Latest Cooler Master case has built-in SATA dock

With almost 1,700 user reviews on Newegg, Cooler Master’s CM 690 enclosure looks to be a popular choice indeed. Today, Cooler Master introduced a successor: the CM 690 II Advanced, which the company says it designed to deliver extra capacity, better cooling, tidier cable routing, a more user-friendly design, and a sleeker-looking black interior.

The CM 690 II ships with three fans—one 140 mm at the top, one 140 mm at the front, and one 120 mm at the rear—but it has room for another seven, including two 120-mm fans at the bottom, two 140-mm fans on one side, a 120-mm fan on the hard-drive cage, and 80-mm fans on the left side and on the graphics card bracket. (Yes, the CM 690 II Advanced also comes with a steel retention bracket that can help keep up to three graphics cards steady.)

As if that weren’t enough, Cooler Master has included room for two liquid-cooling radiators at the top and bottom. All of these goodies complement six modular, tool-free hard drive bays, four 5.25" bays, a hole in the motherboard tray behind the CPU socket, an 1.8"- or 2.5"-to-3.5" drive cage adapter for solid-state-drives, and even a Serial ATA dock wedged into the top panel.

Cooler Master says the CM 690 II Advanced will be available worldwide this month alongside "additional accessories including windowed side panels." The company also plans to offer "plus" and "regular" versions of the enclosure, with the latter lacking SSD drive cages and a GPU retention bracket.

• internetsandman

I wonder what the plus version of the case could add on to this…whatever it is, I probably don’t care. this version in the pictures is more than enough for me, so as longas it’s still priced like a 690, this will be a brilliant case.

I just wonder if there’s any rubber on that SATA dock….I don’t wanna listen to that rattle if i use it.

P.S. Is there any word on a release date for this case?

• kfc

the side panel fan grills could look better. the appearance of the side fan/grills are one downfall that I see with CMs low to mid level cases. They should use “modders mesh” or something similar.

• Voldenuit

It’s a shame the Cooler Master Sileo was dropped. It was the only case where CM made a real effort to be quiet, and it really paid off. And it was dirt cheap, too. I don’t like mesh style fasciae, as they allow sound transmission (and are also dust magnets).

I like the idea of the SATA dock, though. More storage is always good in this age of multi-gigabyte games, HD movies and TV shows. Oh, and pr0n. :p

• UberGerbil

It was dropped? My local Fry’s had a bunch of them a couple of weeks ago.

• Voldenuit

Weird, cause I can’t find them for retail in Asia anymore. Used to be, they were *everywhere*, but when I wanted to build a new system for my folks a couple months ago, nobody carried them anymore. Ended up going with a silverstone kublai, which is not exactly silent*, but at least has the aluminum door cover as a baffle over the mesh front intake.

* I also found out the hard way that the front intake fan is not replaceable, though at least they had the good sense to use 3-pin headers this time. Silverstone’s stock fans are too noisy for my taste.

• tikrjee

But does that 80mm fan still have to be one of the stupidly hard to find and unnecessarily overpriced 15mm thin fans?

• Byte Storm

Probably, but there is a $4 one on newegg, right next to its $10 friends.

• UberGerbil

I always preferred the aesthetics of the 590 better, but the majority apparently disagreed.

• SomeOtherGeek

Yea, I totally disagree, but I also agree cuz I don’t know what the hell you are talking about! 😉

• BaconatedGrapefruit

Funny how none of the pics released actually show the major change: the dock.

• wira020

If only i waited a bit, i would have gotten this case.. I just bought my cm690 last month… this version seems to be a huge improvement over the older one despite the same look… oh well, cm690 is good enough as it is…

• superjawes

Hmmm…if this comes in about the same price as the original 690 ($85 before Newegg discounts), I think that’s more than worth it, and I might even consider switching to it if I ever do a major update to my desktop. The extra space would be nice, and the eSATA dock is an excellent idea.

