Poll: Apple’s iPad: Hot or not?

So, Steve Jobs finally descended from Mount Horeb took the stage at San Francisco’s Yerba Buena Center for the Arts and delivered his tablet device to the faithful earlier today. We’ve gone over the specifications and features in this afternoon’s news post, but we’re now curious to gauge reception amongst TR’s loyal readership. Time for a new poll!

Today’s poll topic is simple: is the Apple iPad hot or not? Do you think the device can fulfill Steve Jobs’ ambition of bridging the gap between smart phones by creating a new category of products? Is the iPad little more than an oversized iPod touch with an impractical interface? Or does it fall somewhere in between? Feel free to vote either below or on our front page.

You’ve probably seen the results from our previous poll already. Turns out 52% of TR gerbils wear blue jeans to their school or job—who would’ve imagined? The remaining 48% are split up between khakis (18%), slacks (10%), suit pants (7%), and other garments. Oh, and almost one percent of participants say they wear their boxers all day.

• pullmyfoot

I think its kinda neat. BUt it has a terrible terrible terrible terrible name.

Even then I still wouldnt buy it.

• PeterD

Apple is luxury for people who can’t afford real luxury.
    Everybody knows Apple is too expensive. People who buy it, buy it because it is expensive, because they want to feel part of the big boys.
    And, honestly, if you only havce to pay 500 bucks to feel part of the big boys… then it’s a real bargain.
    And you can take it with you to show off.
    Compare that with buying a real luxury car for tens of thousands of dollars.
    Or a real good painting, which is also at least twenty thousand dollars.
    Well, then you see that Apple is cheap shit, getting sold because it gives small people the idea the are big people.
    iSteve is not that stupid.

• paulWTAMU

So, you know nothing about art either? Good to see that trend continue.

• tfp
    • billyconnection

Another iDevice to make you a slave to Steve Jobs’s content, hardware, and software marketing campaigns. The good idea is there, but restricted. No thank you, I will not drink the cool-aid. Got to thank Apple for paving the way… to a device someone else will make as it should of and could of been in the first place.

Where’s the camera? That was soo stupid it’s obvious. That’ll be in iPad 3GS, so you upgrade later. Damn you iJobs. I’ll take a Verizon “Droid” over iPhone anyday, and whatever “pad” that comes after this shiny toy.

• muyuubyou

The problem being that Apple will sue the hell out of anyone else trying to make this device for cheaper, which is why there is no multitouch in Android devices thus far and they suck compared to the iPhone (I have a Hero… my bro has an iPhone and honestly… no comparison).

I’m afraid only big players with big pockets and a legion of lawyers can even think of doing something similar.

• spartus4

i(Maxi)Pad….

• My Johnson

I’m not about to bet against Apple and if I had the budget I’d pick one up.

• tomsegundo

Put me in the “meh” column, too.

It feels like Apple was in a rush to get a product out (hence the underwhelming screen and lack of multitasking). Maybe Apple doesn’t want maturing netbooks and Google’s OS defining a market out from under them.

• ludi

They should have gone with the iSlate option. Maybe they couldn’t get Microsoft to let that one slide by without a fight, but iPad? Yikes. Even iLife or iMuse or iPwn or /[

• JdL

I like iPwn 🙂 Maybe ASUS will brand its tablet that.

• sigher

I don’t have one, and don’t want one.

• Arag0n

I guess you are wrong. If a 5% of the USA population sees the iPad like an awsome device, it’s like 15 million sells. Then, think about european and other markets, and you have about 20-30 million sells for a device, that it’s a crap, but from business and marketing prespective it’s a success.

• Lans

Since when did geeks every ruled the world? Look at who made the A-bomb and who gets to decide to use it or not! 😉

Also it seems this time there is even criticism from Apple fanbois.

You can call me anti-Apple all you want and I don’t give a damn! I’ll continue to dislike Apple so long as they go through extreme lengths to limit how I can use the hardware I bought! Personally, at $500+ I expect alot more functionality that can be found on netbooks. The iPad wants to be a Kindle killer but it seem to even have failed at that! There is the 10hrs vs. 1week battery life and unless there are tons of books with color pictures, the iPad color display is a total waste!

Finally, Apple is no longer the only game in town! There was already tons of rumors there will be other tablet PCs coming out and the MSI one from yesterday’s shortbread doesn’t look too bad for competition in term of form factor (hopefully a lot more freedom and versatility).

