Valve to start offering games for the Mac

The Mac platform doesn’t attract too many game developers these days. Although the latest Macs do have at least decent integrated graphics, their ability to dual-boot Windows makes the value of ports somewhat dubious. Still, it looks like Mac gamers are about to get some OS X-specific content from an unlikely source: Valve Software.

MacNN says it has received confirmation from Doug Lombardi, the studio-cum-distributor’s marketing VP, that Valve will port “some of its most popular games to the Mac.” Valve has been letting loose a handful of not-so-cryptic images to tease the announcement. One of them, included in the MacNN post, features turret guns from Team Fortress 2 and Portal as PC and Mac from the Apple “Switch” ads.

Another teaser image, this time posted by Shacknews, shows TF2’s Heavy character holding a sandwich in the same silhouetted art style as iPod ads. Both images seem like pretty strong hints that at least TF2 and Portal will make it over to Mac OS X.

Porting those games will likely involve porting Steam, Valve’s content delivery platform, as well. And wouldn’t you know it, AppleInsider recently wrote about some Mac-specific widgets and icons lurking in resource files from the new Steam front end. Considering Steam acts as a strong vehicle for game distribution in general on the PC, perhaps the arrival of Steam on Mac OS X might encourage other game developers to embrace the reality distortion field.

Valve seems like an odd candidate for a Mac gaming push, though. The company canned a port of Half-Life for Mac OS 9 over 10 years ago and has shunned the platform ever since. If I recall correctly, the Mac version of Half-Life was intended to ship without support for cross-platform multiplayer, despite rumors that Valve had gotten the functionality working internally. Negative response from the small Mac gaming community at the time may well have contributed to the cancellation.

• xtalentx

“studio-cum-distributor’s”

Umm what is that?

• bentbent

Whooo – TowerDefence FTW!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh its flash, so I guess….

• Fighterpilot

If Apple has so much cash on hand…and feel gaming is important,why don’t they hire a big developer to produce a full on, Major release 3D masterpiece so that Apple users can go straight to it?
    If the game was really kickass like BF2 or Counterstrike etc surely it could lead to more gamers adopting the Mac platform to play it?

• Anonymous Coward

Probably because they would probably not get that cash back. I think that Valve’s move is more powerful than some big budget money loosing flagship game.

• LordEkim

If I recall correctly OS-X has Unix roots, Linux is more or less Unix so we will perhaps / finally have good base for Linux game development.

Free system, and maybe games that cost 1/2 when released and without DRM.

Ah, just my dreams …. zzzzzzzzzz ….. zzzzzzz …..

btw. need for Windows exists only because of need for gaming
    (my opinion, don’t know for rest of You)

• jon_lui

The need for window, IMHO, is that almost all software, be the free or not can be found for Windows. The choice is just greater, plus it is much better supported.

Also, for the business people, legacy support is why Windows is still used.

• Meadows

Linux is a mess.

• Anonymous Coward

A beautiful mess.

• Meadows

No, it’s not. If you wanted a no-holds-barred, logical, strip-clean system, you would either go with BSD or MacOS X.

Jumping into the ocean-wide pile of shit that’s Linux today? No, thank you.

• poulpy

You know what we say about opinions..

• Meadows

That’s not an opinion. Linux has far too many distros and each of them is broken somewhere. The moment someone makes one that works all around, I’ll reconsider.

• poulpy

q[

• Meadows

Every distro is broken somewhere, so most serious Linux people run several, because each one does what the other doesn’t.

This is what you don’t have to suffer with a well-accepted, commercial OS.

• poulpy

More blanket statements..

q[

• Meadows

g{

• poulpy

g{

• PenGun

What a maroon. I’ve been running slackware since I got sick of Windose 3.51.

It’s not for you. You need to know something about computers. You need Bill and/or perhaps Steve to get your crap to work.

Lame ass OSs, Windose and the poor bastard son of FreeBSD … OS X.

I will play games in Win 7 … that’s it.

It would be nice to have a *nix port of Valve games. It comes from the Quake engine originally and it runs fine on Linux.

• MadManOriginal

Your distro must not include a spell checker, there’s no such word as ‘Windows.’ Time to recompile.

• PenGun

My spell checker thinks that is the correct spelling. I do too, it is very much like an STD in many ways.

• Meadows

No, it’s Windose because it is a dose of win.

• Anonymous Coward

Now you’re just making things up. First of all, I find OSX to be plenty broken, commercial or not. Hell I found every commercial OS I’ve ever used to be plenty broken. I am in shock that you just suggested that this is not a problem with established commercial OS’s.

Second, serious Linux people do not run a flavor for every purpose. Tinkerers and idiots do that.

