Obsidian 800D case gets a younger sibling

Corsair’s Obsidian Series 800D is a formidable enclosure—we found that out first hand when reviewing the case last November—but its perks come with a hefty price tag: $289.99 at Newegg right now. Luckily for the less wealthy among us, Corsair has announced the Obsidian Series 700D, a very similar product that’s missing some of the features responsible for the 800D’s onerousness.

Corsair says the Obsidian Series 700D trades its big brother’s hot-swap Serial ATA hard drive bays for a set of fixed, internal bays, all the while replacing the side window with a solid side panel. And that’s about it; other features are supposed to be the same.

That means the 700D still has five 5.25" and six 3.5" drive bays, a removable CPU backplate, support for a "triple 120mm radiator," an elaborate cable management system, an elephantine footprint, and a sleek, black finish both inside and out, as the images in the gallery below should attest.

Corsair hasn’t announced a price for this puppy just yet, but it’s probably a safe bet the 700D will cost less than $290. The company expects resellers to start carrying the new enclosure some time in April.

• tanker27

I love my 800D…its well worth it.

• anotherengineer

you love a square piece of metal and plastic?!?!?!

I never understood why people have affections for inanimate objects.

• Sunburn74

What you don’t love your tv? Car? Clothes? Hairs on top of your head? All of those are inanimate objects

• willyolio

the human capacity to love things that are not our own species is a unique byproduct of our advanced mental capacity.

• Rakhmaninov3

From what I’ve heard the build quality of these is terrific, but for such a….plain?…..case it’ll still probably cost more than I’d pay for it. I’d rather get a faster component with the moola.

EDIT: Meant for this to be its own post, sorry about that.

• internetsandman

plain makes the case sound so average and unexciting. I’d use the word discrete instead, because this definitely has one of the best feature lists on the market, and a lot of people don’t want their computer to be some ostentatious watercooled hulk, they want it to perform well and without drawing attention to itself

• flip-mode

It’s beautiful. I don’t like case windows anyway. I’d be tempted to buy it for $200; I’d be compelled to buy it for $150. I’m betting it’ll be $225 or more.

• Sunburn74

Keep it under 200 bucks and they’ll be driving a hard bargain to not use in your next build

• KGA_ATT

For the 800D being the first attempt for Corsair?-I’m ‘floored’. They did a meticulous and professional job. I don’t need a case but when I saw this 800D some time back i thought ‘definitely with the next build’!

However… (yep there’s always one or two) what are the limitations on the Hot Swap bay? Does it support 6Gbs SATA III drives without penalty? Or does it knock them down to 3Gbs SATA II level. Which would make me look at the ‘soon to be released’ younger sibling. The 700D. Then I can hunt around for my own hot swap 6Gbs compatible bay.

• KoolAidMan

Eh, I got excited for a second and then saw that it is still a full tower. First off, I LOVE my 800D, best case I’ve ever owned or gotten my hands on, no question. That said, I’d be more interested in seeing Corsair make a mid-tower or gamer-grade HTPC case instead, using the same principles that they applied to the 800D.

A stripped down version of the 800D with the same physical dimensions, eh, not so interesting unless it shaves a /[

• Kulith

Exactly, I was hoping for something compact like what antec did with the p180 mini

• MadManOriginal

Yeah, except making it actually MINI would be nice.

• shaq_mobile

i’d like to see more HTPC cases taht didnt suck in general. theres a few really cheap ones, but most of them have an awful layout. i bought a black cube like one from lian li(v351) and its so hard to work in, i wouldnt wish it on anyone. looks cool, but the geometry makes it also look very clunky. i nick named it fridge vader. its now sitting in my closet with a psu taking up space.

oh yeah, it also overheated on a regular basis because the layout didnt allow for airflow. i stepped over it one night and caught the lip of one of the corners and it bent the whole corner, now i cant bend it back because i cant remove the panel.

• rhema83

I built a HTPC using a Silverstone Sugo SG02F recently. It is indeed a small case with a squarish cross-section, but the build quality is excellent. I had no cuts whatsoever even though I had to work in the tiny space. Maybe it is a better choice than the Lian-Li one you spoke of?

• Flying Fox

I have hopes that Corsair is just taking its time. If this cheaper 700D pans out, then there will be incentive for them to design and release more cases.

A 600D mid tower case costing between 100-150 would give Antec some very good competition.

• ssidbroadcast

I agree. Personally, I LOVE how that motherboard tray is set up for easy cable management. It’s just that the price + the size are a real turn off for me.