GeForce GTX 465 gives you Fermi for less

The busy Computex season did not wait for today’s U.S. holiday to come to an end. Instead, at 3AM Eastern time early this morning, Nvidia took the wraps off of its third video card derived from the GF100 GPU, the GeForce GTX 465. The GF100 is the same chip, based on the Fermi architecture, that powers the GeForce GTX 470 and 480 cards, as well.

Beyond its DX11-class capabilities, the GTX 465’s most notable attribute is its suggested price of $279. In fact, a range of different brands has GTX 465 cards listed at Newegg at just that asking price. That positions the GTX 465 in between a pair of offerings from AMD, the Radeon HD 5830 and 5850. However, Nvidia points out that many of the 465 cards come with a coupon for Just Cause 2, "which is a $50 value." I’m not sure I’d agree with that, but Just Cause 2 is a pretty little fun sandbox game, so it’s gotta be worth something.

The GTX 465’s feature set mirrors that of its elder brothers, but it’s going to be a little bit slower at everything due to selective hobbling.  Here’s a quick look at its specs compared to the 470 and 480, pulled straight out of Nvidia’s press materials.

Nearly every unit count is reduced somewhat in this variant of the chip. The highlights include the drop to a 256-bit aggregate memory interface, the loss of the corresponding ROP units, and, well, everything else, including fewer SPs ("CUDA cores," cough) and less texture filtering capacity. On paper, 465’s texture filtering rate and memory bandwidth are substantially lower than even the 5830’s.

We have this fine example of the GTX 465 from Zotac in Damage Labs for testing, but after I finished my Intel K-series processor review, I made the crazy decision to spend the holiday weekend with family.  For the time being, I’m sure you can find bar charts with performance data of some value at any number of outlets. We’ll add lame jokes and simmer, and our review will be out when the time is right.

• flip-mode

There’s no way I’d ever get the GTX 465 instead of the HD 5850.

The problem for AMD is nothing under the 5850 is attractive at all. 5770 is a joke when compared to last gen.

The problem for Nvidia is that it’s got nothing attractive at all.

Other than the 5850 and 5870, this is a very uninspired generation for graphics cards, and even the 5850 is hard to call inspired. 5870 is boss.

• LoneWolf15

I disagree on the 5850 being uninspired. Great card for the buck. Reference cards overclock easily and can meet a 5870 in performance. They also consume less power than most 5830 cards, and will fit in just about any case.

The 5770 isn’t a bad card for the crowd that games at 1680 x 1050. It matches a 4870 in almost all games; it just isn’t a high-power card. Of course, at $159, it’s not high-power priced, either.

• flip-mode

Re the 5850, it’s hard for me to call a harvest product inspired.

Re the 5770 – again, it can’t even match last gen’s cards with the same specs. It’s arguably the only choice there is, but that doesn’t make me like it.

I’ll quite contentedly sit out the first gen of DX11. With any luck, I’ll be able to grab a 5870 for $200 in the next 12 months.

• clone

Fermi almost guarantee’s it won’t happen…… the 5870’s will be phased out just prior to replacement if AMD does it right, I’ve been looking at HD 5770’s again for Crossfire to get my fix, I’ve seen them for $139.00 and $280 for 5870 perf isn’t that bad although $200 – $220 might actually get me to opt in.

• willyolio

/[

From what I recall, the 8800GTX era was when single GPU video cards encroached on the $1000 price point (8800 Ultra anyone?).

• wira020

I’m interested in knowing if people would actually buys them at current pricing.. Considering AMDs offering, it really just not making any sense… seriously…

BTW, AMD should just come out with a refresh and could totally crush Nvidia now..

• boing

Are one-slot gfx-cards completely out of fashion?

You can still get old-gen and low-end single-slot cards. Radeon 5670 and lower, nVidia GT240 and lower.

• Kurotetsu

Galaxy released a single slot GTX260 last year:

§[<http://www.galaxytech.com/en/productview.aspx?id=194<]§ So its not just the low end. I don't know if that card is still available though.

• LawrenceofArabia

And it looks like PowerColor may release a single slot 5770

• Krogoth

Thermal output of modern GPUs and super-fast GDDR5 makes it difficult to devise a single-slot cooler that doesn’t run into long-term reliability issues.

• grantmeaname

GDDR5 is less power hungry than older VRAM technologies. It’s all about the GPU.

• Wintermane

And again you all forget it wont stay at 279 for all that long. As every other card in history has done it will settle down into its spot….

• poulpy

Only if there’s any reason to do so as a business.
      AMD has had none to very little reason to do so over the last -what- 9 months therefore it hasn’t happened.