• sabrewulf165

I think you meant to say “TR /[

• pullmyfoot

Looks good but has a terrible terrible name

• puppetworx

Nevermind the hype, the hatred people are pouring out about this device is phenomenal. Like Apple or not, developing a complete device like this is great innovation and shouldn’t be poo-poo’d.

It’s a new category. It’s a netlet or a coffee table PC or a social computer. It’s breaking boundaries whatever it is.

It’s a complete product. Meaning every detail has been considered for the average user. As Leo Laporte said it gets the computer out of the way of the thing you want to do. It’s a locked down ecosystem but that’s an advantage in many respects.

It’s a product which will sell. Not to everyone, but for those who share the ideals which Apple maintains this is a complete, polished and groundbreaking device.

• Tamale

I don’t know about everyone else, but I’m poo-pooing it because it ISN’T anything new. It’s the exact same device as an ipod touch, only bigger.

It’s the exact same as a netbook without the all-important physical keyboard.

It’s the exact same as the tablets we’ve seen for years except you can’t even use a stylus to actually take notes and write! wtf!?

Compared to everything else out there, it’s the most similar to e-book readers like the kindle and jetbook, yet it completely fails at that too since it still uses a glossy screen that destroys its battery life and readability outdoors, and you can’t turn the pages easily by holding it in one hand!

I was honestly hoping for something new, and it failed to deliver ANYTHING I haven’t seen already. Heck, even the HP slate and archos tablets look better in comparison.

If at the very least it had the best pen-writing / note taking ability of any device that’s tried to do that ever before, I would’ve been pretty stoked. If any company had managed to do a *real* tablet right, I thought it would’ve been apple, and they completely let me down.

• puppetworx

I don’t think the device was meant to be a *real* tablet, but something new. If you can create a market category – create a niche – you will milk the rewards so much more then if do the same as what everyone else is trying.

This is a natural ereading, web browsing, emailing, video watching device. It’s about leisurely consumption of technology based entertainment wherever you are. It is essentially just a big iPod touch and that’s what makes it leisurely.

I understand the disappontment that it’s not a tablet, but that doesn’t make it a bad device.

• Irascible

Exactly right. This is a consumer electronics leisure and entertainment device first. On that front it *may* be a homerun. TR’s audience wants some kind of netbook. On that front it is the diagonal of fail.

• donkeycrock

While i wouldn’t buy one, i have zero need for it. I do see this a the next step into making something really great. One day every person will carry around something similar to this but is as thin as Plexiglas, light as a feather, the screen is as big as the device and the battery life is 50 hours and is solar rechargeable.
    I commend apple for pushing forward technology. Just think where we’d be if apple hadn’t come out with the iphone… we’d be stuck with crappy flip phones still.

I could see this useful for a person that travels alot.

• dpaus

l[

• PeterD

Typical Apple: expensive gadget.

• poulpy

I’m not too sure why so many are complaining about the format, and troubles of reading something laying flat and/or that you have to hold, given that we all -I suspect, might be wrong here- have coped very well with newspapers, books, etc since we were kids..?

Roughly the weight of your average book it shouldn’t be a problem to: hold it slightly tilted, let it rest flat on the table, let it rest on something like your knees/a book/a pillow, etc..

Plus this won’t sag like a newspaper nor you’ll have to fight the rebel pages of a book that just want to turn away.

• ssway

If they had added USB or an SD slot this would have made for a perfect companion to Digital cameras. Imagine you’re on a trip with your wife and taking photos during the day and want to enjoy them on the train or back in the hotel room. You could have easily popped your SD card into the iPad and copied your photos/videos over to enjoy and upload to youtube, flickr, facebook, etc. A whole ball of fail IMO.

• Fighterpilot

I voted epic fail and hereby rename it the…iPhad

• hubick

Winner!

I know a lot of non-geek types (hi mom) who don’t do the smart-phone thing, whose desktop computer mostly sits unused in the office, who just browse the web, maybe watch an occasional YouTube, read Hotmail, and would be well served by something like this (with keyboard dock) as their sole home computing device.

I think most people should keep a desktop computer in the office for doing work, if you need it, do gaming on the console hooked up to your big screen TV, and for everything else is this.

The smart phone needs to fit in your pocket, but nobody really wants to surf the web on that tiny phone screen while at home.

