Analyst report pins Apple tablet launch in March or April

Hey, did you hear Apple might have a tablet PC in the works? Crazy, right? Yes, we’ve been facing a veritable deluge of rumors about the device over the past few months, and there’s no drought in sight. The latest cloudburst comes to us courtesy of AppleInsider, which got some new information from Oppenheimer analyst Yair Reiner.

Reiner wrote in a research note this morning, "Our checks into Apple’s supply chain indicate the manufacturing cogs for the tablet are creaking into action and should begin to hit a mass market stride in February. . . . At this stage Apple appears to be sizing its supply chain to support production of as many as 1M units per month."

Reiner believes Apple will need five or six weeks of inventory to accumulate before launch, so as AppleInsider points out, that would place the launch in the March-April time frame. Shipments could total 1-1.5 million a quarter at $1,000 a pop.

Hardware-wise, the analyst expects a 10.1" display based on the same LTPS technology as the iPhone’s multi-touch screen. Interestingly, the research note explicitly shoots down a previous round of rumors from the Far East, which suggested that Apple would introduce an OLED version of the tablet and delay the LCD model until the second half of next year.

Otherwise, AppleInsider says Apple is busy working out content distribution deals with book publishers. The Mac maker is purportedly offering to take a 30% cut of revenue and proposing generally more favorable terms than Amazon does with the Kindle. That particular nugget corroborates previous information we gleaned from an Australian paper.

• A_Pickle

Actually, believe it or not, touchscreens and keyboards /[

• d0g_p00p

I was listening to a diggnation podcast a few weeks ago and one of the guests (John Hodgman, the “PC” guy) said that the only thing he could say about the iTablet or whatever it’s called is that he was surprised at the price point for the basic model, as in cheap for a Apple product. I am guessing $599 or $699. We will see

• blastdoor

$1000 a piece seems too much. The 32 GB Touch is $300. This tablet will have a larger screen, a faster processor, and a bigger battery (but could easily have similar storage). I don’t see how those things add up to another $700. A doubling of price to $600, perhaps. But more than tripling the price? I don’t get that.

• Peffse

It’s Apple. People will bite at any price.

• indeego

If the Kindle came with 100 books preloaded on it at the current cost, I might consider it.

Right now I see it as dramatically overpriced and I await the competition’s onslaughtg{<.<}g

• StashTheVampede

There are some uni-taskers that deserve to do one thing REALLY well. I’ve used the Kindle (briefly, ~5 mins), but it didn’t impress me enough for its cost and limited functionality. The owner of that toy was happy with it, readily read from it during late night hours and was generally happy with his unit.

My immediate impression: wow, I can’t wait for Apple to have something similar in screen, in color and access to all the same apps that the iPhone has.

The iTablet will have more functionality immediately OOTB and will easily have access to more content than the current Kindle ever will. Once the publishers line up (for the allegedly good profit sharing setup), the Kindle will see plenty of drop off (never really has taken off, as Amazon had hoped).

they won’t be netbooks if they lose the keyboard, they’ll be tablets. An Atom-based tablet would be nice though.

• albundy

somehow, i have a feeling that once netbooks lose the keyboard, apple will have some nice competition.

• chasscF1

Except it does that one thing really well. Will the tablet have as good of battery life? Will you be able to read on it for hours without making your eyes tired? I would have to doubt it.

• StashTheVampede

Amazon’s Kindle is a … one trick pony.

<AB>Death to unitaskers!</AB>

Until Amazon’s next “device” shows videos, has apps, is in color, it simply will get crushed by the iTablet.

• indeego

Windows Mobile weeps silentlyg{<.<}g

• Hattig

$1000 each for a device type that people aren’t enamoured with so far is asking a lot. Sure, it’s Apple, and I’m sure that it will have some really nice features and usability, but $1000!

Now I could see for $600 that people would bite. Maybe even $700. But there is a disparity between making a couple of million of these for launch, and launching at a price that people won’t bite on, not for an auxiliary device, with all costs up front.

• Decelerate

Amazon’s enough of a big boy to retaliate rapidly.

Overall it will be interesting to see, and I’m down for a 10″ device, as long as prices are reasonable, even by RDF standards 😀

• StashTheVampede

1k/each is a bit much. But I fully expect it to be all sold out at that price.

With integrated Bluetooth and IR, it could easily replace my home theater remote (Logitech *should* be looking at it seriously).

• dpaus

First post! (which at least as newsworthy as this rumour…)

Share this post with your friends!