It’s official: the iPad is coming on April 3

So, that March 26 date the rumor mill spit out was incorrect—but not all that far off. Apple has officially set the date for the retail debut of its "magical and revolutionary" slate device, and it turns out U.S. customers will be able to pick up the iPad at Apple retail stores on Saturday, April 3.

Apple will also start taking pre-orders from its website starting on March 12. The April 3 launch date only covers Wi-Fi-enabled versions of the iPad, whose 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB flavors will sell for $499, $599, and $699, respectively. Folks willing to shell out the $130 premium for 3G connectivity will have to wait until "late April" for those variants to arrive.

What about our friends in other nations? "All models of iPad will be available in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the UK in late April," says Apple, adding that it will announce international pricing some time next month. The company plans to release the device in additional countries later this year, but today’s press release contains no additional specifics—just some more adjectives.

• MadManOriginal

It’s superior for browsing*

*Apple dictates that browsing the Apple way means no flash.

so for a 16GB iPad with 3G (the cheapest variant that is actually appealing), we’re looking at $529.

That sounds like an unbelievable price for what is essentially scaled up iPhone hardware without a camera or GPS or the ability to make phone calls.

The exchange rate that in apple-world is one dollar to the pound! Yeah!

Magical marketing, the revolutionary concept of making something BIGGER and less funcional, finished off with the unbelievable quantity of clueless punters who will still buy this over any of the more useful/practical/powerful products in this price bracket.

OMG
    Children, please play outside.

• DrCR

It’s superior for browsing….yeah, right.

• Rakhmaninov3

LOL that’s perfect! Also, Google can promise free iPads to all Gmail users!

• MrBojangles

“and they certainly don’t do it from their MacBook Pros or iMacs which they’ve stopped buying because they’re such a fad with no lasting popularity at all.”

My point was that the imac’s and macbooks are not massively popular as you tried to sarcastically imply they were. They make up less than 10% of the global sells of pc’s and that most definitively puts them in the minority of what the mass public is actually useing. Whether or not apple makes profit off the ones they sell is completely irrelevant to the point.

“You should take your ignorant distortions of the truth somewhere else. ”

Really good advice you should be listening to.

• danazar

You do realize that 10% of the market is millions of laptops, and that every single one that Apple sells is at the high end commanding a premium and higher profits, right? Apple sells more than 1/3 of all laptops priced over $1,000. That’s huge, and while it doesn’t give them the biggest market share, it does give them continuing financial success.

And they just keep selling the damn things, something that kind of proves they’re not a fad at all. You should take your ignorant distortions of the truth somewhere else.

• MrBojangles

I also think it would have been the perfect release date.Should even include a card with APRIL FOOLS!! written on it.Everyone may be a little confused at first, but don’t worry once they start using it they’ll get the joke.

• NeelyCam

lol – brilliant!

• NeelyCam

That’s what they said about the iPhone

• MadManOriginal

Clarke’s Third Law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

So um yeah, this is a big iPod Touch with optional 3G. Hardly sufficiently advanced to be indistinguishable from magic. I’m call shenanigans, and maybe a lawsuit! (anyone remember the ’16million colors’ lawsuit? Well this thing is NOT magical!)

• crsh1976

Now if only MS would hurry up and release their Courier tablet already, the UI demos that went around the web yesterday had me drooling (a first for MS).

• ronch

I don’t get it. First, they bash this product (and rightfully so), and now they’re getting excited because it’s coming on April 2? WTF. And please, ‘revolutionary’ is enough BS, but ‘magical’? Please.

• MadManOriginal

But it’s MAGICAL…i[

• MrBojangles

” and they certainly don’t do it from their MacBook Pros or iMacs ”

Seeing how apple controls less than 10% of the global and US pc market share.Your right they apparently don’t.

• Firestarter

I just wish the local news networks would forget about this thing. It’s just another consumer electronics device you nimwits, no need to make it the first item on tonight’s news!

• Meadows

Read comment #62.

• blastdoor

Apple is doomed!

• Krogoth

Are you coming out of the closet?

