3G-enabled iPad to arrive on April 30

Despite postponing the iPad’s international launch, Apple will honor its promise to release 3G-enabled versions of the device this month. The Mac maker has officially announced that the “Wi-Fi + 3G models of its magical iPad” will become available in Apple stores on April 30 at 5:00 PM. Folks who pre-ordered the devices online will get their orders shipped out the same day, as well.

In case you missed the launch buzz, Apple has whipped up two iPad product lines: one with only Wi-Fi connectivity and the other with both Wi-Fi and 3G. The 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB versions of the device with just Wi-Fi cost $499, $599, and $699, respectively. Those prices climb up to $629, $729, and $829 if users want 3G connectivity on top of that.

AT&T will offer two wireless plans especially for iPad 3G users, as well: one with a 250MB data transfer quota for $14.99 a month and another with “unlimited” data for $29.99 a month. Both plans will come without contracts or tie-ins, so users should be able to cancel them anytime they wish.

Speaking of the delayed international launch, Apple reminds folks in Canada, Australia, Japan, and parts of western Europe that they’ll be able to place pre-orders for the iPad on May 10—at which time Apple will, of course, announce pricing. However, international customers will only get their iPads “at the end of May.”

• adisor19

Yes, it’s real GPS not just pseudo-GPS.

Adi

• jdaven

Real GPS called assisted GPS (AGPS). This uses a combination of many different things including satellite if I’m not mistaken.

• crsh1976

Yeah, not in Canada unfortunately, the cheapest iPhone package is $65 before taxes and fees (and that’s far from providing unlimited data); another $30-40 for the iPad data plan (wild guess, could be more) means I sure as hell won’t consider buying a 3G model of the iPad.

• indeego

isuppli is cute and all. The best place to see the real cost of items is blue books or auction sites. They match much more closely to what an object is worth, since the buyer ultimately has control over the pricesg{<.<}g

• tay

But isupply says i should pay $30. Who cares about R&D and support.

• Skrying

What point are you trying to make? It obviously doesn’t cost Dell or HP $100+ to include the 3G radio in their laptops but they do charge $100+ for me or you to have it built into a laptop.

• ew

Does the 3G one even have real GPS? Or is it the fake cell tower based GPS the first iPhone had.

• crsh1976

Magic. And revolutionary magic at that.

Effing iPads, how do they work?

• indeego

meh. If technology is important you’ll move for it. I moved because DSL sucked in the apartments I used to live ing{<.<}g

• demani

If only that were an option across most of the country. The coverage for that is to ATT’s as ATT’s is to Verizon. But someday…

• wira020

They made it bigger using MAGIC!

• indeego

Get a device with 4g/clear and a skype/google/other phone and stop paying separate fees for cell network voice/texts. If you pull it off you can pay say $~<$33/month for limitless phone/data/IM if you get others to join you. This would also be your ISP fee.

Were work not paying for my carrier it is exactly what I would dog{<.<}g

• crsh1976

As we all do, but hey it’s much more fun for the service provider to rip us off a second time.

• blastdoor

I was very torn on which to get. I ultimately opted for the wifi for the same reason that I don’t buy big boxes of cookies — I’d end up gorging myself on 3g if I had it, and I just can’t bring myself to send AT&T another $30 on top of what I’m already paying them.

• Corrado

I’m waiting for the 3G one, if only for the GPS. Maybe I’ll use the 3G, maybe I won’t, but I can be pretty sure I’ll use the GPS for somethings. The WiFi only doesn’t have GPS.

• HiggsBoson

isuppli did a “virtual teardown” of the ipad based on the announced specs back in Feb, and they estimated <$30 for the extra components (radio stuff + GPS) of the 3G model

§[<http://www.isuppli.com/News/Pages/Mid-RangeiPadtoGenerateMaximumProfitsforApple,iSuppliEstimates.aspx?PR<]§ their revised numbers based on an actual shipping unit, only revised the costs for the display, battery, a few other (non 3G-related) components §[<http://www.isuppli.com/News/Pages/User-Interface-Focused-iPad-Changes-the-Game-in-Electronic-Design-iSuppli-Teardown-Reveals.aspx<]§

• ew

*[<250MB data transfer quota for $14.99 a month<]* I want this for my iPhone and I want to keep my $0.10/minute voice plan.

• dpaus

Me too. From what I can gather, Apple has released a new model of the iPod Touch with a larger screen. Wait, since when was the iPod Touch “magical and revolutionary”??

• SomeOtherGeek

Crap! I missed the “launch buzz”. What’s up?

• sweatshopking

Steve will get out of bed. urinate with morning W**d then have a cup of steaming hot expresso. not the cheap stuff, this man wants the best. after that, he will probably approve more chinese assaults and use of banned chemicals. It’s all in a days work for Ol’ stevie.

• roont

I’ll just keep my opinion to myself on that one. lol

• blastdoor

edit: nevermind^2

• indeego

edit: nevermindg{<. <}g

• indeego

Can we get an update in an hour please on Apple’s May 1 plansg{

• BiffStroganoffsky

Yes, yes it does. It’s an Apple product made by ‘geniuses’ and those don’t come cheap. Phhht…reply fail.

• sweatshopking

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG I TOTALLY NEED ONE. OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

• Skrying

Yes. Just visit a laptop manufacturers page like HP or Dell. To add a 3G radio to one of their units gives very similar prices. Typically between $100 to $150.

• blastdoor

I’m pretty sure that should be 250 MB, not 250 GB.

• thecoldanddarkone

Adding 3g to any device cost about 130. It’s typically a ripoff addon.

• Farting Bob

Does it really cost $130 to add 3G antennas and all the other required parts? Seems like a big ol’ rip off (even by apple standards) to me.

Share this post with your friends!