iSuppli: Acer bumps Dell out of second place in PC shipments

Only two years ago, Acer was buying out Gateway in a bid to become the world’s third-largest PC vendor. Well, Acer looks to have met and exceeded that goal. iSuppli has crunched the numbers on global PC shipments for the third quarter of this year, and it says Acer now lies in second place, having pushed Dell to the bottom of the podium—a first for an Asian PC vendor.

Acer reportedly commanded 13.4% of global shipments in Q3 2009, compared to 19.9% for HP, 12.9% for Dell, and 8.7% for Lenovo. According to iSuppli, the Taiwanese PC maker can thank its aggressive prices, good netbook shipments, and strong U.S. and European performance for the meteoric rise, which saw its shipments grow a whopping 16.6% compared to the same time period a year ago.

Only Lenovo saw higher year-over-year growth in worldwide PC shipments: 17.2%. Among U.S.-based vendors, HP finished the quarter with a more modest 7% increase, and Dell suffered a decline of almost 6%.

Despite Dell’s relatively poor performance, iSuppli says the PC market as a whole did better than expected in the third quarter. Overall unit shipments actually grew by 1.1% compared to the same time period last year, bringing an end to half a year of declines. Also, shipments grew by an impressive 19% between the second and third quarters—the biggest sequential growth the market research firm has seen since 2003, iSuppli notes.

Third-quarter numbers turned out so well that iSuppli has raised its forecast for the whole year. Rather than falling by 4% as it previously expected, 2009 shipments should now go down by only 0.9% compared to 2008.

• dogchainx

I just posted over at hardforum.com that has a long thread of Dell Hate.

DELL HAS BECOME JUST CHEAP CRAP. Even their “high-end” XPS line is crap.

• rythex

good, I loathe Dell now. dell = fail

Their sales department is full of 3rd world country fail and it’s impossible to get them to do anything or understand what you’re trying to request.

My brother wanted to order a desktop, he’s not the smartest guy but the sales rep “included” a LCD TV, a printer, 2 keyboards, 2 mice, a monitor.. etc all on different invoices.. He called the next day after he looked at the email and they said they couldn’t cancel the order.. nothing was shipped… wow.. efficient. Then when he sent the 4 packages back they claimed they hadn’t received the TV and it showed still in the shippers distribution center…… and they wanted him to pay for it even though they acknowledged he refused the shipment..

Dell also opened a call center here in our city a few years ago then promptly closed it down, it was pretty hilarious.

• Synchromesh

I had a few Dell laptops over the years. All were complete pieces of junk. D610s had 2-3 motherboards go in 1 year or so. C640 overheated horribly, was heavy and uncomfy. Etc. I won’t buy a Dell laptop anytime soon. I also won’t buy Toshiba, Sony or Acer as they’re all cheaply made crap.

Went to Thinkpads. Much better build quality. Much easier to take apart and fix if needed. Finally went with a Macbook but only because I felt like being fancy one day. To this day, if somebody asks me to help them buy a good used laptop, I recommend only Thinkpads.

• grantmeaname

Both of the people I know with HP laptops have had major problems with them. The last prebuilt PC my family got was an HP, around three years ago, and it was inconsistent but not exactly dysfunctional.

I just got a new Dell this summer, a Studio 15. It’s beautiful, indestructible, extremely well built, cheap, fast, and the battery life is great. To date, it’s given me two minor problems.

To quote the intelligent Mr. Bauxite, post 18, “The plural of anecdote is not data.”

• ludi

Yeah, but it came back flat.

• brucect

Yes they are . I don t care machines they break malfunction …etc
    when you buy something from them try to you rip you off from everything

• yokem55

It depends on whether you are buying from the consumer or “business” lines of hardware. The business lines (latitudes, etc.) tend to have much better build quality and customer service if something goes wrong. Granted you pay a higher price on the business side of things, but the overall experience is much better.

• bdwilcox

Good luck to her. The Dells from 2003 are a far cry from the Dells of today.

• thecoldanddarkone

While that’s true, it’s not like he should buy something else. I’m using an e6400 and it’s been good to me, the d630 that I was using was the same.

• UberGerbil

I have a friend who is just replacing her Dell 600M laptop from 2003. She’s a journalist based out of New York but specializing in Asia, so it’s been around the world dozens of times and through all kinds of abuse. The outside looks like a dog chewed on it in places. It has given her zero problems. She’s even still on her first hard drive. But it’s just a little too small and slow for her at this point (single core and 512MB just doesn’t cut it anymore for stuff like Skype), so she’s retiring it for a new machine.

She bought another Dell.

• Bauxite

The plural of anecdote is not data.

• AmishRakeFight

I’ve got 30 dells here at work that are pretty much flawless. desktops, laptops, you name it. I had 3 acer notebooks die within a week of each other just out of warranty last year.

I feel compelled to add that most of the Dells I buy are refurbs which means apparently I’ve been buying the ones that you guys are sending back. After I get them I wipe the drive and install my corporate OS and software and thus far have had no major problems with several systems in their 2-3 years of service. One DVD drive failed on a Vostro laptop, but that’s it.

