Windows Phone 7 Series won’t cut and paste

One would think that after all the flak Apple caught for taking years to add cut and paste support to the iPhone, others wouldn’t make the same mistake. But one should never underestimate Microsoft. Engadget has confirmed that the new Windows Phone 7 Series won’t have cut and paste functionality. Seriously.

We just super-double-ultra-plus-confirmed this with Microsoft — Windows Phone 7 Series will not have copy and paste functionality. There is a data-detection service built into the text-handling API that will recognize phone numbers and addresses, but Microsoft says most users, including Office users, don’t really need clipboard functionality. We… respectfully disagree? Sure, let’s leave it at that.

Ironically, Windows Phone 7’s predecessor, Windows Mobile, has offered clipboard functionality for years. Microsoft apparently didn’t deem the feature important enough to include in its reboot of the cell phone platform.

The decision to exclude a clipboard from Windows Phone 7 is all the more puzzling considering that Palm’s webOS and Google’s Android operating systems both incorporate cut and paste functionality. BlackBerry devices can do cut and paste, too. Microsoft seems content to be pushing the only smartphone OS that can’t. You can read more about what the Windows Phone 7 Series can do here.

• sigher

So now we know apple and MS make weird secret deals, probably through 3rd parties (carriers), interesting but also unpleasant and disturbing.

• Trymor

Not deemed secure enough to be ready for the launch deadline? (fears similar to clipboard buffer stealing in browsers possibly?)

Does anyone know if any present or future changes in HTML 5 could have prompted a feature pull?

Anyway, with my lower functioning fingers, I have trouble with the iPhone’s implementation – I have a hard time seeing around my fingers. Give us an option for ‘popup’ placement (if there isn’t one I missed), or some decent ‘smart placement’ version.

• moog

In other news, IE9 preview is faster than FF 3.7 Alpha in Sunspider JavaScript benchmark

§[< http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20000433-264.html?tag=newsLeadStoriesArea.1<]§

• colinstu

but only gets a 55/100 on acid3.

• Meadows

I don’t browse benchmarks, much like I don’t play Futuremark.

• EndlessWaves

You should, Shattered Horizon is pretty good

• wira020

If they have any brain, they could have left the decision to enable/disable it at the hands of the user… i’m sure some people would still need it… how hard is it to add another setting option?..

baaaaahahahaha

• paulWTAMU

what the hell 🙁 I want cut and paste damnit.

• KamikaseRider

Really?? No copy and paste? What happened to all the talk that the iPhone couldn’t do it?

• Usacomp2k3

I can think of very few situations where this might be remotely useful. I mean, how easy is it to select strings of text with your thumb anyway?

• Meadows

It’s pretty easy in Scrabble.

• Trymor
      • glynor

Your passwords must be easy to crack. 😉

On the iPhone, it is very easy.

• designerfx

so what have companies done that’s completely ass backwards so far, and most recently?

a: you don’t need a keyboard! touch for everything (when the real reason is to make it harder to hack into the console).

b: you don’t need to cut and paste! data detectors for everything (when the real reason is straight up feature removal)

• MadManOriginal

The key here will be adding it the right way. I can certainly see how it’s useful in many situations but if it gets in the way it can be annoying, we even see here in our comments serious posts that are split on copy&paste on the ‘golden UI’ iPhone.

Something that involves more than pure touch interface to activate it, which is how the kludy annoyances come in, seems like the way to go. Maybe use one of the buttons as a context menu popup initiator?

Looks like I’ll be sticking with 6.1 then. Maybe 6.5 if Samsung ever decides to push it out for the Epix. I’ll take functionality over looks and LOLTOUCH any day.

• Arag0n

I’m pretty sure cut and paste will come in short time after release, but I think it’s a must have from start. Without this feature I only see appeal to the OS for XBOX users and Zune users.

• Firestarter

I’m going to chaulk this one up as an epic win for the marketing department. All they have to do now is naming each and every major smartphone function and tell the world that Mobile 7 won’t have it.

• dpaus

Un. Believable.

• jstern

I remember a lot of Apple fanboys commenting that they don’t need cut and paste, that’s it’s overrated, etc. I wonder what they would say about this.

• Sahrin

See reply #3 for your answer.

• jpostel

Exactly. If you only have an iPod Touch, which is essentially used as a network enabled iPod, then you would probably not care. If you have an iPhone that you use as a network enabled iPod + cell phone, then you might not care either.

If you actually use it as a smartphone (email, contacts, web, phone, calendar) then you almost definitely need copy and paste. My most common use is copying addresses from emails or web lookups into new contact entries. I use my Pre for work, and I can’t imagine not having copy and paste.

