New Dell ultraportable is all AMD

One of those 135 laptop designs built around AMD’s 2010 mobile platform refresh has just popped up on Dell’s Singapore website. The Inspiron M301z is a consumer ultraportable with a 13.3″ display size, a thickness of just under one inch, and a weight that starts at 3.89 lbs.

Dell outfits the machine with a choice of dual-core Athlon II Neo K325 and Turion II Neo K625 processors. The former runs at 1.3GHz with a 2GT/s HyperTransport speed, while the latter does 1.5GHz and 3.2GT/s, but both otherwise have very similar specifications. Those CPUs work in tandem with an RS880M chipset that includes DirectX 10.1 Mobility Radeon HD 4225 graphics.

Dell’s cheapest Inspiron M301z model otherwise features 2GB of RAM, a 320GB hard drive, 802.11g Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1, a six-cell lithium-ion battery, and Windows 7 Home Premium x64. Pricier alternatives have faster CPUs and more RAM, but they don’t bring upgrades for other components.

Dell Singapore quotes a $999 price tag for the base Inspiron M301z build. Assuming that price is in Singapore dollars, it works out to about $721 USD. The most expensive M301z model is $1,199 SGD, or about $865 USD.

• Bauxite

N isn’t a big deal for a mobile, its a home use/desktop thing.

2.4 is crowded in almost every place you take a laptop and don’t use the cat5 jack…its all about getting online. The only places you might get the real bandwidth out of 2.4 N is your home, as long as its not an apartment building or just about anywhere in a metro area šŸ™‚

A on the other hand will crop up in a lot of corporate places, and its very cheap to upgrade to an A/G chipset these days. Even aftermarket minicards its literally a $2 difference. Although, most of the good ones today are A/G+N so you’re sort of on target.

I love going to a big conference or whatever, doing a quick scan and seeing tons of hotel APs fighting each other and all the noisy local coffee joints, cafes, etc. Then I switch bands and theres a nice quiet 5ghz AP just waiting for me.

Damn I ramble.

• FuturePastNow

Very nice, but that quoted price is too high by about $300.

• Skrying

No, if I want battery life I have to buy an Intel based system. I also get better CPU performance with a loss in GPU performance… what I would do on a 13″ laptop that requires more than the Intel GPU remains a mystery.

• shank15217

Except, its a new architecture, that doesn’t happen every year, especially from AMD.

• OneArmedScissor

I just laughed a little too much. I’m easy.

• BooTs

GIANT PICTURE OF A LAPTOP

• OneArmedScissor

It’s fun to pretend.

• OneArmedScissor

If you want what’s coming out a year in the future, wait exactly one year!

• MadManOriginal

I’m hoping for good things from ULV Core iX CPU systems without discrete graphics in terms of battery life and battery life:max performance ratio. Personally I don’t care about ‘better mediocrity’ which mostly sums up discrete graphics in non-DTR laptops.

• Skrying

Can’t bring myself to care unless it has 6+ hours of battery life. It’s too bad that it will probably be in the 5 and under area. It looks great for that price point and the configuration in terms of weight and thickness. Could be attractive but I want more life than that in my next laptop, personally.

• shank15217

Waiting for Lenovo to update their x100e line with this refresh then im gonna spring for one.

• Firestarter

Windows handles it perfectly well, it’s the eyes or OS preference that need adjusting.

• dpaus

Ah, but I’m typing this on a 2- (3?) year-old Inspiron 1501 with a dual-core Turion64 (which has served me well, it should be noted). It was one of several AMD-based laptops available at the time. Then they all disappeared….

But, yes, it’s nice to see the Intel stranglehold slipping away.

• UberGerbil

Yeah, that’s the sweet spot midway between 720 and 1080. And a 15.6″ panel at 1600×900 has a DPI almost exactly the same as a 13.3″ panel at 1366×768

Though given the dot pitch on 17″ 1080 panels and 11.6″ 720 panels is tolerable, I don’t see why 1600×900 isn’t at least an option in some of the sub-15″ machines. The screen on the VAIO Z series packs those pixels into a 13.3″ display, and it looks lovely (it’s the price tag that’a hard to handle.)

• fyo

We’ve always had an OS that could handle high-dpi displays, not just reasonably gracefully, but really well… oh, you meant Windows. Never mind.

• BiffStroganoffsky

It must be Monday. I think Cyril only creates new words and nations on Fridays.

• khands

Yeah, 1600×900 would be nice.

• UberGerbil

Of course it is. While that’s tolerable in the 13″ size, I really wish we’d see more higher res screens at that size and especially in the 14″-15″ range. We’ve now got an OS that can handle high dpi reasonably gracefully, but the panel guys haven’t responded. If you’re going to take away vertical pixels with 16:9, at least give us a denser display overall.

• UberGerbil

There’s an “AMD” choice in the Desktop models, and several AMD-powered servers as well. The mobile side of things is clearly still on its way, as this “leak” on the Singapore Dell site suggests (I mean, where are any of the 135 new AMD notebook designs from /[

• Meadows

Damn, you finally fixed it.

• dpaus

Funny, when I go to their website

Ā§[<http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/notebooks?c=ca&l=en&s=bsd&cs=cabsdt1&~ck=mn<]Ā§ to look for a laptop, I'm told I can pick any CPU that I want from the following list: IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ Duo (1) IntelĀ® CeleronĀ® (1) IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ 2 Duo (13) IntelĀ® Atomā„¢ (2) IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i7 (7) IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i5 (11) Where's the love? :-)

• flip-mode

It seems the display is 1366×768 in case anyone is wondering.

• Firestarter

This is the kind of deal that AMD needs!

• Meadows

Ah, so it’s not Spingapore anymore?
    Ā§[<https://techreport.com/discussions.x/18876<]Ā§ ;)

• UberGerbil

Dell has been giving AMD a lot of love lately The last time I wandered by their site they were giving pride of place to an XPS desktop sporting an X6 CPU and 5-series GPU.

• stmok

If you want battery life; wait for AMD’s 2011 “Brazos” platform. It’ll be using the “Ontario” (GPU+CPU) processor based on “Bobcat” cores.

Will replace this year’s platform.

• thecoldanddarkone

I disagree. TF2 is cpu bound at times. Especially at such a low clock speed.

• dpaus

The Neo is a 1.3 GHz dual-core Athlon II – plenty of power for (laptop) gaming

• potatochobit

I can play TF2 and WoW on medium with these easily correct?
    Neo is not some sort of atom like processor is it?

• Pasdepardon

Nice update hunting Cyril. Syngapore, wtf?

• MadManOriginal

Not bad. Battery life tests will be key to how successful these really are. Too bad it doesn’t have wireless N OR GigE for connectivity, rockin’ the networking like it’s 2005!

• khands

Interesting, wonder what the battery life is on this thing.

Share this post with your friends!