Apple’s iPad debuts: a giant iPod touch for $499

Not one to disappoint, Apple CEO Steve Jobs unveiled his company’s latest creation during this morning’s press event. Dubbed iPad, the new device has a 9.7″ multi-touch display (based on the same IPS panel technology as high-end professional displays), a custom-designed Apple A4 processor, a super-sized version of the iPhone operating system, and a 10-hour battery.

Most surprising of all, Apple will charge only $499 for the base 16GB model when it becomes available in a couple of months—and that’s without a contract. 3G-enabled versions of the iPad will follow a month later with prices of $629 and up, but they’ll also be contract-free. Users will simply have the option of subscribing, without any tie-ins, to one of two AT&T data plans: 250MB a month for $14.99 and unlimited for $29.99.

The iPad itself pretty much fits the rumor mill’s description; it’s basically a giant iPhone, half an inch thick and tipping the scales at 1.5 lbs. Its operating system will run all existing iPhone apps unmodified, either in full-screen mode or with a black border, although Apple is releasing a new toolkit today that will enable developers to take advantage of the larger screen. Also, the device has 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, an accelerometer, a compass, and a microphone built in, and it can sync with iTunes over a USB cable just like an iPhone. Apparently, though, you won’t be able to sync over Wi-Fi. Too bad.

Just like the iPhone, the iPad will let users browse the web, read e-mail, view and share photos, watch videos, listen to music, and play 3D games. Jobs said he wanted the device to be more capable than a smart phone, so many of the built-in apps look more elaborate and, well, bigger than their iPhone counterparts (see the gallery below). Apple will also offer a version of its iWorks productivity suite for the device. With it, users will be able to edit spreadsheets, presentations, and word-processing documents right on the tablet, using either the almost-life-sized on-screen keyboard or Apple’s keyboard dock accessory.

And there will be books. Oh, yes. The new iBooks app will let folks buy books from publishers like Penguin, HarperCollins, Simon & Schuster, Macmillan, and Hachette. Purchased books will show up on a virtual wooden shelf, and the iPad will render them in a lifelike way with selectable fonts. Here, the iPad is going right up against the 9.7″ Amazon Kindle DX, which has a comparable $489 price tag. The Kindle DX doesn’t have a color screen or anything close to the iPad’s full capabilities, but its quoted battery life of one week (or two weeks with wireless connectivity off) does make the iPad’s 10 hours pale in comparison.

Before introducing the iPad, Steve Jobs said a device that bridges the gap between laptops and smart phones needs to be better than both—otherwise, it has no reason to exist. Netbooks, he added, “aren’t better at anything.” And that’s what the iPad seems to be about: Apple’s vision of the netbook done right, a device that makes browsing the web and consuming multimedia content easier and more fun than on either a netbook or a laptop. (Well, for the most part; according to Engadget’s coverage, the iPad web browser lacks Flash support.)

In any case, Apple’s aggressive pricing and marketing will probably help sell the idea to consumers. At $499, the iPad actually costs less than the original 8GB iPhone, which Apple sold for a hefty $599 before the September 2007 price cut. There’s room to go up from the baseline, naturally, since the priciest version of the iPad with 64GB of flash storage and 3G connectivity will sell for $829.

Thanks to Engadget, Gizmodo, 9to5mac, and TWiT for their live coverage of the event.

• Ushio01

The only question I have is how do you get content on the $499 ipad?

No USB, Memory card or 3G, I know there’s wifi but that is very limited and not the most intuitive to set up at least not for people without some technical know how.

So unless your willing to spend more money I don’t think there’s going to be a lot of happy people when they get it home and realise they can’t use it for anything.

• soccergenius

The same way you put content on an iPhone/iPod, through the USB cable via iTunes.

• Decelerate

Wow, watch the hate on these boards.

I’m not as negative about the iPad as many of you are:

-Many people compare it to the netbook, arguing about space and things it can do. To me that’s like saying a Ferrari can’t go off-road like a Jeep. Come on, how do you expect an SSD device with touch interface and an IPS screen to be 300$?

-The appeal of the iPad is similar to the iPhone and Touch, which is to be able to access stuff without the hassle of booting up/shutting down Windows/OSX, and this is where the iPad can shine

Am I satisfied with the release? Not really, I still want multitasking on such a dedicated device, though I believe the lack of flash is overrated. iPhone and iPod touch went 3 years without it, and is still kicking the competition. I don’t care as much about the lack of camera on the iPad as I do on the Touch (which is what I am waiting for to buy the Touch).

And I still have to see the benefit of reading on an LCD vs an e-ink screen. I think the Kindle still have an advantage on that front.

• MadManOriginal

Actually Steve Jobs was comparing to a netbook, watch a video of the presentation.

