Zotac whips up two Pine Trail motherboards

Having built up a reputation for Mini-ITX Atom motherboards, Zotac wasn’t about to shy away from Intel’s new Pine Trail platform. And it hasn’t. The firm has announced two motherboards equipped with the dual-core, 1.66GHz Atom D510 processor: the NM10-ITX WiFi, a conventional Mini-ITX offering, and the NM10-DTX WiFi, a slightly larger board based on the lesser-known DTX form factor.

Both boards accompany the D510 with an Intel NM10 Express I/O hub, a pair of DDR2 DIMM slots, one PCI Express x1 slot, 802.11n Wi-Fi, Gigabit Ethernet, six USB ports, and an HDMI output. Thanks to its larger footprint, the DTX model offers an additional PCIe slot (with a x16 physical layout but just one lane) and seven Serial ATA ports (including one eSATA). The ITX model gets by with only two SATA ports and a spare Mini PCIe slot.

Also, both offerings feature one big passive heatsink, so they won’t deafen you with the shriek of an undersized fan.

Zotac brags about the mobos’ HDMI outputs in particular, claiming they’re the first to use an LVDS-to-HDMI signal converter made by ITE. The signal converter enables HDCP-compliant HDMI output at resolutions of up to 1366×768 on monitors and HDTVs. Zotac hasn’t included an auxiliary HD video decoding chip, however, and as we saw in our review, Pine Trail’s video playback performance is pretty hit-and-miss.

• clone

Zotac needs to “whip up” a new company name for itself.

• UberGerbil

I don’t know, the 1950s alien invader vibe is kind of cool.
      Heck, once the zombie fad has run its course, it may even be /[

• Imperor

I have an old Intel G35 which is running two screens at 1280×1024 + 1920×1200. And that’s a crappy GPU! How bad is this when you can’t even hook up one single standard screen??? I’m not talking HTPC or nothing but just an ordinary freakin’ screen!
    That’s netbook resolution! Sure, as stated, for a small home server it could do nicely, but that’s ALL it can do and then there are lots of options…

• Thresher

I want to see more Atom based server boards. The only ones I know of are made by SuperMicro. I would love to build a small server, capable of RAID 0,1, 0+1, 5, JBOD across at least 4 drives. DTX would be the perfect size for that.

§[<http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/atom.cfm<]§

• tfp

Those boards look pretty sweet. That is similar to what I would like to do as well. I wonder what they will cost.

It would be great if TR could get one of those boards to review.

• esterhasz

An undervolted and clock-limited X2 (around 1.2ghz@0.8V is doable) can go passive with something like the Scythe Ninja and with a PicoPSU the system (with nv6150 or 780g) should stay below 30W at idle while playing most media formats. For file and small web servers the 510 is pretty sweet though…

• OneArmedScissor

It’s curious that AMD don’t actually sell anything that works like that out of the box.

But what’s more curious is that there are still no mini-ITX 785Gs. Way to let Intel walk all over you, AMD/board partners.

• Hattig

1366×768, lol. What’s wrong with Intel? (yeah, I know they’re segmenting the marketplace artificially, but it kills Atom for home media servers, a place that they actually could have made inroads in, now ARM SoCs will take that area over).

Nice motherboards I’m sure if you are building a little home server or something.

• Flying Fox

1366×768 I am not sure if it is something worthy to brag about. A lot of TVs are now 1080p for crying out loud and you are still only doing this bastardized resolution? 😮

• dragmor

Yay DTX, more DTX motherboards please.

• Saundie

I am in agreement; the additional SATA and PCI-E make it far more compelling than the Mini-ITX offering, in my view.

• MadManOriginal

Yeah DTX is pretty nice. Two expansion slots is enough to give one a whole lot of options. What I’d very very much prefer though is the 1x slot nearer the CPU and the 16x slot on the edge of the board. Then a creative case design similar to what Silverstone does with the SG-05 but with 3 expansion slot would allow both a dual slot video card (hanging over the edge of the mobo) and one additional 1x expansion slot. I guess that’s not terribly far away from mATX but still..

you want a dual-slot video card on an Atom board that can’t do a higher resolution than a typical 720p LCD TV? What on earth for?

