Over 300,000 iPads sold on launch day

Steve Jobs has gotten his accountants to run the numbers, and apparently, in spite of all the skepticism surrounding it, the iPad had a pretty decent first day of sales. Apple announced this morning that it sold more than 300,000 of the slate devices last Saturday alone.

Now, not all of those 300,000 were folks lined up at Apple Stores. Apple says the figure also includes “deliveries of pre-ordered iPads to customers, deliveries to channel partners and sales at Apple Retail Stores.” Still, those are sales for only a single day in the United States only. For reference, Apple sold 1.12 million iPhones during that device’s first full quarter of sales in 2007.

Just like the original iPhone, the iPad starts at $499, and Apple offers a $599 version with more storage capacity. (The iPad launch lineup includes a third model priced at $699, though.)

Apple’s revenue from the new iPad users didn’t stem from the device alone. The Mac maker also says iPad users “downloaded over one million apps from Apple’s App Store and over 250,000 ebooks from its iBookstore during the first day.” To be fair, though, the iBookstore includes a massive collection of free titles, so not all of those downloads were purchases.

• swaaye

I have not seen one in person yet. Waiting patiently…… Do I need to go to Starbucks or a book store w/ cafe (or some such)?

• NeXus 6

Apple peddling more ooh ahh junk:

*[<13 glaring iPad shortcomings< ]* §[<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36179255/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/<]§

• Jigar

Hello Demani, looks like people have already started realizing about their mistake.

§[< http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/18370/1/<]§ LOL.

• WillBach

My fiancée’s impression of the iPad went from “but it doesn’t *[http://mekentosj.com/papers/ipad/<]§ I personally don't see a lot of utility in the iPad except for browsing the web from the couch, which I shouldn't do until I land a full-time job. That said, I can understand why so many people do.

• blastdoor

Oh haters… you’re so much fun. I just wish I could see your heads exploding in person instead of seeing the splatter that hits the webbernet forums.

I got my iPad yesterday. If you spend any time with this thing in your hands and can’t at least understand why some people might really like it, then you are an emotionally crippled robot. Multitouch on a larger screen really is very cool. Using this versus using a mouse/keyboard interface is like driving a car with your hands on the wheel versus driving it using a mouse/keyboard, at least in terms of how it feels (I realize that you actually have more refined control with the mouse and keyboard, but multitouch makes you feel more engaged with the device).

The device does have some downsides — hold this in your hand in one position for two hours and you’ll start to think you’ve got arthritis (1.5 pounds is light for carrying around, it gets heavy in the hand after prolonged exposure). That kind of sucks, but on the other hand, it is a device that I actually want to hold in my hand for two hours. Personally, I can’t use Pages/Numbers/Keynote because they don’t offer sufficient computability with MS Office. MS says they have no plans for Office on the iPad right now, but I bet they get around to it — if they don’t, they’re opening up an opportunity for somebody else. This device is definitely capable of being used for light Office-style work.

But overall, it’s a great product. It’s really the combination of interface, form factor, and app store. Talk tech specs all day, but there’s no other device that gets that combination as good as this one.

• Jigar

I can feel for you my friend, I have seen my friends reacting in same fasion, when they bought Apple iphone (Not the 3G) anticipating god like reception, but disappointed when they realized that poor thing didn’t even support data transfer through bluetooth. Anyway carry on with that LCD in your hand, living with the fact that netbook owners still have faster & better hardware.

• blastdoor

Thanks so much for your sympathy. I’ll try to muddle through.

• Jigar

Yeah, like you got a choice left 😛

§[< http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/18353/1/<]§

• blastdoor

Man, I’m confused. One minute you’re saying I’m your friend and you feel all this sympathy for me, but now this last message doesn’t feel so friendly. I’m beginning to think you were never really my friend at all…

• Jigar

Sarcasm meter off lately ? 😀

• blastdoor

Oh wow… I’ve been totally misled! Here I thought Jigar was just a nice guy who was genuinely concerned about other people making bad computing decisions. But it turns out he’s just a petty troll. Bummer.

• Jigar

I was just kidding with you mate, nothing personal. 🙂

• End User

l[

• Code:[M]ayhem

So how’s surfing the ‘Net with that incredible pile of crap browser called Safari working out for you?

• blastdoor

Splatter, splatter, splatter.

• End User

You mean the web browser that got the WebKit (all hail KHTML) ball rolling? It’s just fine. Thanks for asking.

