New Cooler Master mid-tower features red LEDs, cheap PSU

Cooler Master has added a new enclosure to its lineup: the USP 100, an "enthusiast ready mid-tower chassis" with a $99 suggested retail price, a relatively roomy interior, and a lackluster-looking bundled power supply.

The USP 100 has a nice collection of enthusiast-friendly perks, like a hole in the motherboard tray to access the back of the CPU socket, a half inch of clearance for cable management between the motherboard tray and side panel, a bottom-mounted PSU, and six side-mounted 3.5" hard drive bays with a "tool-free" design. (The four, conventional 5.25" bays are also tool-free, according to the press release.)

Cooler Master hasn’t splurged on the power and cooling aspects, though. The USP 100 comes with only a single front-mounted 120-mm fan, which has a red LED and a 19 dB noise rating. Users will have to populate the bottom, rear, and side fan mounts on their own. Also, the bundled 550W Extreme Power Plus PSU has a 70% efficiency rating, a two-year warranty, and as far as we can tell, only 384W of 12V juice split between two rails. There are two 6+2-pin PCI Express power connectors, though, so adventurous souls should be able to accommodate high-end graphics cards—just nothing too high-end, since the firm estimates 11" of clearance for expansion cards.

Cooler Master says the USP 100 will be available in North America next quarter. You can see some photos in the image gallery below.

• green

pass. it looks simpler / cleaner than other cases of late.
    but the red mesh, top I/O panel, and holes in the side panel would annoy me

• Krogoth

Red is the new Blue!

• Vasilyfav

I just want the annoying trend of having the PSU on the bottom to stop. Realling hoping it’s a fad and not a permanent thing.

• Kulith

wat?

Psu’s BELONG on the bottom, I won’t even consider a case that mounts the psu on top.

• rUmX

Considering how much PSU’s weigh, I’m glad most manufacturers are mounting it on the bottom.

• Vasilyfav

Uuuh, how much do they weigh? 2 pounds at the most. Some cpu coolers weigh almost that much with the fan and they are mounted to a tiny piece of the motherboard.
          It’s convenient that PSU’s are at the top. For me anyway.

• rUmX

Well my Corsair HX1000 weighs more than my laptop 😮

• Corrado

And thats at the top of the tower too. So say 4lb PS, and a 2lb cooler, along with an optical drive, and thats a top heavy tower! I’d rather have the PS on the bottom too.

• kiwik

Fugly case is fugly

• jjj

Without that PSU it would be a better choice than the Antec 300 but they should include a rear fan.

• albundy

funny u should mention that. if they put a top mount fan, is there really a point to the rear fan? i moved the 120mm rear on my 300 to the front drive bay as there was no reason to keep in in the rear. this also allowed me to put the case as close to the wall as possible.

• ChangWang

Looks like a modified CM690 with a new face

• jjj

CM690 II is about to arrive also

• Skrying

Not a fan of that front. Reminds me of a bus.

• BiffStroganoffsky

Eh, are my old eyes playing tricks on me or did one pic (#2) show only two USB and two audio on top of the front panel and three views later, it has sprouted an e-SATA connector and another round plug?

• OneArmedScissor

I think the problem is more that they go to the length of calling it a “550W Extreme Power Plus,” as if this is 5 years ago.

• rUmX

No, the 70% efficiency is the problem here. These days people are being “greener”, and buying “green” hard drives to shave a few watts for example. So shouldn’t you do the same for a power supply?

With a system consuming 300watts DC,
      with a 70% efficient PSU, would be pulling 390watts at the wall…
      with a 80% efficient PSU, would be pulling 360watts at the wall…

EDIT: Fixed typo.

• BoBzeBuilder

Meh, that PSU is good enough for 90% of systems.

• NeXus 6

I’d still replace it with something more reliable and with a longer warranty, like Corsair.

• OneArmedScissor

Exactly. Good enough…until it explodes. I’ve had two bundled PSUs blow.

Besides, 70% efficiency is pretty ridiculous in this day and age. No telling how horrible it is at idle levels.

A decent PSU could pay for itself in the life of the computer, whereas the included one probably won’t have much of a life to begin with.

• NeXus 6

Same here and both were Antec PSUs bundled with their cases. I’ve simply avoided using cases with PSUs or replace them if they are included.

• MadManOriginal

Really? Which Antec PSUs? I know a few years ago they had some dodgy ones – I think it was the Truepowers – but the newer Earthwatts that come with many of their cases are decent enough afaik.

• NeXus 6

Truepower and Smartpower. These were hit or miss PSUs because one is still working in a PC I built back in 2002.

• eric93se

Not 80+?, C’mon Coolermaster get it together!