And nobody wants to curl up in bed Sunday morning with a blanky and a big hot ass laptop with a clumsy unneeded keyboard either. Netbooks are equally unsexy. The touch-screen is key here.

The Kindle? Why pay to purchase another device with a perfectly good screen and CPU if you can’t surf the net or watch video’s on it? Hardware that specialized is just stupid. E-Ink may be nice, but most people are OK reading text all day long on computer screens, so it isn’t needed *that* badly.

• ET3D

So what’s wrong with a netbook? You can get a netbook with a higher resolution for a lower price, and it already has a keyboard.

• hubick

Just like I said, no touch screen. When curled up reading, you don’t want to be fiddling with a trackball, pointer, or mouse – you just want to push your finger on the link on the screen. Likewise for scrolling and zooming – the touch interface is an order of magnitude better.

And the keyboard is a loser too – a clamshell style device is clumsy and comparatively large – it just doesn’t facilitate getting comfy in bed or on the sofa with your blanky the same way the tablet could. The 10″ display puts the device at the larger end of desirable already (larger than most physical books) – a keyboard would pretty much double the surface area of the device splayed out on your pillow – and for no reason – this device is mostly for consuming media – if you are really gonna do a lot of typing, work or email, go use your desktop PC, or take the tablet to a desk where you have the hardware keyboard+doc. The extent of most people’s Sunday-morning-in-bed typing won’t be much more than the occasional website password, and maybe a “lol” at their friends Facebook status – and an on screen touch keyboard works well enough for that.

It’s sexy, it just feels less “computery”. Don’t underestimate that.

And, sure, Apple markets this like you could do work on it, and I’m sure you could, in a pinch, but I really don’t think that’s where this will shine.

• Farting Bob

So your lounging in bed on a sunday morning. Your other half if using a netbook, which thanks to wonders of design will sit on a duvet and have the screen vertical, facing her.
          On the other hand you are lying in bed next to your other half constantly trying to get comfy whilst having to hold the screen still at a viewable angle. Your other half can have a drink whilst using her laptop because you dont need to use one of your hands just to hold it up. Then they can show off by using more than 1 program at the same time, something which apparently $500 doesnt get you these days.

In bed, id rather use a laptop.

• larchy

OP – you can’t watch Youtube on it because it doesn’t support flash

• vortigern_red

No, you can watch youtube on it but you are correct it does not support flash.

Steve even showed some youtube during the iPad presentation.

• Kulith

Writing an email on it will change your mind in a heartbeat, I’m sure.

• ew

• mav451

Lol at the rise in views since today.

• VILLAIN_xx

I saw this link coming from a mile away. 🙂

Thanks to this skit I never really imagine the way others see the ipad.

• Tamale

soooo much more awesome.. nice link

• Saber Cherry

This poll has no “Sounds like overpriced junk” option – all options are too positive.

9.7″ diagonal of fail is too positive?

• Tibba

I first read the OP as “descended from Mount Herb” and had a hearty chuckle. You totally know SJ smokes pot.

• MadManOriginal

The term ‘medical marijuana’ is much preferred. But yeah he probably gets baked on occasion.

• Thanato

Will they sell pants with bigger pockets for an I-Pad.

You guys are dopes. This thing will sell a gazillion units. It’s not about whether or not you like it, it’s about whether or not it’ll sell. It’s a clear home run in my book, even though I don’t really want one.

• BoBzeBuilder

I just don’t see how it’s going to sell gizgilibizilions. iPhone was a great product and a good buy for Apple fanboys and haters alike. This isn’t a wise investment for either parties.
      Just my thoughts.

• crsh1976

I don’t get the oversized iPod Touch thing, this is a “lifestyle” device that totally escapes my fancy; if you already use an iPhone, you clearly have no use for this at all.

• roont

If I was fourteen feet tall and my finger completely covered the screen on an iphone i might get one of these.

• d2brothe

I’d love to know how its better at any of those things (except ebooks) than a dedicated PC. I love how Jobs claimed it was the best internet browsing experience. Personally, my 24 inch monitor attached to my multi-tasking PC with flash support says otherwise.

• MadManOriginal

What’s funny about that statement is that it implies that all other Apple products provide worse web browsing experience too! It’s pure marketing hype hyperbole, nothing more. If this thing sells like hotcakes it will just prove that there are way too many irrational people with a little too much money who can’t think for themselves or see through a sales pitch.