• Voldenuit

My $0.02. The iPad is a medium for people to consume content on. And to monetize said consumption. Want to watch a show on hulu? Pay up. Want a GPS app? Pay up (well, once the 3G version launches anyway).

Which is perfectly fine on its own. What I don’t like is that it is a very poor tool for *creating* with. If only Apple had added stylus support, this would be a very different product. It would have become a tool with much more potential than the glorified idiot box which the current iPad is.

If Apple had aimed higher, we could have Star Trek like pads today. Instead, they intentionally aimed low, because they know where the money is. Good for them, but I won’t be buying one anytime soon. Personally, I’m hoping MS’ Courier lives up to the hype, but I’m not holding my breath.

• Rakhmaninov3

Big iPhone that isn’t a phone.

• BoBzeBuilder

#100. This is halfparta.

• outcast

*[http://www.techspot.com/article/267-tablets-of-2010/< ]§ *[http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/193471/hp_promises_everything_the_ipad_isnt_with_slate.html<]§ best to wait for price war...

• indeego

The one problem HP has is they have absolutely horrible software on x86g{<.<}g

• Decelerate

Tell me about it,I want to murder whoever programmed their printer drivers.

• Decelerate

I’m not sure what people see in the HP slate. How much space will be left on a Win7 powered 32Gig device? I’d also be surprised if the combo battery life/weight will beat the iPads’. Also, can the atom bring the same “snappyness”?

That being said the notion ink adam may be a nasty contender if it delivers, especially on the battery life. I’m more confident in the Tegra2 than the atom. However I’m dissapointed by the device failing to reach 720p standard.

• Skrying

Price war? What in Apple’s history with the iPod and iPhone makes you think we’ll see a price war? In much of the iPod’s lifetime it was an inferior product yet Apple did not budge on price.

The HP Slate on the other hand appears to be the inferior product in many of the most important areas. Windows 7 is not a tablet OS. Great on my desktop, great on my laptop but not on a pure touch input device. Then we have the issue of Atom. It uses more power than the chip inside the iPad and it isn’t exactly snappy in Windows 7. So we have less battery life with perceived worse performance? Not good. Then what about an app market? Yes, there are millions upon millions of Windows programs but you can count the number of those designed for a touch interface on your fingers and toes.

A competitor needs a real mobile OS designed for a touch interface that runs on a real mobile processor. Android? Maybe but I don’t think even more fragmentation makes it tempting but to geeks. ChromeOS? Potentially but how quick can we expect that? Custom Linux? Those always suck. Windows Phone 7? Strongly doubt Microsoft wants this on a tablet, at least for quite a while.

• wira020

Once the hype goes down a bit, we’ll see the real capability and use of the device… right now everyone who bought it is just happy with their new shiny toy…

• outcast

does anyone know what the battery life is like for the iPad?

• henfactor

About 10 hours of decent work time according to Engaget

• indeego

And a “month” of standby. However, after 6 months of use I bet that drops down significantlyg{<.<}g

• Skrying

A month? Did your laptops battery drop significantly after a month? Your phones? What in the world makes the iPad’s battery so unique as to cause this behavior?

• willyolio

reading comprehension FTW.

• Skrying

My mistake, I can see where I did have a reading failure there.

• Sunburn74

300,000 fools and their money were soon parted.

The bloody device doesn’t DO anything! How can you not see that?

• demani

What doesn’t it do? Is it a rock?
      It doesn’t watch movies and videos?
      It doesn’t provide a reasonable interface for reading literature?
      It doesn’t browse the web?
      It doesn’t run specialized or purpose driven applications?

It does the same tasks any Windows or Android tablet does. It just goes about doing them in a different fashion. You don’t like it that’s fine, but calling everyone who does a moron only shines the light quite brightly on your own ignorance.

Seriously- you come across as a real fool when you make such broad comments.

• Sunburn74

Look the criticisms of the ipad have been very well elaborated by many and I’m not going to go into them. I could write paragraphs ripping apple for why they think people will be filling excel charts or typing documents entirely from memory with their solution to the netbook.

I will say however, that pre-ordering such a product blindly before any reviews, before any in vivo testing, based solely on what the guy who wants to make money off you chooses to say and chooses to show is the act of a fool. I don’t care if the product is magical or one of a kind, or even the past success record of the guy. There is an inherent conflict of interest there which is obvious to any rational person. Brand loyalty is one thing; this is fanaticism because people are actually letting go of the logical, reasonable steps they make in deciding a good purchase from a bad one.

