Six-display Eyefinity rig lands in Damage Labs

As we mentioned in our Radeon HD 5830 review, the six-monitor-capable Eyefinity6 edition of the Radeon HD 5870 is coming soon.  We, dear reader, have the arduous but necessary task ahead of us of reviewing this unusual beast.  We will, for the good of science, strap ourselves into a chair in front of a six-display rig and play games for hours on end.  Not just anyone would endure this ordeal for your benefit, but we resolved to meet this challenge.

To that end, AMD dispatched a pair of agents into the bowels of Damage Labs yesterday to assemble an Eyefinity6 demo rig.  This formidable setup includes a Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity6 2GB graphics card, no less than six Dell P2210H 1080p monitors, and a pair of stands for the monitors.  Putting it together properly and aligning the displays is no trivial matter, although Shane and Bijan from AMD were admirably efficient.

In this shot, you can see the donut-ring mounts protruding up from the back of four monitors.  These are mounted on ball joints to provide fine-grained control of display alignments, along with maximum frustration potential when things are ever-so-slightly off.

When the threading of pipes and snaking of cables is complete, the four-display primary mount is pretty slick.  All of the cables are routed into a bunch, and the next step required is an incredibly geeky version of a barn raising.

Once four monitors were lifted upright and the second stand (for two more displays) was assembled, it was time for final alignment of the displays into as perfect and flush a wall of pixels as possible.  Here, Bijan employs a very high tech tool he brought from AMD to maintain the alignment: high-tensile connective fabric.  (Yep, sticky tape.)

We simply installed the Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity6 into our usual open-air graphics test rig.  You can see six Mini DisplayPort adapters fanning out from the back of the card.  These plug into full-sized DisplayPort cables that run to the monitors.

When the setup was complete, we had 12 glorious megapixels forming a massive, illuminated rectangle.  Effective resolution: 5760×2160.

Pictured above is Jr. Damage playing HAWX on the setup.  The single 5870 card is able to run HAWX fluidly in DirectX 10 mode across all six displays.  Another great game for this setup is DiRT 2, which also runs plenty fast at high quality.  We’ve had nice results with Dawn of War II and Sacred 2, too, although you’ll want to enable mouse acceleration for a display surface this enormous.

I probably most enjoyed playing Street Fighter IV last night on this display wall.  It worked perfectly, and the ridiculous fun of it all had me laughing out loud.  I remember, as a kid, arguing with other kids about whether the version of Pac-Man on my Atari 800 was as good as the arcade one, and whether the Atari or Commodore versions of various games were superior.  Watching a two-foot-tall Ryu battle it out with Blanka kinda puts things into perspective.

By which I mean: I win, suckas!

Once the setup was complete, we recorded a quick podcast segment with Shane.  We discussed some of the ins and outs of a setup like this one, along with the steps AMD is taking—both in its drivers and by working with game developers—to make Eyefinity arrays easier to manage.

Not every game runs perfectly, and there’s obviously still work to be done in the drivers for six-panel configurations.  Still, your rods and cones will have few virtual experiences quite like this one.

• Trymor

Wonder how much it would cost to rent one of those electronic billboards and game on it for a day?

• ImSpartacus

The resolution would suck.

• rythex

This whole technology seems ridiculous

• Rakhmaninov3

Heh lots of tech seems ridiculous at first glance. I think this is a great way of demonstrating the raw power of the 5800 series….it’s running a new game at flinkin’ 5760×2160, fluidly.

Now all we need are single monitors with that size and resolution 🙂

Dell, get on it!

• AMDisDEAD

Who’s the guy in the green with them little, tiny, hands?
    Does his bud hold his burger for him?

• Meadows

I think his bud will hold a lot of things for him.

• MadManOriginal

Hey Scott, do you call your boy ‘Damage Jr’ in real life?

• Final-Reality

So I havn’t read this whole thread, but has anyone hooked this rig up to six 1080p projectors and calibrated it to look like one massive, frameless screen?

• Farting Bob

It would require a huge blank wall, but would be great, like having your own super hi-def cinema in your house. If money was no option i would definitely do it.

• shank15217

Why would it require a “huge” blank wall? You can adjust the aperture down of one projector so that it uses less screen area and is brighter to boot.

• KGA_ATT

Great point, not only can the lens be adjusted but also the ‘landscaping’ effect on most projectors. Which could most likely reduce the need for 6 projectors to just 2, to stay slightly more Eco-friendly along side the (mega?)watt guzzling ATI product. No bezels! A clean setup in far less time than assembling 6 panels together.

