Gigabyte displays a handful of Clarkdale mobos

The closer Intel’s 32-nm Clarkdale processors draw on the horizon, the more images and specifications of matching motherboards are finding their way onto the web. This time, Gigabyte has posted shots of four upcoming H55 and H57 motherboards on its Facebook page.

The photos, which you’ll also find in our image gallery below, depict three microATX boards—the GA-H55M-S2H, GA-H55M-UD2H, and GA-H57M-USB3—as well as one full-sized model, the GA-H55-UD3H. All four mobos have DVI and HDMI outputs presumably driven by the graphics core on the Clarkdale processor package, and a couple of them (the UD2H and USB3) also chuck in a DisplayPort output for good measure.

Otherwise, Gigabyte has outfitted all four motherboards with LGA1156 processor sockets, a pair of physical PCI Express x16 slots sitting on either side of the 32-bit PCI slots, and varying numbers of Serial ATA and DIMM slots. The GA-H57M-USB3 breaks the mold somewhat by including two USB 3.0 ports and what looks like a pair of 6Gbps Serial ATA ports, too. The H57M-UD2H looks to have roughly the same features and layout, minus the next-gen I/O.

Both the GA-H57M-USB3 and GA-H57M-UD2H feature FireWire, external Serial ATA, DisplayPort, and a full assortment of four DIMM slots, one IDE connector, and one floppy connector, for folks who absolutely must cling on to their old 3.5" floppy drives.

In recent weeks, we also caught a gander at Clarkdale motherboards from ASRock, Asus, and MSI. (Thanks to SemiAccurate for the link.)

• September

Why can’t they stick with 2 PS/2 ports? If you need one you probably need two – like for every KVM we have laying around. Plus PS/2 KVM’s just seem easier to work with. There are plenty of USB ports on the back, just include another USB 2 or 4 port connector for a slot. Everyone else has all the ports they need brought to the front of the computer anyway! Where’s the PCIe 1x?

• UberGerbil

You realize that you can use any PCIe xWhatever slot as an x1 slot, right?

(I agree on the PS/2 ports — especially since they aren’t cramped for back panel space — but I know the majority around here is of the “get rid of every ‘legacy port’ immediately!” opinion.)

• sigher

I disagree, there are many keyboards around for PS/2, and PS/2 is fine for keyboards, but most everybody uses USB mice, so really a modern mobo can do with a single dual-use one and your ‘logic’ that if you have one PS/2 device you automatically have 2 is nonsense.

• sledgehammer

i cant believe how crappy this motherboards are

i mean, come on give me a breake 4 pci slots?

are you kidding me?

and what is that thing replacing the northbridge?

is the battery?, really?, you are geniuses.

this is beyond pathetic intel i am speechless.

what’s wrong with intel?

• crazybus

hello snakeoil

• Meadows

There is no northbridge. Or spoon.

• OneArmedScissor

r[

• sigher

lol

• thermistor

#16…minesweeper, bejeweled, anything on nickjr.com need I go on?

• internetsandman

l[

• SomeOtherGeek

Ok, where do I start? Forget it, I’m not wasting my breath. It would be nice to see how the CPU/GPU thingy would work first… The amount of PCI cards makes me a little bit nervous. Is this clarksdale a step back (or five) from GMA?

• UberGerbil

It’s GMA in the socket instead of on the motherboard. A little lower-latency for CPU-GPU interaction, and possibly a little higher clocked (if thermals allow). But otherwise there’s nothing new here — the IGP just happens to live side by side with the CPU die in the CPU socket instead of under a separate heatsink on the mobo.

Just like GMA, it’ll be fine for all the systems out there that do office apps and web browsing and lightweight games. It won’t be fine for the TR folks who insist on being able to run the latest games at the highest resolution on every possible piece of hardware, which just means it’ll be fine for the vast majority of people. And it you find yourself with one and still want to play demanding games, you can add a discrete GPU if you want.

Really, this is just a “mainstream” board that will be interesting for office machines rather than enthusiasts. Things get a little more interesting when it goes mobile, but that’s a whole separate topic.

• Kurotetsu

l[

• UberGerbil

Flash runs fine on the machines I’ve used with Intel IGP, as long as the CPU was not an Atom. It chews up a lot of CPU, but it runs.

And you’re saying solitaire won’t run on IGP? Or Bedazzled? Or, for that matter, The Sims?