• spanky1off

as an Joe Average mac user I for 1 welcome this news.

ive just ordered an ipod by mistake instead of an ipad to play HL3..will it work?

bollocks…why has this replied to 101…i feel im in a room with my worst fear

• Anonymous Coward

Eh, no. You can keep BSD for yourself, and OSX… I don’t much enjoy using its unix side. Better than a DOS prompt at least.

• End User

I’ve been running Ubuntu 9.10 on my workstation since October and I am very impressed. I transitioned away from Mac OS X. I’m amazed at how close I was able to duplicate my Mac OS X setup under Ubuntu. I’m still a fan of Mac OS X but I build my own PCs so it made sense to switch to Ubuntu when I retired my G5.

I just bought a Eee PC 1201N, wiped the drive, and installed 9.10. 1080p playback via XBMC was perfect (thanks to ION and the VDPAU enabled drivers). Ubuntu easily matches/surpasses the performance/functionality of the Win 7 install that shipped with the 1201N.

I’d like to see more netbooks/laptops/desktops list Linux as an OS option. Driver support is the biggest issue I see (damn you Realtek!).

I, for one, would love to have Ubuntu replace Windows 7 Pro on my gaming rig.

While I support the idea of gaming under Linux, I’m guessing that Canonical, the commercial sponsor of Ubuntu, would want not work with Valve/ATI/Nvidia to get Steam supplied games working well under Ubuntu:

“*[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Brand<]§ "Freedom. We strive to deliver the very best free software platform. Our highest mission is to accelerate the adoption and spread of free software, to make it the de facto standard way that people build and consume software. We celebrate the work of other groups committed to collaborative content development, and open content licensing. While we are pragmatic about this (we ship proprietary drivers when we believe they are a requirement to get free software working well on PC's) we expressly do not include any proprietary applications in the default installation of Ubuntu. We want people to love and appreciate free software, and even though *[

• Xenolith

OS X is based on Darwin. Darwin is a BSD Unix flavor, but it isn’t Linux. It isn’t as trivial as recompiling, and then you have a Linux version. A little more effort than that will be needed.

That would be nice though. Mixed bag getting Steam games to run via Wine.

• blastdoor

For consumers, i think that’s basically right — there is no “need” for Windows beyond gaming.

But for businesses, it’s a different matter altogether. Corporate IT LOVES microsoft, and while I don’t share their love, I do understand it. Apple makes it crystal clear that they are primarily focused on consumers and have relatively little interest in business users. That alone is a good reason for corporate IT to stay away. As someone who really like Macs, I find this frustrating, and while I do get very irritated with IT, I also understand that Apple isn’t doing a darn thing to help me win an argument about using a Mac at work.

• BobbinThreadbare

There is actually a healthy selection of indie games on steam already.

• StashTheVampede

Steam is coming to OSX so there is some form of game delivery on the platform. Steam’s current install base is millions and more paying users wouldn’t be a bad thing, right?

Source is coming to OSX because of x86 chips and OpenGL graphics. Much has been learned with PS3 games and now a single license can give you access to Windows/Mac/360/PS3 along with a content delivery platform on Windows/OSX.

• DrDillyBar

Games (UT, Q# …) used to come with OpenGL and in some cases primative DirectX support out of the box. Why not now, just the other way around?

• ltcommander.data

I’m hoping that Valve isn’t just porting Steam and a few Valve games to OS X. It’d be great if the Source Engine itself could be ported to OS X with OS X as a native development target so that any developer could simply take their code-base and compile it directly to PC, XBox 360 or Mac. This is in contrast to Source Engine support for the PS3, which I believe was more ported game by game, and the Source Engine itself can’t generate code for the PS3 natively.

§[< http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/<]§ I think adding OpenGL support to the Source Engine is a sensible move by Valve for PC and Mac gamers alike. Valve's games and the Source Engine are very scalable and looking at their user base on the Steam Hardware Survey reflects this. I don't doubt Valve will want to maintain as broad a user base as possible as they make improvements to the Source Engine. Most notably, the Source Engine doesn't use DX10 features yet. The most interesting statistic though is that even though 49% of Steam gamers have DX10 capable GPU with a DX10 capable OS (Vista or Windows 7), a further 27% of gamers have a DX10 capable GPU but are using Windows XP. In other words, if Valve were to write a DX10 code path, 1 third of users who have DX10 hardware would not take advantage of it. In contrast, if Valve used OpenGL to take full advantage of DX10 and newer GPUs, 100% of DX10 GPU owners regardless whether they are using Vista, Windows 7, XP or OS X can see the new effects in the Source Engine. Adding OpenGL support seems like the best way for Valve to efficiently target new features to more of their users.