Of course long hours of gaming on projectors would be quite expensive after factoring in lamp replacements with such a setup. I wish prices on lamps would change lower, like so many other consumables have.

• glynor

I haven’t done it, but it would be drool-inducing. If you’re going to do it, though, it would really be “best” to do it right. Both Christie and Barco make very nice HD projectors that have motorized lenses and software that will auto-adjust multiple projectors to line up perfectly (pixel to pixel perfect). Using those would be ideal. Of course, as mentioned in the Podcast thread… It would probably require some specialized ventilation and AC.

That, and a very, very, very large Da-Lite screen. That’d probably have to be a custom job.

With most projectors, you wouldn’t want to get too close to the surface. Short throw distances can cause vignetting (bright spots in the center of the image). Plus, it would be overpoweringly bright.

The best bet would be to set your throw to get 3-6 50″-80″ diagonal projected images. If you did a 3×1 configuration, with the projectors mounted so the image was thrown vertically (9×16 instead of 16×9), it could be incredible.

Heck, at that point, why not grab 3 more flat panel displays and mount them above (or below) the projected image and set up as a separate display group. You could use those for your email, IM, twitter, media player, and whatever else while you game. Use one of them to pull up maps and cheat-sheets for controls for complicated games.

That would be unbelievable.

• KGA_ATT

It is an unbelievable set up. A good percentage of Graphic/Video setups have the 3×1 panel setup in portrait arrangement. I suggested 2 Projectors only to save some cash…and a tight landscaping of one right on top of the other. But 3 of them displaying a tight crisp image would be stunning. I just need to hit that jackpot…

Glad you brought up the ‘heat’ factor. It sure would be the doom of any nearby computer equipment. I believe the newer DLP projectors output far less heat than the LCD and of course the CRT types, but hours of use by any projector would make things go from toasty to an inferno. Yeah, a powerful AC draw plan would be a requirement before a multiple projector deployment.

I’ve used Epson, Sharp and perhaps some other nameless brands over the years but It never really entered my mind to have one at home till recently. Who knows one might even save a few bucks when comparing to the price-ier large screen TV’s/Monitors nowadays.

• glynor

I manage a large fleet of projectors at my work (among many other things). We have a couple of Christie’s in our larger venues. They’re fantastic.

The heat output from modern high-quality DLP projectors is nothing like the older ones (certainly no more than the 5870 would put out, unless you go with ultra-high lumen projectors). The heat output from a set of three Christies would be absolutely manageable, especially in a room sized appropriately for a display of that size.

• KGA_ATT

Ha, no kidding they’re fantastic. I don’t even think Cristie’s makes a ‘value’ product for those who may put up $1-2k. I just checked out some of their Simulation projectors and some of those babies are encroaching $100k.

Hey, I like to eat so that’s a bit beyond my kinda investment.

Perhaps something a bit more frugal is in order for something that we ‘earthlings’ can afford for our home setups. Nevertheless those Matrix StIM DLP Projector’s that they make are outstanding. Great design in every feature from Native Res/Refresh Rate to MTBF. Not to mention the ‘no lamp’ required design. If you manage a fleet of projectors I’m certain your employer has a dedicated Cristie’s rep. You may be able to get some kind of pricing deal for that ‘drool’ setup you posted about. You probably wouldn’t even need 3 Projectors.

• codedivine

Man, has anybody watched this video on youtube with the beta of automatic voice captioning? The autogenerated subtitles are really funny!

• thermistor

OK, to the wannabe-LCD monitor design engineers, I literally have had 2 apart for fixin’ the last couple of weeks. The CCFL light tubes reside behind the upper and lower bezels, with the link to the 3-wide bezel-less monitors essentially demonstrating the left/right bezels have nothing under them except structural members.

To make a bezel-less monitor, you’d have to have some way to have indirect lighting shine through the glass LCD totally from behind. I toyed with the idea on paper using existing monitors, and it’s do-able, but I’d still have 3-5 millimeters separation between screens. And it would be very fragile.

This whole eyefinity thing has really captured my imagination…to all the naysayers, I haven’t been this excited about a new tech wrinkle in a long time, even if I never plunk down the dough for the hardware.

