HP Slate details slip out

What a surprise… mere days after the release of Apple’s iPad, fresh details about HP’s competing slate device have suddenly made their way onto the web. Engadget has posted "what looks like an internal HP Slate presentation given to cool down some of the iPad hype amongst HP employees;" said presentation reveals the contraption’s price tag and full specifications.

Apparently, the HP Slate will have a 8.9" 1024×600 capacitive multi-touch display, a 1.6GHz Atom Z530 processor, Intel integrated graphics (possibly flanked by a Broadcom Crystal HD decoder chip), 1GB of DDR2 RAM, either 32 or 64GB of flash storage, 802.11g Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and a two-cell polymer battery rated for "up to 5+ hours" of run time.

Other perks will include an accelerometer, an ambient light sensor, support for stylus-based input, inward- and outward- facing cameras, an HDMI out, and an SD card reader with support for capacities as high as 128GB. HP will offer optional 3G, WWAN, and GPS functionality, too. As Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer made clear three months ago, the HP Slate will run Windows 7 Home Premium. Engadget’s leaked slide also mentions an "HP touch-optimized UI."

Physically speaking, this device will measure 9.2" x 5.7" x 0.6" and tip the scales at 1.49 lbs—a little smaller and thicker than the iPad.

Somewhat surprisingly, the slide suggests that HP won’t undercut Apple. Pricing will purportedly start at $549 for the base HP Slate model and reach up to $599, perhaps for the 64GB flavor. Neither Engadget nor the slide reveal how much extras like 3G connectivity will add to the total, though.

• lycium

“up to 5+”- marketing nonsense at its finest!

• outcast

NEW! HP’s Slate Device: A Full Mobile Experience

Watch the video here
    §[<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeDalRBjyJo<]§ or on HP's Chanel §[<http://www.youtube.com/user/hpcomputers<]§

• Ricardo Dawkins

NETBOOKS, NETBOOKS, NETBOOKS

Hey, just yesterday took my friend’s HP netbook for a ride. Pretty fine browsing around using IE7, flash videos played fine and a DVD rip of the Spiderman 3 movie looked gorgeous on the machine LCD. Even the owner thinks the movie looked better than DVD quality on a TV box.

We had to remove a bunch of cruff installed as default by HP to make the netbook zippy.

• provoko

Yea! WTF is with this pad craze? I’m buying a netbook tomorrow. Haha.

Everyone is nitpicking on the stupidest things, but it comes down to a device falling extremely short of a computer… OBVIOUSLY.

• MadManOriginal

I used to be an Atom hater just based on the ‘omg it’s slow’ basis but then I got a chance to mess around with a Dell Mini 10. All in all, not bad, and more than passable for what I’d expect from a basic $300 light use and web browsing machine. I’d be willing to bet that a big problem with netbooks is the hard drive. If one wanted to be a little silly and spend $200 on an SSD the result would probably be a lot more ‘snapiness’ and more space than a tablet for ~$500…or quite a bit less on a 7200 RPM drive.

• Jigar

HP Slate = Apple ipad = Fail, atleast in my eyes.

• blastdoor

The only thing that this has in common with an iPad is that you seem to enjoy criticizing both.

I personally would not find this appealing, but I’m sure that there are people who will have good reasons to buy it. HP has just chosen to make a different set of tradeoffs with this device than Apple has with theirs. Apple’s will appeal to some, HP’s will appeal to others. Many will buy neither.

And believe it or not, the vast majority of the people who buy one or the other (or neither) will do so without feeling that they are morally superior to people in one of the other two groups, and the idea of calling people who make other decisions “irrational” or “stupid” or “tools” or whatever will not even occur to them. Do you know why? Because they have lives.

• Jigar

It’s obvious that you didn’t read my comment that this are failed products in my eyes. I can suggest people not to buy this, but can i control their purchasing decision ? No. Cause people have life and that’s given. 🙂

• blastdoor

Let’s see — this has more RAM, more Hz in the CPU, more ports, cameras, a desktop OS, and more storage capacity (all relative to an iPad). Oh, and it probably has a lower profit margin for HP. So by all these metrics, it’s a better product, and anyone who buys an iPad simply because the user experience is better is an idiot.