I mean heck even when someone released a freaking cure to cervical cancer, something that obviously will take your daughters chance of getting and dying from the 2nd most common OBGyn cancer and 3rd leading OBGyn cancer killer in women to near zero, there were not 300,000 sold on the first day. I mean even something that has obvious use, people still need to take time to adopt and come to understand rationally what the product means to them and how it’ll affect their lives, but apple releases a tablet that has no obvious use and is purely a toy and they have 300,000 sold even before finalizing the product? Come on man, thats fanaticism within the apple fanbase. You can’t honestly tell me those 300,000 sat down and made a rational decision concerning their purchase. No, they are fools who rushed in blindly.

• Skrying

You completely ignored that your previous comment couldn’t have been more wrong. There is a near limitless amount of functionality in this device. Just like in Android phone or tablet.

Your point is valid in regard to people lining up but then again I’d say much of the qualities of the iPad are already known. We knew it ran the iPhone OS, we knew about the hardware limitations, we knew the screen size, the connectivity options. Really what we don’t know is rather small and tied with some functionality to be exposed in iPhone OS 4.0.

Even further this notion of people lining up and buying a product before reviews is not new at all and certainly not limited to Apple products. People constantly pre-order movies, games and other electronic devices. Every new console release we’re treated to news reports about people lining up for those. Every new graphics card release people are trying to pre-order before any benchmaking.

That’s a flaw in human nature. Not some evil power Apple has over civilization. I’d say you need to step back and reexamine why you hate their products so much. Your hate has basically made you as irrational as the people you hate.

• lilbuddhaman

its far too large and expensive NOT to have some multitasking functions… even if it were some hacked up iphone os, there is no excuse.

• MadManOriginal

I like how you go through your whole post with a ‘this is all ok’ defense of Apple but then at the end call the preorders and 0 day buyers irrational too 😉

• Skrying

Defense of Apple? I said it has the same functionality as any other tablet out there. That’s a simple statement of fact. I don’t see anywhere else I “defended” Apple.

My second paragraph even started with him having a valid point in regard the pre-order. However I pointed out that this isn’t unique behavior to an Apple product. That’s not a defense, that’s fact.

• MadManOriginal

Defense, justification, ‘other people jump off a bridge’ reasoning…whatever. Point is that you seem to argue on behalf of this preorder frenzy but then say it’s irrational.

• Skrying

How does pointing out someones ridiculous statement equate to arguing on the behalf of people who pre-order? Because I don’t mindlessly bash a product and rather look at it from a reasoned position makes me a supporter of pre-ordering? There’s zero logic in that.

• MadManOriginal

Reread your first two paragraphsin post #90. It is clear you are ok’ing, one might say rationalizing, day 0 buyers because in essence ‘(nearly) everything is known.’ And yet at the end you call them irrational too in an attempt to tie them in with and put down Sunburn74.

Don’t be mad that I saw the chuckle-worthy flaw in your swing from rationalizing to irrational. In fact at first I did just think it was funny in a smirk-inducing kind of way, now I just think it was sloppy because your usual prickly defensiveness and attempt at squirming out of it have surfaced.

• Skrying

l[

• jdaven

Criticisms of a device doesn’t make people fools for buying it. If that were the case, then we are all fools since no device is not without its weaknesses.

Peddle your hatred of a commercial product in another part of the internet ether that might just give a damn.

• Sunburn74

Read my words: I personally am skeptical about the product but thats not my point. My point is I feel its irrational to buy something based solely on the hearsay and directed slides of the guy who’s trying to make a profit from you. If it were any other seller, most people would recognize the inherent conflict of interest. If its apple though, all logic goes out the window and conflict of interest be damned.

Even if the ipod cost 75% of its current price, I still could not rationally pre-order it until I’ve seen what it can do for me. Why would I trust Steve Job’s? He is very fallible (ie Apple TV for starters) and has only one interest in mind (his own). I’m not saying Apple’s out to screw me out of my money, but there is certainly a RESPECTABLE chance that there are aspects of the product being sold that may turn me off it entirely (ie finding it can only be charged with a propietary cable and not via USB ports on powered devices like you assumed). I’d at least take time to assess how what Apple is selling fits in my life and my needs and how the bloody thing actually works rather than pre-ordering based purely on what I’m told (again not by an impartial third party but by APPLE THEMSELVES).

There is a classic phrase in the english language that goes: “only fools rush in”. I didn’t make the phrase up. If you don’t think the 300,000 pre-orders are rushing, thats fine. I certainly think they are.