I’ve gotten lazy and stopped building boxes, and being able to buy (in some cases) core 2 duo boxes with a legit OS for around 200 bucks and notebooks for around 350 has made my job a lot easier.

Oh, and of the 4 computers I have at home, 3 of them are Dell too (I did build my own HTPC) I currently have a vostro and inspiron desktop and a recently purchased studio 1555 laptop that I love.

My biggest beef with Dell is that they seem to dick around with pricing on the outlet site when they offer a coupon. The price always seems to go up like 20 percent when they are offering a 15% off coupon.

• Rakhmaninov3

Wish this actually applied to anything you could put in those blanks, but it doesn’t.

• Thresher

It’s not just QC, but the whole experience with Dell went down the crapper. Bad support (if you could get any), overpriced options (even worse than Apple sometimes), and poor fulfillment (getting equipment that had the wrong stuff in it) all drove me away from having anything to Dell.

I’ve been looking at laptops lately and Dell just isn’t even cost competitive. In the low to midrange end, you get much more for your money with HP, Toshiba, and Acer. Heck, Asus builds a better product for less money. In the low to mid range, Dell does not offer much choice with discrete graphics, everything is bog standard intel or AMD. Somehow, the other companies have been able to offer much more bang for the buck.

Granted, at the higher end, Dell machines are fairly cost competitive, but that’s not where the market is these days.

• alsoRun

My two Toshiba laptops were all brought under $400.

• 5150

When I worked in retail, they were one of the few places that offered English speaking / US based tech support at no extra charge. That was a few years ago, don’t know about now, but I sure appreciated it.

• bdwilcox

Let me correct that headline: b[

• SubSeven

You say Dell is overpriced yet you have two Toshibas. That doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

• indeego

We are a small company (so anecdotal and all) but we saw Dell’s service and support nosedive for server and desktops in 2001-2002. Went HP and haven’t had too many complaints since. My biggest beef with HP is their craptastic website that I constantly have issues with, and their general complete lack of ability for making decent softwareg{<.<}g I recently bought a Dell server on craigslist and it is decent hardware. I called support for a new RAID controller battery and got good service, so perhaps it was just back then they were having issues withg{<.<}g

• shaq_mobile

my company used to stick with IBM/Lenovo, but they just went back to dell because Lenovo kept sending us different sub models, so the guys who write our windows image had to fix it every two months. that and they would ship us computers in big bursts. we would order ten each week for four weeks then get forty one day. crazy.

• alsoRun

I have never bought a DELL using my own money. Acer and HP constantly offer great value for the money. Dell is always over-priced.

Currently, I have one acer, one compaq, two toshiba, one gateway computers in my hosehold.

• sonofsanta

I’ve only ever had problems with Dell equipment, from cheap components to limited upgrade paths to equipment all mysteriously dying after 2 years when the product is discontinued (good job we had three year service warranty…).

I guess everyone’s mileage varies, but my experience of Dell has strongly warned me off them.

• Corrado

Acer was complete crap until about 3 years ago when the new CEO took over. They’ve made HUGE strides in product lineup, quality, and retail availability. I’ve got an Acer Timeline thats been 100% fantastic, esp considering the price I paid for it. Kudos to them.

I love mad libs.

Coca Cola sucks. Everyone I know that has had one has had problems/breaks/malfunctions and an awful time getting them repaired. I wouldn’t buy one. I had a Diet Pepsi that I had to send back a few times, but the customer service was top-notch and I sent the soda out and got it back in less than a week.

• 5150

<insert vendor name here> sucks. Everyone I know that has had one has had problems/breaks/malfunctions and an awful time getting them repaired. I wouldn’t buy one. I had an <insert competitors name here> laptop that I had to send back a few times, but the customer service was top-notch and I sent the computer out and got it back in less than a week.

• blastdoor

Wow, Dell certainly has fallen far. And how long has Dell himself been back as CEO? He doesn’t appear to really be making much of a difference.

My company continues to buy Dell. I don’t really see them as any better or worse than any other generic commodity PC. It’s just a box that runs a microsoft operating system on an intel chip.

I wonder if what this really all boils down to is the loss of special treatment of Dell by Intel, or if Dell is really doing something fundamentally different now than they were 5 years ago?

• Rakhmaninov3

Dell sucks. Everyone I know that has had one has had problems/breaks/malfunctions and an awful time getting them repaired. I wouldn’t buy one. I had an HP laptop that I had to send back a few times, but the customer service was top-notch and I sent the computer out and got it back in less than a week.

• nagashi

Between lenovo, dell, HP and acer, I’ve had the BEST experience with Dell, and the worst in order with Acer, HP, and Lenovo. Though Dell’s product lineup is completely fragmented and their company strategy seems to be more like “throw crap at the wall and see what sticks”. Their Adamo XPS is too bizarre to be taken seriously, but their Latitude Z is horribly underadvertised, despite being IMO the most exciting/innovative product in their lineup.

Share this post with your friends!