Could Asus purchase Toshiba’s laptop business?

In a recent report about the laptop market, market research firm DisplaySearch noted that Asus was "steadily losing share" to first-tier vendors like Acer, HP, Dell, Lenovo, and Toshiba. Could Asus eat up one of the top five to increase its footprint? Asus is certainly considering it, according to DigiTimes.

DigiTimes writes that Asus intends to rank "as the global top-three notebook vendor" in 2011, and it’s prepared to acquire its way to that position. A Commercial Times story that quotes Asus Chairman Jonney Shih reportedly says Toshiba’s notebook division "has been identified as one of the company’s possible targets." Shih added that Asus had already started talks with Toshiba, although those talks "are not yet finalized."

In the first quarter of this year, Toshiba claimed roughly 10% of global netbook shipments, compared to almost 6% for Asus. Put together, the two firms’ notebook divisions would represent about 15% of the market, eclipsing Dell but trailing HP and Acer.

• potatochobit

I own a fujitsu which is made from toshiba parts but I have a hard time believing Asus and Toshiba could eclipse Dell laptop sales.

Please in no way assume that 6% of sales this year means that Asus has any market share at all. I cannot even recalling seeing an Asus notebook except on newegg.

• Welch

I have a Toshiba laptop and love it… Strong performer when I got it for the cash, not a single piece of it has failed or given me issues either. I also like Asus’ new laptops, they seem very sturdy. I’d hate to think that Toshiba would necessarily be bought out and disband just to take a competitor off the market, but then again if we get the best of BOTH world from them, then im down, probably the two names in laptops that I do trust.

I doubt that HP or Dell would sell out their stuff as they are so huge in both desktop and laptop markets, they aren’t going away or being bought. Acer has only been in a bit of the desktop market recently and I’d doubt that they would quit so early into messing with both of those markets. Lenovo and Toshiba are the only two that would be a logical choice, Toshiba being the more “public” of the two and having plenty of other divisions to mess with (TVs and other devices)

I’m interested to see how this plays out as an owner of a Toshiba laptop.

• MadManOriginal

What’s more important I think is, if this happens, Asus leaves Toshiba latops alone for the most part as their own division to continue the quality (design and whatnot, not just manufacturing) or makes it in to a mere branding. Lenovo did rather well keeping things high quality in the ThinkPad line but they didn’t have a prior laptop business afaik.

• 5150

Toshiba has always seemed pretty “Meh” to me.

• UberGerbil

Back in the early-mid 90s they vied with ThinkPads for top choice in “business laptops.” And their Portage line was pretty much the defining sub-notebook for quite a while.

• FuturePastNow

Asus probably makes all of Toshiba’s notebooks already.

• Thresher

Great move for them, especially if they can retain the Toshiba naming rights for them.

• Tamale

This would be a good move for Asus. People (rightly or wrongly) seem to consider toshiba laptops as higher end than Asus, so if Asus could use the toshiba name, it’d help them a lot I think.

• dpaus

As much as I hate using the word “synergy”, I’m not seeing any of it here…

• UberGerbil

Marketshare can be its own reward. And Toshiba has existing F500 accounts that probably never have considered Asus in the past.