• Decelerate

More Hz in the CPU? That’s how you rate your device? I have a few Pentium Ds to sell you…

Oh, and battery life is a non-issue, right? /s

HP’s slate dissapoints, now the only hope is the Notion Ink Adam…

• End User

My ASUS 1201 (running Ubuntu) has more memory, USB ports, higher res display, HDMI out and more storage than the iPad. I anticipate the iPad replacing it completely for everything but my most Ubuntu specific tinkering.

• blastdoor

Sorry guys — I was being ironic.

• Cuhulin

Now there’s a comment that should earn its author a Darwin award.

Since the only purpose for buying a device is to use it, what else matters besides the user experience? Speed, memory and all the rest are just part of creating a good user experience. On their own, they have no relevance.

• WillBach

The receptionist at the dealership that services my Subaru has a tablet that runs Vista. It seems to work really well. I asked her about it, and she said that she’s very happy with it. I think the coolest thing that her tablet did was have the mouse follow the stylus, even when it wasn’t touching the page, and having buttons on the stylus that let her emulate mouse input. She was able to rapidly navigate forms, select options and produce an auto-tabulated estimate. The table let my record my signature as well. I guess that my point is, tablets can be really useful, they just require applications that work well in tablet form. I guess we’ll see how good HP’s software is when the Slate is released.

• albundy

“Pricing will purportedly start at $549 for the base HP Slate model and reach up to $599”

until every maker known to man starts shelling out their own brand…then expect the price to drop!

• bender

If the stylus support is good, this thing may be really useful. Right now I have about 20 notebooks sitting around full of class notes, drawings, ideas, scratch stuff…etc. A device like this could make it so I don’t need any more. Microsoft OneNote looks pretty sweet.

I’ve also run Win 7 on a first gen Atom with 1GB ram. No problems. It didn’t run full screen Hulu very well, but Flash should be hardware accelerated pretty soon. Everything else ran fine.

So, this thing has stylus support, 2 cameras, USB, a real processor, a real OS providing the ability to install or develop any app I want (believe it or not, applications can be designed with pen/finger input in mind for Win 7, and they will be if there is a good enough reason), HDMI HD out, and I imagine, the ability to install linux on it. This is where I like to see this form factor headed.

I would like a slightly bigger screen with better resolution however. More battery life, naturally. Oh, I also want it for free.

• StashTheVampede

Windows 7 may support the touch screen interface, but not all Windows applications do — it’s a terrible hit and miss setup that is bound to show once people start trying to use the Slate as a desktop machine. I’d say the “input” advantage is going to the iPad because it was built without a stylus or physical keyboard from day one.

Desktop resolution? Why is HPs lower? WEAK. It’s not many pixels and they probably did it for a more widescreen presentation (1.7 vs. 1.33), but why couldn’t they do an even higher resolution or straight copy Apple?

One thing that I much prefer is the inward and outward facing camera! We all know Apple *will* have one, but this is a clear win for the slate. Combine that sucker with wifi A/B/G/N and Skype, that’s a very attractive feature for people.

• thecoldanddarkone

I think the input advantage is more of a tie. Simply because from the specs it probably supports an active digitizer, if it supports an active digitizer it becomes a much more flexible device (pressure sensitivity pen). I wasn’t interested at all in this device, but because it’s smaller and lighter than I thought, it becomes much more attractive.

for a few people who said it doesn’t have hyperthreading

§[<http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=35463<]§

• indeego

But the app productivity advantage goes back to the Slateg{<.<}g Bring over your settings and files from a desktop/laptop has massive advantages for a slate. Millions of "apps" versus a few thousand [Yeah I know there are more but the vast majority of apps on the i* are sh*t for the Mac.]

• StashTheVampede

Not sure about productivity. Number of apps != more productivity.

The Slate definitely has the capacity to replace someone’s netbook.

• HolyAngel

Wow, nice specs.

