Intel RAID driver adds pass-through TRIM support

In our latest system guide, we pointed out that folks who opted to run dual Intel X25-M solid-state drives in RAID mode wouldn’t be able to enjoy TRIM capabilities, potentially impacting used-state performance. Some sources now say the latest Intel RAID software update lifts that limitation, but it ain’t so.

Here’s what Intel told us before the update hit the web last Friday:

The latest: Intel® RST 9.6 will be released this week which includes TRIM support for SSDs. It will support TRIM with SSDs in an AHCI configuration, or with the RAID controller enabled and the SSD is used as a pass through device. An example of this use case is for users that want to use the SSD as a boot drive but still be able to RAID multiple HDDs together to allow for large protect data storage – a great use for the home theater PC. TRIM support for SSDs in a RAID configuration is under investigation and is not included in Intel® RST 9.6.

Translation: if your Intel storage controller is set to RAID mode, you’ll now be able to benefit from your solid-state drive’s TRIM functionality when running it alongside a RAID array comprised of mechanical drives. TRIM isn’t supported for SSDs participating in a RAID array, however. Intel may add that feature in the future, but it hasn’t committed to doing so.

Of course, running multiple SSDs in RAID mode might not appeal to the majority of users to begin with—if only because SSDs still tend to cost upward of $2 per gigabyte. Besides, capacities and pricing tend to increase in a fairly linear fashion. Instead of blowing almost $300 on, say, a pair of 64GB Kingston SSDNow V drives, one could as well opt for the 128GB model for $279.

• LoneWolf15

When did Intel switch from “Matrix Storage Manager” to “Rapid Storage Technology”? I don’t remember any big announcements.

I don’t have an SSD, but I just upgraded from MSM to RST, and it seems like my 3 x 500GB RAID5 (ICH10R) is a little faster under Win7 x64, but it could be just me.

• Ryu Connor

A couple items of notes for those who may be deploying these.

This is the next iteration of the Matrix Storage Drivers and replace the final build under that name (8.9.0.1023). Reaching these through Intel’s website is convoluted. You must select Desktop Boards > A Chipset Series > An Intel Motherboard.

For example:

Desktop Boards > Intel 5 Series Chipset Boards > Intel Desktop Board DX58SO

They have not /yet/ spread to other sections of the download center.

An Intel developer in their infinite wisdom decided that the old command line switches of the installer needed to be arbitrarily changed.

For example one could install the old Matrix package as drivers only with the switch -nogui . That switch has been replaced with -noirstgui. Noirstgui is insufficient to install drivers only.

An application will still be installed. One needs to use -noicc -noirstgui -noservice -notray. The package then installs drivers only and an uninstall option.

• rUmX

OK so wait, this has got me confused. I’m got a OCZ Vertex as my boot drive, and I also got 5X WD Green 1.5TB drives in Raid-5. All this on a X58.

Does this mean TRIM isn’t working on my setup? BTW I’m using Intel RST v9.5.7.1002.

• darksynth

So does the SSD run with TRIM support if your using the windows driver but its configured as raid in the bios? I am running an SSD as my C: a stripe array for apps and a mirrored array for backup’s… does that mean my ssd isnt using trim until i install this driver? I was under the impression it supported TRIM in this config with the windows driver?

• MadManOriginal

No, yes, no.

As other posts have said with the new drivers a stand-alone non-RAIDed SSD on a controller configured as ‘RAID’ in BIOS can take TRIM commands from the OS. Previously this was not the case. It’s not completely clear from your post whether you have the SSD striped with another SSD or as a standalone drive. If it’s striped with another SSD then TRIM will still not be available.

• barich

There is no “Windows driver” for the controller when it’s in RAID mode. It’s an Intel driver that’s included with the OS, and like any Intel driver older than the one in this announcement it doesn’t support TRIM.

AHCI mode does have a a generic “Windows driver” that works on any AHCI controller and supports TRIM.

• shank15217

The way RAID works, you could never add TRIM support to a RAID device unless the controller itself supported trim on it’s devices. What Intel did was merely configure the raid driver to support SSDs and present them to the OS without virtualizing the device so TRIM support in the OS could do it’s thing.

• sleeprae

The title had me going for a second, too. For the record, my two Intel G2’s in R0 on an ICH9R score 7.9 in the W7 Disk Assessment.

• Vaughn

Ok so I installed the drivers on my Single SSD setup. Trim seems to be functioning and my AS SSD scores actually went up…. So far so good.

• sweatshopking

how does this help my 8 gb hard drive?

• ColdMist

Are there some regular Matrix storage drivers that support TRIM yet, for a single drive? I’ve got an X25 as my boot drive, but the default MS drivers don’t support hot-plug for eSATA drives.

I haven’t seen any new Matrix/storage drivers for win7 yet that keep TRIM. Either you get Intel’s driver with no TRIM, or the default MS driver without hot-swap.

• Sahrin

What’s the over under for ‘time between release and first bricked SSD’ caused by this driver?

Five hours?

• yuhong

This is not a firmware update!

• sotti

seriously, the title of the article sucks.

• zagortenay

Misleading headline. This is not good!

• CasbahBoy

It seems misleading, but the article title is actually quite true. It adds TRIM support for SSDs not participating in a RAID array. The shortest way I think it is possible for me to say that is “Intel RAID driver gains TRIM pass-through support.”

Maybe “Intel RAID driver gains TRIM support for stand-alone SSDs” or something, but I think my first (Cyril’s) choice is a very tiny bit more clear.

• oldDummy

Maybe:

Intel enables non-raid trim in mixed systems with new driver.

hmm…kinda lame.

• UberGerbil

“TRIM Support in Intel RAID Drivers: Not What You Think”

• CasbahBoy

Ding ding ding! This one sounds fine.

I still think people would have complained because they can’t see the alternate future in which we currently exist!

• oldDummy

my twin Intel 80G G1’s in raid0 won’t benefit anyway and I’m still getting 5.9 rating with MS performance index.

Apps are responsive so I don’t know how that rating works.

• KarateBob

Won’t SSD’s with automatic garbage collection still do their thing in RAID?

• 5150

• UberGerbil

Yes, but that’s not the same thing as TRIM. As an SSD gets close to being full, TRIM becomes increasingly valuable as the garbage collection becomes increasingly inefficient with less free space to work with And given how small a lot of SSDs are, many are going to spend much of their lives very close to full.

• etymxris

Anyone know about the state of trim support in linux, especially with regards to software raid?

• stdRaichu

Last I read it’s in the kernel but not available by default… perhaps it’s on in 2.6.33.

Software RAID uses the same driver as a regular disc, so as soon as TRIM is working it should work in softraid.

• AlvinTheNerd

You have to be using kernel 2.6.32 AND ext4 to get TRIM support with the Intel, Samsung, or Indilinx controllers. The other controllers will be coming along with the 33 or 34 release.

Now wether or not your distro has it enabled, idk. I roll my own kernels and have it working.

• eternalmatt

Sounds like Intel is half way there

• ScythedBlade

Edit: You guys made me excited from the title … =.=

• clhensle

It still does not do trim if the SSD itself is part of the raid, but its nice to know that maybe a driver update in the future will fix this.