Acer denies imminent Chrome OS netbook launch

We may not see a Chrome OS-powered Acer netbook at Computex next month, after all. Shooting down recent whispers from the rumor mill, Engadget reports that Acer has put out a statement officially denying any plans of the sort.

Acer doesn’t leave much to the imagination, saying bluntly that it "has no short-term plans for such a product." However, the firm goes on to say Chrome OS is "without doubt an exciting product announcement," and that Acer will "of course be following the development and progress of Google Chrome and the evolution of Google’s overall product strategy very closely." Translation: not yet, but soon.

As we noted earlier this week, Google’s timetable calls for the release of the first Chrome OS-powered netbooks some time in the second half of this year. Last summer, the search giant said it was already collaborating with "multiple" PC vendors on upcoming systems. Perhaps if Acer doesn’t have a Chrome OS netbook out at Computex, other companies might.

• MadManOriginal

Google as the OS on my computer? Nevar! I am surprised that any geek who knows how much Google data mines would be willing to give them *everything* by using their OS. It’s a good thing I’m not concerned over getting a smartphone because I dislike Apple (too draconian locked down) and Google (too much data mining.) The other choices are rather *meh*

• BooTs

No offense taken nor intended. I just respect your comments so much I couldn’t help but be pedantic.

Edit: Reply-fail about a reply-fail. Disregard this post if possible.

• poulpy

Nope. I’d like to take this opportunity to point out you reply-failed in a pedantic attempt 🙂

• BooTs

I am that ascii face-palm guy.

• flip-mode

I meant that you should probably try to get over the big pictures, not my reply fail 😉

• BooTs

I much prefer the image integration used on Ars or TheReg. The images there never takes up 1/2 my reading space.

• flip-mode

Back on topic… I’m really looking forward to seeing some final products based on Chrome OS. I might just pony up for one if I feel like initiating a marital dispute.

• YellaChicken

Just make sure she doesn’t get it in the resulting split 🙂

• BooTs

I think ChromeOS definately has potential to be an excellent niche OS. It will be interesting to see final products with the OS and Hardware designed with the same end-user experience in mind.

• flip-mode

It’s so people can see it on iPhone/Pad/Pod.

Gah. reply to #3

• BooTs

It’s awful. And you reply-failed.

• flip-mode

Just get over it. It’s one of the least offensive offenses I can imagine.

• sbarash

What’s with the giant screen shot of the Google web page in the middle of the article?

Looks like you’re just trying to fill space….

• BooTs

I don’t understand the current trend of giant pictures. They waste a lot of space on the main TR page.

• Farting Bob

1994 called and they want their “giant” 600×338 image back.

• BooTs

I measured the text assoiciated with the picture at 1.5 mini-postit notes and the image at 2.0 mini-postit notes.

I visit TR to read the news and expect commentary much more than to look at pictures.

• BlackStar

I’m actually excited about Chrome OS. Thin clients make sense for the vast majority of users that consume (rather than generate) content.

• YellaChicken

I very much like the look and general concept of this too, however, getting consumers to let go of Windows in favour of this is likely to be an uphill battle.

I was trying to convince the missus that this would be useful on her machine the other day as she’s always going on about how slow it is, how long it takes to boot, how often it locks up/crashes and in particular how slow Flash games (Farmville) are on there. But try as I might to sell her on a system that’s designed not to get bogged down with crap she just wouldn’t let go of the fact that she might want to use it for other things that ChromeOS might not do (Can I have iTunes/Media Player on there? Can I put Office on it? No, I don’t want Google Docs I want Office. Can I use it for numerous things I’ve never actually used the laptop for and likely never will?)

I can see a lot of people treating this like they did with Linux when that was introduced in Netbooks. In many cases it’ll get all of 5 minutes use followed by ‘Ok, can I have Windows now, this XPAntiVirus2009 thing that’s popped up says it doesn’t support ChromeOS and if I want to clean my computer I need to be running XP’