• SNM

You know, maybe some people have rationally decided that a giant iPhone with a nice ereader app is exactly what they need. It’s not like it’s hard to predict what it would be like even without the hours of demonstration videos available.

• MadManOriginal

Yeah, they decided they needed it (after His Holiness the Jobs told them they did.)

Also a lot of what I see going on is a bunch of insecure people looking for ego strokes because their lack of self-esteem and self-worth requires their fragile ego to get validation and attention from other people, for the ‘accomplishment’ of buying a CE device. Holding up a mass produced consumer item you purchased same as anyone else could above your head with a fist-pump? Uhh…ok. Get some perspective people. This kind of behavior both makes me laugh and makes me sad.

• demani

Except that they aren’t going in blindly. There is an awful lot of prior history with the iPhone interface. People understand the concept, and they understand the functionality. How it may get used is clearly not set in stone.

Windows tablets have been around for a quite a few years. They had a history that allowed people to make use of them immediately. But they didn’t take off because of the failures to address the market needs. The fact is MOST people don’t need about half of what is in their computer these days. This seems to represent a definite statement by the market that simplicity may be the killer app of the next generation of computing. Everyone bags on every application and OS release that touts “hundreds more features!”, when we finally get them and see that some of them are of quite questionable utility, and often undermine the usability of the product. Net books have taken off precisely because they offer “just enough”. Asus has been banking on that. Its a viable alternative. But a lot of people don’t want to run Windows 7 or XP on a tiny screen.

I’d love to see what HP is coming out with. They sem to be the only other company with the R&D to make something that might actually be useful. But they have to count on the application developers to continue with the paradigm they are setting up. Microsoft has rewritten things for their phone, and it likely will get translated into a larger device.

Do I think people who camped out are foolish? Sure. When the Xbox 360, or the Wii was released it was the same thing. Its foolish.

The difference with the cancer vaccine was that you needed to A) find a provider, B) schedule an appointment, C) be able to take it (not everyone is able to). Plus the side effects could be far worse than “well it doesn’t play Flash like I thought it would”. It is a big difference.

• PerfectCr

It’s not just TR, but there sure a lot of insecure geeks out there. Don’t like the iPad, fine don’t buy one. But the sheer amount of hate and vitriol over a product from Apple is amazing!

• blitzy

A friend of mine said to me

Her “Have you seen those new iPads?”
    Me “Yep”
    Her “They’re very flash aren’t they, I want to get one!”
    Me “Uhhhhhh..”
    Her “But what can you use them for?”

And that about sums up the RDF really, people buying things they didn’t even know they wanted.

True story, although I doubt I got her exact words but it was to the same effect. Aren’t they cool, but what can I do with it?

• End User

The iPad outsold the original iPhone on day one. An amazing feat considering that the 3G models are not included in the sales numbers.

• Peldor

I’m not really impressed by this outselling iPhone on day 1. The iPhone was mostly a blind step for the consumer. The iPhone had proved nothing, the App Store was nowhere, Apple had never made a phone before, it was locked to one carrier (limiting the customer base). The iPad comes in riding the hugely successful coattails of the iPhone, the App Store is massive, there’s no contract or carrier to worry about.

It would be more surprising if Apple hadn’t surpassed the original iPhone launch sales.

• End User

As an in between device the iPad has a steeper hill to climb IMO.

• Mr Bill

LOL…”For he today that sheds his cash with me shall be my brother, and gentle geek asleep now-a-bed shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speak that stood with us upon Saint iPad’s day!”
    §[< http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/1374.html<]§ As usual Nitrozac and Snaggy are on funny and on target.

• sschaem

I read over the weekend that 700,000 units where said to have been pre-sold.
    so does that bring the count of iPad user to 1 million already ?
    or its 400,000 presold + 300,000 sold on saturday after the launch ??

Anyways, I will offer this word of advice:

If you dont like the iPad, make yourself heard tell your friend and familly.. because if you dont you might get one anyways for your birthday! 🙂

• sweatshopking

people must love you more than they love me. nobody buys me 500$ presents. maybe 50-75 combined. who is your daddy to buy you such expensive things?

• khands

Scrooge McDuck.

• jdaven

iPhone OS 4.0 sneak preview invites have just been released by Apple. They are on a role.

§[< http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/05/apple-holding-iphone-os-4-event-april-8th/<]§ Here comes multitasking!!!

