January 27 Apple event confirmed

Well, this is it. Next week, we’ll see Apple put the rumors to rest by unleashing its long-awaited tablet device—either that, or the firm will hold perhaps its most disappointing keynote in recent history.

As Ars Technica reports, Apple has sent out invitations for a media event taking place on January 27 at 10:00 AM Pacific. The invites show a white Apple logo overlaid on top of multicolored paint splatters and, below it, five short words: “Come see our latest creation.”

As foretold by the Wall Street Journal’s All Things Digital blog, Apple will hold the event at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco—the same venue where last year’s iPod refresh took place. Ars expects the Apple tablet will promote either the publishing industry and e-books, a la Amazon’s Kindle, or music and video, but some type of link with creative arts seems like a given. In light of the reports we’ve seen about secret negotiations between Apple and publishing firms, we’d bet on the e-book rumors.

There’s still no word on specifications or availability, though. The freshest information we fished out dates back to early December, when an analyst said he expected a 10.1″ multi-touch device with a $1,000 price tag. The analyst’s speculation hinted at a February retail release, too.

• MadManOriginal
    • Voldenuit

Just think of the ad opportunities.

You get the iPod ad silhouette figure wearing a hat with a feather and carrying a big cane. ^_^

• MadManOriginal

The opportunities for jokes ‘accidentally’ misspelling iPMP as PiMP is too great for it to be named that 🙁

• Meadows

Goodness I need sleep, I read that as “if the tumors are to be believed”.

• blastdoor

Exactly. All billionaires are doing exactly what they want within the constraints of natural laws. That’s the benefit of being a billionaire. So you can bet that whatever Jobs is doing right now is exactly what Jobs wants to be doing right now.

• Voldenuit

Yeah, the $1,000 price (estimate) is a shocker*, and if the iTablet does come out at that level, it’s going to tank even harder than the Newton (MSRP $700 in 1994 dollars).

I do think there is an untapped market for the device, though, in digital distribution and media. I know quite a few people (myself included) who prefer watching shows digitally streamed than off cable/DVRs/dvds. Archos has plugged away unrelentingly at PMP*s for years, but never had the same channel that Apple has with iTunes to supply content (and monetize it).

The Apple TV saw a huge surge of interest, then was (seemingly) abandoned. Perhaps this is the reason.

And imo, using a tablet is a lot more comfortable than using a laptop in bed and on the couch, let alone a bus, train or airplane.

It might even make sense for business users. Nowadays, we have projectors that can receive presentations via wifi. With a tablet, a presenter can hold the device in one hand and still walk around the stage controlling the presentation (I can just picture The Steve doing this).

* how about the iPMP as a catchy name? :p

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the TCOO for an iPhone 3Gs is upwards of $2800 with contract. And iTunes sales can be used to subsidise the up-front-cost for an iTablet in a way that no other device/service can take advantage of. Whether this happens or not (my guess is no) is another matter.

• tesla120

I can hear the “one more thing” already….

they will release it and because of the apple logo it will instantly be known as the best tablet on the market.

wait…. *remembers macbook air* maybe it wont.

• Fighterpilot

Have you ever handled a tablet sized device?…They are awkward to hold,get casually put on chair cushion(to get sat on) while you do something else and don’t fit in anything like a pocket phone or PDA will.
    It’s gonna go nowhere once the isheep have madly queued up for it.

• Skrying

Well of course. I stated earlier that I don’t see any Windows based (or Android for that matter, or other Linux based one) having any compelling reason for picking it over a cheap laptop.

As for the Apple;

I think Apple is the company that would design software from the ground up for the form factor. That said, as I stated earlier, I think the price and frankly limitations in what people want/need will keep The Tablet from being a success at the level the hype would suggest, or potentially even success at levels enough to support the form factor long term.

• designerfx

tablets are pointless. 90% of the features are now in a common touchscreen phone. Tablets need to be completely redesigned from scratch so that people can come up with new features. Larger screen is about all there is right now.

• Skrying

You won’t see me at all defending the Windows 7 and Android based tablets. I think they’re not only going to fail but they’ll be laughable at best. I mentioned this several times in the HP tablet news post. That even though Windows 7 has support for multitouch it doesn’t matter at all because the vast majority of Windows applications are not at all designed for a touch input.

Many people just gloss over that the SOFTWARE on these devices is far more important than the hardware.

• Voldenuit

They pulled out of Macworld because it was artificially limiting their product release schedules. It might have displeased some fans, but it was simply impractical for them from a business and development standpoint.

