Rumor: Radeon HD 5830 pushed back

That rumored Radeon HD 5830 graphics card from AMD doesn’t appear to be launching today, in spite of previous reports. Fudzilla got an update from its sources about the matter, and it now claims the product’s introduction has been delayed because of the Chinese New Year.

Reportedly, shipments might be pushed back to February 20, six days after China and Taiwan transition from the year of the ox to the year of the tiger. Fudzilla doesn’t expect Radeon HD 5830 cards to become available in volume until March as a result.

Last month’s coverage suggested the Radeon HD 5830 will launch at $239. Performance will no doubt end up somewhere between the Radeon HD 5770 1GB and the Radeon HD 5850, which now sell for around $163 and $289, respectively. As we noted last time, $239 isn’t far off from the midpoint between those two GPUs.

Right now, AMD only has its previous-generation Radeon HD 4890 bridging the gap between the 5770 and 5850. The 4890 does tend to outpace the 5770 in terms of raw performance, but it’s based on an older, power-hungrier GPU without DirectX 11 support or features like Eyefinity.

• asdsa

Fudzilla predicts Fermi will be launched before Christmas, after Christmas, in January… No wait! They don’t have a slightest idea what they are talking about. I don’t believe anything they say concerning launch dates anymore.

• ub3r

I think ill wit to see Fermi’s mid range offerings.
    My 6600GT sli is still going strong for the time being.

• Joel H.

If your 6600GT SLI is still going strong, I seriously doubt Fermi is going to be an upgrade you’ll want. Not for awhile anyway–not until TSMC can ramp 40nm yields to a point where NV is comfortable introducing sub-$200 SKUs.

• CheetoPet

So now AMD has a card priced at every 20 dollar interval between $50 and $400? Not that its a bad thing,my brain has just completely caved on all the models now.

• Manabu

At least, AMD’s model numbers are generally an simple indicative of the architeture and performance, so you can’t be much lost. On the other hand, I stop bothering to undestand Nvidia’s renaming.

• JustAnEngineer

Unless some other card appears before this one, it will be the eighth DirectX 11 card to arrive.

_[

• pullmyfoot

Id buy that. I want more than the 5770/4890 performance but I dont feel quite like paying that much for a 5850. As soon as it hits the stores im gonna buy. Hear that AMD?

• OneArmedScissor

Eh…I think you may be overlooking that the 5770 is the 4870 replacement, and this is the 4890 replacement.

• marvelous

It’s not only year of the tiger but year of the white tiger. Only happens every 200 years or so.

• NeelyCam

So, what does it mean?

• anotherengineer

It means everything in China/Taiwan goes on the backburner, and its party time like 1810 W00T!!!!!!!!!!

• wira020

Wow… amd just doesnt know when to take a break do they?.. they’ve been releasing these dx11 gpus pretty aggressively lately… well, i guess it works in their favor since there’s not much of a competition right now… but i cant really get excited about new lower performance cards… i do hope they can release the cypress refresh or whatever soon…

EDIT: I know this is unconfirmed to most, but some website have been saying that there will be 5830 too… and i kinda believe it more hence the price gap logic and stuffs… should be just limited cards since i’m guessing these are just cypress with few stuffs diabled or something… maybe?

• StuG

uhhhh the article is about a 5830..so what?

• Ryhadar

First thing I thought of when I read the title was, “How can a card have a rumor about being delayed when the card itself is a rumor?”

I guess I missed out on it being a confirmed SKU.

• potatochobit

I am waiting to see reviews on this before I decide to turn in my 4890 or go crossfire this spring

• Gerbil Jedidiah

I would think a better solution would be to sell the 4890 and use the dough to snag a 5850 or 5870.

• wira020

But what if 5830 (maybe) can be overclocked to match 5850 performance or if it is better performance/dollar… i’m just saying since it’s close to the rumoured launch… it’s better just to wait a while… i have 5850 and it really is overkill for my 1920×1080 display, even at max setting…

• TurtlePerson2

You have the high end chip from last generation and you want to trade it in for a mid-range from this generation? That doesn’t sound like a good idea to me. I’d recommend that you just hold onto your card unless you’re having problems running things with it. If that’s the case then you’ll probably want a 5850 or 5870.

• LawrenceofArabia

DX11, SSAA, and power consumption

• OneArmedScissor

DX11 means nothing and may never, SSAA will likely annihilate this card, and the power savings could only possibly add up to a few dollars in savings, not $200+.

• ssidbroadcast

It’s the, year of the tiger it’s the calender fight.

rising up to the challenege of our rivals.

except there’s no challenge from their rival. So now this song just officially fell apart.

• SubSeven

Glen, Glen, Glen, Glen…

Maybe one day he might just become… supervisor.

• ssidbroadcast

Wouldn’t the rival be the Roman calendar everyone else uses?

• Gerbil Jedidiah

You’re joking right? I’m pretty sure the previous poster meant AMD has no DX11 rival from Nvidia.

• anotherengineer

the 80’s will neva die

• spigzone

That’s what I said about the fifties!

Hint: I no longer ‘rock around the clock’.

• Hattig

Wish we had a 14 day New Year’s Holiday.

Hope this is less of a disappointment than Cedar, which should have had 160 shaders, not 80, even if it would have meant a slightly larger die size. Then again maybe Cedar is the base design for the next series of integrated graphics once AMD start making 40nm chipsets.

• Bombadil

HardOCP mentioned there would be another card between the 5450 and the 5670. This could be a 200 shader part (5570?) or maybe just a Redwood with DDR3 or GDDR3 (5650?). Without GDDR5 the 64-bit cards are crap with however many shaders–80 is likely too many. Hopefully AMD isn’t rewarded for offering so much low-end junk. The 5770 is the lowest DX11 video card worth purchasing. My old $40 9600GSO is hardly slower than my new 5770. Where’s the 40nm version of the G80/G92?

• Game_boy

It’s a 5570, with 400 shaders at 650MHz.