• wira020

And people who need to get laid… seriously…

• designerfx

actually in the same boat, I’d love to see which of these features are not done as equally well on apple’s own other products?

iphone and ipod, specifically.

• Mondos

No flash support=major fail.

• hubick

I think we should all quit installing that Flash crap and put up with a year or two of pain, until websites quit using it in favour of better and more open alternatives like HTML5 (video and canvas) and SVG. We are seeing more and more browsers without Flash support, so hopefully we are headed in that direction. I won’t even touch that stuff under my 64bit Linux desktop – not just because it’s proprietary and closed source, but because it’s a crashy pile of crap.

• w00tstock

Hows your tinfoil hat?

• danieldasilva

I guess I just don’t get this thing. It’s just like… an oversized iphone/ipod touch. Whoever has an iphone or ipod touch already is not going to be compelled to buy a device that does pretty much the same thing, but is not as mobile. Whoever needs a full blown mobile computing device is not going to be compelled to buy this neither, main killer being the lack of multitasking imho. I could be wrong, but I think Apple shot themselves in the foot with this ipad. Oh, and the name is terrible.

• FuturePastNow

The dealbreaker for me, I suppose, is video codec support. If we can get a player like VLC ported on to there, or just more codecs for Apple’s video app, that would be great.

I’d buy it if I could watch all of my video collection on it. Life’s too short to transcode everything.

• sschaem

ipad a bad name ? how about ipod?
      Didn’t stop them from selling 250 millions of them.

• sweatshopking

there is a vlcforiphone, but you would need to jailbreak this thing to run it. vlc on my touch is badass. as i have a touch, i automatically have no reason to buy this device.

The key is getting those codecs into Quicktime – this will do anything that Quicktime can. I wish Apple made Quicktime more of a one-stop shop for codecs.

• JdL

Couple of comments from a software developer and hardware guy:

First off, I think Apple is targeting the HUGE number of first-movers / consumers it has created with recent product releases: iPhone, iPod touch, etc. I am predicting that they could easily sell 10 million units by the end of this year. Maybe more. Consider the fact that the LIVE event, closed doors – no video and all, was watched closely by over 1 million people. Many blogs and even Twitter was shut down at one point or another from all the traffic.

Most current iPhone users are not satisfied with iPhone’s capabilities to do things like email, surf the web, watch videos, and manage / display photos. iPad improves on that experience significantly. It will be an easy transition for such users. For those tasks, 3G or mobile access are not actually that important. You can’t exactly pull up an iPad while driving after all.

Last piece of business: price. $499 is exactly what I had predicted the iPad needed several weeks ago in order to be successful. This is a price point where people tend to choose a basic internet / email / photo / multimedia laptop. In the case of iPad, you get all that, with gaming and book reading thrown in as bonuses. If you plan to be a heavy user and need a real keyboard, there’s an [att]achment for that. (another prediction while I’m at it: “there’s an ‘att’ for that” is going to be the next big catchphrase)

Netbooks are a great option and for many it will be a hard choice between the two. The experience and quality of the iPad, or the cost-effectiveness and “small” sacrifices of a netbook? For what it’s worth — there is room for both in the market 🙂

When looking at the features, here is a First important point: All the extra space iPad has over the iPhone. What else could they have fit in there? Need to finish going through SDK 3.2, but even then I think it’s too early to tell.

Lack of Flash is not a drawback, it’s a feature. Flash performance is horrible, and on devices with a limited number of thread-processing capability, it’s enough to bring it to its knees. Apple’s stance makes sense: Fix Flash, dang it all!

Screen rez is a bit odd, but not dysfunctional. I think that the IPS capability more than makes up for the 4:3 wierdness.

Did I mention IPS? Freaking awesome.

Multitasking: This is a common complaint. Any ever notice how most people complaining about it don’t even have an iPhone? Most apps remember what screen you were on and because everything loads from very fast flash memory, it feels like multitasking.

Big bezel? A feature for humans who have to hold it. What else could you do?

No Cameras? Definitely a drawback especially for video. So much for dreams of video conferencing.

No video outs? WiDi somewhere in the future? HDTV transmitter?

No voice over 3G. Again, I’m left wondering what else is under the covers.

So, the last question is, how long before Verizon comes out with a WiFi router / 3G bridge device?

• provoko

I only read excuses. I now realize the ipad is more incomplete. There’s an attachment for that?? Hey, I’ll stick with my feature rich netbook that cost less.