#20, I think that an Apple tablet stands a much greater chance than any of the various windows/linux/android tablet designs we’ve seen so far, especially if they can leverage the existing App Store (perhaps rumours of it being Cortex A9 powered make more sense now?). The problem with the competing products is that there is no standardisation in apps and UI, and their UI sucks. Lastly, Apple is wildly successful because it sells people not what they need, but what they /[

the transplant was because of liver cancer if the rumors are to be believed.

Apple pulled out of Macworld after 2007, IIRC. It was run by IDG, publisher of the magazine with the same name.

• MadManOriginal

Yeah but once you sheep-buy an Apple product you officially get to put a lowercase i in front of your title!

• potatochobit

Isn’t MacWorld in the winter?
    I don’t see why they have to make their own little expose at the same time
    I know they officially pulled out but still all it does is alienate mac loyalists

• Skrying

I always saw iSheep as people who buy Apple products because they’re Apple products. The people I talked about are just your standard sheep.

• ludi

Considering the massive gastrointestinal rework associated with the surgeries and transplants he has undergone, that may be as full-fleshed as he will ever get, even without a relapse.

• MadManOriginal

Your last paragraphs states what makes people iSheep – buying what’s popular.

• Skrying

But what does The Tablet do that justifies purchasing it over the iPod Touch or iPhone? Or does it fulfill enough duties to not make a bit more expensive product a worthwhile leap? Are those abilities unique and substantial enough to justify that price? You simply can’t launch a product because you have a gap in your lineups price range. That product must still have compelling features. My contention is that The Tablet won’t or at least not enough to draw a large enough audience to make it a profitable product.

• Skrying

Eh? I know Apple only cares about making money. Where in the world did I say otherwise?

Apple has a loyal fan base, but it is small. Even if all of the members of that base bought The Tablet it wouldn’t make this a successful product from the perspective of profit or market share.

The irony here is that Apple in the markets they compete heavily (computers, media players, phones) actually does have VERY large market share. They’re one of the largest computer manufactures, they clearly dominate the media player market and the iPhone is consistently one of the highest selling smartphones.

You can’t depend on your most loyal of customers when you’re as large of Apple. Even with a high margin product you must sell to “outsiders.” Which is partially why all of the “iSheep” comments are crazy, most people who own an Apple product are not loyal to Apple they just by what is most popular or hyped under the (generally wrong) assumption that what is most popular is best.

• Hance

I want to fondle the new apple tablet to see what it is all about. I don’t want to buy one though. Looking at the price of a top of the line iPod Touch this thing is going to be way to expensive.

• SomeOtherGeek

My thinking as well. He just doesn’t look good at all. I guess, he will just work to death?

• Decelerate

What if he is doing whatever he wants, which is to manage a famous companies and have people do what he wants.

Heck, he practically owns Disney now too.

• Decelerate

Explosive growth is not uncommon, especially in the tech industry.

Think World of Warcraft in a market where the industry thought there’d be 1 million people max willing to pay to play MMOs.

Or the Wii changing the rules of success of the console industry.

• anotherengineer

Yikes!!

See that pic of Mr. Jobs, looks like he has cancer on top of a transplant!

I think I would retire and enjoy the rest of my days doing whatever.

• SomeOtherGeek

Hey, I just had a revelation! Apple products is considered an “art” to the masses. Yea, that has to be the only reason for the high price tag/tax.

Or maybe you all knew that?

• glynor

Good luck with that bet.

People said the same about the iPod. And then the same about the iPhone. And the mistake people always make when watching Apple from a PC-user’s perspective is that people think they care about market share and about “dominating the market”.

Apple doesn’t care AT ALL about market share. They care about making money. Period.

And, I think, their balance sheets speak for themselves.

• JustAnEngineer

Why is this even a separate front page news article?

• glynor

A 10″ touchscreen tablet with no keyboard for $699 (which is where I’d guess it will land) or $799 does not compete with a $1200 laptop. It might slightly hurt sales of the $999 laptop, but not by much, because those issues will be solved by the no-keyboard and custom OS limitations.

Like most netbooks, this will be a computer for people who already have a computer, but want something thin-and-light for on-the-go and all-day computing. It’ll just be Apple-ized.

I actually think it is a perfect move. There is currently a gaping hole in their portable product lineup at the $500-$1000 price point.