• fpsduck

According to Ars, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 supports both AMD -[

• pogsnet
    • SomeOtherGeek

Scott,

The first thing I saw when I enter TR was the Podcast for the Eyefinitely stuff and I thought, geez, how am I gonna “hear” this, then I was the post! Awesome of you guys.

And I’m sure you are going to be up all night enjoying this! Make sure you invite some neighbors over. Also, try a movie and see what happens. I wonder if the spaces between monitor will annoy or would you get used to it?

• Krogoth

Meh, Eyefinity is another gimmick like Nvidia’s 3D Vision.

• flip-mode

Meh, you’re off point. Eyefinity is useful for just about any application – gaming, moving, CAD (yes!), spreading out several different applications, etc.

3D Vision has very, very niche uses.

• Krogoth

Except Matrox has been doing it for years.

Eyefinty’s PR catch is multi-monitor gaming not the other stuff where multi-mointor setups are more useful.

• flip-mode

Um, no. Eyefinity is just the ability to do a seamless desktop across multiple monitors. Pretty useful. Goes far beyond gaming. I gave you a beginner’s list – did you ignore it? Gaming, movies, CAD, multiple apps spread out, hi-res presentations….

• fpsduck

and yes, pr0n. ;-D

• djgandy

We can already do multiple applications across many monitors. I’ve had a 4 monitor set-up. I prefer them registered as separate too as you can maximize to a monitor.

This is completely separate from eyefinity. The wonder of eyefinity is that you can render such a high resolution in real time without a huge performance loss.

• Krogoth

AMD is just putting a marketing spin on an old idea. Displayport interface makes it easier to implement.

At very least, Eyefinity will bring some competition in multi-monitor setup market. (Medical, CAD, financial, digital presentations etc)

• flip-mode

Yeah, dedicating die area to the feature is “marketing spin”.

• indeego

Considering those markets need highly reliable drivers for the apps that run on them, I doubt this does anything for threatening their dominance (some of which ATI already has via workstation marketsg{<.<}g)

• Palek

Meh, another “Meh” Krogoth post.

• Meadows

KROGER IS NOT IMPRESS

• matic

You know you need a girl when your first thought is how would look p0rn on it…

• UberGerbil

Damage Jr is going to be both the most-envied kid amongst his friends and permanently spoiled by this experience. Here’s something to mull: when Damage Jr is Damage Sr’s age, whatever gaming / computer tech generally available then will as far beyond this as today’s stuff is beyond Pac Man on the Atari 800.

• khands

Super reality, like virtual reality, only better than real reality.

• flip-mode

IS THAT A SILICON WAFER on the shelf in the top picture?

• Damage

Yep. K8s!

• flip-mode

OMG, that’s kewl.

• ImSpartacus

Dude, that’s bullshit. I want one!

If dipshits at American Chopper get to bust entire wafers, why can’t ol’ Spartacus take one home?

§[<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4ngrnLULOY<]§

• indeego

So cost:
    (6) 22″ Dell’s ($209 each) $1254
    Ergotron quad+Dual display mounts: $329+$269=$598
    Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinty Edition (~$450/each)
    or
    XFX 5970 Eyefinity Edition ($1000)

So roughly with shipping $$2500-3000 maximum + utility company complaints. You could probably get lower with Dell discounts/coupons. Not all that badg{<.<}g s[

• crsh1976

Plus the actual computer, which you’ll surely need…

• indeego

Or you already have. You could also use projectors as mentioned in another post, removing the bezel issue and mounting issues. (But adding heat concerns and alignment issues all the sameg{<.<}g

• grantmeaname

$1000 american? Holy crap!

• khands

I’m pretty sure the estimates are 1/2 that much, I don’t know what indeego is smoking.

• indeego

I got my $1000 quote from Hexus.net and the Press release on the XFX card. The TR podcast mentions half that amount with some uncertaintyg{<.<}g

• Damage

Likely price range from AMD on the Eyefinity6 card is “$400-500.” Final pricing hasn’t been announced.

• RagingDragon

$1000 would be the XFX 5970 Eyefinity, which is equivalent to a pair of 5870 Eyefinity cards (unlike the reference 5970’s it runs at same clock speeds as a 5870, has 4GB of RAM, and 6 display port outputs). ASUS and Saphire are also selling cards with similar prices and specs.

• grantmeaname

hey moron, I was replying to the post directly above mine in which the poster stated the card was going to cost $1000. That’s why when you’re browsing, my post starts with “#61,”.
          Reading comprehension?

