Corrinne Yu talks shop

If you’re a PC gamer who’s never heard of Corrinne Yu, you’re missing out on one of the more intriguing folks in 3D gaming. She’s a 3D engine programmer to rival some familiar names like Carmack and Sweeney, and is currently Principal Engine Architect on the Halo Team at Microsoft. Corrinne’s very personable and is a little more willing to talk to the wider world than the guys. I’ve seen her speak in person a couple of times about new developments in DirectX and GPUs, but it’s always been in the context of larger happenings like the introduction of a new GPU architecture, so I’ve never really had a chance to write about it.

Here’s the next best thing to seeing her speak in person: a video interview where she answers questions from the public about programming, console hardware, and the state of PC gaming.

Get Microsoft Silverlight

She does get on a roll and start speaking in tongues every now and then, but that’s part of the fun. There’s real insight there, obviously. Watch and wonder.

• Vaughn

Her husband is a lucky man.

Its very difficult to find an attractive woman that smart, love her passion for what she does.

• Corrado

Meh. She’s OK. Definitely attractive, but she’s not OMG GORGEOUS. The geekyness helps though. I am supremely impressed with her intelligence/knowledge of what she does though.

• yogibbear

Okay… the first 10 minutes were unimpressive and i found it hard to understand her endless verbal lack of sentences. Then i started to get used to it and actually /[

• noobkillerkiller

She is not a member of Bungie. She is a member of the team that is doing the future Halo games, so she didn’t do anything related to Halo 3.

And you are a troll

• Ashbringer

Boobs and brains. Just when you thought it couldn’t be done, nature done it.

And yes, that’s not common.

• MagerValp

The actual WMV stream is at §[<http://ecn.channel9.msdn.com/o9/ch9/3/8/5/8/4/5/CorrinneYuPartOneQuestions_ch9.wmv<]§ and it plays fine in VLC.

• CampinCarl

Anyone else getting ‘glitchy’ sound? Can’t hear anything and that’s kind of annoying. Watching it direct from Channel9 is fine though. Weird.

• BooTs

Anyone else notice she never makes eye contact for more than 1/4 of a second?

• Flying Fox

With what? The camera or the interviewer? She might have been just in a zone talking about all the technical stuff she is so passionate about.

• End User

Silverlight? Hell no!

• Suspenders

Heh, yeah. “Install Microsoft Silverlight” no thanks.

• Jon

She most obviously won the gene pool lottery, looks and brains.

• BooTs

Boo. Still don’t want to install Silverlight.

• danny e.

silverlight > flash

• BooTs

I’m completely willing to believe that. Still wouldn’t make me want to install silverlight. Would rather I didn’t have to install flash either.

• FireGryphon

I love how she’s so into what she does. It’s inspiring.

• hansmuff

Anyone who admires 68k assembly is my friend. I love how animated she is about the topics, she evidently has given technical matters a LOT of thought. She cares and knows, and it’s great to hear her hovering way above “current” technology and being able to express how old-school thinking will apply again.

• Fighterpilot

This interview oughta be required viewing for the airhead cheerleader types.
    Is there a guy here that didn’t feel attracted like a moth to a flame by her obviously ginormous brain?
    That is so cool…..total win for posting this video guys!

• Flying Fox

Damage, you got her first name wrong, there are 2 N’s in there.

• ssidbroadcast

She’s smarter than you, *[

What if she *[

• bthylafh

Then I would feel so confused. If you know what I mean, and I think you do.

• ClickClick5

If she is Uber….huh. No further comment.

• Flying Fox

Please post part#2 when it is up. Damn this one is not even showing up on channel9 searches yet. And I am not exactly following Channel9 like I follow TR.

• phez

I enjoy hearing about technically/scientifically gifted women, but this is just ridiculous. I’d be embarrassed to even be around her; we’re nothing but peons by comparison.

§[<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrinne_Yu<]§

• Mentawl

Yeah, I’m with you there. Scarily talented lady.

• KarateBob

I’m not impressed at all. She’s the primary engine programmer for the Halo series. We’re talking about Halo 3. Halo 3 came out 2 years after the Xbox 360 hardware came out (meaning they had 3+ years to work with it) and she managed to get the game to render at 1152×640 @ 30fps max, with frequent slowdown.

I don’t have Silverlight installed, and I’m not about to install it just to watch an interview by a n00b who can’t hold a single LED to Tim Sweeney or John Carmack’s bright flames.