• Byte Storm

I find it amusing that customers think a business should sell an improved product at the exact same current price as it’s predecessor. That isn’t going to happen. It will probably be $179 or more, because more effort has gone into this case.

On the flip side, I find it also amusing that some companies will gouge the ever-living $H!T out of their customers with “drastic improvements” that didn’t cost THAT much to do.

The most amusing part is when neither side will “meet in the middle”. Customer wants it as cheap as possible, business wants to make maximum profit. Customer doesn’t realize that the age of haggling came to a close a couple decades ago. Business doesn’t realize that the real customers (not the enthusiasts) can’t afford/morally object to their ‘really good’ product.

Not singling you out superjawes, just your post about how much you’re ‘willing to pay’ brought this train of though out, and I had to bring it into the station.

Now that that’s out of the way, this may very well be my next case, which I am going to be buying soon.

• Anomymous Gerbil

Your amusement is misplaced. The world is littered with examples of better products coming out at the same or even lower prices than their predecessors, as design improvements / process improvements / economies of scale and/or lower materials costs kick in.

• Byte Storm

As I stated in my post, an improvement released at the same CURRENT price point as the preceding product. I would like to see examples, as I have never seen this occur.

• kiwik

Core i5 750 for less than Q9550.

• Byte Storm

Processor improvements that are not in the same family don’t count, cause you have to buy 2 products to utilize it, mobo and processor.

My reference is a direct improvement to an existing product, not a brand new architecture that nearly obsoletes an older product.

• green

cbf actually finding the example, but currently the g skill falcon 2 ssd’s are either very close to, or less than the previous generation cost
            (while apparently slower, it uses less power)

• Skrying

More than $179? Haha… what? Have you actually looked at the case market lately?

Consider the internals of this case are identical to nearly all of Cooler Master’s sub $100 case line up and the addition of the dock is just an effort to bring customers back from the popular Antec 900/902 options and $179 (let alone more) is an absolutely insane price point for this case. Cooler Master’s full tower Stacker 830 and ATCS 840 are at those price points and those are MUCH larger, many more large fans and made entirely out of aluminum.

It would be product suicide at anything over $130. My prediction? $100 to $120 at most.

• Byte Storm

I’ll give you that, but my guess was based on the fact that my experience dictates that when a company claims “new and improved” AND are not going to change the price point of the existing product, then get ready for the shaft.

But hey, I’ll probably buy it no matter what, but again, you are probably right about the price point.

• wira020

$70 for the basic version.. while the advance cost a bit more, $90 i think.. u guys should look at the review on this thing.. there’s alot of site that did review of this case in yesterday shortbread… i think legit review listed that price…

• superjawes

How long has the predecessor been on the market? Sure, it might not come out at the SAME price, but producers can only sell a product at a given price for a set amount of time before until there is no one left to sell to.

On the other hand, it isn’t exactly a completely different product, either. The successor was almost certainly built off of the original, adding features and functionality where they could, and feedback from customers under consideration.

And lastly, I’m not an owner of the original, which makes the case even more appealing /[

• Skrying

The exterior is the same but the interior is simply Cooler Master’s new interior design. If compare the various cases Cooler Master offers you’ll see many “groups” of cases that use identical interiors or ones with extremely minor tweaks from each other. For instance, the new case mentioned in this news post has the same interior as the Storm Scout which has the same interior as the Gladiator. The differences between each one are exterior in most cases. This of course spreads design costs across multiple models. Which, along with market pressure, is why a $179 price is simply insanely too high.

• superjawes

Well, you simply added to my second point (about building off the previous design), and certainly showed that a price closer to the predecessor’s current price is more likely (and more reasonable).

• Jambe

From Legit Reviews:

/[

• Byte Storm

Nope. Thanks for pointing that out, that makes me happy.

• jcw122

Looks and sound pretty sweet! I’m not a big proponent of fans on the bottom of the case. That’s just asking for a ton of dust.

• UberGerbil

So mount them to blow down, and your system can float around the room on a cushion of air.