• khands

Chill dude,

I had your post up when I was writing and put the wrong name down, changed it already.

• Lans

That looks about right but personally, I have been considering 3 display setup and I think that’ll be more common.

(3) 22″ Dell’s ($209 each) $627
      Radeon HD 5870 ~$400

$1027 total; probably lot less if you are upgrading (I suspect many people already have dual setup: $209 + $400 = $609).

A Ergotron triple display mount would be nice but… that costs more than a monitor plus the need for 3 monitors horizontally place isn’t there (as opposed to need stand for second row of 3 monitors on top).

Other options I see are just get a 1080p monitor and a video card ($209 + $200 probably already good enough, $409 or ~$600 less). Here I could choose to send more on a better monitor for better color/contrast uniformity etc.

Nvidia 3D: ~$400 (Acer GD235HZ, lowest I can find so far) + $200 (glasses) + $400 (GTX 285 class) = ~$1000 (or practically no diff from 3 display Eyefinity setup)

Nvidia 3D Surround: 3x ~$400 (Acer GD235HZ) + $200 (glasses) + 2x $500 (GTX 295 class) = ~$2400 (or 2x cost of similar 3 display Eyefinity setup)

From the few reviews I read, for 1080p, I think you definitely need GTX 260 or better (for 30fps, and sometimes even below). 3x that, and I am guessing you need dual GTX 295 (or quad SLI).

• rUmX

Not a bad price considering I paid over $3000CAD for my 42″ Sony Bravia 1080p HDTV display alone in Christmas 2006.

I’d guess that in 2 years from now Eyefinity/Surround Gaming setups will be more common and even more affordable.

• Damage

Added a video of us playing some DiRT 2. No, bezel compensation is not active. Looks like it’s still not quite stable with six displays. Hoping AMD will have a driver fix before long.

• Palek

• Damage

You don’t hit your target very often?

• Palek

Heh. 🙂

I suck at jazztags, my previous post was supposed to be struck out, not underlined. Fixed.

• quasi_accurate

One thing I’ve noticed is that people who have never tried Eyefinity all cite the bezels as the reason they would not go EF. However, current Eyefinity owners unanimously attest that the bezels do not detract from the game play experience. Take it from me, the bezels are filtered out by your brain once you are playing the game and you do not notice it at all. The only time it becomes noticeable is when a fixed object on screen is split across two monitors across the bezel. And that’s fairly rare.

• VaultDweller

Ever heard of selection bias? Eyefinity owners are not exactly a reasonable sample to use to determine whether or not aspects of Eyefinity are annoying.

• indeego

Logitech mx 518 ftwg{

• Kent_dieGo

The 6 monitor setup does not seem very usable for daily use. Three monitors in portrait mode seems much more practical.

• eh?

I’m another one whose first thought was, “hmmm I think three big monitors in portrait mode might work better”

• anotherengineer

note to self

break into damage labs and procure 6 monitors and ATI eyefinity muwahahaha

• bjm

Per the last picture in the posting, might I recommend raising the chair height and/or lowering the desk level? Certainly the hours of testing you will be enduring with this setup, neck pain may develop. We only wish the safest working environment for our resident editor and brave reviewers.

• Scrotos

Too bad this never made it to market and/or the patents were never licensed.

§[<http://www.seamlessdisplay.com/products_radius320.htm<]§ That would rock for a 3-display setup and I'm sure it could have been extended to 6.

• flip-mode

Freakin Awesome. And I’ll never freakin own such a beastly beast :frown:

You have an awesome job, Mr. Wasson.

• FuturePastNow

Scott, would adding a second, normal, 5870 enable Crossfire on the six displays?

• Damage

Yeah, but it would cut the effective memory size if you paired this 2GB card with a 1GB card.

• StashTheVampede

Can someone (with bigger bucks than I) go at this setup with 6x LCD projectors? I could see having a throw 10-12 feet and playing the six at the sweet spots to remove the bezels.

• UberGerbil

LCD projectors are expensive and low resolution. And you need a near-dark cave to really make the colors pop. Everybody fantasizes about LCD projectors until they actually price and use them.

• StashTheVampede

Fine. Skip the LCD part and get setup with 6x 1080p projectors. Dim the lights and start playing!

• mesyn191

1080p projectors are starting to get under $1k right now. Image quality wise they aren’t bad at all, even in a room with some lights. If you put em’ in a dark (ish) room and turn down the brightness the bulbs last much longer and the image quality looks fantastic.