• leor

anything based on atom is unusable. anyone who says different is full of it or very, very patient. I bought a pinetrail netbook, and returned it a week later. I will never, ever buy anything based on atom.

• albundy

it *could* make a good office frisbee. all i see is a giant iphone, which makes me ask, what has really changed besides it no longer being pocket-able? i mean, they make remotes that big for retards at my Walgreen’s, so does this transpose the same way? besides making it impossible to type normally unless its laying flat, direct sunlight should make it alot easier to see, right? i guess iJobs should have taken a look at HP’s and Fujitsu’s tablet’s pros and cons. and whats with the super huge bezel? anywhoo, enough of my ranting. I’ll let the reviewers dissect this thing.

• Namarrgon

Biggest problem? It doesn’t lie flat.

Stick it on a table, start typing or poking at it, and it wobbles around. The back is too curved (a la newer iPhones). So you kinda have to hold it while using it, which means either in your lap or holding it up (and at 1.5lbs, that’ll get tiring).

• thecoldanddarkone

No, you buy the black casing. You never want to type on an object laying flat while your looking at it. It’s annoying and it hurts the neck. In fact if someone buys the ipad without it, they are going to regret that decision.

edit clarification

• PainIs4ThaWeak

l[

• [TR]

Thinking about it, how hard would it be to include little keyboard-like retractable feet on three corners and three rubber pads to steady the thing on the corners diagonally opposed to those?
          Then you could have it at a keyboard style slant, at least, in either vertical or horizontal configuration.

• provoko

hahaha, what a joke

• Voldenuit

Hit for me. At $499, I think this will totally kill the kindle (Kindle DX at $489). Sure, the e-ink on the kindle may be easier on the eyes, but this has colour and the ability to play movies! And it’s *IPS*!

Misses are the low resolution screen, lack of media container support, and lack of multitasking in iPhone OS 3.2. Oh, and a stylus and handwriting support would have been nice, which would have relegated this device from ‘couch gadget’ to useful work/study tool.

• Anomymous Gerbil

You forgot to compare Kindle versus iPad battery life.

• Voldenuit

Well, I can’t read for 10 hours without getting tired. So clearly something is wrong with me.

• djgandy

Cumulatively you can read for 10 hours right?

Oh and size, the kindle is far smaller than this. You can walk around with the kindle in your hand and read it in the daylight. I’d like to see people reading with the sun bouncing off this…

• Thresher

Soooooo close to being awesome. Price point is good, but 16GB is kind of a weak starting point. I would really like to see more information about streaming from iTunes, so that you can watch your video or listen you your music anywhere in your house (or with Slingbox, over cellular network). That would make the 16GB a non-issue.

I suspect someone will come out with an app for that. I also imagine a company like elGato will come out with a TV tuner and app so you can stream from your Mac. For PC users, Hauppauge could do the same.

• blastdoor

One more thought… the reaction to this is very reminiscent of the initial reaction to the iPod. Jobs came out making the iPod sound like some revolutionary device and everybody was “uh… it’s just an overpriced mp3 player.” I know I didn’t buy an iPod until the nano came out. I could see this being a similar story — slow start, but eventually becomes a very big deal.

• blastdoor

I voted good, but not great. It has promise, but some rough edges as others have observed. I think a lack of multi-tasking on the iPhone is tolerable, but on this device its absence will be more keenly felt. I probably won’t really consider getting one until that issue is resolved. I also want to wait to see if developers embrace the device — without developer support, there’s no point to buying this instead of an iPhone or Touch.

Another big question I have is about file management. I’m inferring that files are still organized around specific apps — for example, you can only access Pages files from Pages, Numbers files from Numbers, etc. But I think that could become pretty frustrating. On a device like this, I would probably want to access files based on their content/purpose, not based on what app they are associated with. For example, maybe I have a PDF, a book, and a word doc that all relate to a specific topic of interest to me (for example, a project at work). I’d want to group those files together, but it doesn’t look like that would be possible here. This relates closely to the multi-tasking issue, too — I might want to quickly switch back and forth between these documents, and that requires multitasking.

Hopefully OS4 will address some of the rough edges, but I suspect I won’t seriously consider buying this until version 2 comes out (presumably summer 2011). I just hope that Apple doesn’t give up on this device or relegate it to “hobby” status if the first year sales aren’t everything that they’re hoping for. This is going to be a tough nut to crack — they need to be willing to really fight for this one.