• bogbox

One big problem : no multitasking.
    I play games ,i read/write emails,surf the net,and listen to music all at the same time, on my cell phone,really old, 3 years. Plus it has a camera.
    My phone does a lot more than this.
    Atom ,which cost 30$, does have 2 virtual core , my desktop CPU has 4 cores,Nehalem does 12 virtual cores.Coming this year 6,12 real cores from AMD ,and Intel(with 12 ,24 virtual cores) and huge amount of multitasking options. So in 2010 ,the world is full mutithreated applications ,Apples A4 is 1/2 vitrual cores has no multitasking and plus no flash.
    This is no nettop,no cell phone ,not iPod .The iPad is a test, what price you can sell a 20 old device now, packaged to look like new and someone buys it.

• YeuEmMaiMai

appfailure once again.

• Ashbringer

The reason iPad sucks is because there’s a lot of other things that do what it does, especially for that price.

For $600, you can buy a laptop that’ll do what the iPad does, but have access to much more freedom and applications. Won’t be an Apple laptop, but who really cares?

For less, you can have a smart phone that’ll fit in your pocket. With a contract, you could own an iphone for less. You can make phone calls, and keep it in your pocket.

iPad sucks cause it’s like someone took the iPod Touch, re sized it larger. Nothing is innovative or inspiring about it.

• PerfectCr

I’m a huge Apple Fanboy (3GS and MBP 13″ Owner here) but this product is DOA. There’s just no need for it. I will not defend Apple/Jobs on this one. What was he thinking? A giant iPod Touch?

r[<*[

• Dually

Disagree. As with most products, it depends on what you need.

My wife uses her ipod touch for web, email, kindle for ipod. An iPod touch with a bigger screen and native eBook app is perfect for her. And at $499, if she’s a good girl, I’ll even buy her one.

• Galvnze

I wonder if you are really a fanboy then. Usually, there is no faltering. You seem like you have a lick of sense.

• icto0389

based on the iphone and ipod touch success i think there is a good market for it. the only problem is that its purely an entertainment device. until app designers find out how to make it productive and well as entraining it will take some time to launch as a product… IE when it becomes cheaper.

• ish718

Only thing cool about this is the touch screen and portability. Otherwise that, it is crap…

• tcunning1

I love the hyperbolic promo video that says how amazing the video is, but the panel only has 1024×768 resolution, so it won’t even do 720p. It would be appealing for video otherwise–wait for iPad 2.0?

• crazybus

Why would you need 720p resolution on a 9.7″ display?

Unless you’re talking about HD resolution video output, I think codec related limitations detract from the iPad’s video potential far more than its display resolution.

• MadManOriginal

For all the 720p content that’s on iTunes maybe. The more I think about it the more I see the iPad as a front for the iTunes store, now iBooks too, and considering the lockin and lockdown I think that’s fairly accurate. While many people have iPhones many MANY more do not for whatever reason, this gives Apple a chance to extend iTunes store customer base.

• crazybus

You don’t need a 720p display to playback 720p video.

No but look at the views of this running 720p (I assume? or -[

• crazybus

The vast majority of video is scaled — unless your resampler is major fail it’s a non-issue. 4:3 vs 16:9, that’s a question of aspect ratio, not resolution. I’m a little surprised Apple went with a 4:3 aspect ratio, but it’s closer to a typical book page than 16:9 would be.

• MadManOriginal

What? So you’re saying playing 1080p video on a 1080p screen is scaled? 720p on a 720p display is scaled?

• crazybus

I didn’t say all video is scaled. Since you mentioned 720p on a 720p display, you should know that most screens labeled 720p are actually 1366×768 (earlier 720p plasmas were often 1024×768), so scaling is practically guaranteed. The fact remains that most video goes through some kind of scaler between when it is captured and when it is displayed on your screen.

• MadManOriginal

720p (1280×720 16:9) on a 1366×768 screen can be letterboxed with no scaling needed, just black bars all around. Scaling on such a screen is only necessary for noobs who worry about ‘filling the screen.’ Getting back to the point, a 720p (or greater) screen is very helpful for viewing 720p content especially if you want ‘the best’ representation of the content.

• crazybus

A 9.6″ screen and “best representation of the content” doesn’t completely jibe in my opinion. Not that I would mind a device like this for video watching, but native display of 720p is a tad unnecessary on a display of this size. It would be nice if it could output at least 720p to an external display.

• MadManOriginal

“The best” is how APPLE presented it, not me. So if a 9.7″ screen isnt going to be “the best” anyway…

• accord1999

Though the difference here is that because of the aspect ratio of the iPad, 16:9 HD media gets downsampled to 1024×576 and leaving about 25% of the screen black.

• rhysl

lol .. its crap . cant even do Flash .. WHY !!!

• sigher

Most people think it’s because it would bite hugely in apps-sales and itunes sales since flash would do for free what many apps do, and video is also available on the net with flash so people would not buy itunes shows.

