Deal of the week: A 23” IPS monitor for $310 and a cheap mechanical keyboard

Of the few types of LCD panels dominating the industry right now, IPS happens to be the highest-quality one. As you’d expect, though, good IPS panels don’t come cheap. Well, not usually. But here’s the thing: Newegg currently has an IPS-based 23" NEC display on sale for $309.99 before shipping.

This monitor’s IPS panel has a 1920×1080 resolution, 178° viewing angles, 270 cd/m² luminosity, a 1000:1 contrast ratio (or 3000:1 dynamic), and a 14-ms white-to-black response time. Connectivity includes DVI, VGA, and DisplayPort—so folks with Eyefinity-capable Radeons could even build a totally sweet three-monitor setup out of these. There are built-in speakers, as well, if you like that sort of thing on a monitor.

Generally speaking, displays in this price range tend to have either TN or PVA panels. TN panels have six instead of eight bits of color definition per channel, so their color reproduction isn’t stellar, and they often have awful viewing angles, too. PVA panels are better, but IPS ones generally have the best color reproduction and consistency at different viewing angles. Considering 24" IPS monitors like Dell’s U2410 usually sell in the $400-500 range (if not above that), $309.99 for a 23" model is a steal.

Otherwise, Newegg is running a sale on ABS’ M1 mechanical keyboard. Normally priced at $49.99, the keyboard now sells for $29.99 shipped, and you can bring that down to just $19.99 by entering the promo code "EMCYRZT43" (without the quotes) on the checkout page. That’s a steal for a quality mechanical keyboard. Be sure to check out our review of the M1 for more details. (Thanks to TR forum dweller Kurotetsu for the tip.)

• TheBob!

I would like to say as far as the keyboard goes. Lot of complains about it not really doing 6 keys at once. I did a test on my current cheap logitech keyboard. I can hit 2 of WASD at a time plus space. I game all the time. That has never hurt me. I think most of the complains are really the norm, just most people don’t go and test. I would have never known that some key combos on my current keyboard can only support 3 keys at once if I had not tested it.

I didn’t need a new keyboard, but at 20$, that keyboard is hard to pass up.

• playboysmoov

Man too bad I just bought 2 Dell 2209WA’s like a month ago, 22″ 1680X1050 IPS monitors for $220 a piece. I had a viewsonic vx2640 that I bought a year ago from Costco that started acting funny, so I returned it and bought the dells with my refund. Came out to about the same.

The ABS is a great deal! I love my ABS keyboard! Going from a microsoft natural egromonic to this made my hands feel a lot better after emails and surfing. I paid $50 for mine and its a steal for $20. Great deals IMO.

• anotherengineer

I just ordered up parts to build a PC for my aunt and that NEC monitor is among them, I’m interested to see it for myself, have to wait 1 more week, gnd shipping from the other side of the country isnt an overnight thing lol

• LoneWolf15

Don’t forget to use Bing Cashback –you could get another 3% off.

I’d buy that NEC myself if I didn’t have an S-PVA Dell 2407WFP. NEC makes some of the best LCDs on the market.

Buying one of the keyboards for my wife. The IBM Model-M I’ve had for her isn’t always getting along with the Intel DG965OT mainboard in the rig I built for her.

• CasbahBoy

They need an abnormally high amount of juice to run compared to most cheapo keyboards these days, and manufacturers aren’t rating their PS/2 ports like they used to.

• Bauxite

There is a solution, get a ps2/usb converter that doesn’t suck. Theres a couple that are properly made: full voltage spec, works on even the most obscure keyboards, passes all keys properly.

The one I’ve seen talked about most is a “blue cube” for ~$7.

If you are a model M aficionado, check out geekhack.org

I think you have to own a dozen /[

• CasbahBoy

Not a dozen, but rather four – and the oldest was manufactured only two years after I was born, so 24 years ago 🙂

I just checked out that site – before I was only really aware of clickykeyboards.com. In their PS2->USB adapter thread, I have the following adapter:

VendorID: 0d3d (Cypress Semiconductor – note: SW incorrectly reports Tangtop Technology)
          ProductID: 0001

It doesn’t pass the multiple keypress test though, one of the keys stick when you hit 3 or 4 simultaneous keypresses. Four is always a mistake condition for me, but a stuck signals response is pretty much unacceptable for gaming. I’ll try one of the others.

• Krogoth

FNT was lamenting on the fact that TN panels were taking over. Yet, IPS panels are getting more affordable.

Talk about irony.

• Damage

The FNT was talking about laptops, where finding a non-TN display isn’t easy.

• Bauxite

Its impossible in a lot of form factors 🙁

I’d pay more for IPS in a 11-12″ culv-style “netbook” in a year or two, but theres no way that will happen.

• Tumbleweed

I’m waiting on reviews for the ~$425 24″ HP ZR24W H-IPS panel. The specs look great, plus it’s 16:10 (the 22″ version of this monitor isn’t, so be warned).

• Vasilyfav

1920 x 1080

No thanks, I’ll pass.

• Krogoth

Sorry, 1920×1200 (16:10) is going the way of 1280×1024 (5:4).

1920×1080 (16:9) is a more consistent ratio for media sources.

I bet most people can’t tell the difference between 1920×1080 and 1920×1200. OH NOES! I lose 120 pixels of horizontal resolution. Send in the marines to get those bastards who came up with 16:9 ratio.

• JrezIN

errr… “vertical” resolution? ;]

• Kurotetsu

l[

• CasbahBoy

Yes, but we’re not “most people.” If we were buying computer components for “most people” and not outselves we would take our chances with the cheapest LCD of an acceptable size at Best Buy!

