Battlefield: Bad Company 2 PC to include DirectX 11 support

As you may or may not know, while DICE’s original Battlefield: Bad Company game was a console exclusive, the sequel—creatively entitled Battlefield: Bad Company 2—will hit PCs on March 2, 2010, the same day as the console launch.

Not content with simple cross-platform development, DICE has gone ahead and implemented DirectX 11 support in the PC flavor of the upcoming squad-based first-person shooter. We learned this juicy tidbit from AMD, which gave us the following list of upcoming DX11 games and game engines in a recent presentation:

GSC Game World’s S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat is another high-profile DX11 game, although unlike what the table suggests, it won’t actually come out in the United States until early next year. The original, Russian version of the title debuted in October, and a German version reached stores in Europe earlier this month.

• Apples

Anyone??? can someone help me at all please……..i really wanna play but obviously i cant 🙁

• Apples

Hey can anyone help me? I just got battlefield bad company 2 for pc and i installed it but whenever i try to get into a game or anything else if i make a sudden movement with my mouse my computer will shut the game down I have all the requirments so i have no idea why it wont work can anyone help me? If so please respond

• jasonalwaysready

hard-on collider, nothing. flux capacitor, everything.

• jasonalwaysready

i can’t see the difference in power between the tercel and corvette either, but i haven’t taken them out of the driveway.

• sigher

I’m more concerned about what crap DRM and ingame ad system is ‘supported’ when we are talking about EA
    How did that buyout of EA by MS pan out anyway?

• sigher

Games and especially DX are all about decoration, what you are looking for is OpenCL and DirectCompute support, that would influence things more on a non-decorative level I would think.

• sigher

Well most all DX11 games will run on DX10 cards, just in DX10 mode, if that’s your concern.
    It will be a while before gameauthors start to ignore the existence of DX10 and makes games that won’t work without DX11, at least a year, probably longer.

• squeezee

It’s still coming last i heard although no firm release date has appeared.

Keep in mind that both BF1943 and BF:BC2 will use the Frostbite2 engine on PC so both games *[

• charged3800z24

lol, I shouldn’t be aloud to type.

• Irascible

The thought of lo_[

• UberGerbil

When Krogoth isn’t doing his self-assigned job, somebody has to step in.

(And it’s “flair” btw, unless you’re trying to suggest I’m burning brightly and lighting up this thread)

• DancingWind

Well as i understand in DX11 there is this BIG 3: Tesselation; Compute Shaders; and Multithreding support for graphics engine.
    First is dx11 hardware exclusive;
    2nd one might or might not work well with DX10 cards;
    and the last, as i understand, is entirely a software thing that should be compatible with all graphics cards as long as you have DX11 installed.

• Xenolith

What happened to BF:43 for the PC?

• OneArmedScissor

That would depend on which features are used. It doesn’t necessarily mean much if something is “a DX11 game.”

I think the important part is really just the rendering engine being multi-threaded, but I don’t recall anyone saying if that was something that would apply to older cards or not.

• deathBOB

How significant are the changes that DX11 brings? I still can hardly tell the difference between 10 and 9 (granted, I don’t usually have graphics settings all the way up).

• spanky1off

saw this a couple of weeks ago on wiki

§[<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_11_support<]§ pretty much identical to the above list so not so new news, but also includes a couple of titles for driving fans. i dont know about anyone else but i get a great sense of satisfaction from having developers plop extras onto the pc version over consoles. i.e. dragon age - origins. i also own an xbox but christ i hate shooters/rpgs and strategy games on this system. nothing beats the mouse for shooting someone accurately in the face.

• charged3800z24

I am glad to see Battelfield Bad Company 2 on DX11. I also don’t care about the first one now being on PC. It isn’t like it had the rigid story line that we all are going to be lost on and not be able to play the game now… I still play BF2 and this will be a nice change.

• charged3800z24

Ya, but then no one would need to buy new hardware. Companies wouldn’t sell product. Thousands would loose jobs…. Plus, new stuff is always fun.

• asdsa

That’s called progress. And thanks for consoles, DX9 will be hanging around for (too) a long time.

• Vaughn

lol Ubergerbil, you have such a flare for stating the obvious 😛

• DrDillyBar

Good question.

• SomeOtherGeek

Ooooo! ATi’s plan to burn nVidia! Fixed, fixed!

Well, I’ll still wait for TR to confirm that these games are all it is cracked up to be…

• A_Pickle

That’s what I was thinking. While Bad Company 2 might have DirectX 11 support, Bad Company 1 didn’t seem to have PC support.

In short, GTH, EA.

• Meadows

Dude. What does the hard-on collider have to do with time travel?

Secret Answer: nothing.

• Mystic-G

Well thank you for being a d*** about it. ^_^ +1 respect

• UberGerbil

Doesn’t matter. Good luck getting your DVD to play BD data from a physical DVD disc. Good luck getting a previous gen game console to play a current-gen game, regardless of media. Good luck getting a classic Pentium to run SSE code, or an original Voodoo card to play a DX9 game.

And actually, there is 10level9, so DX10/11 is actually /[

• wira020

meant to reply #5.. wonder why i cant edit…

• wira020

I think time travel is the safest bet… try the hadron collider…

• Mystic-G

Ironically everything you just mentioned are a variation of different physical formats, no something that’s digital.

• UberGerbil

I think it kind of sucks my DVD player can’t play BluRay. And, for that matter, that my CD player can’t play DVDs. My VHS VCR can’t, either. And why can’t the original Playstation play PS3 games? The bastards.

• Farting Bob

You could always build your own DX11 chip. I cant imagine it would be too difficult.

• SPOOFE

Time travel or prognostication, that’s about it.

• Mystic-G

I think what sucks is that you have to go buy a new card to play DX11, I wish there was a way around all that.

• UberGerbil

The real question is which (if any) of these have a rendering engine actually redesigned for DX10/11, and which are fundamentally DX9 games that offer an alternate DX11 codepath. Given that the installed base is still overwhelmingly DX9, they pretty much have to have a DX9 engine; the question is whether there’s /[

• ironoutsider

I know the game was really good too!!

• TurtlePerson2

Are they ever going to release Bad Company 1 on the PC? It seems silly to only release the sequel.

Share this post with your friends!