It’d still be pretty damn expensive to have 2 or more of em’ in a EyeFinity config. but I think if you’re gonna do EyeFinity it’d be the way to go since it’d be totally bezeless and you can get some truly gigantic images going easily.

• SecretMaster

Also wanted to throw it out there.

What would the power draw of running 6 of those LCD’s be? Granted if you can afford a 6 display eyefinity setup you probably don’t worry too much about the electric bill, but I’m curious as to how much extra it is.

• Vaughn

Good question but not a simple answer since depending on your region and where you live rates are different.

• Bombadil

Why not get a bunch of cheap LCDs and physically remove the LCD panels from the frames? You could even cut the offending bezels off, remount the panels, and epoxy the frames together. The price on those multiple monitor stands is ridiculous.

• Vrock

What’s the real advantage of this over a 52″ HDTV? I can’t think of many. The extra resolution doesn’t seem worth it at normal viewing distances, and the bezels and cost of ownership are serious drawbacks.

• Skrying

Resolution.

• ImSpartacus

Ding ding ding, we have a winrar!

• Vrock

The benefits of which offset by the viewing distance, bezels, and prohibitive cost of ownership.

• tomc100

A three display setup would be advantageous if the two side displays provide peripheral vision, especially in fps where wider views provide an “unfair” advantage in multiplayer. This 6 display setup is plain unnecessary when it’s better to hook up your computer to a 60″ HDTV where you can get a clear unobstructed view.

• quasi_accurate

Not the same. I’ve ran a 37″ 1080p LCD as the main display before. I now have 3×24″ in Portrait EF mode. You might argue that I’m better off with the 37″, but the high resolution makes it much more immersive. When you are sitting that close, you can see the individual pixels on the 37″, I can’t imagine 60″. Think of it this way, imagine playing a game on a single 24″ at 1024*640, then playing at nearly 3x the resolution at 1920×1200. That’s the difference.

• DaveBaumann

Remember that the 6 Edition can do that – with the flexability of some of the new options added to Catalyst 10.3 you can easily flick from one Eyefinity mode (i.e. 3×1 plus 3 extended, for instance) to another (3×2), so for you FPS and racing games where you want the added peripheral vision you go into one mode, and for RTS games that add field of view with resolution you go into another mode.

Flexibility is the key to this configuration.

• ImSpartacus

I agree. I can’t think of any good use for a 6-monitor setup. 3 monitors is where it’s at.

• can-a-tuna

You can put a different output to each single screen and of course the combined resolution is a *bit* better than 1080p.

• StashTheVampede

With six displays, I’d actually like one set to see right in front of me and the other to be right behind me (depending on the game). I could see carving out a map view on a screen, perhaps a teammate specific game or a third person view in another picture as well.

• Spyder22446688

The bezels drive me insane. Could never do it.

• khands

Combine a 6-projector setup on a giant screen FTW?

• indeego

Yeah this. Wonder why they didn’t go this route? I was amazed with a recent projector purchase how much quieter they have become from just 4 years agog{<.<}g

• cass

§[<http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/20/nhk-demonstrates-8k-display-16x-more-detail-than-1080p/<]§ §[<http://gizmodo.com/5375522/want-a-4k-tv-sony-has-a-76000-set-with-your-name-on-it<]§ Just quit whining about the bezels and pony up for a real display. Any set measured in Meters instead of inches ought to do it. *-edit ... A little humor for you there Vrock. I am also more excited about the larger hi-rez than I am about the multiple panes. I like multi monitors with one app in each in a larger desktop, but not one app spanned across multiples.

• conlusio

This is just absolutely awesome. Next step – driving multiple 1920×1200 televisions 🙂 That would eliminate all those bezel complaints.

• Trymor

What 1920×1200 televisions have no bezels at all? I like the idea of multiple front (or even rear!) projectors, but alignment would be tough, not to mention color shift between even identical projectors, but hey, thats just me.

• glynor

I mentioned it elsewhere, but both Christie and Barco make projectors with features designed to assist you in precisely aligning multiple projectors. They aren’t cheap (no 1080p projectors are), but they work beautifully. They have motorized lenses with very fine control to align perfectly pixel-to-pixel.

I’ve seen them demoed at NABShow in the past. I’ll DEFINITELY be checking them out at this year’s show in April.

