Dell’s luxurious Adamo laptop tumbles to $999

The gap between Dell’s new Vostro V13 and its big brother has just gotten narrower. As Engadget reports, Dell has slashed the price of the original Adamo, bringing it a whopping $1,000 below the original launch price.

Google’s cache of the Adamo page shows price tags of $1,499 and $2,299 for the two Adamo configurations, but today, the same systems go for $999 and $1,799. Specifications don’t appear to have changed, either. The cheapest system still has a 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of DDR3 RAM, and a 128GB solid-state drive, while the pricier variant retains a 2.1GHz processor, double the memory, double the storage capacity, and built-in mobile broadband as icing on the cake. And both systems still ship with Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

The Adamo also sports a 13.4" display, a five-hour battery, and a sleek aluminum chassis that’s just 0.65" thick. Dell quotes a weight of 4 lbs, which is actually a little bit heavier than some 13.3" consumer ultraportables—like the Acer Aspire Timeline 3810, which starts at $649.99 on Newegg, or Dell’s own Vostro V13. That said, the Adamo does have a faster processor, a thinner profile, and a more stylish, all-metal chassis.

• Sunburn74

Dell needs to get their stuff together on the battery life. I mean my asus ul30 gets anywhere from 7 to 16 hrs (pure idle) depending on how you’re testing. Ultra portables aren’t supposed to just look nice. They are supposed to be ultra portable.

I really like the way the v13 and adamo look, but the battery life is their absolute achilles heel (plus dell is doing a crappy job advertising).

I mean in all the win7 adds, you see sony vaio laptops. When was the last dell ad you’ve seen on tv?

• Synchromesh

This reminds me exactly why VW failed with their Phaeton (aside from it being a piece of usual VW junk). When a company is identified with cheap appliances, nobody wants to buy expensive things from them. People prefer to buy from established brands of luxury goods. That’s why most people with money went to Apple.

• iatacs19

The 256GB version is also $999 on the Small Business side.

• Skrying

What are you talking about? It has Intel graphics on the inside. You really don’t get any more low power than that on the PC side. Intel’s designs tend to be based on the PowerVR IP anyway. This system has poor battery life because it has a very small battery. Not because of the graphics. Just check out the Asus UL30VT and UL80VT, both of which have 12 hour battery life and achieve those ratings using Intel graphics chips…

• Skrying

Eh? The M11x is ugly I’ll give you that but over priced? Not at all given the hardware it’s packing. It’s also unique. The only thing close to it in terms of hardware is Asus’s UL30Vt which has better battery life but does cost slightly more. The rest of Alienware’s product line up doesn’t hold up so well.

Dailytech misreporting a story? surely you jest! They’re the shining beacon of truthness in this dirty world we call the internet.

• Fragnificent

Agreed…Alienwares are ugly and overpriced. This thing is elegant.

• khands

It does need to be cut in half again for me to even consider it, I like the way it looks but that’s about it.

• Jambe

I wouldn’t purchase this thing, but I like the styling. I like well-built, solid-feeling devices. Is that top bit glossy? I don’t like carry devices to be fingerprint magnets.

• ImSpartacus

You know, I remember that story about “Acer” criticizing American PC companies. I called out a journalist on DailyTech because he misreported the story.

It was *[

• djgandy

More CULV laptops would be nice at at a price like this. Shame the graphics lets down the power usage so badly. What is the point of an expensive SSD if you are just going to leak all your power out of the graphics chip?

CULV processor + some low power graphics would be nice. Something more powerful from PowerVR that only uses < 1W would be good.

Shame the guys at Intel are sleeping with their ULV pricing. Sure it gets the margins up and keeps the atom healthy but it is hurting the mobile laptop market in terms of good product combinations.

• KoolAidMan

What I find interesting are the PC fanboys (yes, /[

• thecoldanddarkone

I have 2 machines as well, but ones primarily for spreadsheets, regular text, and casual browsing (my xt). While my other machine is for games and entertainment. I’ve tried a few configurations over the years, so far I like my current setup.

• wira020

Ya.. It also doesnt have Firewire or displayport.. too much usb.. and…and most importantly the fruity logo!… 😛

• wira020

At that price plus the increased chance of getting laid… buy!

• wira020

Someone forgetting ATI exist?.. ya the last sentence doesnt make sense…

• Skrying

When my laptop was my only system I would have killed for a dock. Now… doesn’t really matter.

• Skrying

Because it’s adisor. He’s a blatant Apple fanboy. It’s not hard to know what he’s talking about if you’ve seen even a small amount of his posts.