• SomeOtherGeek

Thanks for the info! I’m really, really hope it will kick current Intel’s IGP butt. Time for a little be more oomph. AMD can do it. If this thing is going to be so backward, I’m going the AMD way for a board and integrated GPU, they just kick. The only thing that is holding me back, is that all my computer crap is Intel. Maybe it is time to branch off a little. I don’t know. My wife is pretty heavy on the flash side of video conferencing, so video has to be good.

But then like you said, if the integrated graphics snails, I can always add discrete. It is just a waste of money and power.

Anyway, keep on postin’, you are one of the few outside of the TR staff I look up to for good solid info.

• SomeOtherGeek

A major f**k up! The reply button is my enemy!

• OneArmedScissor

Floppy drives on recent motherboards are the satan. The other day, I reset the BIOS to default on a computer with a floppy drive, which moved it to the 1st boot device. Not realizing there was actually a disk in the drive, the computer then failed to boot and kept spamming an “invalid drive, please reinstall” error, or something along those lines.

The drive hadn’t been used in years and it took me entirely too long to figure out what was going on.

• wira020

I couldnt even remember the last time i use it… or see it.. or how to use it… but i do remember the painful feeling of the 1.44mb limitation… used to carry a box of em around..

• Bauxite

“F6 for drivers” disks were a staple for a long long time after they died out being used for anything else, as well as reliably flashing your bios until they started putting in utilities to do that.

Also lasted longer until those utilities actually started working properly, they still are annoying with filesystem requirements (fat32 or sometimes older, single partition, etc) and/or hardware incompatibilities with large usb keys.

Don’t get me started on the dangers of letting a flash tool work inside the regular OS, regardless of user mode or other so called security used…too many boards don’t have a write blocking jumper of some sort to protect things. I wtf’d myself bigtime last week being able to flash a laptop from windows 7 without any kind of prompt or intervention, although I was also surprised in that it was specifically coded for x64 as well. Turned that crap off quick, the default setting (in the bios of course) was “allow”.

Many addon cards/firmware can only be flashed from dos/custom bootloader, although they have started providing predone cds (iso download for intel ssds for example) which saves a lot of work.

Here ends the long diversion rant started by bringing up floppies.

Other things that set me off ranting is clueless people trying to pick on PS/2 ports. Hint: if your computer has “a bios” and not something that has a terrible adoption rate (like EFI) then that port isn’t causing any problems or getting in anyones way but it provides endless utility with enterprise kvms and high end keyboards that don’t suck. Its also nice to have a user interrupt that actually works 😉

• yuhong

q[<"F6 for drivers" disks were a staple for a long long time after they died out being used for anything else<]q Because XP/Server 2003 (which dates from 2001 and 2003 retrospectively) lasted for so long, another mess altogether.

• SomeOtherGeek

I’m sorry, man, but that brought a tear to my eye! ROFL

• OneArmedScissor

No apology necessary. I’m glad someone got something out of me throwing the time I spent on that out the window haha.

• sativa

While testing some unattended installation setups for Windows 7, I totally forgot about the need to disable the floppy drive in the BIOS. This caused the dreaded ~10 minute wait before you can actually install the OS.

Took me a while to remember what the heck was going on.

• spiritwalker2222

I was starting to think Gigabyte went under. There website has been down for a while. Or at least the sites google links to.

§[<http://www.giga-byte.com/<]§ works for me.

• spiritwalker2222

That’s odd, as I just tried it again and got a “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage” message.

• sigher

All the times I tried their sites it was up, I goto the taiwanese one though.

• MadManOriginal

Oh God, product release and press release info on social networking sites? -.-

• OneArmedScissor

And I accidentally clicked on it without noticing the “on its Facebook page” that wasn’t part of the link text. Now they have one more hit to encourage this behavior. 🙁

• wira020

Well, the first official release date for sapphire’s 5970 was on sapphire’s facebook ( that i could found btw)… the first assumed fermi shot was from nvidia’s tweeter page.. its free and popular… why not?

• MadManOriginal

Because I’m not some web 2.0 ‘social networking’ tard who depends upon Facecrap, LookatMeSpace, and Twatter for my social interactions.

Follow the money. Your faux shock and horror are kind of cute.

• MadManOriginal

Follow what money where?

• OneArmedScissor

Down the toilet, of course!