Report: iPad to become available on March 26

When he showed the iPad to the world for the first time in late January, Apple CEO Steve Jobs promised availability would follow a couple of months later. According to PC World, Apple will honor Jobs’ promise, making the Wi-Fi-only version of the device available at its retail locations on March 26.

Although that prediction might elicit a "no duh," recent reports have cast doubt over Apple’s ability to meet the iPad’s release schedule. A March 1 analyst report quoted by AppleInsider said Hon Hai Precision Industry (a.k.a. Foxconn) had encountered an "unspecified production problem" that would severely limit the number of units available for the launch—perhaps enough for Apple to postpone the rollout by a month or so.

Now, however, PC World notes that both Examiner.com and Mac Rumors were tipped off about a March 26 release two days ago. The latter even expects Apple to schedule the retail debut at 6:00 PM, following in the footsteps of the original iPhone.

Apple will only release Wi-Fi-enabled versions of the iPad at first; prices will be $499, $599, and $699 for iPads with 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB storage capacities, respectively. Variants of the device with 3G connectivity won’t be out until a month later, and they’ll cost $130 more at each capacity point.

• glynor

The rumor was off by a few days…

Apple announced today that availability will be on April 3, with pre-orders available starting March 12.

§[<http://www.apple.com/ipad/<]§

• glynor

Ahh, but see… I already have a Snapstream Firefly that, with Girder, handles all my “normal” remote control duties. What I want to replace is my wireless mouse/keyboard, which are certainly a lot bigger and clumsier than an iPad would be.

Even just the mouse, when you count the space you need “clear” on the coffee table for using it, is “bigger” than the iPad would be. And a keyboard is obviously much larger. And all of those devices are all single-function. The iPad would be useful for much more as well…

• Voldenuit

A remote control so big it sits on your lap and can’t be used unless you’re looking directly at it? Sold!

• bender

It’ll sell just fine and the people who buy it will overwhelmingly love it. Indeed, I think it will be a fine toy.

When the first real Linux variant of the tablet comes out, I’ll be all over that.

The idea of a tablet computer is just sweet, but it needs to be extensible in ways that aren’t limited by one corporation. As in: give me multitasking, USB ports, a real processor, and the ability to run whatever the heck I want on it without Mom deciding whether it’s ok or not.

Gotta hand it to Apple though…they will continue to make a fortune in the app store. What a business model.

• provoko

I’ll stay with my ipod touch, the smaller better version of the ipad, hahaha

• glynor

I agree with you on multitasking. I think it will come later in an OS update (probably iPhone OS 4), but I will not be buying one unless it has this feature.

I do understand why Apple made the choice they did on multitasking up until now, though, having used both a Palm Pre and a Nexus One. It can really be a resource hog, make the device crash-prone, and is a serious UI design problem. All-in-all, I think this decision has much more to do with supporting the old iPhone v1 and iPhone 3G hardware with the OS than it does with the iPad specifically. I think iPhone OS v4 will likely drop support, at least in some way, for the 3G and older phones. They don’t want to do that until the next-gen iPhone comes out, since they are still actively selling the 8GB 3G model.

Regarding the other points… To each their own. However, the iPad does have video out capabilities. There will be dock connectors available that provide either VGA out or Composite/S-Video out, depending on what you need. HDMI or DisplayPort would be better in theory, but the resolution of the device is 1024×768, and VGA is fine at that res. In fact, VGA is superior to digital outputs at lower resolutions in many ways (cable length restrictions being the most serious). It will also have a SD-card and USB-port dock connector adapter. All of the details on how you will be able to use them aren’t at all clear yet. However, the new iPhone OS does (finally) have a unified file system, which bodes well for being able to use the SD-Card slot for some kind of external storage (though likely not for applications or music/video media). We won’t really know the final details on this until probably a couple of months after it ships.

• MrBojangles

“Wow $500-$700 dollars for a glorified toy. That’s just insane. ”

Really did I? I’m missing the part were i directed my comment towards any person or groups specifically.

• blastdoor

sure, you never stated otherwise… you just implied that anyone who buys an iPad is insane, that’s all. Where’s the harm in that?

• MrBojangles

I completely agree with that it is a matter of opinion never stated other wise.I would just simply rather have more function, especially at it’s price range.If the ipad was multi task capable and had at least a couple of usb ports i would be on board.I mean video out would be nice but not necessary that’s what my other toy’s are for.

• glynor

I think the issue is that you have a fundamental difference of opinion of the meaning of value.

