Stylish Aurora keyboard goes wireless, adds trackball

We were quite fond of Enermax’s Aurora Premium keyboard and the tactile feedback of its scissor-switch key mechanisms, so this announcement caught our eye. Enermax has introduced the Aurora Micro Wireless, a new brushed aluminum keyboard that trades the Premium model’s cord and numeric keypad for a laser trackball and Windows Media Center-friendly controls.

The Aurora Micro Wireless’ trackball actually has three tracking resolutions—400, 800, and 120 dpi—which users can set on the fly using function keys. The trackball sits at the top right of the keyboard, working in tandem with a pair of buttons and an angled scroll wheel at the top left. In between, folks will find seven hot keys including volume up, volume down, mute, and play/pause.

This puppy uses 2.4GHz RF wireless with a USB adapter, which gives it a range of 30 feet or so, and it takes a pair of good old AA batteries. Enermax says the device has “two stair grasp bars on the bottom” to make it easy to use from a couch. The press release also mentions a “massive 2.5mm thick aluminum plate,” which probably has something to do with the keyboard’s weight of 1.77 lbs (that’s without the batteries, by the way).

Look for the Aurora Micro Wireless in stores next month with an $85 price tag. That ain’t cheap for a keyboard, but then again, the embedded trackball and scroll wheel are probably worth a premium. Besides, Enermax claims the keyboard works with Sony’s PlayStation 3—the product page even includes a promotional video showing that feature in action.

• darc

Love the scrollbar on the left. The only other kb I’ve seen with one is an old Memorex I can’t replace. (Typing on it now – it’s also got dedicated cut/copy paste buttons on left, which is great.) Sadly, I don’t think I could get along with that massive Enter button and the changes to allow it.

• just brew it!

I certainly would not want to use this as my “normal” keyboard, but it looks like a pretty reasonable option for a HTPC. The layout is no more messed up than most laptops.

• Flying Fox

Exactly, kind of what I said too.

• rUmX

Can the Enter key get a any bigger?

• sigher

Don’t like black keyboards.

• pakotlar

best reply in this thread

• not@home

I know a lot of this is personal preference, but I was really excited until I looked at it. As others have mentioned the whole right side is screwed up. Give me a full keyboard with 10 key and all the keys all in their proper places and I would buy. I used to have a wireless KB with a similar trackball and mouse keys back in 2001 and I loved it. Great for a HTPC, which, at the time, was my only PC. It sucked batteries like mad and only lived to be 3 weeks out of its 1 year warranty. It sure was convenient though.

• Flying Fox

I seriously doubt you will be doing heavy CLI/coding to need the backslash in a HTPC setting?

I’m more concerned with the price and how the PS3 thing works. Also 2.4GHz RF may interfere with my WiFi too?

• tu2thepoo

I’ve had terrible luck with keyboards that use USB dongles and non-bluetooth 2.4ghz RF. From the logitech S10 to some keyboard+trackpad that I got off newegg, I’d be lucky if I get 5ft of range without some key stickingggggggggg or nt registering.

My logitech mediaboard for PS3 (bluetooth), on the other hand, can control my laptop in the dining room from my bedroom upstairs (if it had the windows start/right-click keys instead of a PS3 keyboard layout it’d be perfect). Same goes for my friend’s bluetooth mouse.

Go figure.

• Obsidian

I don’t think the Enter key is large enough.

• Jambe

As has already been observed: backslash key not in proper position; *[

• My Johnson

I’m always missing enter and hitting back slash, so I sort of like the layout.

• ew

Oh! This is so much better then the Belkin POS I have now. I see a potential birthday gift in the making. 🙂

• Spurenleser

I bought the original Enermax Aurora about 6 months ago. By now the left [CTRL]-key looks like I’ve used a steel brush to clean it and the space bar is also moving towards looking like that. On top of that last week I accidentally removed the numpad [-] while wiping the dirt off the keyboard with a gentle touch of my fingers … emphasis on gentle. Oh and the [C]-Key also looks crappy by now (guess I copy a lot).

If this new Aurora has the same built quality I can only advise against buying it.

i friggin hate hate hate large Enter keys that move the backspace.

• just brew it!

