Latest NZXT case is big on cooling, cable management

Is that gigantic Corsair case we reviewed earlier this week a little too rich for your blood? If so, you may want to check out NZXT’s new king-sized Tempest EVO enclosure, which has some of the same features but a much more affordable $99.99 suggested retail price.

The Tempest EVO is large enough to accommodate Extended ATX motherboards, and its motherboard tray has holes both for cable management and to let users access processor heatsink back plates. NZXT hasn’t forgotten about cooling, either, bundling the case with four 120-mm fans (two at the front, one at the rear, and one on the side panel) as well as a pair of 140-mm fans, both of which sit under the top panel.

Otherwise, you’ll find eight hard drive emplacements, holes for liquid-cooling tubes, and room for a "dual 120mm radiator at the top panel." NZXT placed the power supply at the bottom, although nothing separates it from the motherboard area. Also, the power and reset buttons and the front I/O ports (including external Serial ATA) lie in a recessed area on the top panel for easier access.

Check out the image gallery below for images of the Tempest EVO. NZXT says the case is "available now," so it may not be long before we see it arrive at Newegg and other major e-tailers.

• holto243

I own the original tempest and, as far as I can see, what they’ve done is switch in new fans, update the motherboard tray marginally and powdercoat the internals. They’ve also changed the other side panel to make a bit more room behind for cables (which was cramped but not impossibly so) and (thankfully) changed the psu mounting because it wasn’t so great before.
    I’ve made all these changes myself with very little effort though but its nice they took onboard the criticisms of the original.
    I’d also like to point out that watercooling in this thing is difficult at best as you can only put in a 280 GTStealth up top due to the holes already cut for the exhaust fans and the distance to the MB. to make that worthwhile you also need very loud fans. With some further modding you could put in a 240 rad on the bottom or behind the bezel but its not really worth it.
    Its brilliant for relatively quiet and effective air cooling though
    AND it should be able to just fit the Radeon 5970

• green

another pass on this one from me

• Prestige Worldwide

I love my Antec Nine Hundred but would have definitely bought this instead had it been available last year. Looks like a good case with great airflow and lots of room for quality cable management. With features like that at the $99 price point, this looks to be a winner.

• SomeOtherGeek

Well, now this is something that I can look at and seriously consider.

• albundy

thats ALOT of money for a steel case. at this price point i wouldn’t consider anything less than lian li quality.

• SomeOtherGeek

I’m confused here. Lian Li doesn’t have anything this big for 100 bucks. Their cheapest (full tower) is 200 bucks.

• NeronetFi

l[

• Shinare

Now THAT’S what I’m talkin about! I’d even pay $50 more for a hotswap bay like the Corsair. Front audio and USB/Firewire cutouts in the motherboard tray for cable management near the bottom of the motherboard would have been nice as well but not absolutely needed.

• UberGerbil

On the topic of NZXT cases, what are folks’ opinions of the Panzerbox? I haven’t seen one in person.

• battleRabbit

I like the looks of the Panzerbox and it should have great cooling. But man can you imagine how much dust that thing would suck up? They definitely need to add a filter to the massive intake.

• UberGerbil

Four watercooling ports (plus a case ceiling amenable to radiator installation). Somebody who likes to play with coolant will like this.

what’s this? An NZXT case that doesn’t look like ass?