To me, and many other consumers, more does not equal better. Each of those devices you listed do indeed, in their own way, do “more” than the iPad. None of them are likely to do the things they do /[

• MrBojangles

That’s awesome. I like Daniel Tosh His “I’m Completly Serious” stand up special is frickin hilarious.

• Traz
    • MrBojangles

“I find it amusing that what you nit pick about is price… yet 2 of the 3 things you posted are MORE than the base iPad, and the 2nd is only $20 less.”

Yes but all three items do far more than the Ipad.With a whole lot more functionality.Never said 5-600 was to much for a fully functional tablet.I said it’s to much for what the Ipad does.

• grantmeaname

if I had an extra $500, this would be one of the very first toys on my list. It’s such a cool toy!

• glynor

Who gives a crap about “most people”? Apple sure doesn’t.

They care about making products that make money. And they’ve done pretty well at it, as you can tell from their balance sheets.

Dell caters to “most people”. Apple does not. Dell’s Net Profit for quarter ending 1/29/2010: $334 million. Apple’s Net Profit for quarter ending 12/26/2009: $3.38 billion.

I think it’s working out for them just fine.

• crsh1976

Fine, but his point still stands; most people, and by that I mean the average person out there, doesn’t even know you can buy a video card separately, they just get a whole box from Dell or HP (or whatever Walmart has on special that week) – it’s not to diss anyone, but that’s the bulk of the typical consumer out there.

At $500-600, the average consumer expects to have a full-fledged computer, not a glorified e-reader/PDA/whatever that suffers from an identity crisis. I dig most Apple products, but I think they really missed the mark with the iPad.

• glynor

And an OS usable with only finger-based input. Being forced to use a stylus and squint at tiny desktop-designed controls is a complete non-starter in this form factor.

Of the three things he posted, the only thing even remotely capable is the EeePC. However, I’m not a fan at all of the convertible netbook form factor. If you are going to bother with the heft and thickness of a keyboard, you might as well just use a laptop. And, of course, it suffers terribly from it’s use of a vanilla desktop OS. I’ve actually USED a bunch of these devices, always hoping for a good experience, and I’ve come away disappointed each time. In a perfect world, Microsoft or Apple would make a version of their regular OS (allowing you to use regular applications), customized and optimized throughout for a handheld touchscreen device.

A tablet is different and needs a different interface. Unfortunately, we don’t live in a perfect world.

• Corrado

The reviews on the Archos tablet have been HORRIBLE. The CPU is slower, and battery life is nowhere NEAR 10 hours. It also comes with Windows7Starter, which lacks the … tablet/touch features. Its a resistive touch screen with no multi touch either.

The Samsung has a 600mhz atom CPU? Really? 600mhz? Seeing as how most people complain that the Atom is too slow when clocked @ 1600mhz, you mind telling me how exactly performance is going to be acceptable? Its also 7″ and 1024×600. You can’t possibly believe that WindowsXP is going to provide you a good finger interface on a 7″ 1024×600 screen. It has no multitouch, as its a resistive touchscreen. Using a stylus that can be lost is not a good thing either.

The EeePC is also a resistive touch screen. Its also twice the weight, has a slow 16gb SSD, an inch smaller, lower quality screen.

So again, I will agree its overpriced when you show me a competent tablet that has a high quality multi-touch screen.

• MrBojangles

All of these do everything the ipad does and still manages to squeeze in usb ports, card readers, video out, multi tasking, a more functional os,and in the case of the asus a keyboard as well as touch screen. All for around the same price or under as the cheapest Ipad. On the other hand the ipad does have better battery life and a apple logo.Technically if you wanted to step outside of the tablet format there are also dozens of laptops and netbooks for the same price and under all of wich have way more functionality than the ipad for the same price.

§[<http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002V3C4F8/ref=asc_df_B002V3C4F81047684?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=nextag-pc-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B002V3C4F8<]§ §[<http://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/tech4less/NP-Q1U/600?mv_pc=nextag&tts=20100304063556<]§ §[<http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch_v3.asp?px=NT&scriteria=7700347<]§

• Corrado

I’ve been saying this since day 1 that Windows does not work well on a 10″ screen with a finger interface and all the anti-iPad crew here put their fingers in their ears and screamed ‘IT WORKS FINE’. An interface needs to be designed from the ground up to work with a touch interface, and making Windows alone work fine with it using big icons won’t be enough because the ‘openness’ that everyone is clamoring for isn’t gonna do you any good when theres 50 apps you want to use, but only 2 of them work decently with your finger.