• PenGun

They are on a role.

Precisely.

• MadManOriginal

Wait, there’s going to be an Apple role playing game? Is the final boss Steve Ballmer?

• MadManOriginal

Hey, I think you’re using Apple -[

• danny e.

Apple knows marketing.
    .. I mean how many other gadgets launch with mainstream news stories?

• Arag0n

Windows Phone 7 may get this hipe in the release… maybe… They had so many free press on presentation.

• MadManOriginal

As silly as I think the iHype is those meatheads are even more foolish than people who buy in to the hype.

• Skrying

Chances are they’ll make more than enough money from the page views to cover the cost of an iPad.

• MadManOriginal

People get paid for page hits on Youtube?

But regardless of whether they cover the costs they’re still stupid meatheads. I liked smashing stuff too…when I was like 11 years old. Of course I didn’t smash brand new perfectly working $500 things.

• Skrying

You can enable Google AdSense on your YouTube account. Then there are various advertising options from there. I know for certain that you get paid for the in video advertising, I would guess that extends at least in part to page views as well. There are many people who are making a lot of money from their YouTube videos.

I don’t think this is about getting off on smashing an iPad. I think it’s simply a pay day for these people.

• MadManOriginal

q[

• Jigar

I feel sad for those who have bought this just because it’s an Apple product.

• jdaven

So you felt sad for no one? Interesting.

• indeego

I’m pretty certain if ASUS came out with this device and had the exact same marketing, you wouldn’t see 1/10 the sales over a weekendg{<.<}g

• xtalentx

If you don’t believe 99% of the people who bought this did so because of the Apple logo on it – you are delusional. This is the biggest sheep product to date.

• NeXus 6

Yep, considering the sales numbers.

• Jigar

Oh crap, one more ipad owner.

• jdaven

Wow, your hate puts your name in perspective. You might what to change that.

• Jigar

Oh crap i am surrounded by ipad owners…

Anyway, Joke apart. Any geek and i mean any knowledgeable geek knows what ipad is all about, iphone is still bare-able considering it still has usability of calling people, but as i told you guys before, i just feel sad for those rich suckers, who are keeping apple alive. Oh btw, if you want to look different, doing something stupid does make you stand out of the crowd, so i can understand why you are so mad.

• demani

Ok- nobody (really, NOBODY) has said the target audience for this is the Geek. Seriously- its meant for the average layperson. Thinking its meant for you, when you claim to be a serious geek, says you don’t understand the market it is aimed at AT ALL.

Does the Gemini have potential? Sure- a ton. But until it’s a shipping product you can’t say it’s superior in every way since there appears to be no real-world info on it (like weight, or battery life, or cost, or screen quality). It does have a nice feature set- excellent expandability. But its targeting a much Geekier crowd. Most people don’ care if it has a stylus. What bookstore (I assume the Kindle app is coming, but I can’t find it yet)? And what is the point of 1080P playback? The storage is so small that you will need to keep extra memory cards to watch full length movies anyway (not to mention a 32 GB card costs an additional $80). You will still need to get special cables (since microUSB isn’t common yet, and you will need at least two different ones). Its a good start, and I’d love to see it. But it has it’s flaws too.

• Jigar

l[http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/18353/1/<]§

• demani

I already read that article- and there are some valid points and some ridiculous ones. The biggest issue is that it gets compared to a number of devices and its shortcomings in relation to each. The inverse argument is just as valid (its a better media player than a Kindle, a better eBook reader than a Netbook, better GPS than a netbook, better browser than a Nook/Kindle, you get my drift). Your Gemini is going to be bigger and bulkier. The applications look as good as they can given they aren’t rewritten yet, but that will change for those where it matters. But by comparing it to everything else the article doesn’t come to the conclusion that “Hey, it can do a serviceable, even good job with all of these tasks.”

My Honda Civic isn’t as good at off-roading as a Jeep, isn’t as fast as a BMW, or as cheap as an Elantra. But it is a smoother ride than the Jeep, more fuel efficient than the BMW, and more reliable than the Elantra [it is not a recent brake-recall model]). Just by changing what it is compared to and what metric is used I can make the Civic the best car of the group.

So what existing, shipping product can I go out and purchase right now that will be the similar swiss-army knife tool, and will be better than the iPad at this very moment? Everything has its weaknesses. But by calling it the iCrap you really show that it isn’t the device you are railing against, but the very notion it exists and doesn’t do what you want.