Portable $99 – $399: iPhone and iPod Touch
    Portable: $999 – $2499+: MacBook

“Full” Power Thin & Light $1499+: MacBook Air

That leaves NOTHING in the $500-$900 portable computing range of their product lineup at all. Compare this to their “fixed computing” lineup:

Fixed System $229: Apple TV
    Fixed System $599 – $799: Mac Mini (plus you need a monitor)
    Fixed System $1199 – $1999: iMac
    Fixed System Absurd: Mac Pro

The Mac Mini fills this space. I think filling this space is arguably much MORE important for a portable product, especially when you are competing against netbooks from ASUS, Dell, and Acer at $299-$499, and even more importantly against the ULV notebooks from ASUS and others now becoming much more popular in almost the same exact price space as the “probably tablet price”.

• Skrying

The Cupertino Army isn’t that large. Despite (or maybe because of) the hype I think The Tablet will be a “failure” for Apple. I don’t think many people are going to see why they need this device. It will be too expensive to be an expensive toy. It probably won’t have enough distinction from a smartphone to get that market either.

I also think as a device grows in size it must grow in how open it is. Apple is going to want this device to be closed like a iPod or iPhone but because of size and price people are going to want it to do much of a laptops functionality in order to justify purchasing it over said laptop.

I just don’t think they can do that unless the software and market place they build are VERY compelling.

• Usacomp2k3

If anyone saw the season premier for Project Runway it looked like they were using the new HP slate.

• MadManOriginal

bbbbuuuttt….the iZombies will get it AND a MBP. Why compromise when you can have TWO fashion statement devices that nearly fill the same role!?

• MadManOriginal

Considering the iPhone ‘really’ costs $500+ you’re quite right. I wouldn’t be surprised to see this at $800+ if it’s near 10″.

• Skrying

That puts them in direct competition with the 13″ MacBook. It makes it tempting enough to just jump to the 13″ MacBook Pro (which is price competitive).

I quite honestly don’t know what Apple has up their sleeve. I believe whatever they’ve designed the device to be that it will be highly focused on subscription media. Be those free or paid for subscriptions.

• glynor

$600-$800 is what I’d expect for an Apple “netbook”. Like I said… They don’t, and never have, competed on price. I think their quarterly profit figures prove that they are making the right call on that.

It is Apple’s Netbook, not “a netbook”. There is a big difference.

• Skrying

Don’t make assumptions on that price. This is Apple and this is a touch screen device. That means large scale capacitive technology. That could get very expensive. I fully expect this to cost in a ball park north of $600 and quite easily a couple hundred more potentially.

• Krogoth

Holy crap, Steve needs to eat a steak.

• glynor

I don’t understand why people are confused about the market for this thing…It is CLEARLY going to fill the “netbook” space in Apple’s lineup (lower price and performance than their cheapest laptop, but more powerful than a smartphone).

I think ASUS and ACER have proved that the netbook market segment is a viable market segment. Obviously, Apple will not try to compete with them directly head-to-head (on price). However, they will be making an ultra-portable, long-battery machine that can serve the “good enough” computing market. It will be cheaper than the cheapest MacBook, but more than the Apple TV and the iPhone. The only difference is that, in a very Apple-ish way, they will be tossing out the keyboard, using a giant touch-screen as the UI, and having it run a custom OS of some sort.

• dpaus

And truth be told, I’m in no position to criticize that approach…

• dpaus

I think “Newton” is still a very bad word at Apple – especially now that Rubenstein is at Palm.

• Ricardo Dawkins

I’m buying a netbook anyway.

• End User

How original.

• MadManOriginal

Too bad it will probably be called iTablet. I would have liked to see the Leibniz, or Pascal, or Euler, or Einstein…successor to the Newton 😉

• End User

I don’t think Apple does market research.

“It’s not about pop culture, and it’s not about fooling people, and it’s not about convincing people that they want something they don’t. We figure out what we want. And I think we’re pretty good at having the right discipline to think through whether a lot of other people are going to want it, too. That’s what we get paid to do.

“So you can’t go out and ask people, you know, what the next big [thing.] There’s a great quote by Henry Ford, right? He said, ‘If I’d have asked my customers what they wanted, they would have told me “A faster horse.”

§[<http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/fortune/0803/gallery.jobsqna.fortune/2.html<]§

• BoBzeBuilder

Slightly higher chances of getting laid.

• MadManOriginal

Apple tax!

• ssidbroadcast

Anyone ever try that energy drink, Tab? It’s /[

• Kulith

No doubt it’s going to be substantially worse than the competition and yet have an over abundance of “loyal customers” who insist otherwise.

• dpaus

Linking back to my comment on the Asus tablet, I’d love to see their (Apple’s) market research for this device.

Share this post with your friends!