• PRIME1

I voted… meh

-It’s a giant iPod touch with a super absorbent name.
    -expensive to add 3G
    -weak system specs

Other than that it’s still not a bad gadget and better than an e-reader (not counting battery life).

It seems a netbook might be a better option for some, because of the keyboard, flash support and more robust hardware.

At $499 it’s not too steep a price to just buy as a toy (well for people with far more money that me).

• adam1378

Its a start in a new direction, soon it will lead to thin oled panels like in Avatar.

• jdaven

Like the iPad or not, it is still generating hype. Already almost 200 comments on TR alone amongst three stories not to mention the hits and comments on other sites like Engadget.

Whether or not you are an Apple fan, Steve Jobs can really get us talking on the interwebs. Must be a result of our media addled minds.

• Tamale

I voted 9.7″ inches of fail.. hilarious option naming by the way..

but seriously, they missed so many opportunities I don’t know where to begin!

How about the simple lack of a usb port or hdmi out? I’d think the absolutely neatest way to use something like this would be to have the perfect little HTPC. Stream your videos from wherever and plug this sucker right into a 52″ HDTV. It’d also be the best little booger for showing off new pictures and videos, but there’s no USB or SD slot to make that easy!

Worse yet is the fact that in pretty much every category this thing MIGHT be neat, it’s totally trumped by much cheaper hardware. For actual computing, a $450 dual-core ultraportable with a SU2300 would kick its ass, and for reading books a kindle, nook, or jetbook is way better (mainly because of the e-ink and battery life)

Ok, so maybe it’d rock at gaming. Cool, but $500 is a helluva lot for a gaming tablet that doesn’t even have some extra controls! Where are the side buttons / joysticks? You can’t play every game out there with just a touch screen and accelerometer!

This is beyond what I’d even expect from Apple.. which is saying a lot.

• KoolAidMan

It has a USB adapter as well as DVI and component video output adapters.

Paper specs are kind of irrelevant after you see the hands on videos of it in action. This thing opens up applications, images, etc, far smoother than any netbook with slow 2.5″ HD that I’ve seen running Windows 7 or XP.

I agree on the book thing though, e-ink is ideal for that one purpose. I have no idea if I’m buying this but I know that my Kindle isn’t going anywhere even if I do get one.

• Tamale

I don’t know about you, but having to carry around extra things to make basic functionality a possibility is inexcusable for me. Everyone else in the industry is able to get micro SD slots into much smaller form factors.. apple’s refusal to do so simply rubs me the wrong way and kills their products’ usefulness to me.

• crsh1976

“This thing opens up applications, images, etc, far smoother than any netbook with slow 2.5″ HD that I’ve seen running Windows 7 or XP.”

Well duh, it’s running a lightweight mobile OS, if it were slow at it it’d be an absolute piece of junk.

• Krogoth

Apple, I am disappoint son.

Your next “big hit” is just an iPhone on steroids?

I think Ipad will become the next Newton.

• MadManOriginal

As if you would not have been disappointed regardless of what it was like 😉

• SecretMaster

Instead of “9.7” diagonal of fail” as an option, Cyril should have just named the category “Krogoth” in honor of you.

• MadManOriginal

I wanted to vote 9.7″ of diagonal fail because I always like to vote for the funny option but I voted for a bit of a disappointment instead.

• SecretMaster

I think the real story here is that TR’s previous poll only ran for an unprecedented 3 days. Surely there are some people cursing in their boxers at their inability to vote in time.

• MadManOriginal

Fortunately there is a ‘More Polls…’ link on the frontpage. Don’t worry boxer-as-pants people, your voice will be heard!

• SecretMaster

Wowee I always thought they were closed once a new poll started. Hooray!

• Swollen_Goat

I can’t wait to soak up the iPad like a human tampon.

• HisDivineShadow

I chose a bit of disappointment.

I think an ipod touch with a data plan option (but no phone) would do better. I think lots of people would give up the “joy” of having an iphone if they could just have the ipod touch functionality with the constant-on 3g internet option without a contract. Perhaps that’s what they’re testing the waters on.

