Cheaper HP Envy 15 packs Core i5, Mobility Radeon HD 5830

The aluminum- and magnesium-clad HP Envy 15 has become one of the first laptops to feature one of AMD’s just-released Mobility Radeon HD 5800-series graphics processors. HP has updated the system with an equally fresh 32-nm Core i5 processor, as well, and it’s dropped the price to $1,299 for good measure.

Listed on HP’s website with a January 19 “estimated build date,” the new $1,299 Envy 15 configuration features a 15.6″ 1366×768 display, a 2.4GHz Core i5-520M processor, Mobility Radeon HD 5830 1GB graphics, 4GB of DDR3 system memory, a 320GB 7,200-RPM hard drive, 802.11n Wi-Fi, a six-cell lithium-ion polymer battery, and Windows 7 Home Premium x64. Of course, the system still has that stylish metallic body that made headlines last September.

The original Envy 15 sold for $1,799, but it had a somewhat different set of specs and a proper quad-core Core i7 processor. You can still step up to a Core i7 in the current system, but doing so will hike the price up to at least $1,449.

HP has also freshened up the 13.1″ Envy 13, taking the starting price from $1,699 to $1,499 and downgrading the CPU from the 1.86GHz Core 2 Duo SL9400 to the 1.6GHz SL9300 model. AMD’s Mobility Radeon HD 4330 has remained as the standard graphics device. (Thanks to Engadget for the link.)

• mslowe7187

macbook pro anyone? looks alot like one

• anotherengineer

Ya, except a macbook pro with the equvalent specs is about double the cost lol

• mslowe7187

Yeah pretty much!

• Skrying

I personally think it’s a beautiful looking laptop. Both the Envy 15 and Envy 13. A ton of potential. But the previous revision was killed by it’s poor battery life and (always seems the case with HP) poor touchpad.

• thecoldanddarkone

Ehh, with the exception of engadgets review, battery life was fine on the envy 13. The 15 still sucks, but uhh yea.

• Helmore

Why do they put a Radeon 5830 with DDR3 RAM in there?
    Can’t these manufacturers at least go for proper GDDR5, it would add relatively little the asking price.

• grantmeaname

because that GPU is just too beastly to be tied to GDDR3 memory?

• OneArmedScissor

I’m going to keep using my 19″ 1280×1024 monitor with my new computer, on purpose, just so I can keep saying that and make you whiners’ eyes burn. :p

• ImSpartacus

I still have a 19″ 1280×1024 monitor. It works well enough. It’s just a secondary monitor to my 24″ 1080p panel. It’s decent for putting chat boxes and productivity work when I have to use a browser.

• BoBzeBuilder

Give me a desktop 5830 for $200 with near 5850 performance. Pretty please.

1366×768 resolutions kill these things. A 15″ display should have no less than 1600×900 on a premium portable.

• thecoldanddarkone

Well they do have that option. It’s a 75/100 dollar addon.

75/100 for 1080 p on the envy 15.
      50 for 1600×900 on the envy 13.

oh, 1080p. I think that’d be worth $75.

• dpaus

It think it depends a bit on how you’re using it. To me, these days, a laptop is just a portable desktop, sort of a USB stick with a CPU and keyboard. It’s (almost) always connected to external displays. For those few times when it isn’t, I don’t mind the medium-res display.

But I absolutely agree that the option should be available.

• ImSpartacus

Amen brother.

Normal people just don’t care about resolution. That’s how these manufacturers can skimp on this stuff.

As long as it says “HD” in the name, the average consumer could care less.

That’s how we end up with 16″ 1366×768 screens on nearly worthless.

• mwaschkowski

1366×768 is too small.
        1900×1200 is too big.

1680×1050 or 1400×900 (what I have on my current 15″) is just right.

I’ll probably go with another vendor over this – I stare at my screen for 10+ hrs a day, so the screen has got to be good without fonts too small or too big, and just setting the default font size bigger doesn’t work well because there are ALWAYS exceptions that make life difficult.

• ssidbroadcast

I was thinking 1400×900 would be more appropriate.

• Jon

Anybody know what the ‘anti-glare’ feature is on the screen of this thing?

• ImSpartacus

1366×768 15.6in screen?

768p should be illegal in anything larger than 13in. 14in can have 900p screens and 15.6in can have 1080p screens. Stop skimping on screen resolution!

EDIT: I stand corrected. The Envy 15 has a $75 matte 1080p upgrade. Now *[

• astraelraen

I have perfectly fine eyes and TBH I don’t want to look at 1080p on a 15.6″ screen.

Even 1680×1050 is going to be relatively small on a 15″ screen.

• oMa

My eyes are perfectly fine aswell, and i cant stand my old compaq any more. I resently bought vaio z with 1600×900 on a 13,1″ screen. And who desided that you cannot make the standard font bigger. Why should we stop the dpi increse just because you dont know how to make the font bigger.

• w00tstock

My thinkpad w500 1920×1200 res, could not be more happy with it. Font scaling is a great thing.

• ImSpartacus

My father is considering a 15.4in. HP Elitebook with a 1920×1200 resolution. He’s locked into HP, but he really wants to be able to see more on his screen.

I’m glad to see someone has a similar mobile workstation and they are satisfied with it.

Me? I’m an ultraportable suckup. 13in or bust!

• ImSpartacus

It’s not so bad. You can see a lot of stuff. It’s easier to multitask.

• dpaus

Oooo… Me likee. I wonder if it can drive more than one external display?