• Fighterpilot

The best bit about Mac users appearing on multiplayer games will be laying the smak on people(I use that loosely) like Adi. 🙂

• Hemotoxin

So those same developers who already see the PC platform as useless and not worth a port are going to see Macs any differently? I mean, if they already think that making a PC port is too much work for the money they get why would they suddenly want to make a port to Macs? I guess if they could charge a $30 Apple tax it might be worth it.

Call me pessimistic but I think that only casual gaming will thrive because of this. I just don’t see developers who already see PC gaming as a inconvenience welcoming yet more work for what they seem to consider negligible gain.

That being said, Valve isn’t stupid and they must have seen some monetary reason to do this and if it lets them make more great PC games I’ll put aside my Apple hate and cheer them on.

• wira020

But, but i thought mac users are all grown up who dont play games anymore…

EDIT: I’d be tempted to switch if they can provide less crash with their system… kinda annoyed right now having some games crashing most of the time… annoy me more when i havent been successful at getting a solution or even knew what exactly is the main problem…

• Jambe

This is pretty neat, really. I rather like Windows, but I don’t like my non-console gaming restricted to one OS. I don’t use a Mac, personally, but it’s the principle of the thing, dammit!

Of course, I don’t think this’ll change a whole hell of lot. It’ll be interesting to see the operating system category of the Valve Hardware Survey in the coming years. What percentage will be OS X take up? Not a big one, surely, but probably still enough to make a publisher happy. Or a prospective indie developer…

• Corrado

As long as they can get a # thats above Apple’s overall computing market share, they should realize that a majority of people with Macs would game on them.

• MadManOriginal

Can’t play a lot of games with one mouse button. lolol

• Meadows

Lol, it had to be said

• Grape Flavor

So this is why they’re too busy to make PC Half-Life 2 equivalent to the 360 version. They have time for risky forays into Mac gaming but not time for giving their PC fans the same content as the consoles…

This has failure written all over it. If someone really wanted to game they wouldn’t have bought an underpowered Mac to begin with.

• SomeOtherGeek

<joke>

Game price: $59.99

Prices by OS:
    Windows: $59.99
    OSX: $59.99 + $10 (Apple Tax)

</joke>

But seriously, this can be good. It will create competition, right? Still have fond memories of Apple’s games, “Fool’s Errand”. Got me to fall in love with computer games.

• Anonymous Coward

I doubt an extra 10% per game would bother than average Mac user one bit. Given the choice, I would play on OSX (so long as mods and all that work) and I’d pay a bit for the privilege.

I haven’t gamed on OSX since Diablo2 and WC2.

• Byte Storm

Therein lies the problem. They KNOW that you are willing to pay extra. They know they can get away with that, so they will do it.

• Jambe

How, exactly, is that a problem? If the market bears it, who cares? If you can’t afford to game on a Mac, the solution is simple: don’t.

• BobbinThreadbare

They already do with with consoles. Dragon Age: Origins was $10 cheaper on PC.

• d0g_p00p

Sweet, Apple gamers can max out that GeForce 120 that comes on the MacPro. If they spend another $200 they can get a second card and SLI them and hope to crack 60 FPS at 1024×786

• moshpit

You’ll want to start that by teaching Mac users what FPS means :p

• indeego

Apple would never sell a product for $200. I think they even fear the number 0 so it would be $219 well before $209g{<.<}g

• SomeOtherGeek

Sorry, but I LOL’d on all the above comments.

• KoolAidMan

Or they can just use the more than capable GPUs that come with the Macbooks Pros and mid to high end iMacs.

/[

• PRIME1

What no mention of the Apple Game Console rumors?

• crsh1976

Isn’t there enough room already dedicated to every single baseless Apple-related rumor out there, every day of every year?

• End User

Awesome news. I see references to Linux and “different types of computers” so there may very well be a Linux varient of Steam/TF2/Portal in the works as well. OpenGL FTW!!!

• Deanjo

I wouldn’t get your hopes up. Until AMD can put together drivers that are worth anything performance and stability wise that market is pretty much forbidden. Intel has good drivers but just shit performance on their IGP’s. That leaves only users with nvidia cards as a viable users in linux. Of those viable users you have to guess that not everyone will necessarily game so lets be optimistic and say 30% of those will game. Now giving that the Mac market share is about 8 times what linux users are you start creeping into very, very, very small number respectively when it comes to bother porting to linux.

If John Carmack, the leading crusader to linux gaming has given up hope how well do you think Valve will embrace linux?

openGL support has never really been the major stumbling block for possible linux ports. There have been tons of openGL games in the past and only a very small percentage ever had a linux port.