• Meadows

Are you trying to force your fetish on me? Do you honestly think that’s going to work out? Giving words into my mouth is /[

• danazar

Yeah, because the iPhone is SUCH a fad. And the iPod before that, most people probably don’t even remember what an iPod is anymore it’s such a fad of the 90s! Nobody buys anything on iTunes anymore, and they certainly don’t do it from their MacBook Pros or iMacs which they’ve stopped buying because they’re such a fad with no lasting popularity at all.

• albundy

might be worth jailbreaking it if you can get all video file types to work without a hitch, otherwise its just a frisbee or a fugly e-reader.

• YeuEmMaiMai

another giant pos from apple that people will buy in droves cause they are stupid……

• WaltC

I think the really cool thing is how “iPad” rhymes so perfectly with “fad.” Any guesses as to how long this particular fad from Apple will last until the next Apple fad is introduced?

Apple often reminds me of the three-ring circus I saw as a boy (Barnum and Bailey?). When the crowd grows bored with the attraction in ring #1 they turn their attention to ring #2, and then likewise to ring #3.

The trick for the circus master is to constantly create new and interesting acts in all three rings so as to keep the circus solvent. Apple does a masterful job of marketing in this regard, but I cannot help but wonder how long the company can keep it up.

• paulWTAMU

iPad. The most bloated Apple product. Period.

/end pun. Feel free to egg me but I felt compelled to make yet another lame menstruation joke.

• wobbles-grogan

Did you mean…..lol? omg i neva wuda tought i wuda herd gd england n d interweb! 🙂

• bimmerlovere39

That’s the most redeeming value in this thing… add the stand with keyboard, and you have a decent little nettop – would work well for a kitchen computer or similar.

• Corrado

Why are you so angry about it? In case you haven’t noticed… people LOVE their iPod touches and iPhones. LOTS of people use it for 90% of their computing needs. I know it does just about everything I do on my laptop, only its lighter, has a nicer screen, and gets 10 hours of battery on top of being able to run all the apps I already own on my iPhone.

Yes. Its a big iPod touch. And maybe.. just maybe… thats good enough for a lot of people’s computing needs.

• FuturePastNow

What is better depends on your usage. The iPad is more like an appliance, easy to use and all but impossible to break (from a software standpoint).

I think that, for a tech tard, the iPad would certainly be better than a netbook.

• thecoldanddarkone

Well you can add a stand from apple. In fact I would add the weight of it+ipad for the real weight. I wouldn’t buy or use an ipad it without it.

• bimmerlovere39

I’m not far from where you are; the handwriting recognition on my XP tablet is quite iffy, but workable when needed. More importantly, though, is the fact that I can actually /[

• thecoldanddarkone

That’s a poor awnser compared to something that has an active digitizer and palm rejection. The fact is the web wasn’t designed for finger touch. You won’t need to zoom in and out at 1024×768 with a stylus, but it’s likely you will without one. Things like picking the next page in the forums can be a tad difficult without zooming.

I do own tablets and I also own a reg capacitative touchscreen phone.

• Krogoth

Are you in denial now?

• xzelence

Hahaha. I laughed out loud.

• Meadows

I didn’t. Your comment is weird.

• sschaem

A netbook, for that price I prefer to buy an Xbox360!
    The xbox got a much better GFX chip, a DVD drive and HDMI out.
    Netbook sux and are overpriced…
    and the game collection, more like what game collection.
    Have you tried to play Dirt2 on a netbook ? unplayable much better on an XBox and its so much cheaper to..

netbook make no sense ! people should get xbox instead

Funny how some people think.

My bet is that Apple will make this device format popular, and like the mp3 player will dominate the market. And like always will take all the credit.
    (You will most likely see iPad devices used all over the place in the next 5 years, hospitals to restaurants to schools… “they will have an app for that”)

Disclosure because my comment might confuse some:
    I never owned any Apple product (I’m a c64 guy, not Apple II ).
    But I do have a spot ready on my coffee table for a slate device.
    (Apple or Win7/Ion2, whatever come first)

and amazingly I already have a samsung NC10…
    so why would I want an iPad when I already have a netbook…
    I feel half the poster in this thread just got very confused 🙂
    (?? Why will he buy an iPad when a netbook is so much superior and cheaper?? our minds are blown)
    Clues are at the top…

• glynor

That’s not true. You can use a stylus if you want to. There are a number of companies that make capacitive touch-screen capable stylus sticks, which work just fine on the iPhone and iPod Touch.