I think this iPad (with the absolute worst of the names that were bandied about) is disappointing because:

1) Doublecharge for iPad apps versus iPhone/iPod Touch apps when they should be the same apps and have them scale between the two devices so the platform is the same.
    2) No camera for standardized camera use on future ipod touch/iphones (assuming ipod touch gets camera with the next update).
    3) AT&T? Again? C’mon Apple?
    4) I’m not convinced that iPad will sell enough to warrant having its own apps and developers will now be splitting their resources between iPad vs iPod Touch/iPhone, adding development resources, subtracting time, and costing developers even more money. Thanks, Apple.
    5) Shiny, reflective screens to read books on? Yes, sometimes you want to read your book in the dark. Sadly, many times you want to read your book in the sun. Good luck.
    6) 16GB for $500? Yes, it’s much lower than anyone expected, but no wonder… 16 GB? A netbook would be <$200 at that size and you know the hardware can’t be that expensive to manufacture.
    7) iPad sounds like a tampon. I hope the absorbancy is up to snuff.
    8) Who is going to carry an iPad around with them from place to place? Which device makes more sense having a 3G non-contract option on: ipod touch or iPad? iPod Touch is an ideal device for travel and portability due to its ability to fit in pockets and take up little space. iPad is the ideal device to use at home, however, so …why 3G? Why force people who want data everywhere to either go horrendously expensive and AT&T OR go huge and ideal data plan? Why not give people the options they *want*, Apple?
    9) Looking into your iPad and asking, “Mirror, mirror on the wall, who’s the fairest of them all?”
    10) Still no multitasking, still no wifi sync? wtf

• jdaven

I also choose a bit of a disappointment. I definitely could not design and build one myself so I give kudos to Apple for trying. But iPad 1.0 is definitely missing some features that are a must. I’ll wait for iPad 2.0 (if I ever decide to get one).

• SNM

What do you mean doublecharge for apps? I don’t think too many developers are going to have different versions for the different devices; they’ll just build them resolution-independent.

• HisDivineShadow

Everything I’ve read so far that iPod Touch/iPhone games will work on the iPad but look crappy. So far so good.

But every iPad game will be sold separately from iPod Touch/iPhone versions, meaning you buy one but you don’t get both.

Dividing the games into iPad-compatible iPhone/iPod Touch vs iPad-only games.

Even the same game, but with the assets and ability to take full advantage of the iPad (ie., NOVA iPad) will be a separate download/purchase from the original iPod Touch/iPhone version.

You own an iPad, you own an iPhone. You want to play NOVA on your iPhone and your iPad. You can either have terrible resolution on your iPad or you can buy it for both. My opinion is that iTunes should be one platform and that the game should just scale between the two devices.

Maybe I just hoped for too much? 😛

• MadManOriginal

A 3G Touch would be quite a fantastic little device.

• lilbuddhaman

I would rather see this as high tech mousepad / macropad, something like Star Trek Next Generation, where I can control stuff with it, and occasionally bring up pictures and whatnot…

but as a standalone device:
    It doesn’t surf the web as well.
    It doesn’t have buttons for games.
    It doesn’t have an e-ink screen for long reading sessions.
    It won’t last 10 hours while doing anything cpu intensive ( such as playing back H264 encoded movies )

If I won one, or found one (read: stole) I would be happy with it, but my own cash, or a relative/friends cash… better spent on something else.

• eckslax

I like the concept and the price isn’t nearly as horrible as I thought it would be, but I think I’ll wait for the second or third generation. No multitasking and being locked down to only running programs obtained from the app store make it a no-go for me right now. I could see myself buying one of these once some of the kinks have been worked out and features have expanded a bit.

• Pax-UX

Well it took Moss two trips up the mountain before it was right! XD

• Farting Bob

It will sell by the truck load, although i cant think of many uses for it and products like it. As big as a netbook, but less versatile (touch screen is not as useful in real life as a keyboard, it just looks nice in demos and in the shop) and more expensive.
    At the end of the day most people who would want this probably already have an iphone, which does more, is cheaper, more portable etc. The larger screen will only be a benefit on some occasions, while the size compared to a iphone will be a disadvantage most of the time.

• JrezIN

No standard USB connection and software requirements means fail automatically… no words about multitasking, no displayport, adapters and more adapters… the software and data plans may be kinda good, but it doesn’t matter when accessing and charging your device is a pain in the ass…

• mcnabney

Hmmm.