• danny e.

who cares, you’re just and idiot that obviously knows nothing about programming. =)
        I wasted 15 seconds on you. I was happy to give her more than an hour of my time

• KarateBob

danny e., thanks for the response, and the insult. Please re-read

§[<https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11214<]§ 2.) Personal attacks are frowned upon. If you have to resort to such behavior, perhaps you belong someplace else. It is understandable that some discussions can get heated but try to maintain civility. If you cannot, you may be subject to censure or other disciplinary measures. I know more than enough about programming to be thoroughly unimpressed by Halo 3 and the engine that it runs on.

• Fighterpilot

Yes….its hard to be impressed by her…./sarcasm
        l[Besides Halo team, Corrinne Yu programmed as Director of platform Technology of Gearbox Software, and as Director of Technology of ION Storm. Yu programmed as Lead Engine Programmer of the Prey engine at 3D Realms. Besides gaming, Yu programmed on the Space Shuttle program at Rockwell International California. She designed and conducted accelerator experiments at LINAC in California and the accelerator at Brookhaven National Laboratory. Her nuclear physics research won her a national award from the U.S. Department of Energy.[3]]l

• TravelMug

That’s probably a “Sounds like my Tuesday” thing for KarateBob 🙂

• KarateBob

She might have worked for North Korea’s nuclear program for all I care. The engine that powers Halo 3 is unimpressive and it reflects poorly on her supposed abilities. That’s all I’m saying.

• Flying Fox

She’s actually in the same committees and industry groups as Carmack and Sweeney. She also talked about exchanging ideas with people “like them and are them”. Have you been doing something for 20 years? Noob? Were you even born 20 years ago? Go watch the interview. You don’t know what you are talking about. The industry is *[

• KarateBob

/[< If you judge a game solely by the maximum resolution that it can run on non-upgradeable hardware, then you have serious issues. As an architect there are lots of variables to balance and often times compromises are made.<]/ No, if you just a game solely on scability, you have serious issues. Using a fixed platform gives the developer a single hardware profile to optimize for, which further increases my lack of awe for her.

• Mentawl

Yup, I’m afraid your comments just indicate how underqualified you are to criticise her abilities!

• noobkillerkiller

And you are a troll.

• KarateBob

Welcome to the forums, noob. That information was not available. Her mobygames profile lists basically nothing. Her wiki article basically cites nothing, and Halo 3 is an easy target. So, she’s working on Halo 4, or what ever is after Halo Reach? If that runs well, I’ll give her props, if it runs like shit, then she’ll still be extremely unimpressive, and graphically inferior to Jade Raymond.

• voxfiux

I wanna marry this girl, her knowledge; your freaking kidding me!!

• marvelous

She’s already married

• Ashbringer

To a guy who’s the art director of the Halo team. That is one lucky guy.

• henfactor

What’s up with the “Microsoft Silverlight” stuff?

• drsauced

Because it’s movie linked to a Microsoft product on a Microsoft site. Well, I’ve gone this long without Silverlight…

• Flying Fox

Channel9 = Microsoft. So you should expect Silverlight. Technet videos sometimes they do multiple formats though.

• Kromis

God damn, she is hot!

• Flying Fox

Go to channel9 and search for that “previous interview” that was mentioned. And the read the comments about the attire. 😛

• Kromis

Heh, I remember watching brief version of that interview on my 360 back in November, I think. But I never got around to watching the entire thing (thanks for reminding me though!) She looked like she was ready to work the streets in that outfit 🙂

• Flying Fox

Look for the elbow in this current one, got some “gamer type” traits there. 😉

• boing

Don’t some of you guys ever get laid? It’s getting tiresome to read comments about how hot someone is as soon as an image of something that even remotely reassembles something female appears here on TR.

Kudos to everyone else that actually comments on the content of what she’s saying.

• Fighterpilot

Well usually big breasted hotties with great hair and a first class intellect don’t get much air time….
        It must be soooo tiresome for you given how often a female actually appears here on TR(about as rare as Rocking horse poo).

• MadManOriginal

I bet you’re a hot nerdy chick, and if so yes I’d do you.

• marvelous

People are so superficial. Even geeky boards like this one.

She’s obviously not smart enough. “Insert comment here.” She’s just dedicated to programming.

• dextrous

You need to get out more. She’s not ugly, but she’s no where close to a 10.