(Not to rag on Best Buy, they can have competitive pricing sometimes.)

You can count me in as one of the people with a 1920×1200 display that literally views a 1920×1080 as a downgrade. If my 2408WFP spent most of its time playing back full screen media, perhaps I would view 16:9 more favorably, but it doesn’t. I use operating systems and play games, the media gets streamed to the machine attached to my living room display.

• EndlessWaves

But games are better on 16:9.

A lot of games expand horizontally rather than shrink vertically as you stretch the monitor so a 1920×1080 screen will actually show more than a 1920×1200 screen.

They way they’ve handled the introduction of 16:9 is awful, especially the resolutions they’ve picked but unfortunately it seems to have happened and all we can hope is that they hurry up and come out with the 2176×1224 screens so we don’t have to sacrifice vertical space when we upgrade.

• Bauxite

Some of us moved on and got a 27″ 16:9 with 1440 vertical :p

(thought about the 30s awhile ago, but yet to see one I’d want)

• Flying Fox

The extra 120 vertical pixels give the space for the playback controls and I appreciate that.

• anotherengineer

Hey I want those pixels for my toolbar though 🙁

• OneArmedScissor

It’s nice that there are a few options for affordable and nice IPS monitors, but they’ve been around for a little bit now, and I have yet to hear about any with LED back lights or that have power use levels more like similarly priced monitors even from 5 years back. 🙁

It’s a hell of an improvement over CRTs, but I just figured we’d be a step beyond even that now. I’m a little annoyed that the technology exists to make it happen, but it’s not being utilized.

• bdwilcox

I wouldn’t care if my monitor ran on coal and baby harp seals as long as it looked good.

• EndlessWaves

The EA231WMi is actually part of the current drop in power levels, this isn’t a 90W IPS screen from five years back and is even lower than a 40W TN screen of the same period, PRAD measured it using 29W at 140cd/m²

RGB LED backlights are obviously waiting for price drops and wide gamut support and I guess White LEDs weren’t used because CCFLs are a known technology and at this price you want something reliable.

• OneArmedScissor

Five years back, $300 got you a 19″ TN panel that used about 20w. That’s what I was referring to.

It doesn’t matter if IPS used more back then. After five freakin years, I’d expect improvements at the same price, on all fronts, but it’s missing a key one that matters more to the general public, and it’s certainly feasible.

• Bauxite

Are you accounting for the size difference? If power draw is relatively the same but screen real estate increased, there is marked improvement.

Not that I really tracked/care very much, since the real changes need to be made in the power generation and delivery sectors.

Theres also the “standby power is retarded” on too many devices problem, but thats almost always lazy design, not much of a technical/science issue.

• OneArmedScissor

The aspect ratio changed and the screen size is hardly different.

It’s not the same amount of power, though. This monitor uses quite a bit more power.

The improvements on all fronts are all reality, just as should be expected. The point is really just that the technology exists, and they’re choosing to not use it.

People who know what an IPS panel is know it uses more power, but they want/need it anyways, so the manufacturers take advantage of that.

• albundy

wow, sign of the times…an ips 23″ last year would have cost you a grand!

• MadManOriginal

Umm, not quite. Although it might be true strictly for 23″ just because there aren’t many monitors of that size, there have been 24″ 16:10 IPS monitors for ~$500-600 for a long while.

• Fighterpilot

The input lag of an H-IPS monitor is noticeable after a TN panel but it only takes a few hours to get use to and quickly becomes the acceptable norm.
    The Dell U2410 I bought shows no redraw lag or ghosting playing BF2,even when flying the fast jets.I don’t know what 14ms is going to look like but the 6ms response time of the Dell is not a problem.
    Movies,pictures and websites in general look a fair bit better on it than the TN.

• StuG

I literally could not stop myself from buying that damned keyboard. I saw it on the forums, I see it here. The entire day I was going “don’t buy it, you don’t need it”. I have a great gaming keyboard….but for $20 I just couldn’t let it go by.

Now I have 2 keyboards…guess I’ll just use my favorite one 😛

• Damage

Worth it. Worry not!

• StuG

I just feel bad, I have a Razer Tarantula…granted didn’t pay full price for it but its still a great keyboard.

Guess we’ll see if mechanical beats membrane…I have a feeling I’m going to miss my media keys the most 😛

• Bauxite

I bought one ~2 weeks ago for $50 after looking into it, its made by the same OEM (costar) that makes some higher end keyboards including the it-came-from-nirvana one I got last year.

I was trying to avoid -[

• CasbahBoy

Don’t feel bad, I’m going to buy the keyboard and won’t even use it for my primary computer!

I have a Space Saver Model M for my main computer (this will never change, seriously) and an Adesso mini keyboard I use for my project machines and the PS3. The Adesso has a rearranged key placement that annoys the hell out of me every time I’m forced to use it, so I’m buying this keyboard to replace it permanently.

Always happy to give TR some Newegg referrer action, too.

• Dashak

I bought it too! Even though I just replaced a logitech with a failing spacebar two weeks ago. : /

• TheBob!

I bought it as well. Been needing a new keyboard. Can’t pass up that deal.

I wonder what gray-to-gray response time on that monitor is. Black to white being 14ms makes for ~72Hz. If gray-to-gray can keep up with that then that’s pretty sweet. If not, then it’s not worth the money for the majority of uses.

• SecretMaster

Not a fan of the wide-screen resolutions, but that does seem like a darn good deal to me.

• Bauxite

You don’t have a choice anymore, 4:3 is long gone.

16:10 is going away too, thats my true gripe…but gave up there too.