• End User

The only way to finish the race is to start it.

• Deanjo

And every rose has it’s thorns….

just like every cowboy sings a sad, sad song.

• geekl33tgamer

I actually think this is a good thing? Some iMac’s and especially the MacPro’s have good hardware in them. No reason why they can’t play games, and it may finally give the casual PC gamer a reason to ditch windows completly if thats the only reason they are holding onto it to begin with.

I don’t own a Mac (Always used Windows), but a friend of mine has an iMac – The interface and speed of the whole thing is very smooth – Everything just appears to work? Sure, he had this thing called “macigmouse” that was a pain to use (I found it confusing – It had no buttons), and I kept on trying to windows-style right click actions on certian things, but it doesn’t do anything in Mac world… So i would get easilly stuck – Would eventually learn tho?

I think I would drop my PC in a heartbeat with a bit of OSX training, good game support and lower prices for the Apple-taxed PC internals on their systems. Afterall, I am sure you can build a PC to the same hardware spec as a Mac for 30-50% less?

• kcarlile

FYI, it’s a quick change in the control panel (System Preferences) to make the magic mouse have a right click. If I’m using a mouse on a Mac, though my preferences is a good ol’ Logitech.

• geekl33tgamer

Good to know you can change certian thinks to make it more windows style. I thought you could, but I would never be able to find the right place without guidance 🙁

I have never really given Mac’s the time of day in the past, but since my firend got one, I am warming to it – not least because it’s taking up 1/3 of the space my Pc is and looks very modern / minamilist…

If gaming picks up on it then I might convert in a few years? The only thing I need Windows for is games. Everything else from video editing, transcoding, photo’s, excel/word and the like is already catered for…

• TheBulletMagnet

Currently I only own windows pc’s. With that in mind, hearing about this, all I can say is “cool”. I can’t think of any negatives of bringing more games to the Apple platform. Unless it means the engie update and the meet the medic video is being delayed because of this.

• jrr

This is going to be huge for gaming on the mac.

Valve and Blizzard are pretty much the kings of PC gaming, and now they’ll both work on mac. Lots of indie games already work on the mac, and they’ll benefit greatly from the attention the steam storefront/community brings.

I’m excited about the momentum we’ll see on the development of libraries that aren’t MS-owned.. e.g. alternatives to DirectX will improve as more games use them. This will benefit Linux, too =]

FWIW, TF2 doesn’t run too well on my 9400M macbook5,1 (under windows).

• StashTheVampede

Porting Steam to Mac: easy. Not cake (it’s a lie), but very doable.
    Porting the Steam game engine to Mac: Much more time consuming.

Steam on Mac (no iSteam jokes? c’mon) wouldn’t be a big deal because the number of games and kinds of games that are available to OSX is clearly a tiny fraction of what Windows has.

Getting Steam’s game engine on Mac would be a big deal — Valve would have another reason to license their tech. Buy one engine and have it run on Mac/Windows Steam, PS3 and Xbox360.

• glynor

I think you meant the Source engine.

• potatochobit

from what i understand, TF2 works very well using CROSSOVER games emulator
    so an official release should not be hard to do and should work well

• TheBob!

TF2 USED to run very well in Crossover. The updates that have come out have made it much harder to get it even running under wine or crossover.

• Unckmania

Steam on the Mac could be a nice push for game developers. Small studios and indie developers will probably be the most interested in Mac as a gaming platform. But i doubt any “big” and “new” games besides the Valve ones will appear soon on that platform.

• Kurotetsu

Anyone have any idea how well Valve games perform on integrated graphics? The current Macbooks and Mac Mini all use the 9400M chipset, which is decent as far as IGPs go but I doubt Mac users will see much in the way of eye candy for alot of those titles. The only exceptions might be the 15-inch and 17-inch Pros since they have the 9600M GT. Will Steam auto-detect what kind of GPU you have and tweak the in-game graphics accordingly (I imagine it’d be pretty easy to make static profiles for all of 2 GPUs)?

• xzelence

They run just great with everything turned up for the Pros (30+ fps). The regular MacBooks, etc., can probably get around 30 with a lot of stuff disabled, maybe even lowering the resolution.

But you’d be surprised, even today, how many people are willing or at least fine with playing multiplayer FPSs at low graphics–as long as they can have fun and shoot people (in the game that is).

• glynor

There’s more than 2 GPUs. They still sell Mac Pros, and I have two of them sitting under my desk. One has a Radeon HD4870 and the other one has an older 2900XT. It’ll be SO nice to not have to reboot them to Windows 7 (forcing me to close Final Cut) when I want to have a little gaming session.