(That would also explain why it doesn’t do xvid.)

• sid1089

You guys should just let this thing go into the market for a while and then, we will see if this is useful or useless. Imo no point having arguments over a device that hasn’t even been released to the public yet. Unless if you are omniscient or somehow can predict the future accurately, arguing one way or the other is just stupid.

This device may just take off very nicely or it may just be a useless thing that no one ever uses. Lets wait and see what happens.

• sigher

That’s a daft statement, tons is known and there can be discussion, like the missing flash, that makes it pointless for many users, they don’t need to buy it to know that in advance, if youtube of hulu or other flashbased things are what you spend a lot of time with you already have your argument.
      Same for people that find it painful on the eyes to read on LCD, yes this might be IPS but it is LCD and so for some people this simply cannot be an e-reader, they also know that in advance.
      Point is that since all the data is available, and since the iphone/ipod-touch are available which are the same just smaller, people can discuss it fine.

• xtalentx

I use my smart phone and my full size desktop/laptop. I have no need to anything in the middle. I suspect most people don’t. The only way this will do well is if Apple can hype the PR machine enough to make people think this is more useful than it really is.

• SNM

I think a lot of netbook users will find this is better at what they use netbooks for: email, reading websites, watching Youtube (not other Flash stuff, no, but it’s got a Youtube app and even DailyMotion and Vimeo have HTML5 video players), curling up around a video in a comfy chair, etc.

• marvelous

Exactly. I don’t know why these geeks think ipad needs a niche market. Most people don’t care for being a geek or multi-task and pushing complicated instructions to do simple things as watching videos, browsing, reading, whatever with your mini computer on the go. Apple really is consoling computers and geeks hate them for it but in fact they make them easier to control like consoles even a monkey can understand.

For $500 ipad is decent priced. I just wish it was storage upgradable through USB, SD slots etc. but apple really likes to milk their customers with storage size. Flash can easily be aquired by 3rd party. No need for you geeks to cry just because you can’t push your pencils around with an ipad.

• xtalentx

Here is a reality check for you. If you are posting on this site – YOU are a geek.

• MunkaEye

I hope they will make an iPad mount for my Segway. That way I can use both of these society changing devices at once!

Does it come with a carbon footprint meter?

• MadManOriginal

That promo video makes me feel nervous and elated at the same time, it really does seem like a religious or cult recruiting tool 😮 I like how it’s the best at everything haha.

• moritzgedig

I would buy something like the “Kindle” if it were an open platform. I don’t want it to have a phone in it. I want to be able to read any text that I upload, with or without DRM and in many formats such as: PDF, TXT, RTF, PDB, FB2, PRC, OPF, AZW, CHM, TR2, TR3, PS, EPUB
    It should have USB and BT as well as IrDA.
    A B/W 15″ ² / 6″dia display would be sufficient.
    I will stick with paper-books if the device doesn’t pay-off after a few eBooks. $259.00 is still way to much 1/3th is more like it.

• XaiaX

Right, because Apple is known for not letting anyone use bog standard MP3 on their iPods, you can only play music purchased from iTunes.

Oh … wait.

It’ll open PDFs at the very, very, very least. Take your esoterically formatted DC comic book pirated archive and convert it to .pdf. “Problem” solved.

• moritzgedig

hm?
        who said that the iPod doesn’t play MP3 ?
        the trouble is, that some eBook readers only display content from one source.
        iPad might display many formats but it is:
        too expensive and too large
        Aside from the people who will buy anything from Apple, I don’t see a market.
        A product as I discribed it, would be usefull at a price that could be justified.

• wikkum

Mensturation never looked so good.

• Arag0n

Most of the things that this devices does, i can already do them with my smartphone…

The price is lower than people expected but the performance is also much lower…

1Ghz ARM is like a 600Mhz Atom 1st Gen…. and the atom works arround 1.6Ghz and may be dual core…. so, 1.6/0.6 x 2 = 5.33x performance than this device.

Also multitasking, also the device RAM, also the graphic driver, and more…

Really, i feel that apple did an HUGE crap with this device. HP’s tablet was far better. With the same weight improvements, similar battery life, but with an Atom processor and not this crapp. MY PHONE! has a 1Ghz ARM, and i can’t really belive that it’s enought for a full sized applications. I surf web on a 800×480 screen 4.1″. It’s not 9.7″, but really my vision is not as bad and i can place my mobile closer to my eyes than this. Oh, and i forget it extremly more portable. I already have 3G connectivity, and wonder.. I HAVE A MICROUSB PORT THAT ALLOW ME TO CONECT A USB DEVICE! I also have a camera, i can play psx games/mobile games and i can use remote desktop over wifi for a full desktop expirience. I can hear music on the go while i’m doing IM with my friends or playing a psx game/surfing web. Or all them together Surfing+music+IM without any kind of problems.