• blastdoor

My handwriting is terrible, so I don’t think any computer could read it. I’m hoping that the larger on-screen keyboard is a little easier to use than the iPhone version. The ability to add voice notes to documents might be nice, too (presumably someone could write an app to do that).

• bimmerlovere39

To me, the iPad’s inability to use a stylus input for actually handwriting notes (ala a Windows XP/Vista/7 with OneNote) is the dealbreaker. Without the ability to handwrite notes, I fail to see the advantage of this over a smartphone for mobile web/light mobile app use, and at best its a wash with a netbook for sofa computing.

At $829, I just can’t see choosing an iPad PLUS a laptop over, say, an HP tm2t at $1050 (Touchscreen, Stylus, Win7 Home Premium x64, SU4100, 4GB DDR3, a 320GB HDD and WWAN from Sprint, Verizon, or AT&T).

Of course, I’d rather have a ThinkPad X201t, but that’s in a whole ‘nother league.

• Krogoth

You get turn on by men in drag?

Never knew you went that way. 😉

• End User

I am so looking forward to getting one.

And no, a netbook won’t cut it for what I need it for. I’ve tried with my 1201N and the clamshell/keyboard/touchpad form factor is way to clunky (ugh).

• MadManOriginal

To people’s credit it does a lot less than the rumors predicted.

• Meadows

I always knew something wasn’t right about you.

• ludi

Kearney: “Dolph, take a memo on your Newton: Beat up Martin.”

(Dolph scrawls “Beat up Martin”)

Newton: /[

• Krogoth

Just in time for my next period.

• Hattig

Agreed that the UI of the iPad is going to be the main innovation in terms of usability.

I will withhold final judgement until I see how serious applications fare on the device – iWork being the first. I know that it will be generally good for media consumption because it’s building and extending from the iPhone base, but that’s just one use case, and not enough for me to buy it.

• grantmeaname

“So, that March 26 date the rumor mill spit out was incorrect—”
    I totally interpreted that as Fermi. D’oh, wrong news article.

• paulWTAMU

I haven’t found one yet; hence my initial interest in this, but nope, no handwriting recognition on it. 🙁

• SomeOtherGeek

And just 2 (maybe this should be a Etc 2 post?) days after April’s Fool day. Skipping the whole day!

• l33t-g4m3r

unbelievable price? got that right. thing’s worth maybe 200$.
    I’d rather buy a netbook.

• opinionated

A couple of points here. One….the starting price is lower than was expected. However, without much trouble at all, you can accessorize yourself into a pretty hefty price tag. Just adding 3G, which most people expected to be included, raises the price to $629. Two…..people expected a higher price because they expected something other than a crippled version of a fully functional tablet pc or something other than an enlarged ipod touch.

• glynor

No, I’m certainly not convinced at all. The main problem with the iPad as announced is lack of Multitasking. However, I have actually used a number of the older UMPCs and Tablet-style PCs. I’ve LONG been looking for a viable tablet-style PC, for some work-related needs that I have, and I can say this…

A desktop OS is a *[

• Welch

OK….. Lets cut the shit, EVERYONE and there mother (and hopefully grandmothers) get the freaking clue. Its an over-sized, under powered Ipod Touch with no amazing abilities other than to make the screen large enough that grandma can dial your number….. oh wait it doesn’t even make phone calls, Christ what a useless first generation piece of crap.

I say to hell with the “Can it fit in an manila envelope”

A true test of its “Magical” size.

“But can it fit up Steve Job’s tight a**?”

• danny e.

amazon should sue their asses off.

• xtalentx

The 5830 may not be the best card/price option but the rest of the line up is very solid. So I give it a pass.

