Upcoming microATX MSI H57 motherboard pictured

Intel will aim its upcoming dual-core, 32-nm Clarkdale processors at the mid-range and mainstream markets, but that doesn’t mean matching motherboards have to be dull and boring. We already caught a gander at an enthusiast-oriented H57 motherboard from Asus earlier his week, and now, the guys at TechSweden have nabbed some photos of a similarly tricked-out microATX board from MSI.

This latest specimen is an MSI H57M-PD65, if the label on the circuit board is any indication. It will have an LGA1156 socket, of course, alongside two physical PCI Express x16 slots, external Serial ATA, FireWire, and four display connections all hooked up to the CPU socket (VGA, DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort).

We can also see some aluminum heatsinks and a heatpipe around the power-regulation circuitry, so MSI might have left some headroom for overclocking. Early Clarkdale samples look to overclock quite admirably, too. In any case, the low power consumption of 32-nm Clarkdale processors should lend itself quite well to the microATX form factor.

• Welch

That is one sweet looking little board, I love how its right to the point with pretty much every connection i’d ever use and even the ones I wouldn’t (what the heck.. PS/2 still… I guess) The OC Genie light, Power button and BIOS reset button right there on the bottom are definitely nice little perks for the enthusiast.

• Bauxite

PS/2 (keyboard port at least) is one of the last legacy interfaces that gets killed, I doubt it truly goes away until the BIOS itself is completely gone as well…that still seems years off. (so much for EFI taking over, lol)

Most everything else of that nature has been removed (dongle-ized if needed, or pinouts perhaps) without big issues.

• SomeOtherGeek

Yea, this is one sweet board and I think it was fate that I held off get the i7 and i5/i7s…. My next baby?

I love the PS/2 thing! I just like my keyboard to come on at the same time the computer comes on. For some reason, the USB lags all the way to the logon screen and comes on after about 5 more seconds… Drove me nuts!

• MadManOriginal

Cyril – typo in the second sentence – ‘his week’ should probably be ‘this week.’ Unless you were going for some kind of Krogoth-Meadows bromance thing.

• MadManOriginal

All PCIe all the time. Yeah, suck it 1337-g4ymer, I said there was a reason not to get PCI sound cards.

• Thorburn

Rules it out for my media center as I have a PCI Freesat and Freeview combo tuner. Would have got it as a PCIe card but they simply weren’t available at the time.
    Shame.

• Kurotetsu

No PCI slots at all. Gutsy move.

• Flying Fox

Other than a sound card which should be available on PCIe already, what other PCI card would you want to put into a setup like this?

• Kurotetsu

Personally? None. But its assured that SOMEONE, or more, will bitch that their outdated hardware won’t be supported by this board.

• Pez

Tough. They’re holding back progress and need to be purged anyway.

• Bauxite

Its a uATX media computer aimed towards integrated video…no buyers actually targeted by this platform will care.

• UberGerbil

I think there are some TV Tuner cards that are PCI-only that people are still hanging onto (I haven’t been keeping track, but replacements in the PCIe form factor seem to be thin, particularly since the ATI cards are gone). There are also the systems that get loaded with additional PCI video cards to run a wall of monitors.

But the folks who use those things don’t have to buy this (though that won’t stop some of them from bitching anyway). But this is the way I expected the transition to happen — on the smaller mobo form factors first.

• Bauxite

People buying newer mobos like this will want the upcoming w7 cablecard tuners anyways, and there are already a fair number of good x1 models from major vendors.

Cheaper stuff is usb these days.

Also, you can convert laptop cards to x1 if you really want, and those are all pci-e or usb.

• UberGerbil

Can I introduce you to Thorburn (#6)?

• Bauxite

l[

• UberGerbil

Depends. Perhaps he wants to upgrade the CPU and motherboard but isn’t prepared to do the tuner side of things too. Not everybody is willing (or can afford to) throw out everything every year or two and start over. Anyway, like I said, I don’t keep close track but I’ve noticed anecdotally several people who have said that their tuner card is the last thing that ties them to PCI. And I know in at least a couple of cases CableCard is of absolutely no interest because they’re pulling in OTA TV only, no cable and no satellite. (I’m actually in that boat, and the one time I tried using a USB tuner on my computer it was such a piece of crap that I just tossed it into the junk closet and went back to watching TV the old fashioned way for the few hours a month I tune in).

• albundy

heh, my tuner card has been replaced by hulu and other sites that stream TV…without commercials.

• UberGerbil

Does Hulu stream college football games live? Because that was the last TV viewing I did.

• insulin_junkie72

Regarding TV tuners, micro-ATX boards have normally seemed to skimp on the x1 PCI-E slots in favor of PCI slots (zero, or one located under the x16 video card slot, are common scenarios – in the latter scenario, if you wanted to include a discrete card, say, for better deinterlacing capabilities – a double-wide card would eat up your one PCI-E slot), so that was always something that had to be taken into consideration if building a micro-ATX based HTPC with TV capture capability.

Sometimes you had to go PCI (for example, if you wanted multiple cards, only a handful of boards have 2 PCI-E; the Asus P5Q-EM would be one example).

• internetsandman

I dunno, it seems to me that some of the best sound cards are only PCI, at least from what I’ve seen at newegg. I may be wrong but HT Omega seems to be the top rated across the board and they don’t offer PCIe.

• UberGerbil

Well, that’s the root of the “holding back progress” argument that pez is making: if systems increasingly omit PCI slots, that’ll push such vendors into making the (already overdue) effort to make PCIe versions available.

• Pez

About time too

• FuturePastNow

The x4 slot will be perfect for adding a USB3.0 or SATA 6Gb card.

• SomeOtherGeek

Yea, good move. Now, all they have to focus on removing is the IDE slot. I thought the IDE would be more obsolete than the PCI slot.

Whatever.

• albundy

i know, right? not even ISA slots!