Really, this dvece it’s not going to do anything that a new smartphone can’t do. It’s just bigger and has higher resolution than an iPhone and the same crapp limitations that mostly other smartphones doesn’t have. WM and Android smartphones may be 800×480 with all it means, and next gen (Sep-Dec 2010), will be HD Ready 1280 x 720. Surely they feel slower on games but holy shit, they have more than two times the iPhone pixels to handle and most of time the aplications are old without OpenGL support. But you can expect much more information per inch than on iPhone…. with the same readable expirience at lower zooming websites than an iPhone, and native 720p video capabilities without downscaling to fit the resolution.

I strongly belive, that while some people will still buying this crapp, because it’s from apple and people sometimes doesn’t know the devices that are already on market or will be on it soon, it’s an extremly disappointing device from apple. They won’t bring any new expirience like they did with the iPhone or Mac, doing easier for most of people to get on copmuters or smartphones. They just done a bigger iPhone to battle against Win7 atom powered tabblets.

With an Atom, MAC OS 10.6, 2Gb RAM and 64Gb SSD this would be a great device, with multitasking, desktop replacement on some office enviroments and more over, but this is just a holy shit.

• poulpy

Any reader with half a brain will stop reading right there: q[<1Ghz ARM is like a 600Mhz Atom 1st Gen<]q Please go and read about the Cortex A9 also featuring in the Tegra2 aka "I run Unreal 3" aka "I'm holding my ground against an Atom clocked 3 times faster".

• Hattig

So you want to pit a 5W (I’m disabling hyperthreading, or it’s 8W) TDP dual-core Atom at 1.6GHz against a 1GHz Cortex A8? They’re not the same class of processors. Not that said Atom system can accelerate video decode unless you attach it to an 11W TDP Ion chipset.

I’ll stick with the ~0.5W ARM SoC thank you.

Anyway, a 1GHz ARM Cortex A9 (in the typical dual-core configuration) will be vastly superior to the 1.6GHz Atom system (hyperthreaded or dual-core). BSN (ugh) says it’s this in the A4, probably made up specs of course, but given the device’s release date, not out of the question at all.

Also read the hands-on articles of the iPad at Engadget and Gizmodo amongst others. They’re gushing over the speed and reactivity of the device.

• glynor

Exactly. And, performance isn’t just a function of the physical capabilities of a chip, but also a function of the way in which a chip is used by the OS.

An Atom running an OS designed for a desktop-class x86 machine hardly compares to a Cortex A9 running an OS designed specifically for an ARM-class device.

• Arag0n

Atom design woult have been able to run MAC OSX, with the same iBooks aplications and some programs designed to improve the touch capabilities would be much more usable than just an iPhone OS with 2 new app’s and zoom apps ability….

I’m sure it would get more power draw, but the device would have been much more usable. They just have made a big phone, not a new device right now. It’s not really diferent from some devices arround from HTC or other usually mobile vendors with 6″ or 8″ screens, the only thing diferent is that they usually get WInMO, Android and apple used iPhone.

I don’t know you, but i was expecting a tablet, a portable computer able to handle with hands and carry it out to work, and place it at house with a keyboard+mouse for common use.

But i can’t agree that a device that cant play music at same time i use IM or I surf web, is able to be talked like a tablet or slate. It’s a third device, with highly focused target on mind with no versatile use.

I’m sorry about the error from the last post, 1Ghz ARM C9 it’s 900Mhz, not 600Mhz atom, i have one! and I know that MIPS are arround 2100, and atom has arround 3600 MIPS, i forgot to compare at the same frequency. The correct result it’s that Atom dual core it’s about 3.5x times faster. And i repeat, i have an snapdragon mobile, i know an arm 1ghz it’s very powerfull, but, with an iPhone OS that doesn’t allow multitask, it’s just crapp.

• [TR]

The real news is that Apple invented a magnification ray!
    Then an accident at the factory made the prototype blow up close to the iPod Touch assembly line and enlarged all the parts for it.
    Jobs, never one to miss a good opportunity, devised a clever use for these parts and the iPad was born!

• spanky1off

i tend to buy anything made by apple as long as its shiny and sports their logo. im going to use this just for mp3 listening. is there some kind of backpack to strap it into for when i go jogging with this?

1 feature i would like to see added later is a cam. i envsion it would aid shaving in a similar fashion to a mirror but with some kind of augmented reality imaging over your face to show bits that have been missed or potential suitable designer beards you could sport in the future. then flick it over to the wife to show her what i looked like preshave. huge wow factor. sadly a missed opportunity.

• dukerjames

will it run far cry 😛

• Stargazer

l[

• Prospero424

Well, I’d certainly buy this over a netbook or a Kindle. But I have no real desire to play PC games or author multi-page documents on ANYTHING this small – be it a tablet form-factor or a netbook form-factor, so maybe I’m just “weird” that way.