They also have very sophisticated color controls, of course. But that problem is no different than with any LCD display.

• marvelous

r[

• Vrock

I would not. The bezels are a deal breaker, and the resolution advantage is minimized if you’re sitting at the proper seating distance.

• sreams

The “proper” seating distance is exactly where the advantage comes from. How far would you normally sit from a 22″ monitor? How far would you normally sit from a 60″ TV? Sit as close as you normally would to the 22″ monitor, and add five more for peripheral vision. It’s a much different experience than sitting 10 feet back from a giant TV.

• marvelous

Yet you probably haven’t even seen 1 in action. Immersion you can’t experience with a single monitor. You see much of the gaming world that has a huge advantage over a single monitor no matter how big it is.

• Vrock

It’s the SLI of monitors. Sure, there’s a benefit, but it costs big bucks, there are other drawbacks, and you can get similar performance for less money with a single unit.

• flip-mode

I see it as a very niche thing. Fractions of a percent of gamers will be able to afford this. To me, it has more interesting potential for businesses where large, high resolution presentations could be extremely useful.

• paulWTAMU

I’ve seen similar things at the local NOAA office, but each screen had different stuff on it (and they had one large TV with a really fancy weather map). I have no clue what the set up was–what flavor of Unix or whatever they were running or what hardware they had to drive a total of 8 displays…but it was awesome for thier stuff.

For gaming? Eh. One big TV please.

• Meadows

Proper seating distance is 20-30 inches from the face to the screen.

• Vrock

Well, I was going with SMPTE and THX published standards, designed to provide maximum immersion and minimal eye strain. SMPTE calls for a minimum of a 30 degree viewing angle, THX calls for a range betwen 26 and 36 degrees. For a setup like the Eyefinity, I calculate that to be about 8 feet-ish. Yes, those are standards for viewing movies, not games…but the principle is the same. Of course, people can sit as close or as far away as they like, but I would think those of techie kind would want to go with mathmatically derived standards. I’m just sayin’. 🙂

• Meadows

Not likely. Two reasons.

1: the resolution would start losing its point like you said.
            2: games can, and do benefit from having images in your peripheral vision, as it’s kind of a stepping stone towards “virtual reality”

Sure, such a monitor setup might require more eye movements, but the real world does, too. At least it’s still not making you twist your neck around all the time, so any fatigue-related insinuations are at a safe distance.

• quarantined

Blarph, I’d rather just have a single display myself rather than looking through what is effectively a massive window grid. Maybe if Dell made monitors with much smaller bezels, then I’d be more inclined to daydream about acquiring such a setup with the disposable income I don’t have.

• flip-mode

Chicks dig it.

• khands

Agreed, 6 projectors hooked up this way would be far superior.

• blitzy

agreed, even a projector would be better than this

• Krogoth

It is just another gimmick that is catered towards hardcore gamers with a ton of disposable income. I don’t find it to be useful. There are already multi-monitor solutions in markets where it matters. Eyefinity offers nothing compelling for them.

• wira020

If 1 monitor is broken, you can send it to repair and still use the other 5… if your 52″ TV is broken… well… you know right?..

When not gaming, can assign 1 task per monitor… i believe it’d be easier to manage that way… or can play game at lower half of the setup and the other half will open browser or something.. it’d be great for me, i like to read walkthroughs while playing games.. hehe…

And yes, it does have drawbacks.. that’s all matter to each people preferences maybe… and right now i’m collecting money to buy more monitor… it’d be one of my continous upgrade paths… my AOC 2434pw have slim bezel at the side… so i dont think the bezel will matter much… and there’s some very thin bezel model coming soon from numerous company.. and i think i’ve seen some sony tv with such feature…

What’s stopping you from using these on 6 HDTV’s?

• Vrock

Space, money, and sanity.

• Usacomp2k3

Could you run 12 monitors using 2 of these setups in 2d mode?

• khands

You’d probably need another card.

• bjm

A second head above your right shoulder, with two eyes minimum, would also prove to be beneficial.

• Usacomp2k3

I’m thinking like a day-trader or someone like that.

• FuturePastNow

I don’t see why two cards couldn’t run 12 displays.

• Cessna
        • khands

I don’t know what I’d do with 64 Megapixels.

• thill9

Guess the Samsung thin bezel displays are too expensive for AMD to ship out for evals.

• Pax-UX

while it’s nice, the black boards on the monitors completely rune it. But a nice Halo product.