• Corrado

I think apps just need to be able to play audio while ‘backgrounded’ and generally, i’d be happy. Having to close Sirius or stitcher because someone SMS messaged me and I want to reply is simply silly. I agree that full multi-tasking is not needed, and saving the state of an app while you are in another would be enough.

• Corrado

Show me a 10″ IPS Screened multi-touch tablet device for less than $500, and I will agree that the iPad is marked up. One thing that just about EVERYONE was impressed with was the price.

• glynor

True, though Apple does it with flair. They hold them back, but just for a little while. Just barely long enough to keep the hype machine building, and give the fanatics a reason to stand in line on day one.

Then, two or three weeks later, the supply issues evaporate and they flood the market.

Sony and Nintendo and the others seem to strive for the same thing, but their execution sucks. Either there ends up being less demand than they anticipate, so some stores sell out as planned and then others have plenty of systems lying around (PS3) or they never seem to be able to flood the market with enough systems no matter what they do (Wii).

• blastdoor

Thinking back, I guess I’ve never bought a v1 apple product, either. It’s not so much that I’ve had a “policy” about it… but somehow the v1.0s always feel a little half-baked.

This might be the exception, though. I won’t run out and buy it, but I might buy it within a month or two of release (assuming no major quality control issues are revealed).

• ew

This can only mean one thing. The iPad and the GF100 are the same thing!

• MrBojangles

Ahhh i see your right. I stand corrected. I had completely forgot that it has the apple logo on it.Whew guess that’s egg on my face.Cause that most defiantly makes it worth every single marked up penny.

• Corrado

Classic tech device company.

Fixed that for you, since the same thing is done by Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony.

• Corrado

You left out the PS3. Anyway, my point is, people pay a lot of money for ‘toys’. Your $1000 HDTV is a toy, because you can get the same utility/information from a 27″ CRT for $200. People in the US spend a LOT of money on entertainment. Why do people buy $60,000 BMWs and $50,000 Audis instead of a $25,000 Ford in the same class? Why do people buy $1500 camera bodies instead of the $500 ones with the same specs? Its more than about price vs ability. Its about user experience, its about brand name, its about support, its about track record. Some companies release a product and never update the firmware, never add new features, never fix blatantly broken aspects of the device. With Apple, on the other hand, you know that in a year, they’re still going to be supporting the device. The original iPhone was released almost 3 years ago, and it still gets regular updates to fix things. Can you say the same about a 3 year old Windows Mobile device from HTC or Motorola? How about a BlackBerry? Does your 3 year old Dell laptop still get regular BIOS updates?

• glynor

l[http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/NewsSearch.asp?DocID=PD000000000000000000000000013806&query=APPLE<]§ We'll see. Sounds like classic first day supply constriction caused by "hype-building" to me, just like the iPhone and iPhone 3G had the first time around. Classic Apple.

• MrBojangles

I will respectfully agree that whether or not this is better than a netbook ,pc , or laptop do to it’s form and function is completely a matter of opinion. It’s just mho that this thing is priced way to high for what it actually does.

• glynor

I have a firm policy to never buy ANY Apple v1 product. They always refine them so much in v2 that there is a strong incentive to wait.

Still, as time has gone on since the announcement, I’ve wanted one more and more often. I also strongly suspect that multitasking will be coming in a software update, probably iPhone OS 4.0 (which will, I’d guess, bring many of the same capabilities back over to the iPhone and will likely be timed with the release of the next-gen iPhone).

In addition to the things you mentioned above, and just general web-browsing prowess, I really see two killer apps for it:

1. AirVideo. If you have a iPhone/Touch and a large video library at home on your PC(s) and you haven’t checked out AirVideo, go get the free trial version of this App right now.

2. AirMouse. A HTPC + AirMouse on an iPad may just equal HTPC remote control nirvana.

All in all, I have mixed feelings on the device. In general principle, I agree with Scott (in the recent podcast) that I’d really rather see a much more open device. However, having used an old UMPC and a number of “tablet PCs” over the past few years, I *[

• blastdoor

With something like the iPad it’s really the combination of form and functions. Nearly every *single* thing that the iPad does could probably be done better on a different device (for example, a desktop computer). But those other devices probably don’t weigh 1.5 pounds and have a 10 hour battery life. And while there are other devices that might have a 10 hour battery life and weigh 1.5 pounds, it’s not clear that they have a UI and balance of functionality that is as well suited to the form factor as the iPad (although the iPad hasn’t been released yet, so who knows how it will work out in practice).

Ultimately any product is just a balance of tradeoffs. The best product is the product that achieves the best balance. And what might be the best balance for one person might not be the best balance for someone else.