I’ve never been one to carry around a laptop with me, either. I’ve tried it, but I always just wind up leaving it at home or at the office or in the car (which I try not to do, so I leave it at home or the office even more).

I want something about the size of a thin hardcover book that I can browse the web on and manage cloud apps and storage on. That means Last.fm/Slacker radio, Dropbox, Google Apps, webmail, MS Exchange integration, etc. And I want something that I can watch 720p videos on.

Did I mention that I hate the netbook form factor? HATE IT. The tiny keyboards and relatively crummy screens turn me off every time.

The only real concerns I have are Apple’s notorious lack of native third-party video format support and browser Flash support. Both of those things could be deal breakers if they’re not fixed.

Also, if a compelling Tegra 2-based tablet from a competitor with a similar form factor comes along with multitasking, etc. and a comparable or better price, I’d probably buy that instead.

Still, I don’t get the seething hate for this thing. Sure, there will probably be better things out there, but the only thing it’s missing that I was expecting was a camera. Other than that, it’s pretty much EXACTLY what I expected from Apple.

• Synchromesh

Was anything in the current product range updated too? Every website I go to is peeing iPad so I couldn’t find much on other stuff.

• pedro

Where’s Adil[

• pedro

Srsly tho’, where’s Adi gonel[

• flybywire

Time to cancel your JooJoo orders! Why anyone would even consider a JooJoo now is beyond me.

• Pax-UX

I think Apple expect this to sell like the iPhone, but its no way hear as interesting a product. They’ve brought nothing new to the table and removed the internet from your pocket and put it back in the bag.

Webcam / Video Conferencing was the magic sauce that could have made this the next step in web communication. That’s the one thing I would have purchased it for… That would make it a proper internet portal joining communities together, but what we get is a one way system it’s Web 1.0. I wonder did any phone companies lend a hand in directing some of the design of this product?

The truly useful mass appeal products today make it easy to bring people together be it either text, voice or video. This does email and most lightly voice.

I kept waiting for the ‘by the way’ moment but it never arrived.

The one positive for Apple is they now have a viable cheap “computer” platform. With a MacBook at 1,000 this is half the price, people can now buy a cheap Apple computer instead of going for someone else’s Desktop or Laptop. You can do some limited but real work on this… this is why the iWork was an important piece of software for them.

• sigher

This definitely needs to find its own niche, if there is one, since it’s not that good for any of the stuff mentioned so far, doesn’t have the required codec for a videoplayer, doesn’t have flash for webbrowser use, doesn’t have a camera as you pointed out, doesn’t have a suitable screen for e-reader use, etcetera etcetera.

But perhaps it will find a use.

• Scrotos

“The one positive for Apple is they now have a viable cheap “computer” platform.”

Mac Mini? Been out for years? Around the same price point? Full-fledged computer (it can play FLASH!) with OS X instead of iPhone OS?

• Usacomp2k3

The price is much better than expected, but the keyboard would suck for typing more than 1 sentence. Uggh.

• WillBach

My fiance is very interested in textbook and PDF reading. Once we know how much we can expect textbooks to cost (or whether or not it’s easy to import 3rd-party eBooks) we’ll know for sure.

I see a lot of comments saying that the battery life will be much less than stated, and that it will be painful to read books on. We won’t know for sure for a while, but my money is betting that those comments are wrong. Apple’s displays and batter life claims have been pretty good lately, IMHO.

• glynor

They’re using the standard epub format for the iBooks app, like is used by Stanza. Importing your own ebooks should be simple. If they go the full-evil and don’t happen to work in the “official” iBooks app (which is unlikely, I’d guess), then you can always get the already-available Stanza app and use it instead.

• thecoldanddarkone

Ehh, the battery life isn’t probably very off for reading text. However, reading on an lcd all day regardless of the lcd (tn, SPVA, S-IPS) can get pretty tiring on the eyes.

• Skrying

The battery life for reading eBooks should be right at the stated amount I would expect. It’s one of the least demanding tasks it can do besides powering the screen.

Reading the screen should be just like reading from a very high quality computer monitor. This is using LED backlit IPS panel, you can’t get much better in quality.

Let the air clear. When new a product launches you have people yelling from both sides, Apple haters and lovers, and are not making a lot of sense at this point.

One note… even on a computer I can’t say I’m a fan of using PDF textbooks. There’s just the usability of a book that is great.

• designerfx

for these aspects, I think you’ll like epub support. tons of stuff in public domain, and lots of free apps to convert things into epub too

• d0g_p00p

It’s called a Kindle and it’s much cheaper.

• reactorfuel

The Apple Newton: so nice, they made it twice.

• cygnus1

++Giant Newton

Hopefully it fails in a giant fashion as well

• Palek

Now why would you HOPE that the iPad will fail?

