not even sure why you replied as if you disagree?

• UberGerbil

I didn’t disagree; I was just pointing out that in at least some cases people who need more than the 1 or 2 TB that would fit in this thing may not be putting the storage inside the “head end” box anyway, but out on the network, so it’s possible that having storage requirements greater than the drives that would fit in this (I wonder how far away 4TB drives are?) doesn’t necessarily disqualify it.

• MadManOriginal

eSATA isn’t out on the network :p

It certainly would make a nice little client system but again that’s not what Shinare was asking.

• UberGerbil

I explicitly talked about gigE and putting storage on the network in my first reply, but maybe you didn’t bother to read that far.

• MadManOriginal

Which didn’t make any sense given that Shinare was asking about i[

• eitje

there’s such a thing as network attached storage, which does nothing more than hold content for other, more robust, networked appliances.

• MadManOriginal

What part of ‘media u[

• cmdrjameson

the thing that is bugging me is that leaving the default processor and video card option gives an error when you add the blue-ray option.
          the hd3200 says it has full blue-ray decode built in.

and yes not having win 7 as default but as upgrade is annoying as well.

It does have a bluray option but forces you to get the 4330. So basically BD HTPC for $404. Very tempting.

edit: with further finagling, selecting the cheaper dual core (X2 3250e) and keeping the HD3200 allows the BD drive and brings the price down to $389

• BoBzeBuilder

Or you can get a PS3!

• Kurotetsu

That actually would be a better option in no51’s case.

• FubbHead

If you want some flexibility, definitely not.

• 5150

Color me impressed. If my mom was looking desktop instead of laptop I’d be recommending this to her.

• DrDillyBar

I configured one, and it ended up at ~$700. Too bad it’s not available on the CDN site yet.

• BoBzeBuilder

Very nice. Will be getting one soon.