• MadManOriginal

I think you need to reread my post because I was not talking about anything other than a form factor. ITX and DTX are not limited to the Atom or other low power platform.

• tfp

you look to be talking about this specific board in your post…

• MadManOriginal

I will take your post as a joke and lol at it because I find it hard to believe that your reading comprehension could possibly be that poor. I may be giving you far too much credit though, there sure are a lot of stupid people in the world.

• OneArmedScissor

“Yeah DTX is pretty nice. Two expansion slots is enough to give one a whole lot of options.”

No, right there, your opening line, clearly states that you are referring to nothing but this specific Atom board, and not the form factor itself.

You, sir, are a…MAD MAN!

• tfp

Or not smart enough to write down their thoughts clearly. 😉

• MadManOriginal

Smart enough not to feed the trollidiots. No soup for you!

You know what, forget it. You were talking about the slot placement on that particular board but in truth you probably just can’t articulate your thoughts well enough to say what you mean (OK, that was trolling).

• MadManOriginal

I talk about slot placement on the DTX form factor in reply to a post that mentions DTX. Nowhere do I mention this specific board and in fact the post to which I was replying said MORE DTX motherboards please which is another way of explicitly saying something u[

l[

• OneArmedScissor

Holy flying carp on a stick, give it a rest.

If he’s having a hissy fit, then what are you doing?

Well since you asked, I’m enjoying myself in a casual day of commenting on TR.

• OneArmedScissor

EDIT: Your post said something else a second ago, but I’m going to leave mine. I’m all for flame wars when there’s humor involved, but I think this is trying to make one out of nothing.

I find it annoying. If you post to him, he’s going to reply, just as I’m going to do to you.

The trouble is that this isn’t some awesome flame thread of the ages.

It WAS a perfectly reasonable thread, but now it’s flooded with nonsense.

Have you ever written something and then said to yourself “d’oh! I should have said this instead!” That’s what happened to me, and I gave in. So yeah, it said something else. Now it says what it says. There were no replies when I edited it (though I try to refrain from just editing after there have been replies).

• MadManOriginal

Because you questioned it like an ass Mr. ‘what on earth for?’

Also the subject of that sentence is ‘I’ :p

And I added this to the post while you were writing yours q[

• GodsMadClown

My reading indicates that the integrated video is the one that’s resolution limited. Upgrading it with video card would likely sidestep that limitation. Making it a card with passive, double wide cooling would be a logical step in a silent box.

Still, I agree with the sentiment here that limiting it to 1366×768 is a curious decision. I wonder if it’s related to the LVDS-to-HDMI stuff?

• OneArmedScissor

A video card would also use more power than the entire computer, totally defeating the purpose of the entire platform.

What’s confusing is that this is the dual-core version, but it still isn’t 1080p.

Atom is just…fail.

• eitje

so says you.

i like the idea, personally, though I don’t think performance would scale well (based on my tests w/ the Nano a few years back).

• OneArmedScissor

Stop and think. You have two options here:

1) A low power use, low capability desktop, which doesn’t really cost less than other desktops. Then throw all of that out the window and add a graphics card to it just to bump up its video resolution, so that it’s no longer lower in power use than anything else, just more expensive, and still slower and less capable.

or…

2) Any other cheap computer that can do 1080p out of the box with its own integrated graphics.

Yeah, you’re right – any PCI-e video card would remove that resolution limitation.

• Flying Fox

Only if said card can function adequately in x1 mode. Both slots are x1 mode only. 🙁

The DTX board with the 6 SATA slots would actually be good for a file server, but for 1080p HTPC purpose this is just not going to happen.

oh, totally missed that. Kinda lame.