What is wrong with some people around here? Why get so emotional over a product release?

Get a life!!!

• MadManOriginal

The reason I hope it fails is not because I hate Apple or anything like that but because I don’t want to see a bunch me-too in between pocketable but not as good as an ultraportable tablet formfactor things getting hyped all over the place from every manufacturer. Tablets are not new but all the gadget drooling and hype over what are ultimately toys just makes me a little sick.

• marvelous

This can easily replace the netbooks. It’s lighter and functionality seem much better.

• reactorfuel

Unfortunately for this tablet, netbooks can do far, far more. Even setting aside the lack of multitasking capability (so no worthwhile instant messenger, for instance), a bona fide PC running real honest PC apps is far better than anything as tied down as this giant iTouch.

Want to edit Word, Excel, and Powerpoint files, with every feature of the full Office versions available, on your netbook? There’s an app for that. It’s called Office. Want to play games? There’s an app for that: every PC game written before 2004 or so, plus tons of Flash games, plus just about every casual game ever written, plus emulation of every console up to the N64/PSX level. Want to interface with anything that uses USB? You can do that, too.

Netbooks have sold well because they’re genuine PCs – sure, they’re a bit slow at the heavy lifting, but 90% of the time you don’t need that and you can use a desktop or beefier laptop for the other 10%. This tablet offers less functionality for more money. Despite Jobs’ words, there’s nothing it really does well – it’s either a crippled netbook wannabe, or a silly oversized iTouch.

(by the way, this post was made on a hackintosh netbook, running a genuinely useful mobile OS!)

• marvelous

So it goes back to PC vs MAC issue for YOU it? Why not start writing papers on your i-pad? If this i-pad is capable of writing text it can easily saved for later to be edited in your home PC. All you have to do is copy an paste. Majority of people do not write papers on the road. I don’t know anyone that does. If they do write papers it’s usually at home or in dorm and not on the road.

The fact that this i-pad makes working a computer a breeze is the reason why I said functionality seems to be better. Why would you want to entertain yourself with an underpowered atom PC when you can do that at home and pad for the road.

• Byte Storm

It can’t. It doesn’t have the touch capabilities for that.

• reactorfuel

No, it’s not a PC vs Mac issue; it’s a more-functional versus less-functional issue. Like I said, I’m using a hackintosh netbook right now, and it’s a fantastic little computer. Apple can write a great OS when they put their mind to it, but they really dropped the ball here.

You seem to be coming up with contrived scenarios where the tablet’s better, but unfortunately, a netbook can straight-up replace the tablet for everything you’ve posted. For instance, I’m not going to “entertain myself with an Atom netbook” at home – /[

• Nutmeg

Great post. This is an overpriced, useless piece of shit, a netbook does everything 10x better, for half the cost. Screw Apple.

• XaiaX

There’s a $250 laptop with a touch screen, 100 hour battery life, a 10ghz CPU, and is a tenth of half an inch thick?

Damn.

I want it, link please?

• mcnabney

My $250 netbook has 10x the storage and can run ten applications at the same time. And there are far more than 10x as many potential applications to load on it.

• jjj

somewhat ugly and square but no flash,no multitasking (if it really is true there is no multitasking) and no USB are dealbrakers.

• clhensle

How ergonomic, holding up your ipad for hours, or set it down and bend over it… nice

Kindle at least has an “easy on the eyes” E Ink display. The ipad has a novelty “cool” factor, but when my iphone does not do what I need it to do, I don’t set it down and say, “man I wish my phone was bigger, a giant iphone would solve everything,” no I go to a real computer with a keyboard and mouse.

• Kurotetsu

Yeah, having to hold this thing up or lay it flat and look down are both situations that make this thing a huge turn off (I imagine my neck would agree).

• BoBzeBuilder

It’s like bad April Fools joke. I can’t believe Apple has released this crap. Who’s gonna carry around this oversized iPod? and what for?

• oldDummy

SJ really works the media and, of course, the faithful.
    He’s a visionary and tremendous PR guy.
    Apple would be lost without him.
    That said, don’t understand the hype.

• Jigar

Can i install VOIP application and call it a Giant phone ?

• blastdoor

I’d love to know more about the Apple A4, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple never tells us anything very specific. Really they don’t have to — they’re not selling it to anyone else. Developers only need to know its performance capabilities, not how those capabilities are achieved. Everyone has to go through Apple’s libraries anyway. This might end up being the least understood CPU ever built.

• wira020

I’d guess it’s just an arm cpu or something… with a little tweak of their own…

• wira020

It cost too much for the 3g version… and that’s the only version i see worth getting… 3g just screams mobility to me…

If this thing became a best seller too, then i’d lose all hopes on humanity…

Looking forward for the courier… if it turns out like the video preview, it’d be much more functional and stylish… these is just giant ipod touch not iphone since the lack of gsm… i dont see how microsoft could not release a better tablet since they now have a target to beat…

• [SDG]Mantis

Well…time to wait for a Tegra 2 tablet and see what the production versions look like for features and price.

