Google TV aims to bridge TV, web this fall

The areas of overlap between Google and Apple have just grown a little bit larger. Earlier today, the search giant announced Google TV, a platform intended to bring "everything you love about the web to your television." Eat your heart out, Apple TV!

As Google explains in the following introductory clip, video may be easier to find and consume on the web, but it’s generally more enjoyable to watch on a big-screen TV in your living room. Google aims to bridge the two by letting users find channels, recorded shows, websites, and YouTube clips via a simple search field on their TV screen:

Google says it’s already partnered up with Sony and Logitech to build Google TV inside of "televisions, Blu-ray players and companion boxes." You can expect Google TV-enabled products to start hitting Best Buy stores some time this fall.

As we understand it, Google TV is built on top of the Android mobile platform and Chrome web browser. Google intends to release a development kit and programming interfaces for Google TV so that developers "can build even richer applications and distribute them through Android Market."

• Thanato

me to. left over computer parts, and a ps3 bluetooth keyboard, and a hotswap bay for the movie hard drive. voila. I’ve been at it for years.

I hopes this has a positive impact on on demand video’s. The quality of the video’s have been getting better. I don’t bother to get cable, so big saving for me as most of the shows I want to watch can be found one way or another. If only the US had better broadband, then this internet tv stuff would be perfect.

• Prospero424

Do me a favor and go search for a TV show on YouTube. Any popular TV show.

I’ll wait…

But hell, maybe you’re right and they’ll pull it off. I’m not saying it’s impossible, just that I’m skeptical, especially considering the failures we’ve seen from other big players making similar moves.

• BobbinThreadbare

I already do this with my PS3.

• squngy

Seriously, this is google were talking about!

How do you know you won’t get millions of fan-sites and massage boards when you type WOW or Wiki in google search?
    How do you know you’ll get the official sites on top?

• Prospero424

Hah! Google toilet…

But they’ve already got them in Japan!

• MadManOriginal

Well, there’s the Google knowing everything you view on TV part. And no I don’t use a spell checker although I usually spell check my own posts manually. :shrug:

Next step, seriously: §[<http://current.com/shows/supernews/91659341_the-google-toilet.htm<]§ (nsfw)

• Prospero424

Dude, I understand what you’re saying, and I sympathize. I really do. It’s just that of all the places to bring this up…

And it’s “dystopian”, BTW.

• insulin_junkie72

In regards to the input question, I noticed this on one of Google’s Google TV developer sites:
    /[http://www.google.com/tv/developer/#navigation-is-critical<]§ On the same site, they also recommend using H.264 for video encoding.

• puppetworx

Will you be able to watch Hulu etc. with this? How about HD?

Is this going to be a Google Ad supported platform or is monetisation solely based on app store revenue?

• MadManOriginal

lol. Except I do own a TV although I don’t use it a lot. I’m not like some anti-TV nazi but people get waaay too obsessed over being able to be constantly entertained or omg! missing a show! plus all the hoopla that surrounds the entertainment industry.

Maybe it’s not surprising that so many distopian depictions prominently include video of some sort. Constant and pervasive entertainment, not religion, is the opiate of the masses.

• Prospero424

Always a classic:

§[<http://www.theonion.com/articles/area-man-constantly-mentioning-he-doesnt-own-a-tel,429/<]§ "I, personally, would rather spend my time doing something useful than watch television," Green told a random woman Monday at the Suds 'N' Duds Laundromat, noticing the establishment's wall-mounted TV. "I don't even own one." "Green has lived without television since 1989, when his then-girlfriend moved out and took her set with her. "

• Meadows

No, it’s because people don’t pay debts.

• Prospero424

Well, embedding this type of technology in TV sets in inevitable, and is a welcome move. I just remain EXTREMELY skeptical about the implementation.

For example: say I do what the video discusses and enter the name of my favorite TV show into the search field. How much do you want to bet that the actual entire original episode of the show that I want to watch will be buried in an absolute mountain of YouTube search results of clips and fan edits of the show?

I just don’t see how this will solve the “information overload” complaint being cited.

Still, all we have to go on is a REALLY rough presentation. Maybe they’ll come up with something cool. But from the description currently being given, I think I’ll prefer the Boxee interface.

• Ricardo Dawkins

Interesting idea.

• fantastic

HTPC is better.
    EOF

• insulin_junkie72

I could see them throwing one of their Harmony remote line and one of their DeNovo mini keyboards into a blender, creating a hybrid keyboard/remote that costs a ton of $$$$$.

• MadManOriginal

Absolutely! But hey, at least it’s interactive and excercises the brain a little unlike almost everything on the boob tube.

• stmok

l[

• stmok

So…

=> Sony will be doing the TVs and set top boxes.
    => Logitech will also provide set top boxes. (Bundled with their remote.)
    => Intel will be providing the Atom CE4100 processor for both.
    => Adobe will provide Flash 10.1 support.
    => Best Buy will bring their retail infrastructure.
    => DISH Network will provide subscription content.

And the aim is to also include Netflix, Amazon Video On Demand, and YouTube.

• Farting Bob

All about 4 times more expensive than what youd expect a basic keyboard to cost im sure.

• grantmeaname

what is this “apple tv” thing?

• insulin_junkie72

Considering Logitech is one of the main partners, I’m sure they’ll have a whole host of add-on input devices available for purchase.

• iatacs19

you can use your smartphone or keyboard.

• 5150

This thread is not entertaining. Alt + Tab

• Welch

Never thought i’d be saying this about entertainment on a tech website but….. Right on MadMan!

People wonder why our economy is so crap… its because people feel entitled to 24/7 entertainment.

• ssidbroadcast

Wait, so… how do you type in your input into the search bar? Will my TV remote have some sort of blackberry-style keypad on it?

• MadManOriginal

Google knowing everything you view on TV too? hmmm…

OR there’s the other option: stop wasting so much time watching crappy TV and worrying about constant 24/7 entertainment and do something useful!

• NeelyCam

Sorry ARM; this thing has Intel Inside.

§[<http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/2010/20100520corp.htm<]§

• blastdoor

Can’t say that I find this very interesting.

Look, we all know what the most interesting thing to do on a TV would be — real, true, over the Internet on-demand TV/movies. Basically, Netflix streaming, but without artificial limits imposed by the content owners who all fear the future.

It doesn’t take anything technically special to achieve that. What it takes is somebody to get the content people to pull their heads out of their a$$es.

until then, the best solution is a PC or Mac Mini connected to your TV, because then you can get almost any video format you want onto your TV, along with picture slideshows. Right now I’ve got a mac mini attached to my TV and that’s pretty much all I use it for — I have no interest in browsing the web from my TV, even though I have that capability.

Share this post with your friends!