Yes, Tech Report is definitely a a techie site, but when they review onboard video chipsets, or low end CPUs, or netbooks, they aren’t saying “Hey, we only are interested in the geekiest crowd.”. Catch my drift?

Or maybe you are just the smartest person in the world, and nobody can fool you into anything. Only the ignorant would ever buy something that does what they want it to do. That must be it- I give in, you win.

• Jigar

l[

• demani

r[<#138, I already read that article- and there are some valid points and some ridiculous ones. The biggest issue is that it gets compared to a number of devices and its shortcomings in relation to each. The inverse argument is just as valid (its a better media player than a Kindle, a better eBook reader than a Netbook, better GPS than a netbook, better browser than a Nook/Kindle, you get my drift)."<]r l[

• MadManOriginal

III’m dreaming of a poooost thatlookslike Christmaaaass..

• demani

Is there a twinkle tag I could apply?

• jdaven

I think you are confusing the iPad with Tickle-me-elmo or maybe it was the Segway, oh no wait I know, it was beanie-babies. No, well I’m sure its not the biggest. No wait, I know its not the biggest sheep product.

It’s just a device made by Apple so it’s Tech and since this is a tech site, then everyone here thinks the universe revolves around their likes and dislikes. And since its Apple, there is an extra level of hatred here.

Oh wait, the biggest sheep product…Microsoft Windows. That’s it. Lol!

—comment written on a Windows Vista Ultimate PC. I’m such a sheep! Lol!

• willyolio

it IS a segway. they claimed it was magical and revolutionary, and it revolutionized nothing. it did the same thing skateboards and bicycles have been doing for decades.

the ipad is a fat ipod touch. it is marketed as magical and revolutionary… but it’s just a fat ipod touch.

this isn’t people ganging up on apple. it’s people ganging up on shitty products. everyone hated on the Killer NIC, too. the only difference is that the Killer NIC didn’t have an apple logo.

• Jigar

Again, want to step out of the crowd ? LOL… Go ahead, i feel your pain. 😀

• designerfx

he was specifying 300 thousand people. he was quite specific.

• End User

The only negative is that it won’t be available for purchase here in Canada until the end of the month. 🙁

• dpaus

Thank God for that – I can still go for my morning coffee for a few weeks without having to push my way through crowds of too-cool-for-you hipsters doing passive-aggressive web surfing on their favourite so-cool-no-one-else-has-ever-heard-of-them indie band’s site.

• End User

I never would have guessed that Abraham J. Simpson reads TR.

• flip-mode

If it makes a better e-book reader than the Kindle, and also surfs the web, and also plays some simple games, and also can handle some office apps, and also can do email, and calendaring, and all kinds of other things, and the form fact is better than a netbook, I don’t see what there is to complain about.

Dunno, just asking.

• BoBzeBuilder

You pretty much described an iPod. It can do books, and also fits in your pocket. Where’s the extra $300 going again? Ah yes, bigger screen.

• Decelerate

I don’t see what’s wrong with a bigger screen.

Do you nag everyone buying 27″, 30″ monitors for their desktops at 2, 2.5 times the price of those who got 20, 24″ screens?

Do you complain to people like me that decided to pay more for an IPS panel instead of settling for the cheap old TN one?

If everyone thought as a geek, the Model-T 2010 would be selling like hotcakes.

• BoBzeBuilder

You didn’t get my point. What I said was the iPad brings nothing new to the table other than a bigger screen. There’s nothing wrong with bigger screens, it’s a good thing actually. But it’s missing so much else, it’s not even funny.

• Corrado

What is it missing that you’d like? A camera? And…. what else?

• BoBzeBuilder

I’ve had this debate 10 times already. It does what the iPod does, nothing more.

See here: §[< http://www.showbizgossips.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Apple-iPad-Jokes-Watermelon.jpg<]§

• Corrado

So your complaint is that its missing features, but you can’t tell me what features its missing that you’d want? Seems like a weak argument and that you’re hating just to hate.

Except that it does do more. And that’s the kicker:
            – Import photos from media for organization? iPad yes, iPod no
            – Run a decent text editor? iPad yes, iPod no
            – Work with an external keyboard? iPad yes, iPod no
            – Provide a higher resolution for more detailed images, or for more workspace? iPad yes, iPod no
            – Do it all with faster hardware? iPad yes, iPod no

Does it have a few shortcomings in this iteration? Sure- the camera is definite must have item, and I’d love to have a built-in SD card slot. Bluetooth is as good as USB for this kind of device for basic input devices, so USB doesn’t seem like a big deal.