The iPad is just crap all around.

• swaaye

You sound like you’re convinced that this is the ideal tablet, if there is such a thing.

The older tablets tried to be notebooks as well, with them having full keyboards and such. Their desktop OS also didn’t limit your application choices. So while the Apple Ipad is simpler and more streamlined for its supposed purpose, it’s also much more limited. The pricing is better than most tablet PCs however, but it still is pretty high.

• Spurenleser

They should release it on April 1st.

• A_Pickle

What *some* people expected. I expected it to be pretty low, given that before the iPad, they had no competition for the low price point that PC netbooks are hitting right now.

• AMDisDEAD

As it turns out, H.H. Precision underestimated the number of child slave laborers it required to assemble the beasts. Steve Jobs jumped in and struck a deal with California and Texas prisons to make up the capacity. AT least, now the units will be made in America.
    I wonder if when those prisoners are released will they be able to get past Apple’s HR department to get hired.

• bdwilcox

You should get a Newton.

• Mr Bill

Its got IPad/ITouch times the screen area at less than half IPad/ITouch times the cost of ITouch?

• Shining Arcanine

I thought that this was already out. It is not out yet and it is already old news. :/

• glynor

Weight, thickness, and user interface are extremely important on a device with this form factor.

None of the previous tablet PCs were viable mostly because of these three considerations. The most important of the three is certainly the UI. A desktop OS does not a good tablet make.

• Corrado

What do you use that has decent hand writing recognition? I’m not trying to troll, its just that I’ve used a Wacom Bamboo tablet with Vista, 7, and Snow Leopard and it just… its just not really usable for me. Maybe I just have bad and inconsistent handwriting? I constantly have to erase and redo to the point that its not worth the effort.

• Jigar

Like i care again ?

• swaaye

Is this better than Tablet PCs, that have been around forever, in ways other than just weight/thickness/marketing? I have a feeling that it’s a lot less flexible in what you can run on it…..

• Hemotoxin

• dpaus

/[

• Meadows

PC Hardware Exploded.

• dpaus

LOLZ. You know, seriously, an iPad Mini would be really cool if they just added a phone to it…

Even in light of the 5830? Still, just wait until Fermi ships.

• Hemotoxin

In other news, nobody gives a ass rats*.

*yes I did just reference PoTC BITE ME.

• indeego

To Apple’s credit the price is/was much lower than people expectedg{<.<}g

• ModernPrimitive

6 months from then… ‘We bring you the Magical and Revolutionary iPad Mini !!!! It does everything the Ipad Touch does but fits the same case as an iPod Touch !”

🙂

• highlandr

So its magical, revolutionary, and has an unbelievable price, eh?

The ad company must have been struggling:
    l[<"So it does more than an Ipod touch?"<]l r[<"Well, no."<]r l[<"But it has a camera like the iphone?"<]l r[<"Not yet."<]r l[<"Well, at least the price is low, right?"<]l r[<"We don't see a need for that at this time."<]r l[<"So how exactly should we describe it?"<]l r[<"We like the words magical, revolutionary, and unbelievable. Go with that."<]r

• paulWTAMU

Without handwriting recognition, I couldnt care much less. Pity cause otherwise pretty neat…but that’s a dealbreaker for me.

• CasbahBoy

Hey, thats what I came here to post! THIS IS A PC SITE NOT A MAC SITE WHINE WHINE

The product is bound to do reasonably well, but I have my doubts as to whether it will compare to the runaway and continuous success of the iPhone – even when it they are so clearly positioning it to piggyback on that.

• flip-mode

Shortly, Nvidia will announce that the GTX 4xx launch has been rescheduled to April 3.

• xtalentx

Still one of the most underwhelming products of the year…

• bdwilcox

AND THE CROWD GOES WILD!!! yeah…

LOL MAC REPORT!

*ahem* sorry. Looks interesting – a giant iPod Touch is what I was hoping for and that’s what it turned out to be. I was kind of let down at first but the perspective of time has cooled me off. It’s still not something I’ll buy right away (or soon for that matter) but interesting all the same.

Share this post with your friends!