Porting Steam to OSX could also lead other software vendors (especially indie studios) to port their apps over to OSX, which could help the platform immensely.

This is great news.

• kcarlile

And of course there’s the iMacs, which come with anything from a 9400M up to a 4850. Still not amazingly good, and the 4850 is a ridiculous premium and only in the 27″, but there we are.

• geekl33tgamer

Could you not argue that because OSX is a highly targed OS designed to run on carefully selected hardware, it can deliver better FPS and visual effects on hardware that by PC standards would be poor because the system is so heavily optimised (9400M excluded – Thats just crappy however you cut it)?

Take games consoles – PC’s have been way way more powerful, but the 360 and PS3 can deliver pretty nice visuals and good performance because their O/S and hardware base is closed off to outside interference and upgrades?

OSX clearly can’t use DirectX to render games in 3D, and will probably use OpenGL instead. Lots of features in that API can be emulated if they don’t have hardware support…

• thecoldanddarkone

HAHAHA, Umm no.

It’s extremely unlikely that OSX performance will be faster than Windows.

• SNM

OS X is not carefully optimized for graphics performance the way consoles are, and while it has carefully selected hardware it won’t help in games — consoles can be highly-optimized because game developers only need to write shaders that work on one single hardware configuration; Macs still use two or three generations of video cards from Nvidia and AMD.

Plus, even worse for us Mac users, the Mac video card drivers haven’t seen anywhere near the amount of optimization that the Windows ones have. 🙁

That said, I think people have forgotten what kind of hardware requirements Source-engine games actually have. Portal played more than fine on a 6600GT at 1280*800, as I recall.

Portal ran okay on my Pentium M with an Radeon X300 (from 2004 or something)

This was a triumph (I’m making a note here – huge success)

• Meadows

Heavily optimised? This is the second “absolutely stupid” comment I see the past week after Primey said ATI cards “lack the power”.

• bdwilcox

And all six hard-core Mac gamers rejoice! Yeaahh…

• blastdoor

I wonder if Mac gaming, at least in terms of the big budget, GPU-intensive games, really makes sense. Anything that would be ported to the Mac is probably also available on the PS3 or XBox. So if you’re a Mac user, it might make more sense to just buy a console (that’s what I’ve done).

It’s not that I wouldn’t like to see more high quality games for the Mac, I’m just not sure that it makes economic sense for anyone involved. But who knows… stranger things have happened.

• xzelence

Nobody plays TF2 on console though. The entire port was a joke to most people, notwithstanding no cross-platform multiplayer support. TF2 on PC, on the otherhand, is HUGE! Perhaps the second biggest Valve multiplayer game, next to CS/CS:S. If the Mac users can play cross-platform (which I’m sure they will be able to) then that will be just great for everyone.

• The Dark One

Aside from the money Microsoft would charge for a game as regularly updated as TF2, the console players would get /[

• blastdoor

Good points. I guess this means I might have to consider getting a better video card for my Mac Pro…

• adisor19

Very welcome developtment. Now, if only Apple can get the ball rolling on those OpenGL 3.0/3.1/3.2 drivers..

Adi

• xzelence

I agree with your welcoming. I think this is nothing but a good thing for gamers and gaming all around. What computer gaming needs is more exposure and a wider audience.

Considering the number of people with MacBook Pros, with the hardware capable of running games like TF2 and Portal beautifully, a lot of Mac users who aren’t hardware savvy won’t have to worry about upgrading or anything like that.

Good job Valve.

If they’re Transgaming Cider ports, Mac gamers would do well to stay far away. Performance using what’s effecitvely WineX for OS X is generally pretty bad.

• PRIME1

l[

• ClickClick5

Agreed. Then watch HL2:E3 be a launch game for the ‘Mac’ platform.
      No better way to attract attention to the ‘Mac’ launch.

• paulWTAMU

I see steam as an answered prayer for someone like my wife; she plays casual games (puzzled games, the Sims, some sidescrollers, stuff like that). Steam has a great selection of these. We’ve been meaning to replace her laptop for some time since it’s starting to randomly die…and she’s been wanting to try a Mac.

as long as they don’t make you re-buy those games, anyway.

• paulWTAMU

I don’t know; Sims didnt come from steam (retail copy) and I don’t think we’ve ever done more than use demos for most of the other stuff. So there wouldn’t be repurchasing thankfully….except for the Sims, I don’t know if they have seperate editions for Windows or Mac?

My wife’s Sims 3 disc and expansion disc are dual-platform, but Sims 2 was published by Aspyr and would require re-purchasing everything.