• Mystic-G

Oh snap it can browse the web!!

I haven’t been able to do that since AOL 6.0

• StashTheVampede

Download the iphone sdk to the ipad and work on apps for the iphone?

• CampinCarl

Wow. Just as expensive as I thought I’d be, and none of the use. Thanks Apple, for proving once again that you suck.

• XaiaX

You should cry louder.

They can’t hear you over the sound of how rich they are.

• danazar

Aww, I was hoping for something slightly better, like “They can’t hear you over the sound of their cash registers ringing.”

Then again they don’t use cash registers in their stores, so nevermind.

• Nibien

Is…is this a joke? A giant iphone?

• wiak

under impressive
    heck no OLED! so not best movie experience!

• provoko

It’s a good looking expensive toy. I don’t see this more useful than other devices people use. I hate that metal they used underneath, it feels horrible to the touch like the shiny macbooks and can scratch easily. I like the white glossy plastic Apple puts on some of their products, that’s what this thing should be made out of.

I’d say Apple can sell a lot of these to rich people. The trendy people will probably be confused whether they need one in addition to an iphone or macbook. I’d just spend the 500 on a PC laptop.

• Corrado

I’ve got a CULV laptop, a Netbook and an iPhone. I’ll probably be picking up an iPad too. 99.9% of my computing needs anymore outside of work are web browsing, IM and email. If I can get a device that will do all that, get 10 hours of battery life, have a GORGEOUS IPS screen, and have a killer UI for < $650 with a 3G connection? Game on, I say. While streaming in the background would be nice, I put up with it on my iPhone and I’d put up with it on my iPad. You can switch out of the web browser and go right back to where you were. You can switch out of the email prog and go back to where you were. Sure its not exactly alt-tabbing between active apps but its good enough for me. If someone makes an RDP app that utilizes the entire screen real estate and not just the upscaled iPhone res, this thing will be AWESOME for me at work when I go into the data center.

• Galvnze

Its…not…an…e-reader! Why does Apple think a 10-hour battery powered, back-lit device can compare to something that sips energy and looks like paper? This is basically an over-sized iTouch. Who, exactly, ordered that one Steve? Because I’ve never looked at my iTouch and said, “Wow I wish this was 300% bigger or I might enjoy it!”

If anything, this should have had a built-in camera so you could at least Skype with it. Then you could hang it on a wall and live out a Star Trek fantasy or something. But a 9″ screen running Bloxx I don’t really need.

• designerfx

they think it’s going to be something that realistically runs for about 4 hours.

no way people will use it for 10 hours, or that it’ll hold up for even remotely close to that with a weight of 1.5 lbs. I predict less than 2 hours under heavy load – you’re easily not going to get a full dvd playback out of it.
      pitiful video output, no usb ports, no multitasking, no flash, $500 minimum (even more if you want 3g capability- let alone even more for actual 3g service)? pass.

a netbook can do way more than this, and for less money. Toshiba S1120 does way more, and for tablets – android archos 5 has the same functionality for considerably less (with usb ports, video output, and 500GB for around $450)

• Corrado

They specifically said you can watch video on a flight from LA to Tokyo without recharging.

And yes, I’ve looked at my iPhone plenty and said ‘I wish this had 10″ 720p-ish resolution so I could browse websites properly’.

• BiffStroganoffsky

Definitely cements Apple’s reputation as makers of feminine-esque products…iPad. ‘I lost my iPad in the john…did anyone find my iPad?’ Maybe they should update their image by making something more ‘masculine’…iBalls – 3G Ben-Wa balls. Vibrate mode is the only option.

• JdL

No, it’s not a Phone. 3G is data only. Also there’s no camera.

• wira020

That is just what i’m thinking.. it’s a giant ipod touch…

• glynor

Error in your story, Cyril. It supports Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, not Bluetooth 2.0.

• SNM

I work 2 hours/day on my commute in and out of the office. Unfortunately as a software dev I need a real keyboard, and I use X Windows a lot — but if I did office work I’d be all over this if the iWork apps are as useful and full-featured as they look to be.

• Bombadil

Apple showed a desktop keyboard dock. Someone will likely develop a cheap attachable USB keyboard/hinge for it. I wouldn’t trade my Eee PC 1000HA for it, but I am not an iTunes consumer (slave?) either.

• glynor

In addition to the available keyboard dock, it does work with any Bluetooth keyboard (confirmed by Engadget at the hands-on) and there is a Dock Connector adapter with mini USB and a SD slot.