The web browser beats the pants off a Kindle (and I love my Kindle).
            Its better for other functions (typing on the kindle is worse than the iPad)- the Kindle does one thing really well, but sucks at all others.

And were Asus to release such a product, it wouldn’t have the existing application support (you know, when a big Windows selling point was “It has way more software than Mac”, it’s funny how nobody ever brings up the iPad’s software library as a selling point). Asus also has not shown that they can make anything other than basic computers- they don’t do anything that is top of the field ID wise (and there are plenty of design flaws by Apple, but they are generally outweighed by the wins). But part of it is that Asus isn’t a household name brand.

What if Sony (a brand with a built-in reputation, known by consumers around the world) were to release something like this? They certainly could have (and pulled from the Sony Ericsson partnership for the needed portable device expertise), with the same advertising and the same launch library, it would likely be very successful (though, knowing Sony they would charge even more and make some really boneheaded compatibility decision). But hey- that’s the market that Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony all play to with their game consoles. Apple is really looking to make it into that kind of product level- its trying to make it be the default choice in that market space, much like the DS is practically the default choice in its market segment.

The other problem that other vendors have is that they all put out different versions: an application may work fine on some but not others (like PC gaming). Having some consistancy to the userbase is pretty important- why buy a device that has a lot of power, but doesn’t take advantage of it, or buy something slow that some applications will overpower. By sticking with that basic target, the application developers know what they are targeting, and for small apps that makes a lot of sense. No need to profile different hardware types- just run it on one single machine and know that it will be fine on everything afterwards.

• w00tstock

Except that it does do more. And that’s the kicker:
            – Import photos from media for organization? iPad yes, iPod no
            – Run a decent text editor? iPad yes, iPod no
            – Work with an external keyboard? iPad yes, iPod no
            – Do it all with faster hardware? iPad yes, iPod no

so 300$ for new software and screen…
            Sure it has a faster chip but that is expected in a newer device and i expect apple with integrate the new chip into the older devices. Also just because apple CHOSE to limit the software on iphone/ipod isnt significant reason to cost more.

So yeah, you are paying 300$ for a screen.

• Decelerate

… and battery

• Corrado

You’re also paying more for the functionality of being able to properly web browse and do actual work on the iPad if you choose to. Are there word processing apps for the iPod/iPhone? Absolutely. Do I want to actually type anything of substance out and use WYSIWYG functions? Hell no. Not on a screen that size and that resolution.

• BoBzeBuilder

l[

• demani

Wow- now thats a comment that adds absolutely nothing.
            Clearly you have overpowered me with your logic and genius.

Or you simply ran out of words…

• BoBzeBuilder

Hmm.. not really, basically Corrado confirmed what I was saying all along. He’s saying that bigger screen allows for better text editing, web surfing, and he’s right.
            You pay $300 for a bigger screen. Maybe it’s worth it for some. I know I’d buy one if it had camera, multitasking, usb ports, and a half decent OS.

• demani

Wow. So the capability provided by new hardware doesn’t actually count in the value proposition? if it did only the same thing as the ipod, then it would be a bigger ipod. But if it does /[

• BoBzeBuilder

l[

• Skrying

What makes the iPhone OS simple or limited? I’ve yet to see a task that can’t be created on the iPhone OS. Even applications that make no sense due to hardware limitations are available. Do you mean the fact that it is locked down? But that’s not the same as being simple.

• BoBzeBuilder

Yes I guess locked down is the better word for it. Very limited customization, access to settings, etc… compared to OSX.
            + Plus access to applications that aren’t dumbed down for the iPad. I’m sure you used a Mac before.

• demani

So- today’s computers are just faster, bigger versions of last years. By your logic, anyone who buys a new computer is spending money on something that already exists. Do you upgrade your computers? Even just components? Why?

I already described a few things that are an improvement on the iPod- better hardware begets more software (kind of like how 3D cards allowed 3D games to hit the market).

So you don’t have anything to use USB for? What peripherals would you be directly connecting to it? C’mon- ubiquity doesn’t mean necessary. Hell- part of the reason USB took off was because Apple made a market for USB devices by ditching other ports. I’m not saying that Bluetooth will suddenly take off. But please, enlighten me as to what you feel is so necessary on a portable, lightweight machine that you decide it is a complete product kill?