• Spotpuff

Want. Go AMD.

• Welch

Awesome little write up Damage, as stated by a few others who shared my same fear, the bezels sort of ruin it. There is a company out there that make border-less displays, but they run a very pretty penny……. with 6 of those in that same configuration, your talking some of the most beautiful game play-age ever! Thanks for the write up, keep it up.

• roont

I don’t think its big enough hahaha

• Sargent Duck

Dang.

And I thought I was doing well with my Dell 2407 and 2208.

• liquidsquid

Man, I just want Eyefinity to span 3 monitors across on one card for work, this (I hate to say it) is overkill.

• bdwilcox

/[

• Palek

Not enough! Tar and feathers!!! Tar and feathers!!!

• gbcrush

Awesome! And yet, perfectly showing the issue I feared. Having a nice fat double-bezel across the center of the action, right where any aiming ritcule or symbology would be most important. :s

Makes games like Street Fighter IV more usable than HAWX in my mind.

Still have AMD’s ear? Any chance you could ask them to (in partnership with game designers I suppose) make changes to that accomidate 6-panel setups in shooters and sims?

I’m thinking it would be great (for games like HAWX epsecially) if the bottom 3 panels provided the regular 3-panel wide display, and the top 3 panels provided an additional viewing real-estate above (sort of like looking up through the glass of a cockpit).

That is, give me a mode with standard 3-panel view with bonus real-estate atop, as opposed to centering on a full 6-panel view (and an ugly bezel).

I know, I know, this works better for mall and airport displays rather than gaming in an enthusiast home, but still… 😀

• Damage

I was talking with them about just that feature yesterday. Those kinds of changes are mostly up to game developers and are apparently not as trivial to do as one might think. But man, putting the crosshair in the lower-middle display and allowing us to see more sky would be excellent, IMO. I hope it happens.

• wibeasley

Would you prefer three 27″/30″ monitors (rotated in portrait mode) to these six?

To get a comparable pixel count, I guess you’d have to go to non-TN panels. I know that pumps the price over $4000, instead of this setup that’s under $2000.

• gbcrush

Eyefinity happens to be making a bit of a splash in another forum I check.

One of the users has said he’s preferred 3 Wide screen monitors rotated in Portrait mode to 3 landscape. Of course, a good portion of that preference is incomplete eyefinity support in some games (stretched HUD elements) and having to allllllllll…….lllll the way to the left of such a screen to find the windows start button 😀

• wibeasley

The HUD is stretched when it’s in landscape mode, but not portrait? Huh.

• UberGerbil

I guess he’s too busy being awed by the screen to notice there’s a dedicated key on his keyboard for that?

• SecretMaster

It looks pretty awesome, but I still say the bezels detract from the whole experience. Once those bezel-free monitors come out however… now there is a treat.

• Vasilyfav

Exactly the reason why I would rather own one 2560*1600 30″ monitor than 6*whatever ones.

The black bars totally ruin it.

• Kulith

+1 -although this is cool, I would still prefer a single monitor.

• drfish

Haha, sweet!

..but not quite as awesome as mine:
    §[<https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=70862<]§ ;)

• flip-mode

Very nice. While you’re at it, broom away some of those cob webs!

• drfish

Curses! Foiled by the camera flash. I swear it looks clean down there when it’s dark.

• ssidbroadcast

LOL @ the picture of your son playing. The surface area of the display space is probably taller than he is.

• WillBach

q[

• SubSeven

Very nice!!!! What prompted AMD to be oh so generous? Was this something you asked for or they volunteered (in hopes of bringing more exposure of eyefinity to the world)?

• Forge

+1. Did you ask or did they volunteer? Will you be keeping it?

• Damage

No, we didn’t ask for such a thing, of course. AMD inquired about our availability for a visit to our offices for an “Eyefinity demo day,” and we made arrangements. Only yesterday did we realize they’d be leaving this setup behind for our use in the Eyefinity6 review–something they’re apparently doing for a quite a few publications. What happens to it after that, I dunno! Don’t really have room to leave it set up forever.

• khands

Sounds perfect for a giveaway *hint hint*

• Forge

Good to hear. I’d imagine getting a gift of that magnitude would be a very strong temptation to bias, but I know you’re above such things.

I wouldn’t be, so I had to be paranoid.

• SnowboardingTobi

So…. where do you live and when can we come by and play?