Mobile GeForce, Ion users get new drivers

Hot on the heels of its latest desktop GeForce driver release, Nvidia has released a new batch of drivers aimed at its mobile GPUs. The new Notebook Release 195 (a.k.a. 195.62) drivers are available right now for Windows Vista and Windows 7 x86, Vista and Win7 x64, and Windows XP.

These drivers bring the following changes:

• Adds GPU-acceleration for smoother online HD videos with the new Adobe Flash 10.1 beta. Learn more here.
  • Adds support for DirectCompute with Windows 7.
  • Adds support for OpenGL 3.2.
  • Adds support for OpenCL 1.0 (Open Computing Language).
  • Adds support for CUDA Toolkit 3.0 features and performance enhancements. See CUDA Zone for more details.
  • Adds SLI and multi-GPU support for many top new gaming titles including Borderlands, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, FIFA Soccer 10, and more.
  • Includes numerous bug fixes including improved performance for Need for Speed: Shift. Refer to the release notes on the documentation tab for information about the key bug fixes in this release.
  • Installs NVIDIA PhysX System Software v9.09.0814.
  • You can install the drivers on a broad range of integrated and discrete Nvidia GPUs in the Quadro and GeForce 8M, 9M, 100M, and 200M lineups, although Nvidia mentions "some exceptions." You’ll want to check the "products supported" tab on the driver page to make sure you don’t download that 116-144MB driver installer for nothing. Also, Nvidia urges folks with Dell Inspiron 1420, XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and Latitude D630 or D630c laptops to install a Dell SBIOS update before installing the 195.62 release.

By the way, this almost marks the one-year anniversary of Nvidia’s first direct mobile GPU driver release. The initial set of mobile drivers only worked with some notebooks, but support looks to have improved quite a bit since then. Nvidia still isn’t releasing laptop drivers at quite the same frequency as desktop updates, though—the last notebook release came out in late August. (Thanks to TR reader SH SOTN for the heads up.)

• ssway

What I want to know is when ION2 is going to appear. Nvidia has been saying by end of the year all this time…arg!

Desktop systems get a full nVidia driver install as an optional update. Too bad they dont’ do the same for laptops. My wife’s Asus laptop with Radeon graphics got an optional Catalyst install with full support, why wouldn’t nVidia?

I am so sorry for you. On that Mac Mini I referenced, it ran at around 20fps on low settings at 1280×800. I can’t imagine the slideshow on a Geforce 6600.

Not really relevant; it was a multi-boot computer, booted natively into Windows.

• SomeOtherGeek

Very true, it has greatly improved there. No complains. The nVidia drivers are something else all togther.

• 5150

The 9400M and 210M in my SXPS 13 runs pretty damn good.

• jstern

Not unless you install it through boot camp, which is not a virtual machine but a direct install of the OS that runs on the Mac, since it’s essentially a PC. If you use a virtual machine you wouldn’t be able to play many games.

• yuhong

Don’t forget also to get the Flash 10.1 beta

• BlackStar

No fucking clue, but my 80GB X25-M sure didn’t like their size.

Don’t forget to delete the C:\Nvidia folder after the installation (idiotic Ati and Nvidia installers littering the root directory with garbage – hey guys, haven’t you heard of %TEMP%?)

• OneArmedScissor

I used to play SupCom on a 6600GT *shrug*

• doden

Does running a virtual version of Windows through a Mac have any performance hits on games (ones not made for Macs)?

• Meadows

Details at eleven.

Having used a 2009 Mac Mini in Windows to play Supreme Commander, I know for sure that you cannot, in fact, game just fine on the Ion platform.

• ImSpartacus

That’s a decent price.

Good to hear you took the time to put better paste on it.

• 5150

First impressions, it runs hot, but some AS-5 on the CPU and 210M made a huge difference (19 C cooler in some cases). I tried running it with an Intel 5100 card but it would lock up. Apparently there is a known case with the NVIDIA chipset and the Intel Wifi so I put the Dell Wifi card back in. Other than that, I am extremely impressed with it. I got it for $929 on Dell Outlet.

• ImSpartacus

How much did this guy pay for that thing?

Was he looking for integrated graphics on it?

Otherwise, I’d say a MBP13 would’ve been a better choice. If you can find a college student, you can also get 100 bucks off. Good deal if you ask me.

• ImSpartacus

Yeah, SLI just isn’t worth it on laptops.

I can game fine on my 9400M. That’s what’s in ION systems.

• Skrying

The actual code has little to do with the massive size of most games. Instead it is the unique art assets that have increased tremendously in resolution and quality over the years.

• JustAnEngineer

So far, just fine.

• blubje

the drivers are very large because Microsoft Windows lacks a good packaging system. Installing libraries is not user-friendly (i.e. occurring automatically) in that operating system, so vendors tend to create excessively large packages.

On the other hand, it’s better nVidia package it than every game that uses PhysX package some hundred megabytes (unless you don’t play games at all).

• Byte Storm

You buy an SLI laptop

• potatochobit

how do I SLI my laptop?

• UberGerbil

Interesting — that’s what my friend just bought (it arrives next week). Do you have any first impressions, setup gotchas, or anything else useful that I should pass along? (Feel free to put it in a PM if you’d prefer)

I suppose these will end up on Dell’s driver page eventually — I wonder how long it takes? I note there’s an Intel Wifi driver on there dated 12/1 but the actual driver files were released a month earlier, so maybe a month is about the latency.

• UberGerbil

Ok, that’s what I wanted to know. Thanks!

• SomeOtherGeek

For same damn stupid reason games are so big too – bloatware and bad code. They must have a separate program for each and every video card otherwise, I don’t know why it is so huge.

• squeezee

They wouldn’t fit on the HDD of my 1st computer either, but i’m also using a machine with 2000x more ram (and 25,000x more disk space) than that computer.

• Joel H.

The 195.62 driver I had hanging around on my HDD was 116MB uncompressed. Of that, the PhysX module was about 40MB, followed by lots of 5MB files.

• bdwilcox

150 MB? What, do the drivers come with a free game or something?

• 5150

Woohoo! New drivers for my new-as-of-yesterday Studio XPS 13!

• ImSpartacus

I just updated my MBP13’s 9400M. Working ok so far. I’ll go see if Youtube works better in a minute.

• ImSpartacus

I didn’t know that. Thanks!

• ew

Those drivers wouldn’t fit on the hard drive of my first computer. Why on earth are they so big?

• JustAnEngineer

We’ll see how these do on my GeForce 9800M GS.

• BlackStar

No, Win7 doesn’t install those drivers automatically. They install an older, cut-down version instead (no OpenGL support, no PhysX, no CUDA or anything else, really). Enough for Aero, but little more.

• UberGerbil

Yeah, that’s part of the reason why I’m wondering. Win7 seems to do a much better job of tracking down hardware drivers automatically, but this is kind of an extreme case. And I’m wondering because I have a friend who will be getting a Dell laptop with a 9400M delivered in the next few days, so I know this is going to be a question.

Also — 150MB is just kind of ridiculous.

• ImSpartacus

I’m not sure.

The file is almost 150MB. And display drivers aren’t two minute installs.

• UberGerbil

I have a question for the folks who have a notebook with nVidia graphics running Windows 7 — does the automatic update in Win7 find these and install them automatically, or do you have to explicitly go get them from nVidia?

Share this post with your friends!