I’m also not sure what your point is with your last sentence.

• w00tstock

Im still looking for where he brought up apple… seems you people have apple on the brain…
    Before you go and say that what the air has think a second then tell me what other gpu could they put in there besides intel. thats right 9400

• NeelyCam

You must have a typo there in your comment about unjustified price premium; instead of “CULV”, you probably meant “Neo”

That’s OK – these harmless mistakes happen to the best of us.

• thecoldanddarkone

That really doesn’t kill it for me, no docking station kills it for me. Yes, I’m one of the few that like docking stations. I might be one of 3 people in existance, but I like docking stations.

• thecoldanddarkone

Notebookcheck.net actually got 4 hours on it (with a 30wh batter that’s pretty good). It also got 3.5 hours on the Adamo (browser test).

• Skrying

Even worse battery life. The Vostro v13 looks great for its price until you check out the battery specifications. Only 30 WHr. You’re talking 3 hours at absolute best. What’s the point of such small systems if you can’t use it for portable purposes?

• funko

I would consider a Dell Vostro V13 with a mechanical hard drive, and cheaper price tag as well, when looking at this laptop.

• ImSpartacus

Yup, the Adamo’s battery life kills it.

• Voldenuit

True. Which is a shame. I get 7-8 hrs on my X300 with 6+3 cell batteries, which in that configuration is still lighter than the Adamo, if marginally (3.6 lbs).

My mom’s Acer 4810 gets about 6-7 hrs with its standard 6-cell battery, which is something of a testament to how far we’ve come since the days of 2-3 hr mobile computing.

• Skrying

The battery life isn’t as good as they claim. It’s closer to 3 hours or so than 5 hours. Which is really rather poor.

• Voldenuit

Yum. The Adamo is a really nice laptop, and the price can’t be beat (try finding another laptop with a 128 GB SSD at that price).

The build quality is miles above an Acer Timeline (I bought my mom an Aspire 4810 last Christmas).

It seems people are complaining here just for the sake of it, but then, that’s nothing new, is it?

• thecoldanddarkone

I’d think about buying one if I didn’t already own an ultraportable.

• thecoldanddarkone

I’d rather chop off my left arm than use a computer with a big ugly shiny head.

• sjankech

Forget the adamo. Get the Alienware m11x. Supposedly starting at $799.

• ludi

The usual way is that some people just don’t like cats.

• MadManOriginal

Wait what? Unjustified price premium? Versus what, netbooks? Larger 15″+ ‘standard’ notebooks?

• Skrying

Even the $1799 one doesn’t include anything but Intel graphics. Kind of been the biggest bashing point of the Adamo from the start…

People buy CULV laptops. I’m also not sure what price premium you’re talking about.

• jdaven

Lol! Poor Dell. Tried to sell in the high gross margin space and the PC computer geeks of the world ignored it. No wonder Acer thinks American PC companies are going away when you guys keep asking for PCs to be priced way below what a company can handle.

Oh well, you guys will have the Acers, Toshibas and Lenovos to downgrade into oblivion soon enough. Maybe its not such a great idea to expect every single PC to cost under $500.

• OneArmedScissor

Then people can buy a more expensive one and get exactly what they want. It is not as if the options don’t exist.

My problem is the prices. That $399 Acer was reasonable, but that’s about it, and even at that price, I’m not exactly running out to the store to pick one up. It’s still a cheap laptop that’s slower than other cheap laptops of the past.

The main reason people don’t buy CULV laptops is because they still have an unjustified price premium, whether they complain about the graphics or not.

• willyolio

there’s more than one way for a cat to ask for a skinning.

• BoBzeBuilder

The poor guy never mentioned the word Apple and he’s getting all these flames. lol

• Skrying

Eh? The loudest complaint in every CULV based laptop posting is about the graphics. I’m tired of adisor always bringing Apple up in news posts but your statement isn’t exactly reality.

• OneArmedScissor

You forgot the part where everyone who doesn’t want a Mac doesn’t care. How much are Apple paying you to be their human spam bot?

• MadManOriginal

His point is that APPLE IS MOAR BETTAR. He’s making a comparison that isn’t even made in this article.

• willyolio

the Acer doesn’t come with nvidia graphics either, what’s your point?

• adisor19

You forgot the part where it still comes with the Intel decelerator graphics instead of something more potent like the nvidia 9400M.

Adi

• Fragnificent

want

Share this post with your friends!