The good.
    Lots of varieties which actually allow for a good entry price
    Legacy App Store functionality
    4:3 screen
    Lightweight
    Appears fingerprint proof, but time will tell
    Tight software design, practically an Apple trademark
    no contract for 3G

The bad
    Not exactly a high res screen, same width as 10″ NBs, but in 4:3
    No flash
    No multitasking
    Questionable battery life, but we’ll see
    Big bezel
    No HDMI
    No replaceable battery
    No expandable memory (possible through USB?)
    No single-hand use (no buttons like a Kindle)
    Questionable ability to make the device do anything not preconceived by Apple, ie – what video formats/containers will it support?
    The 3G version will be stuck on AT&T’s crappy network (perhaps a tethering solution is possible, if not – one of Verizon or Sprints portable WiFi 3G modems would work)

• linkman

I’m gonna have to go fail because like i’ve seen people saying, it really is just an over-glorified iPhone (without the phone). For $300 cheaper than the base model I got my nice netbook which does all of the things that this thing does and more. And tbh I just can’t see people walking around with a hugeass screen in their hands

• ChronoReverse

It’s a 10″ iTouch. And people will buy it by the bajillion.

• designerfx

not really. people already bought the touch. why would they want a 2nd one for hundreds more? Heck, 3g is what…650$?

• ChronoReverse

I want to believe people are rational as well but that has been proven false so many times…

• Byte Storm

Because it is an Apple product.

• sschaem

A 199$ netbook with 10 hours of battery life and a 16gig SSD? where ?

I always wanted to saw off the keyboard off my laptop and just be left with the a thin light screen. (My bluetooth keyboard works a.ok)

I do have a netbook as a kludge, but this HW is exactly what I have been waiting for… Just to bad its running Apple software.

So I’m just glad Apple is paving the way for all the copy cat to follow. We will see this device running something else then ‘itune’ soon now.

Thx Steve 🙂

• mcnabney

Don’t worry. The clones will be following. Check out the Microsoft Courier concept. I’d spring for something like that.

• Bombadil

Does my $100 Delstar DS700 with a $35 16GB SDHC card count? It is actually pretty nice, but I am used to Windows CE.

• mcnabney

I don’t know. I could see these filling roles in education and as an ‘extra’ computer that is handy to have around. Pretty much the same roles filled by netbooks now. I am sure Steve will sell plenty of them.

My aunt and uncle will probably pickup two of them to join their two MacBook Pros, 27″iMac, two iPhones, and at least five iPods. What makes it funny is that all they do is Facebook, eMail, and save (but never edit) their pictures. I doubt they even have more than a 100 soungs on their devices since they don’t really like music.

• OneArmedScissor

That depends on the price, and $500 sure as hell is not the “to have around” range.

• Nutmeg

This. As usual it’s an Apple product, this means shiny, overpriced and offering nothing we haven’t seen before.

• Buzzard44

I voted for a bit of a disappointment only because there’s not option for “complete disaster” or “epic fail” or a similar option.

Edit: Turns out, I fail. I read the last option as 9.7″ diagonal or fail (similar to 9.7″ diagonal or bust), not of fail.

• Nereid

Vote the last option, then.

• ManAtVista

“9.7” diagonal of fail (14 votes)” not enough fail, really? I voted 9.7″ of fail, there’s nothing compelling about it, except to people who think an apple logo is worth $500…

• A_Pickle

Man, I’m no Apple fan… but I really can’t see how it could be considered a representative for “FAIL” in any way.

The iPhone has its flaws, but is FAR from “FAIL.” A bigger iPhone would have to have some SERIOUS flaws for it to be considered “FAIL,” and the Apple tablet doesn’t really have these. Generally, though, I kinda think the device is dumb… but the iPhone OS is development-fertile. People can get shit done with these, they’re thin, light, and apparently very smooth and nice to use.

Now, I know what your response will be — and relax, I agree. Generally speaking, I think the iPad is kind of dumb. Just the other day, I was using my roommate’s netbook because, at the moment, both of my laptops are out of commission. I haven’t tried to play Borderlands, because I’m not an idiot — but everything else, including synchronizing my Windows Mobile phone to it so that I can pull GPS traces off of it and open them in Google Earth /[

• NeelyCam

No “Intel Inside” = epic fail

• TEAMSWITCHER

The Apple logo is what makes this device worth the $499 price tag. The device already has a complete ecosystem that comes with it. Microsoft has a great ecosystem for Desktop and Notebook computers but it doesn’t translate into new form-factor devices like this, and no-one, I mean no one will develop any software for it. Remember the Zune? Yea that’s right, it’s already game over for net-books.