OCZ adds 750W Fatal1ty PSU

Johnathan "Fatal1ty" Wendel has had his nicknamed emblazoned on OCZ Technology power supplies for well over a year now, and OCZ is still in cahoots with the pro gamer. As a matter of fact, the company has added a 750W model to its line of Fatal1ty-branded PSUs.

The new unit can pump out 650W of 12V power via no less than four discrete rails. OCZ also includes a 135-mm double-ball-bearing fan, red LED lights, a totally bitchin’ Fatal1ty sticker, and a modular cabling system. The unit comes with both SLI and 80 Plus Bronze certification—the latter means the PSU’s efficiency should lie in the 82-85% range at loads of 20-100%. Oh, and OCZ offers a cool five years of warranty coverage.

You can tell Wendel stands behind the product, because OCZ’s press release quotes him as saying, "I worked with OCZ on this new modular 750W Fatal1ty power supply to give the strength and power to my PC; I need to win!!" (Yes, the two exclamation points are part of the quote.) OCZ Director of Product Management Ryan Edwards, meanwhile, says working with Wendel was a "great experience," and that the pro gamer shares OCZ’s "commitment to performance and reliability aimed at supporting the user in even the most intense competitive gaming and enthusiast environments."

If you, too, want a power supply with a bitchin’ Fatal1ty sticker and matching red LED, but 750W is too rich for your blood, OCZ also offers a similar 550W unit. That product goes for $69.99 shipped at Newegg, but you can get the price down to $39.99 after a mail-in rebate and coupon code.

• bored_and_agitated

am I the only guy who read this post as tongue in cheek?

• dustyjamessutton

I love my OCZ ModXStream PSU, but I will not buy any product with a famous person endorsement on it, especially with the logo of a person I don’t particularly like. Fatal1ty is arrogant in my own personal opinion. I repeat, my personal opinion. I’d love to challenge him to a REAL match with a pellet gun. I wouldn’t use my high-powered rifle, as I don’t wish to harm him in any way. Pellet guns just sting a bit.

• flip-mode

q[

• d0g_p00p

Here we go. I have not read the comments yet but I am guessing I’ll see posts about 4 things or so

1. Someone complaining about how their 100 watt power supply is a better deal and this is a waste of money

2. Jealous plebes bitching about having Fatal1ty branded hardware

3. Commenting about how this is not “newsworthy”

and of course

4. A played out “can it run crysis” quote

*edit*:

2, 3, & 4 have been filled already. Jesus you guys are predictable

• bdwilcox

Here we go. I have not read the comments yet, but I am guessing I’ll see a post about one thing in particular: someone complaining about other people’s complaining.

*edit*:

Yup, there it is. Man, you guys are predictable… :o)

• way2strong

what’s with the semicolon in the fatality quote?

• Palek

Not directly related to this, but I was wondering if my current 430W PSU would cut it for a new build, so I had a quick look for a power calculator and found this:

§[< http://www.antec.outervision.com/<]§ Pretty handy, and appears to be up to date.

• ludi

Nice work if you can get it.

• nimajneb5000

I have built about 6 or 7 computers in the last year and 3 of them have the 550w Fatal1ty power supply. They all work great and I haven’t had a single problem with any of them. They are well constructed and quite heavy. I would definitely recommend them to others.

• just brew it!

The modular cabling and 5 year warranty are nice. But they didn’t need a professional gamer to tell them that.

I also have an intense dislike for anything with superfluous LEDs on it.

Meh.

• Freon

Some dude who won some Quake 3 tournaments years and years ago slaps his name on another of hundreds of similar power supplies.

I don’t get it, and this is not newsworthy.

• bdwilcox

I believe he’s Scott’s friend. Guess he’s just helping a brother out.

• internetsandman

Was there really nothing else going on today that you decided to call this newsworthy? Most, if not all enthusiasts wouldn’t buy anything with his name on it. I’ve read way to many horror stories about cheaply made RAM and PSU’s with that nickname on them to make me wanna go anywhere near that stuff.

Edit: meant to post as a comment, not a reply, my bad

• Meadows

Cyril’s doing the advertising work, not Scott.

• bdwilcox

Scott’s his boss. I’m sure Cyril wouldn’t say no.

• Sargent Duck

But can it run Crysis?

Oh, wait….sorry.

• blastdoor

If only I could buy Fatal1ty ethernet cables… surely that would fill the void in my soul…

• Meadows

Monster doesn’t want competition.

• rodney_ws

Now I will say this… the Fatal1ty headset I got on sale from New Egg was $30 well spent. Comfortable, good sound and it (to date) has held up better than any previous set. However, I do agree with the idea that buying something because it has a guy’s name on it is pretty silly.

• djgandy

Ah maybe now I will start getting more headshots.

• Jigar

Selling a product with the gamer’s name on it, waste of money. Endorsement idea is crappy, imo.

• Black Jacque

Just what the Builder World needs, ‘Yet Another High Wattage Highly Efficient PSU’.

The trend with box power consumption is generally downward. Intel i5 and i7 CPUs and ATI Radeon 5000-GPUs in non-Crossfire configurations max-out at about +300W.

Why can’t we have <400W Highly Efficient PSUs? That is PSUs that are ‘right-sized’ for 85% of the systems actually built?

TechReport, save us all money in purchase price and operating costs, by not pimping PSUs almost all of us don’t need.

• ModernPrimitive