I agree. However, in this case they apparently did *not* move the Backspace. They rearranged a bunch of other stuff instead.

• MadManOriginal

I think you need to recheck the location of your backspace key. Either that or you’re already using a keyboard with a bloody ‘ell guv’na wanker layout.

• Skrying

I don’t see the backspace change either. I see a forward slash in a really bad position, but not the backspace change.

• MadManOriginal
            • Skrying

I have the very same image open right now and again I do not see the backspace key change. They’re both in the top right hand of the keyboard. The huge enter key has though moved the forward slash key down into the arrows, which is a major issue.

I don’t even see any other location changes besides that. The rest are size ones.

• MadManOriginal

Ah nevermind, I was going by the fact that the backspace isn’t at the topright of the ‘main block’ of keys. That has to do with the compaction of the F keys to the top of the main block. Perhaps semantics about it being different then, backspace being the key right above enter, albeit a deformed enter, seems different.

• just brew it!

I don’t care whether there’s something else above it, that’s irrelevant. What matters is that it is large, and in the same location relative to the main keyboard array.

Some keyboards with the extra-large Enter key shrink the Backspace key to the size of a normal key, so that they can move the Backslash key to the top row. I absolutely despise that — I keep hitting Backslash instead of Backspace!

• just brew it!

I don’t see moving the Backslash down as that huge of a deal. Annoying? Yeah, a little. Deal breaker? No. Especially for something which is clearly targeted at HTPCs.

It would’ve been more of an issue back in the MS-DOS days, when we had to use that key a lot to navigate the directory hierarchy.

• Skrying

It’s a big deal when there is exactly zero reason to do it. Those massive Enter keys are really pointless. Who hits the top portion of such a key… ever? They could have kept the standard layout and shrunk the bottom left portion of the keyboard to mash in the arrow keys. Standard layout with the only issue being the small keys (which will always exist in such a keyboard, so not a big deal).

I just find it highly frustrating when such obviously bad decisions are made.

• Flying Fox

Forward slash = /
            Backslash = \

The forward slash key is in its proper spot beside the “> and .” key? I suppose you meant the backslash key?

• Skrying

Obviously…

• just brew it!

The backspace key is over-sized, and located to the right of the +/= key. That’s where it is on my Model M clone (and nearly every other keyboard I’ve used for the past 20 years), and where it is on this keyboard.

Maybe you need to recheck your eyes?

• MadManOriginal

Give it a numpad, a traditional ins-del-pg key block, and a non-retarded enter key and it might be interesting to me.

• OneArmedScissor

Sup dawg I heard you like consolidatin so we put a trackball in your keyboard so you can laptop while you desktop!

Gosh doggit Madman, what have you done to me?!?

• MadManOriginal

You’re doing it wrong. First off it’s YO DAWG secondly it needs to be in all caps. Thirdly, and this is just personal, shorter words are better so ‘consolidation’ would be better left out. Something like this:

YO DAWG WE HEARD YOU LIKE TRACKBALLS SO WE PUT A TRACKBALL IN YOUR KEYBOARD SO YOU CAN MOUSE WHILE YOU TYPE.

• OneArmedScissor

I thought on it for about 5 seconds instead of 2, so I’m definitely YOU’RE DOING IT WRONG. Please forgive me. But thanks to you, I now think of one of those in probably every other article I read here, and I have to post it or it will torment me until I do.

People yell at me while I yell for using caps. Only you are allowed to do that. 🙁

Also, I’ve seen “sup” before and I thought that was how it originated?

holy mother of enter keys.

• 5150

Yo enta key so fat, when it lays ’round the house, it really LAYS ‘ROUND THE HOUSE!

• indeego

YO ENTER KEY SO FA

Tg{<.<}g

• Hattig

Alas, poor backslash, how we mourn thy passing.

Oh, there it is, to the right of the tiniest right shift key ever. The enter key is British, but the backslash key is on the wrong side of the keyboard.

Cursor keys fail (intercepting shift key). Bluetooth not present fail (screw USB dongles, especially at that price).

• grantmeaname

400, 800, and 120 dpi

1200?

• designerfx

it’s not just a bug, it’s a feature?