Dell unveils ultraportable gaming laptop, slate prototype

The CES fervor hasn’t spared Dell, which announced earlier today an Alienware-branded ultraportable gaming notebook, a slate PC prototype, and a host of new but less-exciting systems based on Intel’s 32-nm processors.

Dell bills the Alienware M11x as its "first ultra-mobile gaming laptop," and it’s easy to see why. The 11" notebook purportedly has the power to play all games and media at a 720p resolution, much like larger 15" offerings. Gizmodo got a first-hand look at the system on the show floor, and it says an Nvidia graphics processor lets the Alienware M11x reach 50 FPS in Crysis and 30 FPS in Call of Duty (presumably one of the Modern Warfare titles) "on High Settings." Users can switch from the Nvidia GPU to integrated graphics in "seconds" without restarting or logging out, at which point you’re looking at 6.5 hours of battery life, Gizmodo adds.

We’ve included some official photos of the Alienware M11x in the image gallery below.

Dell demonstrated its 5" slate PC prototype, too, images of which we’ve also included in our gallery. While Dell itself doesn’t say much in the way of specs or availability, Engadget has gotten some hands-on time with the device, and it looks to run Google’s Android operating system. There’s a five-megapixel camera at the back, and Pocket-Lint writes that the slate features a SIM card slot.

• ZGradt

Nice. They’re saying MSRP of $1k. So probably $1.5k once it’s actually released. Why are they always so optimistic? I’m still ticked the Ion netbooks aren’t $250 like they said a year ago.

I’ve been waiting for something like this, but I’ll probably end up snagging a 13″ or settling for a 10″ instead and forgo the gaming. I would be tempted if it actually turns out to be $1k though.

• FuturePastNow

Oddly, I was just thinking about buying a laptop with a decent GPU next year so I could play… Star Trek Online while traveling.

I think someone is sending me a message.

• Thresher

Now, if they gave me those specs in something that doesn’t look like it was designed by a 16 year old Taiwanese ricer, I might be interested.

Dell, HP, et. al. keep missing the point: the people that have the money for their top of the line stuff don’t want it blinged out. Or at least, there are more of us that don’t than do.

• swaaye

Personally, I’m not sure that garish gaudy notebooks aren’t popular. I avoid them, but I know others who like them.

Hell I prefer simple boxy matte finished monstrosities over the ridiculously smudge-ridden hip glossy messes they sell today. Matte forever. Shine is bad and dumb!!

• Voldenuit

QFT. And that alienware is fugly.

Now the Voodoo Envy, those are *[

• ssidbroadcast

This laptop is actually the most conservative design I’ve ever seen from Alienware.

• Goty

“Ultraportable” and Alienware have never belonged in the same conversation and this laptop looks to continue that trend.

• Waco

That looks pretty damn portable to me…

• MadManOriginal

A 5 inch tablet sort of makes more sense to me than the 7-10 inch ones that have been rumored and talked about. At those sizes you may as well just get an ultraportable, they are just in that awkward ‘above a smartphone, below an ultraportable’ size sort of like a gangly teenager. A 5″ device would be slightly more usable than a smartphone but still small enough to carry in a coat pocket.

• wira020

I agree with you… i’d rather not carry a separate bag for another device which should function much the same as a smartphone… come to think of it, most smartphone is already good enough for light tasks that a netbook can do…

• wira020

edit*
        The dell slate has a sim card… i might just replace my phone with that if the price is right and no better offering from other companies.. black please…

• swaaye

The moment they suggest that Crysis runs 20fps faster than CoD is the moment that their claims become rather questionable lol.

• shaq_mobile

they could be running it at some awesome resolution like 400×300.

• kiwik

720p res, from the article, so it will probably be 1366×768.

• khands

Yup, probably on medium at best.

• oMa

I don’t think they have anything more powerful than a 210m or equivalent from ATI. My vaio z has a 9300m gs, this card has a TDP at 13 W(like the 210), and this is a 13,1″ notebook.

• mczak

If you follow the links, you see it actually has a GT 335M – this is a GT215 chip with one shader cluster disabled. It has fairly low clocks, but that’s still 72 shader cores against the 16 of your 9300m/210, so this is definitely much faster. Certainly not a highend chip, but for a notebook this size quite good indeed.