• ssidbroadcast

Seems like something else equally frivolous and over-hyped is getting released on March 26th, but I forgot what it was. Now just what /[

• blastdoor

I’m actually becoming increasingly skeptical that they will add full multitasking support for third party apps, primarily because I don’t think it’s really necessary. I think that all they really need to do is (1) allow Pandora to play music in the background and (2) save the exact state of an app on exit and then quickly restore to that state on return (this would provide the illusion of multitasking). If they did those two things (in addition to the notification server that they already added), then they could probably provide 95% of the functionality of multitasking without compromising their battery life, security, and UI goals.

• MrBojangles

“People paid over $1000 for a PS2 when they launched. People paid $400+ for Wiis when they launched.”

Yes if you paid that much just to get those at launch it is pretty insane. However i fail to see the correlation of any of those items to ipad. There all the best at what they do respectively and currently cost nowhere near your stated prices( sole exception being the $500+ graphics card which makes up the smallest possible percentage of the discrete graphics market and are not sold “frequently”).The ipad on there other hand is not being inflated way past it’s asking price. It’s starting retail is $500-$700 and it’s the best at nothing it does.Everything it does can and is done better by other devices both in the same price bracket and cheaper.

• Corrado

But you get my point. People routinely pay $250+ for video cards. I know I have. And some people only keep them for 8-10 months before upgrading (although that trend has slowed as of recently, but it used to be a very real thing).

Nitpicking the argument on minor details doesn’t invalidate the overall point, especially since I didn’t say LOTS of people buy $500+, just that people do.

• Farting Bob

people do not pay for $500 video cards frequently. They probably make less than 1% of sales by volume in the GPU market.

• Corrado

Its purely entertainment driven for me really. I love my iPhone, but typing an email thats more than 3-4 sentences really sucks due to the size, as does having to pinch zoom in and out to view real web content. While 1280×720 would have been a much better resolution than 1024×768, at least the latter will still view a website properly without side scrolling. The fact that I can get iWork for it for $30 is a boon as well, so that if I WANTED to I could actually do work on it.

I also believe they’re going to add multi-tasking to it at some point via firmware update, its just a matter of how they are going to elegantly do it. They already do it with their own apps, as iPod can run in the background, Safari doesn’t lose your open tabs, messaging and phone obviously run in the background. I believe they just want to be sure it won’t affect user experience due to someone’s poor coding, or due to people leaving 100 apps open and then complaining about lag.

• blastdoor

The only reason it would be intentional would be if somebody at NV personally offended Jobs. Otherwise, I can’t imagine that Apple would care one wit about Fermi being introduced.

• blastdoor

I’m seriously considering. I want to see it in person first. But I think it’s going to be very tempting. It seems like it might be a good way to get rid of a lot of paper documents, while also performing several other useful functions.

• Veerappan

That was my first line of thought when I saw the release date as well. Fermi + iPad on the same day.

Now I’m wondering if it’s intentional or just a coincidence.

• Corrado

People paid $500 for a PS3. People paid over $1000 for a PS2 when they launched. People paid $400+ for Wiis when they launched.

And hell, people pay $500 for video cards frequently. And those are to do nothing but be PART of a machine that plays games. Other than gaming, $500 consumer videocards do nothing that a $60 one doesn’t do. Are you in those threads telling people they are insane??

These are ACTUAL toys, let alone a glorified one.

• Corrado

I’ll be trying to get one, for sure. It fits my needs and I have a lot of iPhone software already paid for.

• Jigar

Like i care…

• Farting Bob

I expect nvidia is more annoyed by this than apple. Apple will mobilize their army of iFanboys to blog the hell out of it, nvidia will certainly get less coverage if both are released on the same day, even if we know far less about the GTX400’s than we do about the maxiPad.

• End User

Totally interested…….. 🙂

• pogsnet
    • blastdoor

I wonder if that guy was just trying to manipulate the stock price. In general one has to wonder about the incentives of financial analysts. I’m guessing that they don’t make public statements out of their love for the public.

• MrBojangles

Wow $500-$700 dollars for a glorified toy. That’s just insane.

• designerfx

sounds like apple’s not going to have a lot of thunder that day

• Xenolith

This is also near the date for the Verizon version of the Nexus One. March 23 is the rumored date for that device.

• stmok

I thought the iPad came out 3 yrs ago…
    => §[<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eF0y0IfpPU<]§

• Voldenuit

Because on that day… *[

• sweatshopking

lol@ that.

• flip-mode

Heh, that’s why Nvidia picked that day to launch.

Share this post with your friends!