For all you guys complaining about the atom, you clearly haven’t used one properly then and/or you only had 512mb of ram in the computer. I run an I7-930 with 12gb of ram as my desktop, and have a D250 aspire one with an N270 atom and 1gb of ram, and it runs just as well. It’s faster than my core2duo 6600 desktop running windows xp.

So all in all, this slate sounds like something worth buying, and worth the 550 bucks, as compared to the oversized ipod touch that can do what my iphone does for well over twice the money.

Don’t forget that if this is running Win7 that you’re giving up WAY more storage for the OS than with the iPad. 32GB is more like 15GB usable.

• thecoldanddarkone

I can’t remember exactly, I *think* it’s a little more. I’m not going to wipe my tablet pc to find out.

• Ricardo Dawkins

Easy to expand “storage” with a SDHC card or a USB stick duct taped to it. 😉

• FuturePastNow

1024×600, boo

• SomeOtherGeek

I don’t know, is the 1024 for vertical? if it is then it beats all the nettops.

• Sahrin

*huge* disappointment. We’ll obviously need to see how Win7 pans out but by and large this is a large push towards the iPad for me.

• mczak

Strongly doubt that it’ll have a Broadcom Crystal HD decoder chip. Z-series atoms afaik always come with poulsbo chipset, which already handle HD decoding themselves just fine.

• ModernPrimitive

I worked on an Asus netbook for a friend last week. Atom with Windows 7 starter. It ran much smoother than i expected. I wouldn’t mind owning one actually and was completely against them beforehand. I’ve yet to see anyone complain that the iPad isn’t running OSX oddly enough….. I would take a slate over an iPad anyday but thats just me. It’s much more ‘magical’.

• BoBzeBuilder

I shall buy one. No not really, I’m not an Atom fan. Meh.

• ColdMist

One glaring omission is no 802.11N support. Just G. So, no streaming of an HD video over the network from my NAS box.

• khands

That is quite unfortunate, I have a feeling we’ll see something better not too long from now anyways.

• wira020

So far, only the courier i think would be worth my money… come on microsoft! i think this is the best chance for you to beat apple.. if it is anything like it’s concept video, i’m sure it will put iPad to shame…

• leor

wow, all kinds of epic fail going on there. a z530? so it doesn’t even have hyperthreading?

anyone here ever run windows 7 on an atom? i have, on pinetrail in fact and that baby was safe in the hands of costco the following week.

• srg86

I regually run Windows 7 on an Atom 330 and it feels totally fine, all the moans about it being too slow are completely unfounded most of the time. Sure it’s not s speed demon, but it runs normal web and office applications fine.

I’ve also tried it on the 230 as well, and it’s fine there too.

I just don’t get your thought process.

• leor

my thought process was being bored while waiting for the netbook to respond to mouse clicks and open windows on a brand new Pinetrail based HP Mini.

Maybe you’re ok with things taking a full second to register before anything happens, but it’s 2010, I’m not.

• mcnabney

I run Win7 on an Atom + ION box (with 2GB of RAM) and it handles mediacenter and web duties without breaking a sweat. Oh, and yes it can do HULU.

When I swapped the drives in a Dell Mini 9, I installed Win7 Home Premium on it because that’s what the owner wanted. I used it for a couple hours to make sure that it was stable and ready, and you’re right, it’s slow.

But the previous OS was XP, and XP is full of security issues and whatnot. I’d take slow over that, but the fact remains that Atom costs too much for the performance loss.

• Stargazer

q[

• ludi

Odd you should ask because a friend recently picked up a an Asus 1005PE
      (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220682) and I was comparing it to my Timeline dual-core CULV last night, particularly to see what the Aero differences look like back-to-back. Summarily, Win7 Starter runs just fine, provided you’re expecting netbook-level performance (i.e., basic office and Internet tasks) and not a quad-core i7 or something.

• TREE

I’d take an iPad over this rubbish any day. I don’t even like Apple all that much, but at least the iPad is not using an atom processor, has an IPS capacitive touch screen and has a battery that lasts longer than 5 hours… Furthermore the body itselt it isn’t made of 100% plastic, as lets face it almost everything portable HP produce is plastic.