I don’t think this latest attempt changes the picture much, nVidia will need more than Fermi with disabled units because it still retains the power and noise characteristics of the high-end.
      Then given the size/price of the chip and the not so good yields I don’t see them putting more pressure on AMD price wise so I think we’re going to stay put until the next gen hardware rolls out.

Too bad for the consumer, not a bad time for AMD.

• can-a-tuna

You are right. The price can actually go higher.

• Wintermane

Are there enough people around to buy this card to keep its price high much less make it rise.

• Freon

Bah-dump TSSSSHHHhhh!

Beat me to it.

• flip-mode

Thanks for nothing.

• MuParadigm

It hardly matters if the price drops little. ATI will lower their prices in response, and the 465 has a ridiculous power footprint, almost identical to the 470. You’re better off spending a little extra for the Radeon 5850, unless you have a specific need for CUDA or PhysX.

• willyolio

GTX465: Why buy a 5850, when you can have the performance of a 5830 for the same price?

• bthylafh

Another year before Intel buys out Nvidia?

• wira020

Lol, you’re good…

• toyota

/[<"The 465's texture filtering rate matches the Radeon HD 5850's on paper, but its memory bandwidth is substantially (~26 GB/s) lower than even the 5830's."<]/ um what? the 5850 has twice the texture fill rate as the gtx465. gtx465 has 26.7 GT/s 5850 has 52.2 GT/s

• Damage

Ah, I was looking at the 5850’s FP16 numbers… will correct.

• Krogoth

This guy is Nvidia’s 5830.

I was hoping that Nvidia could bring GF100 into a more workable and competitive form. It doesn’t seemed to be the case here.

AMD has less of a reason to engage in a price war. They are probably glad since Intel has been relentless on the CPU front.

• Voldenuit

Less Fermi is less. /internet meme

• Fighterpilot

Please don’t focus on heat,power usage and noise…or even performance.
    Instead think 3D,Cuda and Physx which are far more important and desirable.

Brian_S

• thermistor

You go, Damage! I guess I’m like many others, I’ll peruse the other half-dozen sites I regularly visit without any prompting. But TR is the authoritative voice of all things tech.

Oh, and I’m known as a total suck-up at my day job, too.

There seems to be more and more 2xxGT series cards on sale – just a hunch but they’ve got to be bleeding profitability right now, and just going for cash flow.

• ssidbroadcast

Yeah that guy was a total outcast, anyway.

• Damage

Outcast, your post has been nuked. Please quit spamming our forums with links to another site. You keep doing that, and it’s getting to be annoying.

• outcast

well i say no review so i post one that i came across….

• Damage

Yeah, that works once or twice, maybe. But when you keep posting article summaries and links from the same site multiple times in multiple threads as aggressively as you do, you’ve moved from the realm of helpful participant into viral marketing. Now that you’ve crossed that line, it’s time for you to stop. Next link earns you a ban. Thanks for your understanding.

• outcast

what every one in a million site…I’ll just leave …

• Damage

Cool. Thanks!

• outcast

*[http://www.anandtech.com/show/3745/nvidias-geforce-gtx-465<]§

• darryl

Well at least now we can speculate on what Nvidia planned to do with those Fermi Chips that weren’t up to spec for the 480/470 cards. When I read about how hobbled this card is, I can’t get excited about buying one. Might as well spring for the Red 5850 ala MadManOriginal’s post. I’d been hoping the 465 might help me in my struggle to decide between the 5850 and the 470, but no such luck. Them’s the breaks, I guess.
    did i say “speculate”? §[<http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=18562<]§ Seems a bit more solid now.

• darryl

Well at least now we can more easily speculate on what Nvidia was planning to do with those Fermi chips that were not up to snuff for the 480/470 cards. Who is Nvidia (not) listening to?
    How’d this happen? a double post?

• marvelous

This should be $250 max. Even at $250 it still would suck.

• pogsnet
    • ImSpartacus

Family, what matter of blasphemy is this? Scott, you are our slave!

*cracks whip*

• VILLAIN_xx

Oh the irony.

😀

• dpaus

That’s what they made the shields out of, right?

• MadManOriginal

From a few reviews (Anand and xbitlabs) this card seem like the 5830 of the NV lineup – a little too pricey for the performance, you might as well go higher and get a real bump in performance if it’s needed or go lower and save some money.

• Vasilyfav

From the Anandtech review, the GTX 465 has the same power consumption and maybe 5% better performance than a gtx 285. Not much progress for almost 2 years time imo.

• Farting Bob

Yea on average only marginally better than the 285 despite the nearly 2 years of progress and a boat load more transistors. Oh and it uses just as much power with just as high temps as the 470.
      Really this is a poor deal. ~10% slower than a 5850 and it still has all the bad features from the 470 (noise, power, heat).

• ssidbroadcast

?? So I guess this is just after a whole lot of binning and harvesting going on? Or is this a new stepping?