• Bombadil

My new CULV laptop has a awful 11.6″ LCD. Even the 7″ LCD on my $100 Delstar DS700 is much better. The Apple iPad might suck, but maybe highlighting IPS might help consumers. Of course even the 24″ H-IPS in my iMac looks like junk compared to a cheap CRT. What ever happened to the AMOLED rumor?

• Skrying

The price is impressive. Capactive touch screens, especially of this price, are not cheap. They’re not making near the same amount of profit on this as they are on the iPhone 3GS (which is the same as every other smartphone manufacturer, btw).

• elty

Price is only impressive because it is from Apple which is famous for the Apple Tax. This thing is still $100 more than a good netbook, and $250 more than a basic one.

I don’t think this can replace a ebook reader, because it is very uncomfortable to read on a screen that actively emits light. I won’t want to read anything on it for more than 30 minutes.

But anyways, why can’t this thing multi task? You have a big screen, and all you can do is run one app at a time. Lame.

• Neutronbeam

So the Kindle kills printed books, but the iPad kills the Kindle and netbooks, but the Kindle saves magazine and newspaper publishers…I think my train of predatory evolutionary thought just left the station with empty cars.

• NeelyCam

And still it ran off the tracks just north of Cupertino

• PRIME1

The extra $130 for a sim card seems pricey.

• nagashi

Yes, it does. But it’s fairly comparable to adding that option onto a notebook from Dell. Maybe that means that Dell is a ripoff as well.

• ericfulmer

The price is better than expected, but I still can’t see holding this thing up for hours while reading or watching a movie. 1.5 lbs seems heavy to me.

No wireless syncing?

Browser lacks Flash? I know we all love to hate on Flash but that’s what we’ve got to work with, leaving it out is a terrible decision. So can it even do Youtube or Hulu reasonably well?

• provoko

I guess that makes a netbook better than.

• End User

YouTube serves up video in H.264 in addition to Flash. They’re also experimenting with HTML5 “for most videos”.

The sooner we move away from Flash the better.

• MadManOriginal

Yeah well that doesn’t help the -[

• wira020

ipad 3GS or ipad HD?… i’d say they could have just released the 3gS version now…

• Palek

Youtube has always had a separate “app” on hte iPhone and I’d expect that to remain. It accesses Youtube videos in H.264 rahter than flash and streams them that way. It works pretty well.

• MadManOriginal

I see. I guess that’s good for Youtube, are all videos available in h.264? I just don’t see excluding Flash entirely as making any sense on a device meant to be released soon.

• Skrying

Technically yes. They’re on that way on the YouTube servers. YouTube hasn’t starting using HTML5 on videos that have ads shown during them. All others I’ve encountered using Chrome have been via HTML5. It’s a really big and nice improvement. Not just CPU usage but speed of download but it responds much better to time jumps.

• End User

Apple supports open standards. Flash is not an open standard. Apple will never support Flash.

• MadManOriginal

Wow, never? Must suck for all those people with Macs that wanted to use Flash stuff :p btw…Quicktime?

• thecoldanddarkone

I can’t believe he actually wrote that, lol. haha.

• MadManOriginal

I know, and the implication that Apple loves openness, while true in some cases of certain standards, is completely laughable in many more ways.

• End User

I’d like to see Quicktime share the same death as Flash.

• outcast

The lack of flash is expected, too many free flash applications and games to compete with the app store.

• Jive

“250GB a month for $14.99 and unlimited for $29.99.”

Its 250MB a month, not GB.

• Cyril

Right. I knew that, too. Blame my fingers. 😉

• blastdoor

The price really is impressive.

Apple should offer “back to my mac” through this thing on MobileMe — it could act as a terminal to your home computer. Then you could really take this on the road without any need for a laptop. Of course, even if Apple doesn’t offer that, third parties can provide VNC clients (and they already do for the iPhone).

• provoko

It’s 200 dollars more than a netbook and offers less. If this had OS 10.4/5 then I’d say it was an impressive price.

• Corrado

But it offers 1/2 to 2/3 the weight of a netbook with a much better user experience. I would use my netbook a LOT more if there was an OS that was properly designed for the resolution and size of the screen. Unfortunately all of the linux distros that claim to do this… suck and are buggy as hell. Maybe Android can be used more properly in this regard, but I don’t see any such devices on the horizon right now. I don’t want this because its Apple, I want this because it actually does do everything I want (outside of Flash. Flash would be awesome).

• Farting Bob

You say that none of the linux distros or XP were designed with the screensize of a netbook in mind, but you then say the OS that was designed specifically for a phone is perfect for a 10″ screen? So wheres the multitasking? I can and do have 4 or 5 things running on ubuntu sometimes, on my 10″ netbook and dont have any complaints.

• Byte Storm

Since it can run IPhone Apps, you could use LogMeIn Ignition too

• End User

Outstanding! I was worried it would be north of $1,000!