And no- of course the firmware isn’t going to fix everything (like the camera or an SD slot), but then Windows didn’t add those things in new versions either- you had to upgrade your hardware to get those. So that’s another non-argument. Every computer update offers a bit more than the last. Clearly the camera is coming. I’m not holding my breath, but hopefully SD is coming as well.

You are so caught up in your anti-Apple zealotry that you don’t leave room for any other viewpoint than your own.

• BoBzeBuilder

l[

l[

• demani

So wait- what are you saying here? That it does many things, does it in a small package, and has already sold more units than most tablets released already (clearly they didn’t hit the market’s sweet spot-otherwise they would have done well- that’s capitalism)? And you think that $500 is too much? Compared to what other tablet computer?

The iPad isn’t targeted at you- it’s targeted at the average consumer which you most definitely are not. And for the average user it does a lot of things. And it will get better.

• Decelerate

Camera, USB port, SD reader.

With those 4 elements it would have been perfect (i’m talking hardware)

• Mr Bill

Its a better pixel pusher if it can deal with 4 times the screen area and still have quicker response than the iTouch.

• End User

The bigger screen is the magic.

iPhone OS 4.0 should enhance multitasking. We will know more about iPhone OS 4.0 on Thursday (http://bit.ly/bufsZD).

• flip-mode

As Decelerate said – what’s wrong with a bigger screen. I would !personally! never buy an iPod with the express intent of using it as an ebook reader and a web browsing device.. The iPad – yeah, that makes much more sense to me.

• ludi

“If it makes a better e-book reader than the Kindle,”

How would it do that? The whole point of the Kindle’s hardware side is to have a passively-lit screen that doesn’t require constant refresh — and thus, is more “natural” to read and gets phenomenal battery life from a lightweight form-factor.

• flip-mode

Point taken. But, I still see utility in the device. And I’m no Apple fan.

• ludi

Sure, if you had an iPad you would probably use it for reading. But I don’t see it doing it better than the Kindle and there are dozens of netbooks out there that are similarly effective for less money.

• designerfx

in case you’re wondering, kindle and all the other android ebook readers surf the web too. There’s nothing this thing has on anything, other than apple fanboys thinking it’s wonderful and finding it’s heavy as hell

• flip-mode

I don’t know much about ebook readers, but I do know that Kindle makes for a weaksauce web browser.

• Mr Bill

But not in color, right?

• Arag0n

Android tablets are color screens….. I’ve seen plenty into the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona from many manufacturers, they are just waitting for someone to sell their product. Apple domains it’s production, marketing and selling, so they just sell what they think it’s good, but they aren’t usually the first to do the things, just the first to take them to sell because they have full controll of all the chain steps.

• willyolio

l[

• BoBzeBuilder

That’s still way too many suckers.

• MadManOriginal

Mr Jobs is the 21st century P.T. Barnum.

• bdwilcox

Saying such is a disservice to P.T. Barnum. At least he was clever in his efforts to separate fools from their money.

• TurtlePerson2

Mr. Barnum did become more legitimate later in life. His early shows were cons and tricks, but he did have a circus later on.

• jdaven

I thought you said ‘stickers’ like all those crappy stickers that PC manufacturers stick all over desktops and laptops. I hate taking the time to peel all that crap off on a new purchase.

BTW, the iPad has no stickers.

• strikeleader

I think they call them sheep…baa baa baa

• jdaven

Doesn’t buying any commercial product period make you a sheep or is that J’Lo lunchbox of yours a one of a kind smart buy?

• jstern

I wonder if sales will slow down, now that it’s known that it only has 256mb of ram. Multitasking seems doubtful in the future.

• jdaven

It’s not like performance just dropped like that after ‘knowing’ the number. It performs the same as been demonstrated for months.

Besides what does a 1024×768 resolution, stripped down OS, single-tasking device need with more RAM right now. As better models come out with higher res and more OS functionality, the RAM will naturally increase.

Also, most reviews say that the interface is snappy.

• jstern

Nope, performance didn’t suddenly dropped, since the apps were design to work on limited memory in a device that doesn’t multitask. The problem is that programmers won’t have the freedom to do more, especially compared to more powerful slates, like Tegra 2 slates. And of course 256mb might mean no future multitasking. So people might see it as a big negative and thus not want to buy one, which made me wonder if sales will slow down.

• Decelerate

Wasn’t it 512?

• jstern

Nope. 256mb.

• BenBasson

I doubt it. It’s basically just an iPod Touch with a bigger screen, how much RAM can it possibly need?

• End User