• sweatshopking

notion ink baby. that is the balls system

• jstern

The Ipad is using a custom made last generation Arm processor and has 256mb of ram. I rather take the HP slate, it can at least connect to an HD television and play HD videos, not limited to 570p or so.

• Decelerate

The iPad has 720p possibilities, not the HP slate

• jstern

Not from what I’ve read in comparison to Tegra 2 tablets. (Not sure about the HP slate, but if it has a Broadcom chip then I assume it will be able to handle HD videos.) From what I’ve read the iPad can only output something like 570p when connected to a HDTV. And that kind of make sense, considering the hardware. 256mb of ram probably also limits its HD capabilities. Just looked it up on Apple.com, the iPad connected to a HDTV, 576p video. So no, the iPad cannot handle HD.

• Decelerate

But doesn’t the iPad handle 720p on its screen?

I don’t care about plugging the thing onto a TV, I’m evaluating the device on its own.

• jstern

It has 720p resolution for the OS, but not for video.

For example my 2002 Dell laptop ran at 1600 x 1200 resolution, but it sure as hell could not play a high definition video.

• Decelerate

H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

From Apple’s web page. Sounds like like 720p to me.

• jstern

The comparison I saw of the iPad and a Tegra2 Slate said 576p that’s where I got my number, and just scanned for it on the Apple page. But if you notice the highest resolution the ipad supports for an external display is 1024 by 768. That’s means that the the 720p movie is going to have black bars on the top and the bottom. Not quite HD and not very convenient. And even if it did support 1280×720 for movies, in comparison to virtually every other slate, hardware wise it is still crap especially for the price.

Just looked it up on Goggle and the HP Slate will handle 1080p movies.

• Decelerate

What’s wrong with black bars?

Edit: I stand corrected, I thought 720p was 1024×720, not 1280×720 🙁

• outcast

*[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Common_Video_Resolutions_2.svg<]§ *[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution<]§

• Decelerate

Yes I am aware, your point is?

• MadManOriginal

No kidding. Dumbasses who complain about black bars are the ones who allow the industry to get away with promoting lower pixel counts displays as somehow superior because they’re ‘Full HD.’

• designerfx

maybe you would, but most people like a fully functional tablet. I wouldn’t take the slate over the ipad, but I wouldn’t take the ipad either. I’d rather see something come out that actually has the pc capability and a usable interface for long periods of time. Ipad and slate are neither.

• grantmeaname

the iPad has a significantly slower processor than the atom, a quarter the RAM, no multitasking, less memory, and a neutered excuse for an operating system. It’s also more expensive, so it can have a fruit engraved on the back.

• KoolAidMan

And yet it is smoother and faster than any netbook, convertable, or tablet with faster “on paper” specs. Hmmm…

• ludi

Not hard to do when you’re only running one thing at a time (and eschew all Flash).

• Sunburn74

Um… you can’t print from the iPad.

• ztrand

Well there goes the possibility of pitching it as a casual gaming device a la ipad/iphone. Intel graphics…. sigh.

• Kulith

Damn, now I can’t play Crysis on my touch based tablet. And there is no other reason I would want one.

[/sarcasm]

• ztrand

yes because that’s what I meant when I said casual gaming.

/sarcasm

• wira020

Flash not casual enough for you? Or does it also need to be called Apps and bought at a virtual store?

• ztrand

I was clearly talking about the abysmal graphics performance of the intel chip. Yes flash support is nice, but that’s not gonna let you run anything remotely decent looking in 3d.

And when I say 3d I mean polygon based rasterized images.

And when I say polygon based I really mean objects defined in a 3d space with the help of triangle meshes.

And when I say rasterized images I mean that the triangle meshes are then rasterized to a 2d-screen using a combination of fixed functions and various small programs called Shaders.

Clear?

• wira020

Yup, unfortunately Atom can run flash… i guess it will just stuck with flash games.. flash casual games… sigh…

• ltcommander.data

Mobile gaming is one area I don’t see the benefit of Windows’ vast software library. How many games are there for Windows that are designed for a touchscreen, accelerometer, and a portable experience in mind? I don’t think existing Windows games would translate very well to the Slate’s input scheme.