• MadManOriginal

They only said that until it was available, after all glorious leader Jobs deemed it unimportant until that point, then once it was available the new dogma required that they support it.

• blastdoor

I find copy and paste to be an annoyance on my iPhone. I’ve used it maybe once since they added the feature. Usually it’s just popping up when I don’t want it.

And no, I don’t only use my iPhone for games and media. I use it for contacts, calendar, and e-mail, too. But on a system that small, I’m not doing any serious data entry. It’s really a triage system — check e-mail, maybe send a short reply. I’m not writing pages of text. Anything that requires serious editing is something I’ll do on my computer.

Now the iPad might be a different story. I could see copy/paste being useful there.

Personally I give MS credit for having the nads to stand up to the feature check list police. But I’m sure that they’ll cave within a year. If Apple couldn’t resist the pressure to add copy/paste, I’m sure MS won’t either.

• End User

Annoyance? The user has to press and hold before the copy option appears. If you are in the habit of holding down too long that is your problem, not that of the OS.

Apple’s implementation of cut and paste on the iPhone OS is pretty sweet.

• blastdoor

I was not under the impression that “blame the user” was Apple’s approach to design.

• End User

Who said it was?

• jdaven

Awww, yes the Apple haters are turning this around to make it look like Apple fans were the ones that blew this issue out of proportion. That response was cast in order to combat the gigantic amount of criticism from Apple haters about how stupid Apple was for not having something as simply as cut and paste. Countless threads were created bashing Apple.

The reality is that Apple might not have had the programming down correctly until they released it, or some kind of security flaw or hardware problem who knows. What you should take away from this is to stop bashing IT companies for not releasing a feature in order to stoke your own fanboy bashing.

These kinds of products are hard to make and while criticisms are warranted, getting your hate on doesn’t help a thing. Madmanoriginal’s comment (#12) is an example of this. Saying that fans had to follow Apple mantra because they are religious accolytes is stupid and immature and doesn’t remotely represent the situation. It’s just hate. You guys are becoming broken records at this point.

• MadManOriginal

Comedy isn’t hate, it’s funny! It just happens to hurt when it’s true too 😉

p.s. Apple Tax!

• jstern

Now that I re read what you originally wrote, with more of a joke tone, it was pretty funny.

• MadManOriginal

I guess it wasn’t ‘lol stupid funny’ but the glorious leader phrase was meant to put it in a humorous light. But explaining jokes makes them unfunny 🙁

• jstern

You sound like one of them Apple fanboys.

• glynor

Cut and Paste is awesome on my iPhone and it sucked when we didn’t have it.

They did a VERY good job implementing it though. The best job I can possibly imagine.

• blastdoor

I’m not a fan of copy/paste, but if it must be there, I have no better ideas for implementing it. So I guess I agree with you that it’s the best implementation that I can imagine.

• mcforce0208

FAIL BIG TIME

• DrCR

I’m actually glad they are doing this. Copy and paste has been the tool of pirates for years for stealing text. It needs to go. I’m disappointed the White House hasn’t brought change in this area.

• Xylker

/sarcasmr[< <]r

Thanks, I wasn’t sure if that last post was sarcasm or not.

• DrCR

Yeah. I’m clearly being totally serious. Totally. 😉

• way2strong

/sarcasm

• DrCR

You copy and pasted Xylker’s post? Case in point on the ubiquity of copy and paste piracy.

• Hattig

FAIL.

The iPhone got so much flak until it was added, but now all the other platforms support cut and paste (as well as having data detectors). The main difficulty is achieving a usable UI mechanism on a touch device for selecting text. For example the iPhone has its little zoom area so you can fine-tune the cursor position.

But it’s 2010 (probably 2011 by the time WinMo7 devices hit the market in quantity), the market has moved on, and won’t desire a 2008 level smartphone OS, albeit one with a different UI design.

• zgirl

Correction: EPIC FAIL!

I use cut and paste all the damn time and I know all the iphone users around here cheer when Apple finally added it.

• Farting Bob

If its true, thats so stupid of them. Its in the old version, how hard is it to program in copy and paste, cause no-one seems to want to do it.

• sweatshopking

who cares? cutting and pasteing (?) is the most annoying *feature* on the iphone. My ipod touch bugs the hell out of me with that stupid thing. I DONT WANT CUT AND PASTE. I MAY BUY ONE OF THESE BASTARDS CAUSE I FRIGGIN LOVE THE ZUNE HD INTERFACE.

• Jigar